Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

As before this maybe of interest.

http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2724/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Good performances by Irish masters in Italy today, all 5 teams in medals and Helen White (Sportsworld) bronze in W45.

Fun video on IMRA News!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

climbhigh wrote: »
    Good performances by Irish masters in Italy today, all 5 teams in medals and Helen White (Sportsworld) bronze in W45.

Fun video on IMRA News!

Nice downhill running / skiiing through snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

*Fingers crossed for snow on Lug this winter*. You'll never persuade enough IMRA runners to do a crazy race like that though. There's no red and white tape!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Who says you need numbers for a fun race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mr. Brennan for one :-/ http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/917/

A repeat of last year's Solstice CIMRA run would be fun though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    *Fingers crossed for snow on Lug this winter*. You'll never persuade enough IMRA runners to do a crazy race like that though. There's no red and white tape!

In the distant pre-internet days there was a little gem of a 'race' called the Tonelagee Snow Run. Entry was by invite only, you either got the phone call when conditions were right (loads of snow) or you didn't. The route was from Glenmacnass Waterfall to Tonelagee and back. Supposedly a trophy existed/exists but it was forgotten the year I should have seen it. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Enduro wrote: »
    Keep prodding me... I'll get it written!!!

*PROD*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Bravo to the outer reaches and hard core of the IMRA community who raced the Stone Cross to Lug relay today in the heaviest rain to hit the East Coast in weeks.
    Waist deep bogholes, rivers where paths should be, the bog...

many races down and now just the one to go for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Peterx wrote: »
    Bravo to the outer reaches and hard core of the IMRA community who raced the Stone Cross to Lug relay today in the heaviest rain to hit the East Coast in weeks.
    Waist deep bogholes, rivers where paths should be, the bog...

many races down and now just the one to go for this thread.

Awesome. I'm going to give the IMRA races a proper go next year. Can't see me making the likes of this for a while yet though. Hopefully going to make Powerscourt Ridge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Really impressive stuff!! Sounds like there was nearly zero visibility in parts! Proves that determination and enthusiasm far outweigh the need for super fitness for any of these races!!Hopefully that will make it a less daunting option for people next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Sandwell wrote: »
    Awesome. I'm going to give the IMRA races a proper go next year. Can't see me making the likes of this for a while yet though. Hopefully going to make Powerscourt Ridge though.

Started training for a few IMRA races next year (the less demanding ones). Have been meaning to do a few since I got into running again a few years back but always had other commitments. Looks like I'll have Sundays next year so should finally get out on the hills. Anyone know of any trail races that take place over the autumn/winter prior to the Winter League kicking off next?

Powerscourt ridge....

ocnoc wrote: »
    Powerscourt ridge....

Was looking at that. Looking for something a bit more straightforward to be honest (i.e. something well marked so I can concentrate on just getting round!)

The route is pretty straight forward.
    Follow everyone until the first turn (its a right up a pretty steep hill). Climb until you want to die, then climb some more, until you reach the top of Maulin.
    Hang a left and follow the track the entire way to the top of Djounce (the big massive looming one in the distance), you'll know your at the top as your at a pretty serious high point. Hang another left, and follow the track until the board walk, hang a left again and keep running back around the mountain, you'll end up back where you climbed Djouce from, follow this track the entire way home, looking out for Wicklow Way signs (small yellow men!).

I may have forgotten to mention that on route to Djouce, you drop down to a river and have to climb all the way back up again... but its still the same trail...
    14565.jpg

gives you an idea of the drop...

But the descent back along the WickaWicka is freegin AWESOME!!
    Its not technical, its just wet and boggy and rocky in places and if you fall there is plenty of bog to fall into and it'll be grand. It is just pure class
    I'd run this race, just so I can run off Djouce. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Ocnoc is spot on about Powerscourt ridge. Is a great run (hike in places for my slow self) with a good mix of terrain. The run off Djouce is great fun, so soft and quite a fast section.
    I do try and get up and do the route about once a month cos I like it so much.

ocnoc wrote: »
    The route is pretty straight forward.
    Follow everyone until the first turn (its a right up a pretty steep hill). Climb until you want to die, then climb some more, until you reach the top of Maulin.
    Hang a left and follow the track the entire way to the top of Djounce (the big massive looming one in the distance), you'll know your at the top as your at a pretty serious high point. Hang another left, and follow the track until the board walk, hang a left again and keep running back around the mountain, you'll end up back where you climbed Djouce from, follow this track the entire way home, looking out for Wicklow Way signs (small yellow men!).

