Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you new to running? Helpful guides and plans here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

RoyMcC wrote: »
    gearoidol, nowhere in your post do you state a goal, aim or target. Do you just want to continue to lose weight/gain fitness? If so then you're doing remarkably well as it is. You probably don't need to change too much.

Running/cycling every day is pretty good. I know that the excellent Tergat (where he go :confused:) advises runners to train every day. However in your position I'd be inclined to drop down to 4-5 days and make one of those runs longer and one of your 5ks a faster effort. That way you improve but allow time for rest/recovery.

But it's all back to targets.

Thanks Roy,at the moment Im running the 5k in 29min 15sec. I'm aiming for 25min by Xmas and 20 mins by next June . Does that sound reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Crikey gearoidol - you're reaching for the stars there. That sort of (33%) improvement is unlikely in the extreme. If you're determined to just run 5ks then, with the correct approach, you may approach 25mins in a year or two. It would mean a much different approach to your training though with lots of interval-type running.

It's up to you to set your goals where you want - it seems to be more than weight loss and fitness now. 5k is a tough old distance to race. Why not think about longer stuff as well, which might be more sustainable within a healthy lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

This probably doesn't belong here, but it doesn't warrant it's own thread, so...

What pace should you be doing an "easy" run at? 5 minutes per kilometre? 6 minutes per kilometre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Desire. wrote: »
    This probably doesn't belong here, but it doesn't warrant it's own thread, so...

What pace should you be doing an "easy" run at? 5 minutes per kilometre? 6 minutes per kilometre?

If you can hold a conversation, it's an easy pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Quick question - I get serious heart burn after a run. Enough to have to drink a pint of milk after.

Any suggestions for combating this besides rennie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

I ran the Irish Runner in 38:30 on Saturday. It was my first ever race and I was hoping to get under 40 min so I was delighted with the result.

Now, I'd like to do the 10 mile run in the Phoenix Park in 5 weeks time. The thing is though that I've never ran over 6 miles before. Is it possible to build up to this in such a relatively short period of time?

I've been looking at some of the training programs but they're all for 10 or so weeks. Could I jump in on week 5 on one of those or would that be asking to get injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Now, I'd like to do the 10 mile run in the Phoenix Park in 5 weeks time. The thing is though that I've never ran over 6 miles before. Is it possible to build up to this in such a relatively short period of time?

Sure. Run 6 miles next weekend, then 7, 8, 9. Go slow and easy on each run, just getting used to the distance.
    In the race itself, don't go out too fast. You'll want to be at least 10% slower than at the 5 mile, maybe even slower because you're not used to the distance.

RayCun wrote: »
    Sure. Run 6 miles next weekend, then 7, 8, 9. Go slow and easy on each run, just getting used to the distance.
    In the race itself, don't go out too fast. You'll want to be at least 10% slower than at the 5 mile, maybe even slower because you're not used to the distance.

Thanks, I'll do exactly that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Hi folks. Looking for a bit of advice in pushing my 5k time. Currently doing about 18 - 18.30min, and would like to drive on to sub-18 and 17min 5k. I've been using intervals to up my pace to date and it's worked well with my cruising pace improving significantly.

I'm curious as to whether it is better to remain working with intervals over 5k, or if it might be better to run longer distances to build endurance? All thoughts welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Henno30 wrote: »
    Hi folks. Looking for a bit of advice in pushing my 5k time. Currently doing about 18 - 18.30min, and would like to drive on to sub-18 and 17min 5k. I've been using intervals to up my pace to date and it's worked well with my cruising pace improving significantly.

I'm curious as to whether it is better to remain working with intervals over 5k, or if it might be better to run longer distances to build endurance? All thoughts welcome.

What times are you running for longer distances 10k etc and whats your weekly mileage like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

shels4ever wrote: »
    What times are you running for longer distances 10k etc and whats your weekly mileage like?

Not really doing any longer distances. Only got back into training 6/7 weeks ago and long distance seemed a bit daunting at the time. Would have done a lot of heavy endurance training through GAA in my last teens/early twenties but hadn't really done any serious training in 4/5 years. Just started going for runs to open the lungs up again and set a routine of 5k every second morning. Was dying at first obviously but once I was comfortable with the distance I started doing intervals and I've been gradually improving since. Aside from the runs I do strength training 5 nights a week, upper body mainly but also some sets of squats/lunges alongside core work.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Right lads, wats the story with this ..

I downloaded the app the other day and went for a run and it stopped working after 4.5 k.

Then last night i had 7 k done and it was working well, telling me my pace, distance etc which i found good but then 5 mins later it announces that iv completed 17 kilometers which is just frustrating. so after doing a 21 k run it informed me that i had done 108km and that my average speed was 0.53 seconds a kilometer..

Is this a regular occurence as in its a hape of shi** or is that it rarely happens..

Should i simply invest in one of the watches and what is the cheapest and best version??

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

smurph10 wrote: »
    Right lads, wats the story with this ..

I downloaded the app the other day and went for a run and it stopped working after 4.5 k.

Then last night i had 7 k done and it was working well, telling me my pace, distance etc which i found good but then 5 mins later it announces that iv completed 17 kilometers which is just frustrating. so after doing a 21 k run it informed me that i had done 108km and that my average speed was 0.53 seconds a kilometer..

Is this a regular occurence as in its a hape of shi** or is that it rarely happens..

Should i simply invest in one of the watches and what is the cheapest and best version??

Thanks

Which app were you using, also if you are using an iPhone turn off the WiFi before you start your run.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

liamog wrote: »
    Which app were you using, also if you are using an iPhone turn off the WiFi before you start your run.

