Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Put ME2 combat mechanics in ME1 and you have the perfect ME game right there. That's what 3 needs to be.

If ME2 was the first game of the series I wouldn't be waiting for the next in any great hurry. ME1 was a far more epic game hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

so you would play a game like kotor for the gameplay? heavy rain? lost oddesy? final fantasy? some games are made for gameplay super mario galaxy or gears of war are a good example, bioware's first game to be orientated at gameplay more so than story was me2 and then da2 "shudder"

A sub-par interactive experience is the last thing that should be forgiven in a 'game'. (Only) got good story/characters? Make a film.

Inventory management, class design, and the Mako all needed to be addressed from the first ME.

also how are games a bad story telling medium? books and movies have been telling stories for a 100 or more years whereas games are only in their infancy by comparison, and even at that there are some great games with great stories out there,

I played through (the average) Crysis 2. At the start of every other mission, it seemed, I was being told I had to hurry.

Turns out, that wasn't true... does that sound at all familiar? There being no real sense of urgency? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Fnz wrote: »
    I played through (the average) Crysis 2. At the start of every other mission, it seemed, I was being told I had to hurry.

Turns out, that wasn't true... does that sound at all familiar? There being no real sense of urgency? :D

nope cant say so, if im interested in the world and story of a game i will play through it just because i want to not because i need to, havent played crysis 2 heard its a crappy game, deus ex HR did urgency pretty well though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found ME2 a little disappointing because of the story. The story in the games isn't that good but it keeps it ticking along. ME2 definitely played a lot better than ME but the choices the player had were much more limiting and I think the biggie was the lack of any real antagonist. Saren filled that slot nicely in ME but ME2 just lead up to a disappointing boss battle. ME2 was too disjointed to me, it was like the way Dragon Quest tells it's stories with meaty side stories to the main event. However in the case of ME2 they weren't as well told or had as much impact as the well written Dragon Quest. If they can give me an much improved combat system from ME2, lets face it ME2 was a big improvement on ME but still far from good, and some better dialogue choices like in the first Mass Effect I'll be very happy.

I'll be staying away from the DLC for this one. Found the DLC in ME2 to be very disappointing, even the much lauded Shadow Broker which was very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seriously, fuck Dragon Age: Origins. Terribad combat.

Played much better on PC with a mouse but for western RPGs I find it's the dialogue choices that make the game, the combat usually stinks. Think ME2 was a good step in the right direction although I'd like western RPG companies to look at xenoblade which is a western style combat system done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I found ME2 a little disappointing because of the story. The story in the games isn't that good but it keeps it ticking along. ME2 definitely played a lot better than ME but the choices the player had were much more limiting and I think the biggie was the lack of any real antagonist.

Middle of a trilogy will do that, see also: Two Towers or Empire Strikes Back.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played much better on PC with a mouse

I am playing it on the PC. It's still awful.

Middle of a trilogy will do that, see also: Two Towers or Empire Strikes Back.

I though Empire Strikes Back was the best!
    I am playing it on the PC. It's still awful.

And I still agree with you that it's crap :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I though Empire Strikes Back was the best!

Is it because Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father and Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett?

It also didn't have imperial stormtroopers being beaten up by teddy bears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

More details emerge.

Sounds a bit like Horde mode Mass Effect style.

Source X360A.org and OXM
    The four player co-op survival mode that has you fighting increasingly difficult waves of Cerberus foes - you know, because they've been indoctrinated - according to the mag, has been planned since the beginning of the Mass Effect franchise, but Casey Hudson, Executive Producer, had only felt comfortable implementing it now.

The “Galaxy at War” mode will see you trek to various stages and face-off against eleven waves of foes that range from basic foot soldiers and assassin-like Phantoms to huge Atlas mechs. With a reward system and a character progression suite, the Galaxy at War mode will allow you to take a bigger stake in the larger battle from the single-player campaign. Yes, how you perform in the co-op mission has a result on the Shepard storyline… but only if you want it to.

With “War Assets” earnt in the single-player campaign, players can purchase allies, friendly fleets and even facilities such as radar stations, which will assist in the final battle. By doing enough of the single-player campaign though, there’s a potential you won’t have to participate in the Galaxy at War mode at all. However, the more you play and build up your MP characters, the more influence and power Shepard will have at his disposal in the single-player campaign's final battle if you wish to use it.
    By the sounds of it, the co-op will have you visiting areas you visited in the single-player campaign under the command of the gravely voiced Admiral Hackett, and will have you taking to arms and defending it in a bid to win the overall war. Your progress, as indicated by a colour coded map, will be viewable in-game or on other platforms – iOS devices, Facebook, etc – all of which will have their own “unique hooks.”

