Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kiith wrote: »
    He trusted Sovereign, even though he knew that a hell of a lot of people (although he did hate humans anyway) were going to die.

the alternative though was that (just about) everyone would die, fighting the reapers wasn't a viable option in sarens mind but of course he didn't know that he was living in a computer game where john shepard could just die and be reborn every time he made a mistake until he finally beat the reapers.
    The Witcher is great for seemingly minor decisions early on affecting the later end of the game. It's a great game, that i really need to go back and finish.

yeah, i just started chapter III and it's gotten to the stage where i'm afraid to actually make a decision, trying to work out how it might come back to bite me in the ass later in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

GTR63 wrote: »
    There was a ME1 you know.I expect people that have completed ME1,2 or Both that import their saves get a few levels boost like they did in ME2 & some extra weapons.

ME1 of course, still the best game on the 360 IMO. Same point of my post still stands as you die after one and are essentially rebuilt/cloned for 2. But ME2 and ME3 are to me like the Matrix 2 and 3, one giant story arch so the game's level system will relate closer unless Bioware go all cheap and we die again and are cloned again just to fit game mechanics.

Like wise back to the nagging point, how to handle if you die in 2 and import that save to 3. They just rebuild you again?
    Can't wait to see what they do with this, just hope they don't pull a Dragon Age 2 on the Mass Effect fan base.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If memory serves, there was an interview some time back with Bioware & they claimed that for those who died in ME2, they wouldn't be able to import their character into ME3 & would have to play with the default John / Jane Shephard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

So did you agree with Saren in Mass Effect 1, when he helped Sovereign to try and bring the Reapers back? Before being Indoctrinated, he made a deal with Sovereign that thousands/millions might die, but that most would be saved?

That turned out well...

What the hell? No cause what I'm talking about is completely and utterly different.

His deal was they'd all be slaves rather then die. Like the collectors. He decided not to even fight. Completely different to blowing up the one chance you do have to fight them off and ending the lives of trillions because you don't like TIM/don't want to use the bad guys technology/it says 'paragon' beside the choice.

Shepards willingness to fight them off rather then give up is exactly why the idea of blowing up all hope of doing so for any reason, is completely uncharacteristic as well as it goes against the flow of the story line.

The whole point of the shepard character is the old 'doing whatever it takes - making the hard decisions - to save the galaxy'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sisko wrote: »
    His deal was they'd all be slaves rather then die. Like the collectors. He decided not to even fight. Completely different to blowing up the one chance you do have to fight them off and ending the lives of trillions because you don't like TIM/don't want to use the bad guys technology/it says 'paragon' beside the choice.

Shepards willingness to fight them off rather then give up is exactly why the idea of blowing up all hope of doing so for any reason, is completely uncharacteristic as well as it goes against the flow of the story line.

The whole point of the shepard character is the old 'doing whatever it takes - making the hard decisions - to save the galaxy'

You might not agree with the moral choice, but i see it as destroying a station that had created a Reaper (i.e. ultimate life killing monster) from the reprocessed remains of hundred's of thousands of people. That's not destroying it just cause i don't like it, or to piss of The Illusive Man. It's morally because it's the right thing to do.

Sheppard has belief in his, and his allies, abilities to get the job done without resorting to becoming the very enemy he is trying to fight against. Plus, you think giving something like that to Cerberus is a good idea? They have shown, time and time again, that they only have human interests at heart, and The Illusive Man is definitely not to be trusted.

Besides, Sheppard has done pretty well so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sisko wrote: »
    it says 'paragon' beside the choice.

Renegade shep will do "whatever it takes" to save the galaxy. Paragon shep won't sacrifice people or his morals to do it. Thats the difference between them.

They are both heroes. There is no light side / dark side in mass effect. Renegade shep isn't a bad guy. He's a needs of the many kind of guy.

