Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Defo more Tali needed. Oh and Thane better still be alive.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just after starting Mass Effect 2 on PC there. Finished the first on earlier today and hadn't bought the DLC for ME2 before in my previous playthrough. Man they make it a chore to buy them all. 8 transactions to buy 4 pieces of DLC. I would have given up if I was planning to buy them all. I do hope they revamp the system on PC for purchasing things like this. Maybe do it ingame or something.

Playing through these games again, along with the details that are coming out about game mechanics etc. are really getting me in the mood for the third game. Liking the details that are coming out, but it reains to be seen whether these are true or not.

First screens from Mass Effect 3 from GameInformer have showed up online.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/20/exclusive55_5f00_mass55_5f00_effect55_5f00_355_5f00_screens55.aspx

Looks good. Needs more lens flare, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

First screens from Mass Effect 3 from GameInformer have showed up online.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/20/exclusive55_5f00_mass55_5f00_effect55_5f00_355_5f00_screens55.aspx

Looks good. Needs more lens flare, please!

Is the first one and the third one a 'spot the difference' or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nothing too interesting there, the graphical style looks identical to ME2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Just found the first two games linear and boring. Maybe Mass Effect 3 will be different... doubt it!

They also feel far too simplistic and consoley. Many new games that have amazing potential suffer from this, see Mafia 2 and Crysis 2!

Looking forward to next gen consoles to come out.. might temporarily improve the quality of PC Games!

I would imagine there are many developers out there feeling like they have their hands tied trying to make games behind all those console restrictions.

But more to point;

What do you guys think of the planet navigation in the first two games? I think its lazy and the side quests don't feel part of the game at all!

Maybe some of you can let me know what you love about the games, rather than offering worthless contributions such as below;
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dunno what you're looking for man, if you don't like ME1 or 2, believe me you're not gonna like 3 so don't know what anyone can say to change your mind. I usually don't go for side missions but in ME2 I did absolutely everything, only trophy left to get is the Insane mode. Maybe its just not your cuppa tea. Like I tried Dragon Age and didn't like it at all while others say they much prefer it to ME series. Different Strokes I spose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

We shouldn't have to justify why we like the game to anyone.

I love Mass Effect. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Loco wrote: »
    Just found the first two games linear and boring. Maybe Mass Effect 3 will be different... doubt it!

They also feel far too simplistic and consoley. Many new games that have amazing potential suffer from this, see Mafia 2 and Crysis 2!

Looking forward to next gen consoles to come out.. might temporarily improve the quality of PC Games!

I would imagine there are many developers out there feeling like they have their hands tied trying to make games behind all those console restrictions.

But more to point;

What do you guys think of the planet navigation in the first two games? I think its lazy and the side quests don't feel part of the game at all!

Maybe some of you can let me know what you love about the games, rather than offering worthless contributions such as below;

Long time RPG fan here. I've played most major titles since the late 90s, such as the Baldurs gates, Fallouts, Icewind dales, Elder Scrolls, Planescape torment, Neverwinter nights etc,. and I love Mass Effect.

It brings a different cinematic quality to the RPG genre. Yes it's has some dull and repetitive moments but there are very few RPGs that don't. Yes it's also a bit linear in comparison to some older titles but when the high level of character animation and voice acting requires the budget to be bigger than most hollywood blockbusters unfortunately some compromises have to be made.

Several different choices in a 2D isometric & text based game from the 90's could be represented simply by changing a paragraph of text or a few low res textures here and there. To represent the same number of choices in a game of mass effects visual and audio quality could represent millions of dollars of extra spending on voice acting, animation and visual effects. Unfortunately it makes it more difficult to build a non-linear game, but the benefits of cinematic quality more than make up for it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Delayed until the "first 3 months of 2012"

But, sweet jesus...

me35401.jpg

CURSE YOU, BIOWARE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Healium wrote: »
    Delayed until the "first 3 months of 2012"

Balls to that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Now I might go outside during November!

NOOOOOOOoooooooo!

Mr. K wrote: »
    Now I might go outside during November!

Not with Skyrim and Battlefield 3 out you wont.

I know i wont.

1252274980358_f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

More time to play Uncharted 3 i suppose!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    Not with Skyrim and Battlefield 3 out you wont.

I know i wont.

Agreed , two must have games.

xlarge_c.jpg

I guess we can confirm Liara as a recruitable character (assuming that's not a different Asari). Good thing too, as Shadow Broker was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kiith wrote: »
    I guess we can confirm Liara as a recruitable character

Assuming it's not another Asari, and assuming that it's not just a once off like the Shadow Broker. Not as DLC but maybe a once off mission...

She always struck me as a bit whiney to be honest. I like her, but seeing her battling for the future of the galaxy in a fire or fistfight seemed a bit odd to me. She's an archaeologist after all, albeit one with biotics...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

LIST OF THE CONFIRMED SQUADMATES:
    ■Liara (Mass Effect 1/ Liar of the Shadow Broker)
    ■Ashley/Kaiden (Mass Effect 1)
    ■Garrus (if he's alive) (Mass Effect 1 and 2)
    ■James Sanders (New Character from Mass Effect 3)

RETURNING CHARACTERS:
    ■David Anderson
    ■Donnel Udina
    ■EDI
    ■The Illusive Man
    ■Jack
    ■Jeff "Joker" Moreau
    ■Legion
    ■Mordin Solus
    ■Tali'Zorah vas Normandy
    ■Urdnot Wrex

Keep up, nubs :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does anyone think the "wider market opportunities" may refer to wii2?