According to the mag, there are four classes to choose from: Soldier, Infiltrator, Engineer, and Sentinel; and players can also choose a race and a gender – including Drell and Krogans – as well as get their hands on plenty of unlockables. Each class has specific abilities – like Soldiers using the Omni-blade – as do the races – Krogan soldiers can do their typical charge attack by the sounds of it. Players will also have the ability to upgrade weapons and their armoury, whilst also being able to choose weapons and biotic powers before they start, as they work their way up to the level 20 cap and help save the galaxy in the process.

It’s not just about surviving though, as BioWare will offer mission objectives too, like retrieving data packets from around the map, protecting an ally while they hack, and more. If you’re a straight up killer though, you can earn points for kills or for assists. Get downed, fear not, an ally can help you up.

From the sounds of it, the Co-op stuff should be played before you play the single player campaign or before you finish it at least as it seems to directly effect some aspects of Shepards story, (if you want it to, as the article states).

I will refrain from commenting further on what I think of this, and hope it turns out like Assassins Creed Brotherhood, a fine addition to the series, and not like Dead Space 2's multiplayer.

nope cant say so

Really? Never left a NPC dangling, mid-peril, because you knew she wasn't going to fall, and that saving her it will simple trigger an event? I often take those moments to, leisurely, explore the area for loot and the like, in case I'm unable to after triggering said event.

I see this as one shortcoming of the medium when it comes to storytelling.

Really? Never left a NPC dangling, mid-peril, because you knew she wasn't going to fall, and that saving her it will simple trigger an event? I often take those moments to, leisurely, explore the area for loot and the like, in case I'm unable to after triggering said event.

I see this as one shortcoming of the medium when it comes to storytelling.

Deus Ex Human Revolution may punish you so! (if you haven't played it already that is and let those hostages die by exploring instead of moving forward).

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Deus Ex Human Revolution may punish you so! (if you haven't played it already that is and let those hostages die by exploring instead of moving forward).

Yeah, I heard that took people by surprise, because it's so rare in this type of game.

Yeah, I heard that took people by surprise, because it's so rare in this type of game.

Or in Mass Effect 2 if you continue to explore the Galaxy after the Collectors abduct the crew instead of going straight to the Omega 4 Relay, they get juiced in the giant Reaper Blender.

That caught some people by surprise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Or in Mass Effect 2 if you continue to explore the Galaxy after the Collectors abduct the crew instead of going straight to the Omega 4 Relay, they get juiced in the giant Reaper Blender.

That caught some people by surprise too.

I redid the end of my last playthrough because of it. It's brilliantly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A sub-par interactive experience is the last thing that should be forgiven in a 'game'. (Only) got good story/characters? Make a film.

Inventory management, class design, and the Mako all needed to be addressed from the first ME.

The three common complaints from ME1 was inventory, slow lifts, and the Mako.

Yes, the inventory was horrid in ME1. Took forever to scroll and you spent half your time getting rid of crap. No argument there.

But I feel like I'm the only one who actually liked the Mako. :mad: Sure, some of the combat on slopes was annoying because you couldn't shoot down......but I liked the way it handled and had little jets. Roving round the moon with it was good fun.

Also, elevators. The average joe just didn't understand them and it's why we didn't see them in ME2. It was in there to create a seemless, load-free experience. While the lift was moving, the next section was loading. But people didn't notice the lack of load screens......what they saw was a slow moving lift for no reason.

I prefer the ME1 lifts to endless loading screens in ME2. Atleast they could fill the 10 seconds with some witty dialogue from your party. The inter-party interaction was sub par in ME2 and I feel that contributed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,230 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

More details emerge.

Sounds a bit like Horde mode Mass Effect style.

Source X360A.org and OXM

From the sounds of it, the Co-op stuff should be played before you play the single player campaign or before you finish it at least as it seems to directly effect some aspects of Shepards story, (if you want it to, as the article states).

I will refrain from commenting further on what I think of this, and hope it turns out like Assassins Creed Brotherhood, a fine addition to the series, and not like Dead Space 2's multiplayer.

