Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Shiminay wrote: »
    I played a lot of ME2 on both 360 and PC and the PC version with M+K was infinitely better, more accurate and the "scanning planets" was literally 10 times faster (that broke my heart on the 360 it took so long). But I'm not gonna say one is right or wrong - each to their own.

Same, I played it on console but now playing through on PC. Not got to scanning yet, but happy that it will be 10x quicker :P
    As for the day 1 DLC stuff and the overall monetisation of the game, Total Biscuit, has just now posted the following with his thoughts:

Just seen this popup on my youtube subscriptions. He's easily one of the best and more opinionated Youtube vid gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So at this stage.

€70 for Origin (all pre-order) or €66 for Gamestop (physical box/book etc) online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pretty **** that the dlc seems so plot central. Spoiler abut the dlc here...
    a bloody Prothean? How can that not be included as part of the main game, when they were one of the main focuses of the previous two games?
    Really stupid.

I'll still buy it, and will probably buy the deluxe edition, but it's a pretty ****ty move by Bioware/EA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    a bloody Prothean? How can that not be included as part of the main game, when they were one of the main focuses of the previous two games?
    Really stupid.

I'll still buy it, and will probably buy the deluxe edition, but it's a pretty ****ty move by Bioware/EA.
    And still you reward EA and show them it's a good decision by buying it (ensuring it will be done again and again).

Nody wrote: »
    And still you reward EA and show them it's a good decision by buying it (ensuring it will be done again and again).

As much as i don't like the decision, and don't agree with it, i still want to play the end to the trilogy of one of my favourite series. Which is exactly why EA/Bioware know they can do this, and the vast majority of people will still buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kiith wrote: »
    Really stupid.

So you don't like a business practice, but you're willing to reward it anyway? Sorry, I genuinely don't follow this line of thinking. I'm like a lot of of people and fairly annoyed at the aggressive partitioning of content in AAA titles, but I'm past rewarding this behavior with my money. EA et al will stop as soon as they realise people don't want to pay for their games in this fashion. Simple as.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So you don't like a business practice, but you're willing to reward it anyway? Sorry, I genuinely don't follow this line of thinking. I'm like a lot of of people and fairly annoyed at the aggressive partitioning of content in AAA titles, but I'm past rewarding this behavior with my money. EA et al will stop as soon as they realise people don't want to pay for their games in this fashion. Simple as.

People don't like foxconn or their treatment of workers but they still buy all those devices that are made there.

Something is worth the price up until the point it's not, your getting the good and bad of it together and when the bad out weights the good for someone then they don't buy it.

It's not a that point for the majority who will bitch about it and end up buying it anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    People don't like foxconn or their treatment of workers but they still buy all those devices that are made there.

Something is worth the price up until the point it's not, your getting the good and bad of it together and when the bad out weights the good for someone then they don't buy it.

It's not a that point for the majority who will bitch about it and end up buying it anyway.
    Well ultimately yes it either annoys the person enough to boycott the sale or not, but I can't understand if someone openly says "I hate this practice" then proceeds to buy the product anyway. It just seems sometimes like gamer are the least consumer-savvy demographic out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Sorry guys, I haven't really been following this thread as I've been trying to avoid spoilers but all this dlc talk has me a little confused. If I walk into a B & M shop on the 9th March and pick up a normal copy of ME3, am I going to be missing anything worthwhile?

I realise there is day 1 DLC etc, but is there something in the CE Edition or for people who pre-order that is worth having? :o

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well ultimately yes it either annoys the person enough to boycott the sale or not, but I can't understand if someone openly says "I hate this practice" then proceeds to buy the product anyway. It just seems sometimes like gamer are the least consumer-savvy demographic out there.

It does annoy me, but not enough to not want to experience the end of the trilogy. Was this a new game, that i had no prior experience with, i'd possibly reconsider. But it's Mass Effect, which is a big deal for me. What i don't like is that it seems like a fairly major plot point to reserve for dlc.

Plus, it's better then saying "I hate this practice and won't buy the game" and then i go ahead and buy the game anyway like most people :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it might not be a huge plot point tbh

through playing the "full" game, the events/activities of the spoilered dlc might not be as "omg ****ing what the wow" as they seem atm, having no knowledge of the plot of the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

True, like the idea of it being
    a Prothean
    might sound like a big deal but what if
    he's not the only one
    , hardly special in that case and certainly not a hole missing from the plot.

In terms of overall quality, if it's anything like Zaeed then we won't be missing much. :)

Yeah, if it's like Zaeed or Kasumi then it's not that big a deal, but if it's like Shale (DA Origins), who was a great character, it'd be pretty annoying. And from a lore point of view, it seems like a pretty major deal.

Still though, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads DLC SHMEE L C! Ya bioware/ea looking to make a ton of money but this game is gonna be awesome without any of the fancy tinsel! Now gaze upon this epic picture!!

429211_10150572326116645_85811091644_9114875_1463738113_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

All this DLC rabble would a genius PR stunt. Bioware would seem like they're in touch with their fans if they included it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

gizmo wrote: »
    True, like the idea of it being
    a Prothean
    might sound like a big deal but what if
    he's not the only one

And if it is? ......

