Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you new to running? Helpful guides and plans here.

Options
  • 07-12-2010 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

A very large amount of runners turn to this forum when taking their first steps. If you've decided you want to start running, or jogging, or keeping fit, there's a few good plans which are designed with the beginner in mind.

The Couch to 5k plan ("C25K") is one of the most popular, and a good place to start. You can even join in our forum C25K thread (Thanks RayCun!)

The Runner's World 8-Week Beginning Runner's Training Program is another useful read.

The Hal Higdon Novice 10k program can be a useful next step, if you want to target a 10k race. Onwards and upwards from there, hopefully you will continue to train and improve, and bring your race times down.

The most important piece of equipment you will need is a decent pair of trainers. Expect to pay around €60-€100 on these, and get fitted from a running shop that has knowledgeable assistants, and/or gait analysis. A suggested list can be found on this thread. Money spent on a decent pair of trainers can be saved from future physio bills, so give the bargain basement €20 trainers a wide berth!

The amount (and quality) of other gear you will need is up to you. By all means run with old tshirts etc until you get a feel for it, then perhaps your next purchase should be a decent technical top which "wicks" the sweat away from your skin. A comprehensive guide to running gear can be found here.

If you want to log your runs, a Garmin or similar can be useful. You can track your runs from Sportstracks , MapMyRun, or similar.

There's a very helpful and useful community of posters on this forum, who are happy to answer any questions you might have. (You can also use the "Search this Forum" utility at the top-right to see if your question may have been answsered previously). Also have a look at our forum charter to give you an idea of the ethos of the Athletics/Running/Triathlon forum. Best of luck to anyone starting out, the key is consistancy, those who stick at it on the dark and rainy days, are the ones who will benefit most. The hardest step is the one out your front door.:)

We'll sticky this beginner guide at the top of the page, given the frequency of beginner questions in the main forum. Anyone who wants to add anything to it, or ask any questions, feel free to add to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

You can delete this post if you want :P

Anyway, Runmeter is a great app for tracking your run on your iPhone, it tells you if you're ahead or behind you slowest/median/fastest and it lets you listen to music while running. I use it everyday. :D

I'm in no way affiliated with the people who make it, incase thats what you're thinking. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tysonslovechild

hell i might be in the wrong place but deos anyone know of any good running clubs round the rathfarnham area or crumlin rathmines area , i want to train for the marathon next year and its been a while since ive trained, any tips would be appreciated. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sportsworld Terenure train in Bushy Park, and Rathfarnham WSAF train in Ballinteer, I think.

Mods, did that list of clubs ever get compiled? Might be an idea to link it from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Here is the orginal post it was compiled but died off:

Hey people as per the discussion over the last few days we decided to create a thread for anyone who is looking to join a club or even just for club information. The first link is a find a club in your area link which is based on google maps to pinpoint the nearest clubs to you:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=5996

From here we have a list of up to date links for club websites and any other club related questions ask them here and hopefully there is someone to give you specific feedback from the clubs (there are quite a few represented here) or even just general feedback about clubs in general

Athletic Clubs

Antrim
    Abbey
    Annadale
    Ballymena and Antrim
    City of Lisburn

Carlow
    Tinryland
    St Lawrence O' Toole

Cavan
    Annalee

Clare
    Marian

Cork
    Ballincollig
    Bandon
    Belgooly
    Courceys
    Donoughmore
    Eagle AC
    East Cork
    Leevale
    Liscarroll
    Mallow
    Midleton
    Rising Sun
    St Finbarrs
    Skibbereen (No Website, Ring Billy on 086 8560197)
    Togher
    UCC
    West Muskerry AC

Derry
    Sparta

Donegal
    Cranford
    Finn Valley
    Letterkenny
    Milford
    Tir Chonaill

Down
    North Down

Dublin
    Boards AC
    Bros Pearse
    Clonliffe Harriers
    Crusaders
    Donore Harriers
    Dundrum South Dublin
    Liffey Valley
    Lucan Harriers
    Metro St Brigids
    Raheny Shamrocks
    Rathfarnham WSAF
    Sportsworld
    Tallaght
    UCD
    DCU
    Civil Service Harriers

Galway
    Athenry
    Craughwell
    Galway City Harriers

Kerry
    St Brendans
    Tralee Harriers

Kildare
    Celbridge
    Donadea
    Le Cheile
    Naas
    Newbridge AC

Kilkenny
    St Senans

Laois
    St Abbans
    Laois Athletics
    Portlaoise AC
    Portlaoise AC Facebook
    St Michaels AC Facebook