The paragon option is the high and mighty option. To destroy the base. Because its morally wrong. Don't see why you can't see that. If you didn't like the choice, thats cool. Pick the renegade option. But your stance that destroying the base is out of character for a paragon is way, way off base. If you will excuse the pun :)

Not at all, first of all the paragon and renegade options rarely deviate from the character too much. There's only a hand full of choice's that do and on both sides they are a little nuts (renegade shep being a cold blooded killer or paragon shep being incredibly tactless and militarily unsound) apart from that the only real difference is patience and empathy. Otherwise they are the same. (be very hard to write it any other way and not have it be stupid)

I'm primarily talking about what makes a good story and how the story line works , (eliminating the base is nuts from a writing perspective so much juicy story would be wasted)

But as far as the moral choice aspect of the argument, :
    Kirby wrote: »

The paragon option is the high and mighty option. To destroy the base. Because its morally wrong. Don't see why you can't see that. If you didn't like the choice, thats cool. Pick the renegade option. But your stance that destroying the base is out of character for a paragon is way, way off base. If you will excuse the pun :)
    but i see it as destroying a station that had created a Reaper (i.e. ultimate life killing monster) from the reprocessed remains of hundred's of thousands of people. That's not destroying it just cause i don't like it, or to piss of The Illusive Man. It's morally because it's the right thing to do.

Sheppard has belief in his, and his allies, abilities to get the job done without resorting to becoming the very enemy he is trying to fight against. Plus, you think giving something like that to Cerberus is a good idea? They have shown, time and time again, that they only have human interests at heart, and The Illusive Man is definitely not to be trusted.

Heres the thing, shepard is pretty much responsible for the lives of every intelligent being in the entire galaxy. Shepard knows this more then anyone, and knows how dangerous the reapers are due to the prothean vision/message inserted into his/her mind.

This choice is a gamble, the price? the lives of everyone, its a bigger gamble to destroy the base and hope shep and co can come up with some other random way of beating the reapers that no other race could do for all those millions of years the reapers have been doing this, then it is to keep that base intact even if it has to go to TIM for the mean time.

Thus it is immoral to make such a massive gamble on behalf of all the intelligent species in the galaxy just because every fibre of your being wants to blow up the thing for personal reasons.

This isnt Disney, this is BSG type stuff, its good writing , its a dark storyline and in fairness you have to hand it to the writers if you can get a nice debate on morality from a video game story line :D

People are completely free to use their imagination to make that choice seem plausible, in the end its all about enjoying your own experience but there is a base line story there that flows with the writing , I guarantee you if they decided to use some other story element as the big choice in the end of the game and not the base, shep would keep the base. But cause they did, they'll just have to make it so "paragon" sheps failed in totally destroying it or something in the 3rd game.

ME2 had **** all story but it put down foundations for a really good final chapter , if "paragon" shep got his/her way though all those foundations would blow up along with the base, I doubt the writers will let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I watched the 'bad' ending on youtube wear everyone dies and shep chooses to save the base before dying himself. What a depressing ending haha. Anyway, after Joker gives the final report to Timmy, Tim just looks out at that sun yoke and gives the faintest of evil smiles as if the mission worked out perfectly. He has the base and no one to stop him, what an evil mofo!

Just started to read the origins of Tim in that comic Evolution (i think?)

You can save everyone and not blow up the base or get everyone killed and blow up the base too you know :pac:

But yes, for me one of the best bits of the what imo would be cannon ending :p Is when finally our boy TIM lets slip his guard for that one second and gives one hell of an evil smirk as he sips his whiskey and watches the holo image of the base.

I thought it was brilliant, as just before hand I had my shep ranting at him about how she only kept the base cause the reapers are a bigger threat and she does not trust cerberus for one second - "I'll be watching you" kinda thing. To which TIM came back with the usual "Don't judge me, I'm not evil just misunderstood" etc stuff to which shepard cuts him off and storms off.

He lights a smoke and pours a whiskey , sips and looks up with such an evil smirk I was like "Oooooooh you illusive son of a bitch, I can't feckin WAIT for ME3 now :D" was such a great moment.

Now that Arrival is out, there is no more ME2 content :( but there will be ME3 details revealed at the end of April. Strange how you will visit Earth in it, I keep picturing Resistance running round England fighting Aliens.

