Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

ghouldaddy wrote: »
    Terrible shame about the delay. Some of the new combat features sound great.

Yep it is a major bummer. On the other hand though i would prefer a completely polished game rather than a pre xmas game with a **** load of new years patches!

The Portal 2 delay was for best and im sure the Deus Ex delay was necessary as well.

Fallout NV... Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha. To be honest, while generally that article has me excited, the comments about (spoiler texted for the super-sensitive)
    the romance being jettisoned make it fairly obvious Bioware are too lazy / couldn't be bothered to write the various permutations of romantic partner that may have happened because of ME1 & 2. So I'm calling it right now; whatever romantic choice you may or may not have picked over the course of this space opera, within 5 minutes of mass effect 3 your partner will arbitrarily decide to dump you, but conveniently remain a squadmate to keep the plot tidy & on we'll go into the final chapter without a backwards look. I'm disappointed because whilst this whole sub-plot was clunky & just a bit silly, it was nice to cultivate a feeling of ... attachment? towards another character. Now it's obvious that time & effort spent will be dropped for the sake of easy coding. Shame.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha. To be honest, while generally that article has me excited, the comments about (spoiler texted for the super-sensitive)
    the romance being jettisoned make it fairly obvious Bioware are too lazy / couldn't be bothered to write the various permutations of romantic partner that may have happened because of ME1 & 2. So I'm calling it right now; whatever romantic choice you may or may not have picked over the course of this space opera, within 5 minutes of mass effect 3 your partner will arbitrarily decide to dump you, but conveniently remain a squadmate to keep the plot tidy & on we'll go into the final chapter without a backwards look. I'm disappointed because whilst this whole sub-plot was clunky & just a bit silly, it was nice to cultivate a feeling of ... attachment? towards another character. Now it's obvious that time & effort spent will be dropped for the sake of easy coding. Shame.

That's a pretty extreme and negative view of things. There's absolutely no real info as to what exactly the 'romance' options will be, other then the fact that there wont be any new characters to pick. I don't see how this is them being lazy. In fact, adding in new 'hot/crazy/weird' romance options would be lazier then writing a convincing return for previous possible relationships.

I trust Bioware and their design/writing, so i'll wait till we have more info before making any judgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Well said Kiith. If anything I wouldn't see Bioware as being lazy. This is the final chapter in the ME trilogy of games and a new love interest would just balls it all up and make it even more complicated than it already is, unnecessarily too. It's complicated enough as it is, at least the way I played it.
    I certainly would like to know who the hell told Liara about Miranda. I'd take them out back and teach 'em a thing or two. Probably was Miranda herself, da siren :pac: Seems like something she'd do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kiith wrote: »
    That's a pretty extreme and negative view of things. There's absolutely no real info as to what exactly the 'romance' options will be, other then the fact that there wont be any new characters to pick. I don't see how this is them being lazy. In fact, adding in new 'hot/crazy/weird' romance options would be lazier then writing a convincing return for previous possible relationships.

I trust Bioware and their design/writing, so i'll wait till we have more info before making any judgements.

Well it's going on form and all likelyhood: Mass Effect 2 did this already, by glossing over many of the "major" decisions in ME1 where nothing you did in that game had any real or lasting effect on how ME2 panned out (eg, whether you
    saved the council or not
    just meant a few lines of dialogue being different in ME2, everything else stayed the same otherwise. Now we have 2 games worth of decisions & permutations that the coders & scriptwriters have to cater for - I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware decide to skirt around it by ignoring them. I'm not blaming or accusing them of anything, I'll just be disappointed if it turns out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

If anything I wouldn't see Bioware as being lazy.

Dragon Age 2 environments say hello.

In fairness though, there are a crazy amount of permutations that they have to take into the final game, so I wouldn't be too perturbed if they cut away some of the (admittedly entertaining) chaff in order to have a great send off for the trilogy. However, if they turn it into a third person shooter and make the RPG-lite feel of ME2 into I Can't Believe It's An RPG for ME3, I will be less forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,141 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pixelburp wrote: »

I disagree with you.

It doesn't say
    NO romance
    , it says
    no NEW romance

To me, this means
    there will be romance stories with charactors, but it will be with Liara/Ashley/Miranda etc. I reckon those will be the three that have the most impact on the story. If you hooked up with Miranda in second, it will have a big part to play with Cerberus being out to get you.

this is, as always called, a space opera - the romantic connection between Shep and whomever else will have a big part to play in the final act.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

To me, this means
    If you hooked up with Miranda in second, it will have a big part to play with Cerberus being out to get you.

Unless
    she left Cerberus at the end of ME2
    , although I might change that on a replay if it leads to some Eastenders-style drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Miranda isn't confirmed yet as a squad mate yet either is she?

We could sadly be getting ahead of ourselves here with romance options musings.

