Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

That was largely pointless ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Saw that trailer this morning, thought it was muck. They would have been way better off showing some game footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,127 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Reviews starting to hit.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/337440/mass-effect-3-review-series-best-yet-claims-first-verdict/
    The first Mass Effect 3 review has arrived via German mag Gamestar, which calls the BioWare sequel "the most compelling experience in the franchise yet."

The mag, which doesn't appear to use review scores (boo!), says Mass Effect 3 "is constantly thrilling, spectacular and dramatic- largely thanks to the well-presented story and dialogue."

It adds: "In summary, the game builds on the strengths of ME2 and takes some notes from ME1 to create the most compelling experience in the franchise yet."

Here's a full summary of the review, via the Mass Effect forums (possible spoilers):

15-20 hour-long main quest
    Around 40 hours playtime in total- side missions are vital to amass enough opposition to the Reaper threat
    90 minutes of cutscenes
    No loose ends or cliffhangers, the game is truly an appropriate end to the trilogy with a very intense and touching finale
    More than 100 scenes, conversations and/or events change depending on our choices after importing a save-game from ME2- from something small like someone thanking us for completing a mission to bigger repercussions which would be to spoilerous to write down- you are definitely going to feel the consequences, and not always like them
    If and how many of these quests we complete influences how the game ends, and who- individually and globally- survives
    While the game can be enjoyable for newcomers as well, because the game is strong on its own mechanically and story-wise, it is recommended to play the first two entries to make more sense out of the wealth of information that the game builds on
    There's an interesting sequence after the end credits
    The Role-Play mode of the game (In contrast to Action and Story) feels very much like ME1
    The game gives you more opportunity to customize your Shepard. Each class has 8 talents with 6 levels each, and up from Level 4 there are two branches to choose from to level up each individual talent differently. Weapon customization is also a factor and noticeable, but the effects (which have both pros and cons) are only marginal
    Balancing isn't optimal
    The game is noticeably more difficult up from Medium", which makes using the correct weapon mods and talents integral to survive. Shepard also shoots more accurately in cover.
    The AI, on the other hand, is still not very advanced
    There are multiple turret sections which aren't very well directed
    Despite the shortcomings in level design, which are similar to ME2, the game is constantly thrilling, spectacular and dramatic- largely thanks to the well-presented story and dialogue- and there are lot of small and large choices again to ponder on
    Scanning isn't nearly as repetitive as before, because it works a lot quicker now and incorporates a new mini-game where you have to navigate your ship away from Reaper threat
    The new melee option is fun, but a little overpowered
    Graphically, the low polycount, lack of detail and low texture resolution disappoints- the characters are well animated and modeled however, and the overall look, despite its age, is quite moody
    Great dynamic soundtrack and sound-effects
    Our progress in the war effort is constantly trackable on a terminal on the Normandy

The Role-Play mode of the game (In contrast to Action and Story) feels very much like ME1

Oh I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,127 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can see letting the Rachni live is gonna bite me in the ass..... even though they said they would be 'cool' in ME2. Ugh. Might go back to ME1 and kill the fukers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Meaning they're leaving it open for future sequels/spin offs, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

MMO maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Next F*cking Friday!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

sheehy83 wrote: »
    New trailer is out. I don't get the point of live action trailers. Pointless money spent on actors and special effects.

wow that was crap compared to this one that was linked a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to say I think the trailer would have been quite good without the voice over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's kind of ironic that whereas Live Action film inside a game is now considered naff & superfluous - a gimmick long since buried - marketing departments seem to think it useful to use live-action film to promote your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's kind of ironic that whereas Live Action film inside a game is now considered naff & superfluous - a gimmick long since buried - marketing departments seem to think it useful to use live-action film to promote your game.
    I think that's just this one. It's much poorer than the CG one they made as pointed out. Especially when the N7 Soldier is on screen, the budget obviously wasn't there and it wasn't executed well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 airgilbert

Who's doing the pre-order bonus for the extra gun & armour here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Going to wait until this drops down to €10. Origin sucks :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Going to wait until this drops down to €10. Origin sucks :mad::mad::mad:

GOTY edition this time next year for me.

Swamped with stuff as is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Bioware have already said to hang on to your Mass Effect 3 end game save data. So there you go. No more sequels, 3 is the end of the trilogy, but yes to a spin off in the same Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Sorry if it's already been discussed, but has anyone else mentioned this?:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/27/all-the-mass-effect-3-dlc-costs-how-much/

:eek:

It's crap how people complain if they get a free dlc code with a figure or headset about how much bioware is charging for dlc. They didn't have to give this dlc with the merch and they probably shouldn't have with the way people are responding. It's not essential dlc, a random gun for MP, etc. Nice getting a little reward for splashing out on a figure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The only thing in that RPS article that annoyed me was that you apparently get a weapon which gets more powerful the more Razor items you buy. It's that's useable in multiplayer, than thats total bull****. The rest of the stuff is mainly cosmetic, bar the From Ashes dlc, which we've given out enough already.

Kiith wrote: »
    From Ashes

Ah you had to bring it up again didn't ya :D People are calling for this to be released free on release day. Hope Bioware don't do it tho as it would be a kick in the balls to anyone who paid for the CE. Actually I wouldn't really mind as i'm getting the standard edition

• Advertisement

2 guys got a copy of the game that dropped from space in nevada. They set up a raffle for 5 dollars a ticket with 30% going to charity and tge rest to start up a game company. They may now be federally charged for illegally gambling in nevada. They are now putting all profit to charity to avoid this.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah you had to bring it up again didn't ya :D People are calling for this to be released free on release day. Hope Bioware don't do it tho...........

:eek:

I hope they fold and release it. Win Win for me if they do.

65082_10150583300041645_85811091644_9153319_278116307_n.jpg

^ a bit longer of us "Europeans".

Really looking forward to this. Should have the new pc by next week, and have just about finished my ME2 playthrough, so can't wait. Actually think i'll give the multiplayer a go as well, to give me some added benefits for the single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

http://http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-29-game-not-stocking-mass-effect-3-or-ea-games-past-ssx

GAME Group will not be stocking any EA games past SSX, including Mass Effect 3, Eurogamer has discovered.
    Eurogamer has corroborated this information with individual GAME Group stores. The last stocked EA game will be SSX, we were told.
    If you have a pre-order, GAME will refund you via in-store credit, rather than with cash.
    HMV told Eurogamer it couldn't comment on a competitor's situation, but confirmed it would be stocking Mass Effect 3 and the rest of EA's titles.
    EA and GAME Group haven't responded to Eurogamer's request for comment.

^ What the fup is going on there???

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    ^ What the fup is going on there???

Game are totally screwed, financially. This will cost them even more, and i can't see them recovering from something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been informed that the ending to this game has been leaked online. If it's posted here before midnight on Friday 9th (in any form - vague hints or spoiler tags), then that user will get a 3 month ban from this forum for being a tool.

From Saturday 10th onwards, please please please use spoiler tags. Unspoilered posts about the ending (even *nudge*nudge*wink*wink* hints) will still carry consequences. I'll add this to the OP so there is no confusion or doubt as to how serious I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith wrote: »
    Game are totally screwed, financially. This will cost them even more, and i can't see them recovering from something like this.

Didn't it come out a few months back that Game had to pay upfront for stock due to how bad the company was doing financially so this makes sense and I can see them losing out on other big titles as well.

Complete bollocks about getting store credit tho as what use is it if the customer has nothing to spend it on :rolleyes:

Advertisement