I may have forgotten to mention that on route to Djouce, you drop down to a river and have to climb all the way back up again... but its still the same trail...
    14565.jpg

gives you an idea of the drop...

But the descent back along the WickaWicka is freegin AWESOME!!
    Its not technical, its just wet and boggy and rocky in places and if you fall there is plenty of bog to fall into and it'll be grand. It is just pure class
    I'd run this race, just so I can run off Djouce. Highly recommended!

You make is sound so easy (and so very tempting).. but still don't think I'm up to it yet.

I've not done an IMRA race before so I was looking at starting with something like Howth next year. Just starting training last weekend with a run up the Cooley Mountains and will try building on that over the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Powerscourt is an epic course. It is fairly easy to follow. I'd say its easier to follow than Howth with all the twists and turns. Although Howth is like a rollercoaster train speeding through the bushes, which is great craic.

paulocon wrote: »
    You make is sound so easy

Sorry. I didn't mean for that to happen. I was on a positive high when I wrote that.

Mountain running on one hand can give you seriously addictive highs that you have to keep coming back for, on the other it can beat you to your knees and kill you from exposure if you don't treat the mountains with respect.

:confused: Wait.... I just realised the contradition in my statement...

Its the been beaten to my knees that keep me coming back :D

Powerscourt Ridge is about pacing. Anyone walking up the last climb from the river is a sissy:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had a bad day my first time out in Powerscourt, the summer uphill last year, I had to walk before I even got to the river. Then this year during the Wicklow Way trail when I was feeling good I really enjoyed that section.

Here's an interesting double header for the HTFU lads and lassies on here.

IMRA Powerscourt Ridge race
    http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/914/

followed by the Glen of Imaal Mountain Rescue Team 'Moonlight Challenge'
    http://www.wicklowmountainrescue.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155

Time in between for a few pints in the Glencormac Inn and a good feed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

This was my first ever IMRA race. I was pronounced dead at the finish. The initial climb up maulin is something I will never forget. I don't have the words to put that one into perspective. This is two weeks after Dublin and I might just tag along for the crack.

Did I tell you about my fall coming off of Djouce?:eek: Jasus there was a lot of blood as can be seen from the pictures:(

A great race all the same;)

http://www.wicklowmountainrescue.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Which one are you doing? If the 2011 photographer gets a time stamp, he could superimpose you into the photo above, and have a virtual race. ;)

I'll be in the Glencormac Inn carbing up on Smithwicks and pies, I'll wait for you with two forks and two straws. Gotta support the mountain rescue guys:)

Which one are you doing?

Blazer and clipboard in the moonlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Some people might be interested in this. Article on the death of a fell running legend, who died while running on the mountains at age 75.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bill-smith-lonely-death-of-a-modest-giant-of-fell-running-2366786.html

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Some people might be interested in this. Article on the death of a fell running legend, who died while running on the mountains at age 75.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bill-smith-lonely-death-of-a-modest-giant-of-fell-running-2366786.html
    I saw that. A terrible way to go. I know he may have loved the hills but his last moments were no doubt lonely and frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I popped in to post that, very poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SureWhyNot!

We're currently putting together some articles for this years Yearbook and would like to hear from any budding writers out there who have an idea for an article or who would be willing write up a league report. Send me a PM if you're interested or know someone who might be... Greg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

We're currently putting together some articles for this years Yearbook and would like to hear from any budding writers out there who have an idea for an article or who would be willing write up a league report. Send me a PM if you're interested or know someone who might be... Greg

I'm looking for short and snappy contributions on what races you like and why. See posting on imra forum, Cheers Mick.

Advertisement