/\/ollog wrote: »

Apparently, ME will be hitting the portables (phones and handhelds)! Is this what the f*cking delay is about!!! :mad:

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/05/05/battlefield-3-and-mass-effect-3-are-going-portable/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Apparently, ME will be hitting the portables (phones and handhelds)! Is this what the f*cking delay is about!!! :mad:

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/05/05/battlefield-3-and-mass-effect-3-are-going-portable/

I thought the delay was just to allow them to increase the Awesomeness to buttonpress ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

/\/ollog wrote: »

Well, rumoured 2wii specs are equal to or slightly more powerful than the current gen, plus with the increased media storage on the game discs (equal to BluRay if memory serves), it's certainly a possiblility. However, Nintendo have moved too far from the core market with the Wii, and unless ME3 undergoes a monumental DA2 style "streamlining", I think Bioware won't see it as the best fit. Plus, how will they explain the outcomes of the previous two games? Two interactive comics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

ME3 would be some launch title but it'd be odd.ME1 is still exclusive to 360,ME2 only on PS3/360 then ME3 would be on PS3/360/Wii2.(I'm not counting PC just consoles,PC has the trilogy).Bioware should try to release a Mass Effect boxset on every platform.I'm worried about these trimming the "unnecessary" RPG elements might make this series a 3rd person Squad Shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I was bummed about the delay till 2012 until i heard Assassins Creed Revelations is coming out November-ish. Between that and Skyrim i am sure it will help pacify the wait until ME3.

More details from Eurogamer
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-new-mass-effect-3-details
    Here's the article..behind spoilers
    A slew of Mass Effect 3 magazine coverage has been absorbed and summarised by the internet.
    Non-spoiler information first, courtesy of NeoGAF.
    Mass Effect 3 develops melee fighting and each character class will have a special move. An Engineer will use an Omni-tool fire lash attack, for example, while an Adept will throw people back and stun them.
    In Mass Effect 2, powers were upgraded three times and customised at the top, fourth tier; did you want a wider impact zone or a more focused blast? In Mass Effect 3 a Vanguard can tweak Charge to first slam an opponent harder, then do more damage, then be used more often.
    What's more, powers can combine - a Concussive Shot can work with Cry Ammo to freeze a large area.
    In Mass Effect 2, enemies advanced on Shepard's spot of cover throughout the battle. BioWare will enhance this for Mass Effect 3, abolishing the use of a single hiding spot for each battle. And movement will be essential to tackle some of the new game's harder enemies, as Shepard manoeuvres, undetected, to a rear blind/weak spot to deliver the fatal blow.
    The opponents Cerberus will throw at Shepard include heavy troopers with enormous armour and Assassins with the same biotic capabilities as you. There are also Phantoms who wield blades.
    But, don't panic, this time Shepard can do a roly poly. Or a commando roll, whatever you want to call it. Among other new moves.
    Stop reading now to avoid story and character information.
    I mean it:
    look away.
    Your Mass Effect 3 squad will be smaller than your ME2 squad, which had 12 recruits. "We're focused on a smaller squad with deeper relationships and more interesting interplay in Mass Effect 3," Mass Effect overlord Casey Hudson explained.
    "And we're bringing everyone back - every main character is in Mass Effect 3 somewhere."
    Confirmed as Mass Effect 3 recruits are Garrus, Liara, Kaidan, Ashley and Tali (depending on if they're alive). Wrex sounds to be in the balance. Each character's equipment will be updated.
    There are apparently no new romance options in Mass Effect 3. BioWare revealed that 70 per cent of Mass Effect 2 gamers weren't loyal to their Mass Effect 1 love interest. And this will have repercussions in Mass Effect 3.
    Shepard has become an enemy of Cerberus because Shepard joined the Alliance. Why did Shepard do that? Because Cerberus is working with the Reapers. Why? We don't yet know.
    Throughout Mass Effect 3, Shepard will venture to the homeworlds the Asari, Turians, Salarians and Quarians. And, of course, Shepard will explore Earth, including a Seattle-Vancouver mega-city before and after a Reaper attack. Shepard will also explore Mars.
    Finally, the biggest spoiler.
    Stop looking.
    Shepard can pilot a 50-foot Cerberus Atlas mech. And he'll need firepower like this when fighting a 600-foot Reaper on one of the massive levels.
    The scale of Mass Effect 3, BioWare said, will dwarf not only previous Mass Effect games, but also anything Unreal Engine 3 has been used for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Well, rumoured 2wii specs are equal to or slightly more powerful than the current gen, plus with the increased media storage on the game discs (equal to BluRay if memory serves), it's certainly a possiblility. However, Nintendo have moved too far from the core market with the Wii, and unless ME3 undergoes a monumental DA2 style "streamlining", I think Bioware won't see it as the best fit. Plus, how will they explain the outcomes of the previous two games? Two interactive comics?

me2 was already monumentally "streamlined", i'd hate to see what would happen if they did it again.

There are apparently no new romance options in Mass Effect 3. BioWare revealed that 70 per cent of Mass Effect 2 gamers weren't loyal to their Mass Effect 1 love interest. And this will have repercussions in Mass Effect 3.

Excellent news. Like I'd break it off with
    Miranda
    ...No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

Terrible shame about the delay. Some of the new combat features sound great.

Advertisement