If so then its such a slap in the face. Some excellent points made in the vid above, this isnt cosmetic additions this is a major deal for the gameworld which fans have invested in and goes beyond the line of acceptable content for day1 dlc. Minor cosmetic additions are fine, but this is hardly cosmetic seeing as nearly all the major events in the previous 2 games revolved around
    the protheans

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Lads DLC SHMEE L C! Ya bioware/ea looking to make a ton of money but this game is gonna be awesome without any of the fancy tinsel! Now gaze upon this epic picture!!

Thats a well and good attitude to have but this day 1 dlc is not meerly tinsle, its been a centric plot point for the entire serise so far. If people give into this now its simply saying to EA that parting out major parts of the story from a story driven game is acceptable to consumers.

Clearly EA wanted to believe their own hype with BF3 late last year, expected it to make far more than it actually did and got stung. They are now going to try recoup losses from every major title they can by monetizing everything they can out of each and every one they can and this is just the start.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Clearly EA wanted to believe their own hype with BF3 late last year, expected it to make far more than it actually did and got stung. They are now going to try recoup losses from every major title they can by monetizing everything they can out of each and every one they can and this is just the start.

That is all so very wrong.

EA have had their best financial quarter in the last 8 years.

BF3 and Fifa 12 broke 10m each and NFL 12 sold 5M with old republic breaking records for an mmo launch.

That is all so very wrong.

EA have had their best financial quarter in the last 8 years.

BF3 and Fifa 12 broke 10m each and NFL 12 sold 5M with old republic breaking records for an mmo launch.

I never said they didnt do well? What I said was that didnt do as well as they expected themselves to do? Re read.

They are now going to try recoup losses from every major title they can by monetizing everything they can out of each and every one they can and this is just the start.
    I never said they didnt do well? What I said was that didnt do as well as they expected themselves to do? Re read.

Really as it kinda doesn't seem that way when you said they were trying to recoup losses, of which there were none and very absence of loss is at it highest in years.

Also why are those questions, and the the answers are "yes you did" and "yes, but you don't know what they expected".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Screw the
    Protheans
    , where's my goddamn
    Hanar Specter agent
    ! Now that would be some prime DLC.

On the topic of DLC, think I'll not bother with it myself, actually it's going to be a hard push for me to buy ME3.

Looks like they're heard some of the complaints: BioWare: we finished Mass Effect 3 before working on DLC.

Nice to see Hudson finally explain some of the scheduling issues related to development of both the game and DLC. What he also says makes sense considering a couple of points:
    • If you look at the credit sequence for Mass Effect 2, you'll notice a crossover of team members from the earlier DLC with the main game.
    • There is a sizeable gap between content complete and code complete, nevermind the cert period and actually shipping, so they would have had plenty of time to make this DLC.
    As I said above, I'm still not particularly pleased it's not a bonus for those who buy the game new but at least this should dispel the myth that content such as this is "cut" from the game.
    And if it is? ......

If so then its such a slap in the face. Some excellent points made in the vid above, this isnt cosmetic additions this is a major deal for the gameworld which fans have invested in and goes beyond the line of acceptable content for day1 dlc. Minor cosmetic additions are fine, but this is hardly cosmetic seeing as nearly all the major events in the previous 2 games revolved around
    the protheans
    If it is then I'll go from not particularly pleased to rather irate. :)

And yes, the
    Protheans
    have an important part to play in the series but then again, so did the
    Geth
    yet if
    Legion
    had been added as a DLC-only squad mate ME2 still would have been awesome.

Really as it kinda doesn't seem that way when you said they were trying to recoup losses, of which there were none and very absence of loss is at it highest in years.

Loss in the sense that they clearly expected it to do far better than what it did, the marketing budget alone for that one title expressed how much they expected from the games sales not to mention all the big talk they had of becoming the most popular shooter in the world - telegraphing that they expected to replace COD at the top spot and as a result expected the same levels of profit thus justifying the marketing to expected sales ratio. You also dont spend as much money on marketing as they did for a game that you expect to make as much money as it actually did.

Loss in the sense that they clearly expected it to do far better than what it did, the marketing budget alone for that one title expressed how much they expected from the games sales not to mention all the big talk they had of becoming the most popular shooter in the world - telegraphing that they expected to replace COD at the top spot and as a result expected the same levels of profit thus justifying the marketing to expected sales ratio. You also dont spend as much money on marketing as they did for a game that you expect to make as much money as it actually did.
    I highly doubt they did to be honest. Sure there was plenty of marketing fluff about outselling Call Of Duty but they would have known damn well it wasn't going to happen first time around. They doubled their sales over Bad Company 2, probably more if you take into consideration Origin sales, and hit a figure around half that of MW3. For the return of a series such as Battlefield I'd say they were quite pleased. Add to that the fact that the marketing isn't all about one game, it's about the franchise as a whole and I doubt they see it as a loss in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Stupid question is it out the tuesday or the friday, i'm getting 2 different answers from everywhere.

Stupid question is it out the tuesday or the friday, i'm getting 2 different answers from everywhere.

Friday here.

Loss in the sense that they clearly expected it to do far better than what it did

scaled.php?server=560&filename=goalposts.jpg&res=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

€10 day 1 DLC space Jamaican

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK99_T61alc

Link only because of spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mantel wrote: »
    €10 day 1 DLC space Jamaican

Thought that was a joke!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

So yea, the lack of controller support is annoying, but if you want to play with a controller, why on earth are you playing on PC?
    Because having a high stable frame rate goes along way. Because options & customer empowerment are good.

Advertisement