Why should you switch off the wi-fi?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Occasionaly the iPhone will lose GPS Reception, it uses a system call aGPS which stands for assisted GPS. What happens is the phone will look fo nearby WiFi hotspots and using data gathered from over users it can estimate where you are based on the local WiFi. This is not as accurate and can lead to massive jumps in your route on RunKeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Howdy.....

Currently running 5km at 25.30-26 mins,just wondering about stepping to 8km and 10km,should i run these distance sin training first?
    Currently stepping up to run for 30 mins,doing this twice weekly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 blackworld

This is already my 2 years on joining fun run's and marathon's but I always consider myself as first timer. I wanted to achieve things which I thought at first are very easy to do. Thanks to donothoponpop for sharing some helpful guides. :D

dahat wrote: »
    Howdy.....

Currently running 5km at 25.30-26 mins,just wondering about stepping to 8km and 10km,should i run these distance sin training first?
    Currently stepping up to run for 30 mins,doing this twice weekly

Can you clarify this. Are you racing 5ks and are wanting to race longer distances? If so then you are well capable of training and racing at the longer distances. Your 30min runs are a great base and you should be able to go much longer by learning how to pace yourself over longer periods. Make at least one run a week a progressively longer run.

Yes i have completed 2 races at 25.30 and 25.40 at 5km.
    I am looking to run 10k regularly,like once weekly maybe with 10k race here n there,not looking to be a serious runner,just respectable if ya get me.

Yes i have completed 2 races at 25.30 and 25.40 at 5km.
    I am looking to run 10k regularly,like once weekly maybe with 10k race here n there,not looking to be a serious runner,just respectable if ya get me.

I find 5k races pretty tough - there's no opportunity to have a little cruise, eyeballs out to the finish.

You're on the right tracks. To run to your potential over 10k you need to gradually up your long, slower run to more than that distance to build up your body's endurance capabilities. Don't neglect the shorter runs though - use them to keep up your speed.

10k is a great race distance which you can race hard if feeling good, but also you can ease back a bit if you need to without too much damage being done to your time.

• Advertisement

Do find the 5k helter skelter as i am too slow to run near the front and often end up running alone which is a mare at the best of times.

Will start with a LSR tomorrow to get over the 30 mins and take it from there,patience is the key i assume?Should i run normal over the first 25 mins and go slower after that to get a little more distance and time?

Should i run normal over the first 25 mins and go slower after that to get a little more distance and time?

No, start out slowly, though that may feel odd if you're not used to it. That way you let the run come to you naturally and you'll find that the distance is no big deal because you've conserved your energy.

Once you've got a bit more feel for different distances then you can start playing around with speed and pacing, but for now, yes, patience will take you a long way.

Thanks for the advice,will go as you said on my first LSR,10K here i come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Sorry to hijack,but have a question for Roy. Am relatively new to running also,about 10 weeks now.Currently im running 3 times a week,8.5k,4k and 6k. My best for the longer run is 44:33. My goal is to run 10k,no timeframe yet,just to complete. A little backround info: Im male,46,13st 10. In the interim days,ive just started on my rowing machine.What distance should i be using for my LSR? Should i be using the shorter runs for speed etc? Will the rower suffice for strength training? Also,ive just signed up for an 8k on Sunday coming,my first one.What prep should i do for this? Cheers in advance

Sorry to hijack,but have a question for Roy. Am relatively new to running also,about 10 weeks now.Currently im running 3 times a week,8.5k,4k and 6k. My best for the longer run is 44:33. My goal is to run 10k,no timeframe yet,just to complete. A little backround info: Im male,46,13st 10. In the interim days,ive just started on my rowing machine.What distance should i be using for my LSR? Should i be using the shorter runs for speed etc? Will the rower suffice for strength training? Also,ive just signed up for an 8k on Sunday coming,my first one.What prep should i do for this? Cheers in advance

Hi JC,
    First things first. Don't do anything too mad between now and Sunday - maybe your usual run today or tomorrow. Rest on Sat, or just get out for 15mins or so. Best to arrive at the starting post feeling fresh and pawing the turf.

Then pick your 10k and work towards it. Maybe jump into a programme (Hal Higdon/Runners World). You'll need to increase your weekly mileage gradually to execute a good 10k - I'd add another day in there if I were you. Build up your LSR to beyond 10k so that you're confident in that you can get the distance.

I'm a rubbish cross trainer but I believe rowing is one of the best things you can do towards all round strength and conditioning.

Good luck.

Cheers for that Roy.Have a 10k picked for 6 weeks time.Enough time? Ill add that i reckon even at this stage that i shouldnt have too much difficulty in the distance stamina wise.After 8.5k,wouldnt be out of breath much at all,its the legs ill have to work on

Six weeks is perfect, but you need to ramp up the mileage for five weeks only, leaving the final week for tapering and a light workload.

Come back and let us know how it's going.

Is it possible to injure your foot as a result of tying your shoe laces too tightly before a run?

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Six weeks is perfect, but you need to ramp up the mileage for five weeks only, leaving the final week for tapering and a light workload.

Come back and let us know how it's going.
    Seeing as im now running 3 times a week,8.5k,6k and 4k, can you suggest what i should be doing for the next six weeks? ie extra days,distance increases,pace increase etc. Really appreciate all this advice,cheers

• Advertisement

Seeing as im now running 3 times a week,8.5k,6k and 4k, can you suggest what i should be doing for the next six weeks? ie extra days,distance increases,pace increase etc. Really appreciate all this advice,cheers

Here you go http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

Jump in at Week 3. Use it as a rough guide, not a prescriptive programme. Personally I'd have another running day in place of one of the 'cross' days. At this stage don't worry too much about pace, though it will stand to you if you can step it up a little towards the end of each run. Speed/endurance work will be useful in the future but get your first 10k safely under your belt first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement