Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah not liking a lot of what I'm hearing about this game so far, obviously they've got to make money out of it but it seems like they want to make a generic shooter more than a deep rpg

Still plenty to be positive about though and still hopefully a day one purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darragh_G

After Mass Effect 2 selling well and Dragon Age 2's direction I think it's pretty fair to say that ME3 will be dumbed down. My only hope is that the story will be satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Apparently we'll be seeing multiplayer in some kind of form in ME3.
    It was recently confirmed that Mass Effect 3, the upcoming concluding chapter to Bioware’s epic space opera, will contain some form of a multiplayer mode.

The multiplayer aspect of Mass Effect 3 has been little more than a rumor for some time, but now it was officially confirmed.
    What exactly Bioware is planning is anyone’s guess at this point, though I suppose it should be noted that they are talking about it more as an extra mode, rather than a fully fleshed out aspect of the core game experience. A local and / or online cooperative experience would be nice, rather than a standard death machine mode.
    One thing is certain, this multiplayer component will have to be something special if Bioware is feeling that they have a mode that is worthy of being including in the final act of their saga. They’re not exactly known as being people who skimp out on their games. As long as it’s better than the sorry excuse for a cooperative experience that Fable II offered us, I think most fans will not have a problem with it.
    More information on the multiplayer mode and its features will be released at the upcoming Gamescon this month, and there will apparently be a demo available in the UK during several games shows this coming September. We’ll be sure to keep you posted as the news rolls our way.

http://xboxfreedom.com/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-confirmed/

It's a bit irritating to see the game delayed for something seen widely as unimportant to the series. It better be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

So help me God if the singleplayer ends up suffering due to these inclusions that I think most ME players don't really want. Kinect and Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, I never thought i'd ever see those as features in this franchise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's been said before, and i'll say it again...not every game needs multiplayer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Kiith wrote: »
    It's been said before, and i'll say it again...not every game needs multiplayer!

metroid prime 2, dead space 2, bioshock 2.......... pointless. This will be another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    So help me God if the singleplayer ends up suffering due to these inclusions that I think most ME players don't really want. Kinect and Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, I never thought i'd ever see those as features in this franchise.
    Why wouldn't it suffer? It did from 1-2

Why wouldn't it suffer? It did from 1-2

A valid point!

Suffer further perhaps!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    metroid prime 2, dead space 2, bioshock 2.......... pointless. This will be another

Totally agree. Apparently its 3 player co-op missions that run parallel to the main story. Also word of a Horde style mode. Have to say the more I see of ME3 the more I think they are heading in the wrong direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Co-op misions and a horde mode isn't that bad . . . . . . . . versus MP could be **** though, either way will be a cracker methinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i would like to see a co-op in it alright, but thats pretty much it.. having a half dozen shepards and kali's running around the place would be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i would like to see a co-op in it alright, but thats pretty much it.. having a half dozen shepards and kali's running around the place would be silly.

Co-Op could have it's merits if done right, lets just just hope it's not mass effect gears of duty.

Have to say adding MP in the 3rd game is bizarre, 99% of games that add it in the 2nd game add either due to limitations of some kind during production of the first game eg time /money or add it for no reason other than to have it there because they think the market demands it or tack it on to make money with dlc etc . I think it's safe to say the audience for ME3 does not expect or want MP from it by this stage.

Lets just hope it gets done the Dead space 2 way, where it comes on it's own disc that people pop in the drive once , discover it's pants andnver bother with again, because there are no achievements to make them play rubbish MP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

calex71 wrote: »
    Co-Op could have it's merits if done right, lets just just hope it's not mass effect gears of duty.