Mass-Effect-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Am I the only one that wants to see the elevators return at least once in ME3 i'm a bit worried that ME3 might be a little too similar to ME2 even though we know Nothing about ME3.I want Bioware to look backwards(ME1) rather than just follow ME2 with a game that plays the same except on Earth. Fingers crossed we get at least a Side Quest in Ireland (a distress signal asking for money perhaps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

My guess would be that only the final mission will be on earth when you finally defeat the reapers. Theyre obviously not going to scrap the galactic exploration or anything like that

I can see the gameplay being even more streamlined towards a shooter if anything, the gameplay of the 2nd game but with more rpg elements and costomisation would be my preference but considering the premise its probably going to be really action orientated

GTR63 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed we get at least a Side Quest in Ireland (a distress signal asking for money perhaps).

hahaha brilliant!

Ya, id even prefer the elevators, the load screens were very long (on ps3 anyway) and it was funny hearing Garrus say to tali 'hey you ever miss our elevator conversations?' haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Harps wrote: »
    My guess would be that only the final mission will be on earth when you finally defeat the reapers. Theyre obviously not going to scrap the galactic exploration or anything like that

I don't know, have you seen what they did with DA2? (though of course I realise they are entirely different dev teams)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

The loading times are not long at all on the PC version. 15 seconds maximum :)

Awwwwwwwwwwww Yaaaaaaaaaaaa 1st details!!

Spoilers Below!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297331/news/mass-effect-3-first-details/

According to the mag, BioWare's third and final sci-fi instalment kicks off with Shepard on Earth, facing trial for the events that occurred during the recently released Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2.

screenshot_251752_thumb300.jpg
    In the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade, and it all kicks off. Mass Effect 3's prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and subsequent mission to yet again gather allies to battle the Reaper troops.

Confirmed squadmates from the GI article include Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and a man called James Sanders, who we're not familiar with. Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson will also appear in the game (if they're alive), but aren't confirmed as squadmates.

Mass Effect 3's set to include numerous endings, BioWare's confirmed, and just like the last game who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit will have a drastic effect on which ending you get.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role in the third game, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard for reasons unknown, says GI.

In the gameplay department, RPG elements are being beefed up for the third game, says BioWare, offering players more freedom with character skills. Skill trees are said to be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering players even more freedom.

Weapons are similar to those in Mass Effect 2, except mods make a return, allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. For example, only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sounds class!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Cool news on the weapon mods i was sick of running around with the same weapon with no add-ons. 1 went a bit crazy with the amount of weapons to pick up and 2 was the exact opposite; really limiting the weapons. No mention of tali, i want to see what a quarian looks like.

Cool news on the weapon mods i was sick of running around with the same weapon with no add-ons. 1 went a bit crazy with the amount of weapons to pick up and 2 was the exact opposite; really limiting the weapons. No mention of tali, i want to see what a quarian looks like.

Ya Really hope Tali is back, worked too hard on it in ME2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It's early days yet, I'd think most of the squad from ME2 will make an appearance!
    I definitely want to see Miranda and Garrus back as squadmates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just give me Miranda!!! ALL I WANT IS MIRANDA!!!!

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just give me Miranda!!! ALL I WANT IS MIRANDA!!!!

:pac:

mmmmmm miranda :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I hope Liara has a much bigger role to play. After the the events of The Shadow Broker I'd say that is pretty much guaranteed.

Love the sounds of that, good to see more rpg elements back, I was afraid they'd try and streamline it even more so thats a welcome bit of news. Nothing new aside from that, the squad member returning was a given but good to finally get some concrete info

I really need to give it another playthrough, still not player the Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival or even any of the Cerberus Network or other dlc, bought all of it now so must get around to it over Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Multiplayer is apparently a no-show.

Multiplayer is apparently a no-show.

Thank God!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Thank God!!

Second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

jamezy wrote: »
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Thank God!!
    Second.
    Thirded

They need to focus on getting the story and single player right, there's no need for multiplayer in a game like this (though perhaps co-op might have worked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Harps wrote: »

I really need to give it another playthrough, still not player the Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival or even any of the Cerberus Network or other dlc, bought all of it now so must get around to it over Easter.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is REALLY good. Kasumi's DLC I enjoyed a lot, and you get the best SMG in the game in it.

• Advertisement

Started it today only to suddenly remember why I haven't played it for the past 6 months, namely the tiny and impossible to read text. The joys of having an old crt tv :rolleyes:

Back home next week with my HD tv thankfully

Advertisement