I suppose if she isn't a squad mate, she could still be a romance option like other characters in the series so far, but they always seemed to bit on the side options, not major ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I was with Ashley in ME1, then she was quite snarky with me in ME2 so I said **** that and gave Jack a poke and got with Miranda. It will be interesting to see how all that will play out in ME3.

• Advertisement

Source: X360A.ORG
    Mass Effect 3 To Be the Latest Game That's 'Better With Kinect'?

A member on the BioWare forums has stumbled upon the cover art from Mass Effect 3, which was briefly put up by accident on the EA Store. No big deal you might say. That is until you look a little closer and see the purple ' Better With Kinect Sensor' strapline emblazoned across the top of the box.

Is Mass Effect 3 set to be the next core game to have Kinect features crowbarred into it? Will you be projecting your biotic powers with an arm gesture, messing with the Normandy's controls or mining for minerals using Kinect? Who knows what form the motion-tracking device's features will take in Mass Effect 3, assuming that the cover art is accurate, that is.

Take a look at the offending thumbnail image of the cover prematurely published on EA's Store below, then look out for more Mass Effect 3 coverage from E3 2011. Perhaps then we'll know for sure whether Kinect will be in Mass Effect 3 when it releases in Q1 2012.

Mass-Effect-3-Kinect.jpg

Thoughts?

As long as I can still play it with a controller, and this Kinect feature doesn't **** up the game or dumb it down anymore, it will be hard to complain, but who knows what it means yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Source: X360A.ORG

Thoughts?

As long as I can still play it with a controller, and this Kinect feature doesn't **** up the game or dumb it down anymore, it will be hard to complain, but who knows what it means yet.

most likely just some space balls to block, commander shepard the space balls are coming right at us, (shepard)- ok, slap* block* kick* wiggle* whew this is physically demanding. OH NO not the terrible space tread mills quickly shepard jog in place on them and wear them down. OK Good now paint a picture of an elephant to scare them away (Shepard- "@#$% this $%&@)

-: stolen from gameinformer comment

Looks like the Kinect support is all voice commands, for the conversations and for controlling the squad in combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Looks like the Kinect support is all voice commands, for the conversations and for controlling the squad in combat.

"Garrus, please leave the room and go do calibrations on every system in the Normandy"

"Miranda...to my quarters please"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Just watched Casey Hudson show an extended demo (The Krogan princess level, and the opening sequence on Earth)

It looks good, but... I feel dirty for liking it. It's like COD/BF and Gears Of War had a test tube baby, and it grew into a Krogan. Yuck. Obviously the combat had to be improved, but how much? I thought ME2 was great. Lacked the story of ME1, but the improved combat was great. Does it really need many more improvements? (Apart from maybe grenades and inventory). Now it's all barrel rolls, "Press Y for point of interest", and f**king OmniBlade assassinations.

Feel this could piss off the fans like DA2 :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought it looked very like the 2nd game, which isnt a bad thing. ME2 was amazing. In the extended trailer, he said that the RPG aspects were deeper then in the 2nd as well. Probably won't go back to the way it was in the 1st game, but if it was similar to the last game i'd be happy.

Either way, it looked pretty amazing.

If it ends up being like ME2 with some extra customisation and RPG elements beefed up a bit, it would a good step in the right direction.

One can only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Mass Effect 3 Kinnect Trailer:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

This snook out today.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305126/news/mass-effect-3-collectors-edition-detailed-out-march-2012-amazon/

Anyone worried that Miranda hasn't been announced as being in this yet.If I can say "Miranda...Nice ass" with Kinect I may end up actually buying a Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will be getting the collectors edition for the exclusive in game content alone!

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Will be getting the collectors edition for the exclusive in game content alone!

Same as.

A tad expensive but frig it.

Jaysus! Full multiplayer mode in ME 3?????????? The rumours are flying round LA

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305786/news/mass-effect-3-are-these-the-first-multiplayer-details/

Nearly positive they said there would be no multiplayer in ME3...

I would prefer them to put all the effort into ending the trilogy with a brilliant single player campaign, not a limited one cause they were too busy adding kinect features and multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Meh to the kinect features. The few video snips shown look very impressive though, looks very polished.

More MP news/rumours. Online will be 4 player co-op in a horde mode with just a few levels with the intention of them to be played again and again. Sounds very strage

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307597/news/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-is-real-based-on-original-online-missions/

Oh and a glimpse of
    Miranda
    was seen as well

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306475/previews/mass-effect-3-why-biowares-finale-will-make-you-sad/

Oh, not looking at any of those links, I want my ME3 playthrough to be spoiler free, its proving difficult already.

Fem Shep finally getting in on the action. CVG report bother her and mmmm male shep will be on the cover of the collectors edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Co-op? Sheesh. Hopefully it doesnt take any of the polish away from the storyline. Bioware should just go all out and make a shooter, seems like they are pining for it

Ya, really no need to tack on a half assed MP mode just because its popular these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, really no need to tack on a half assed MP mode just because its popular these days.

I agree completely. I doubt EA agrees with us though....

Advertisement