Lets just hope it gets done the Dead space 2 way, where it comes on it's own disc that people pop in the drive once , discover it's pants andnver bother with again, because there are no achievements to make them play rubbish MP :D

Might aswell put it on another disc,more of a chance of me using it as a coaster than playing another lazy attempt to tack on multiplayer to stop people from trading it in after finishing it. Mass Effect shouldn't have to worry about that over any game out there its made to be replayed from different perspectives. Btw what the **** is up with the melee weapon in this game is it called the omni somethingorother it looks like a weak rip off of the energy sword in Halo

Source : X360A.org
    Rumour becomes reality today, as Mass Effect 3's oft-mooted online multiplayer has finally been confirmed in Australian gaming magazine, PC PowerPlay, which features an article detailing the game's multiplayer having been on a trip to see BioWare.

"That's right - Mass Effect 3 is getting multiplayer!" exclaims the magazine. "We travel to BioWare's office in Edmonton for hands-on time with the series' first foray into online gameplay, and chat with Mass Effect Series Producer and Mass Effect 3 Project Director Casey Hudson about the decision to go multiplayer in the epic battle for the galaxy."

'Fight alongside your friends' is the cover tagline too, suggesting that online co-op is indeed in the offing, much like Rage's Legend of the Wasteland co-op missions, as we suggested when a page from a South African mag emerged last week advertising Mass Effect 3, listed online multiplayer among the features.

It also appears that Mass Effect 3's co-op missions will be an entirely separate mode, that will in no way affect the core single-player campaign.

I just hope we still get an epic single player campaign and bring back some of the Mass Effect 1 RPG elements, cause ME2 didn't feel like an RPG at all. Adding Kinect and MP, I hope this extra development and time is taking away from the single player.

Not a fan of dev's adding multiplayer to games that don't really need it. DS2 being the example there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i can see the sp suffering because of this crap, but then i dont have much trust in bioware after DA2 and to an extent ME2

i can see the sp suffering because of this crap, but then i dont have much trust in bioware after DA2 and to an extent ME2
    I personally thought DA2 was alot closer to DA:0 than ME2 was to ME1

I personally thought DA2 was alot closer to DA:0 than ME2 was to ME1

True, but it was still needlessly simplified compared to the 1st, just not to the same extent that ME2 was. ME2 was completely dumbed down.

I agree, but Da2 had characters you could miss/didn't even mention if you didn't stumble upon them. ME2 told you where you had to go for characters.

Bioware can't dumb down ME2 anymore, it's actually not possible

Bioware can't dumb down ME2 anymore, it's actually not possible

If they dumb it down anymore, it will play itself and you just sit back and watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I just hope we still get an epic single player campaign and bring back some of the Mass Effect 1 RPG elements, cause ME2 didn't feel like an RPG at all.

They got rid of the needless stats and gear bullshit in ME2 and I hope they stay gone.

• Advertisement

They got rid of the needless stats and gear bullshit in ME2 and I hope they stay gone.
    It is supposed to be an rpg, rpg's have those "needless stats and gear bull****"

Now it's just a 3rd person shooter with a story line.

Mass Effect 2 was fantastic. So was the first one, but 2 had a far better combat system. So if that's dumbed down, then dumb me down! I realise that doesn't make sense...but you know what i mean.

Keep the Me2 combat system, and add a bit more RPG to it, and you've got an amazing system.

Kiith wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 was fantastic. So was the first one, but 2 had a far better combat system. So if that's dumbed down, then dumb me down! I realise that doesn't make sense...but you know what i mean.

Keep the Me2 combat system, and add a bit more RPG to it, and you've got an amazing system.

Agreed, nobody said anything negative about the combat system, it was a big improvement.

They badly need to bring back some of the RPG elements, cause ME2 really was just a shooter when ya think about, still a great game, I can't take that way from it.

It is supposed to be an rpg, rpg's have those "needless stats and gear bull****"

Now it's just a 3rd person shooter with a story line.

The R in RPG's stands for role, not roll.

It's the conversations and choices in Mass effect fulfil this aspect of the game, not stats micro management and gearing up.

Not that the stats made any goddamn sense anyway, seeing as you started ME1 as Commander Shepard, 2nd in command of the Normandy and an elite solider that was being considered for spectre status but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with any weapon.