I'm really annoyed at this - I played ME1 and 2 as single player games, and the galaxy is set up by my actions. I don't want my either inability (lack of internet) or lack of interest in playing co-op with a bunch of people I do not know to have a significant negitive effect on how the trilogy ends for me.

I hope by the way they are saying 'if you want' that if I complete the game properly and do everything I can do in the single player game (as I did with ME1 and 2) that I will be at the level required to have an optimal ending.

tulsi083 wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3 is the conclusion to Shepard's story arch, of course it's going to have a finale!

who said there won't be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

At least they've confirmed that the multiplayer will not take-away from or enhance the single-player story in any way, shape, or fashion.

http://kotaku.com/5849115/does-this-video-answer-your-mass-effect-3-co+op-multiplayer-questions

Although in that video he says that if you've never played the Mass Effect series before, ME3 is a great place to start. No, it's not. ME1 is a great place to start.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    At least they've confirmed that the multiplayer will not take-away from or enhance the single-player story in any way, shape, or fashion.
    Although in that video he says that if you've never played the Mass Effect series before, ME3 is a great place to start. No, it's not. ME1 is a great place to start.

That's good news, a separate development house did the multiplayer.

Ya, its a weird thing to say that ME3 is a good place to start, he might mean its good enough to stand on its own, or that they are doing a huge reset and that our decisions in 1 and 2 will have minor consequences.

That's good news, a separate development house did the multiplayer.

Ya, its a weird thing to say that ME3 is a good place to start, he might mean its good enough to stand on its own, or that they are doing a huge reset and that our decisions in 1 and 2 will have minor consequences.

well they are hardly going to say anything else to be fair.

ME3 is going to be a massively pushed game, and while they will get good numbers by simply selling to those who got ME1 and ME2, they were never going to say if you haven't played the other two that ME3 is not for you.

I have no doubts they will cater for those that haven't played either - in a similar way to what they did in ME2, but I hope it is a bit more involved.

Or else he's not trying to limit sales of the game to just people that bought the first two.

Kiith wrote: »

http://kotaku.com/5849115/does-this-video-answer-your-mass-effect-3-co+op-multiplayer-questions

I dunno, going back to ME1 after ME2 was like replacing silk with a hairshirt.

If they have a canon "here is the story so far" option when creating a new shepard as well as something like the ME2 "right, you lost your savefile you dumb sonofabitch - tell us what happened" then ME3 should be a pretty good point to start.

Then if you really like it, you could go backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

If they have a canon "here is the story so far" option when creating a new shepard as well as something like the ME2 "right, you lost your savefile you dumb sonofabitch - tell us what happened" then ME3 should be a pretty good point to start.
    Personally I'd prefer them to go even further, I've multiple Shepard's spread across different profiles and I can't remember what I did in each. For example I started a brand new femshep for ME2 and was pee'd off that Wrex didn't make an appearance. Yeah I understand people new to the franchise won't have a clue who he was but for those of us who did play ME it would have been nice to have an checkbox to say he survived, same when choosing between Ashley Williams or the Plank.

Source:
    http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/mass-effect-3-has-one-time-online-activation-comes-on-a-single-disc/

Mass Effect 3 on one disc on all platforms....only half as awesome as ME2 so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Source:
    http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/mass-effect-3-has-one-time-online-activation-comes-on-a-single-disc/

Mass Effect 3 on one disc on all platforms....only half as awesome as ME2 so
    Or they have gotten better at compression.

Or they have gotten better at compression.

Agreed, if they can fit Skyrim on one disc, they can fit anything on a single disc. I just remember when they announced that ME2 was on 2 discs, they said it was because it was so awesome it wouldn't fit on one. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps better compression, but it's equally possible there's less content to fit. Less dialogue perhaps, or less map/level data to cram in. I'm not convinced #3 will be half as epic in scope and gameplay as #1 (and to a lesser extent) #2 were. It's the end of the trilogy & the convergence of the main plot arc - stands to reason there won't be as much adventure'ing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

pixelburp wrote: »
    Perhaps better compression, but it's equally possible there's less content to fit. Less dialogue perhaps, or less map/level data to cram in. I'm not convinced #3 will be half as epic in scope and gameplay as #1 (and to a lesser extent) #2 were. It's the end of the trilogy & the convergence of the main plot arc - stands to reason there won't be as much adventure'ing.

Im thinking less incidental dialogue, or less pre-rendered clips
    like the fight against the Collector ship after the Omega 4 relay, probably several vids there depending on how upgraded your ship was/wasnt

Advertisement