So, yeah gone and good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

A little bit more stats building and weapons customization would be better in ME3 but it needs to be handled correctly. People complain about ME2 for dumbing down on this but IMO the RPG implementation in ME was pretty poor. The inventory was bloated and confusing, sometimes you had to dump nice looking armour and climb into a crusty old turd for better stats. Added to this was all the time I wasted trying to keep on top of my inventory, I had redundant Mark III incendiary ammo and area scanners coming out of my ears.

The R in RPG's stands for role, not roll.

It's the conversations and choices in Mass effect fulfil this aspect of the game, not stats micro management and gearing up.

Not that the stats made any goddamn sense anyway, seeing as you started ME1 as Commander Shepard, 2nd in command of the Normandy and an elite solider that was being considered for spectre status but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with any weapon.

So, yeah gone and good riddance.
    Wow it's role not roll, wow thanks for that masterclass in gaming knowledge.

The choices?? You only made 2 choices in 2. Who to **** and who did what on the final missions.

Wow it's role not roll, wow thanks for that masterclass in gaming knowledge.

It seems to be lost on people who are pining for the ability to add more points to their pistol skill.
    The choices?? You only made 2 choices in 2. Who to **** and who did what on the final missions.

I'd suggest that you need to actually play the game but I'm guessing you're just being needlessly dense about it for no reason other than somehow the concept of a RPG focusing on playing the role of a characters as opposed to just min-maxing their stats has offended you.

So I think we're done here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So long as the multiplayer doesn't interfere with the main storyline and single-player experience, then I'm not that bothered if Bioware are show-horning in some needless co-op.

A case in point, it's worth mentioning that one of the granddaddies of single-player gaming - Deus Ex (yes the original one) - came with Multiplayer, so the two can live quite happily side by side. Just so long as the right balance is struck it can work out ok in the end

In a more general sense though, I'm losing my enthusiasm for the 3rd instalment a little bit though. Mass Effect 1 still ranks as one of the more pleasant surprises, and lasting memories in gaming for me.

It was one of the few example of a gaming "page turner" - an adventure where I never knew what / who I'd meet next, or where I'd end up. It felt like a genuinely spontaneous, gripping, and open storyline. I didn't give a hoot if the combat was wonky as I was having too much fun playing a space-opera.

Mass Effect 2 didn't have that feeling though; it was a great game don't get me wrong, but its story was much more linear & felt like a galactic fetch-quest than the planet-hoping epic I was embroiled in first-time off. It all felt a little less organic than the last one, even the otherwise engaging character loyalty-quests felt like a shopping list.

So if Mass Effect 3 is starting with the invasion of Earth by the Repears, I have a feeling that the sprawling narrative of #1 is going to be pared back even more. Plus given at the end of Mass Effect 2
    any of your characters could die
    I imagine Bioware will press the big reset button, reduce the cast by conveniently making certain characters leave, and even that element will be scaled back. Hope I'm wrong though, I went to some trouble to get to know the more 3-dimensional members of my crew - particularly Mordin & Tali (who I choose in the romantic arc, ironic that she seemed the most "real" of the female characters).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Definitely co-op, not versus multiplayer

Small blessings, I guess... :(

https://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson/status/123465882281320449

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    So long as the multiplayer doesn't interfere with the main storyline and single-player experience, then I'm not that bothered if Bioware are show-horning in some needless co-op.

Unfortunately, it seems like it will have an impact on the single player. It's apparently 'optional', and it's 'still possible' to get the full, complete ending without the multiplayer, but it will give advantages to the main campaign. Why am i ****ing surprised :rolleyes:
    Kotaku wrote:
    That cooperative multiplayer is said to have "a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign, giving players an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind – and the entire galaxy – has ever faced.

http://kotaku.com/5848484/mass-effect-3s-co+op-multiplayer-fully-detailed-by-bioware

Advertisement