Limerick
    Dooneen
    Emerald
    Limerick
    West Limerick

Louth
    Adree and District
    Glenmore
    St Peters
    Drogheda and District AC

Mayo
    Mayo ac

Meath
    Bohermeen
    Dunboyne
    Navan
    St Brigids
    Star of the Sea
    Trim
    Ratoath AC

Monaghan
    Glaslough

Tipperary
    Clonmel
    Thurles Crokes

Waterford
    Ferrybank
    KCK
    Waterford
    West Waterford

Westmeath
    Mullingar

Wexford
    Bree
    Kilmore
    Menapians

Wicklow
    Bray Runners
    Kilcoole
    Inbhear Dee
    Parnell AC

If anyone has relevant links to be added please PM ecoli, and I'll add them to the list, which can be kept on the first post for clarity. Any other club contributions, questions, answers, whatever, go right ahead and post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 denis71

I started back in the gym before Christmas and have lost some weight but still have a bit to go. I have been doing some running on the treadmill but I am now looking to venture outdoors and run a 5k and 10k later this year and if things go really well then maybe the marathon in October.

Does anybody know of any clubs or groups that would be of help with this ideally around the Phoenix park or the Blanchardstown area.

mod-merged threads

• Advertisement

denis71 wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any clubs or groups that would be of help with this ideally around the Phoenix park or the Blanchardstown area.

Donore and Liffey Valley (see post above) both train in Phoenix Pak, you should give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

I've decided to give one of the couch to 5k programs a shot. (Yes, it's a resolution, no that doesn't mean I'll give up next week :p )

I'd read one before but came across a second one recently. The first one I've linked certainly appears to start a lot easier than the second one. I've tried the second one before and was sweating during my first week of training! What do you guys think about the two different programs? Does the first one seem reasonable or should I stick with the second one, the coolrunning one, because I know that it works you pretty hard.

My only worry is that I've quit the second one before. Still, good to get back on the horse right?

Links:
    http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

C25k is all the same... You can choose to do it my distance or by time. Most people do it by time. I just finished it this way and I thought it was brilliant. Go for it!

It's also really useful to download a c25k podcast to listen to while you're running so that you're not constantly looking at your watch.

EDIT: That first one is all wrong. Follow the coolrunning one. And slow waaaaay down if you find it tough.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I used the coolrunnings one, with an app on my android phone.
    I struggled on week one, couldn't run for 60 secs, so I improvised and ran for 30 secs, then increased it.
    During the course of the program I had to repeat days/weeks till I was comfortable enough to move on
    Mind you, I completed the program and I managed my first 5k run yesterday :D

The coolrunning one is better, you're doing more running each week so you'll progress faster, but the rest intervals give you a chance to recover. There are free podcasts by Robert Ullrey on iTunes that set the whole thing to music and tell you when to walk and run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll have to get to downloading those podcasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Might be worth tuning into Ray Darcy if you're just starting out on this running buzz.

He was talking about setting up a couch to 5k plan for his listeners this morning.

He came up with the idea on the spur of the moment so was thin on details but he was talking of holding a few 5ks around the country.

He said he got a big reaction from listeners in the space of five minutes and that he'd come back at a later date with more details.

but said they was a big

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Thank you boards.ie.

You've finally inspired me....
    After reading this thread, I've done it, I've started the couch to 5k plan today:D My legs are starting to hurt already :(

Had been thinking about taking up running most of last year, but never had a training programme and didn't know where to start. Didn't want to commit to a running group, so this suits me.

Just wondering has anyone else started, would like to start a thread to compare notes, get advice etc. any1 interested ??

I've started a thread here. Why don't you post, see if anyone else bites?

There's a big c25k thread somewhere on the food forum IIRC, and I personally found the c25k forums very helpful, as everyone's doing the programme over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭formerrunner25

hi all I used to run but gave up around 4 years ago i had a decent 4:09 for 1500m at 17. I decided to take it up again, i have not ran at all in 4 years however i have set the great Ireland run in April as my target with dublin marathon a long term goal in october. Has anyone any advice on the best way to go about this or is it even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Yes it is possible but we don't much about you so it is hard to give any solid advice. Have you played any sports/gone to gym in the 4 years? Have you a goal time or just want to complete?

You need to start back running from the bottom up once you have had a medical check and get the ok from it. Its the wise thing to do in my opinion.

I was something like you but not as quick and took up running again to lost the weight (doc's orders) but had done a lot of cycling and soccer. I personally didn't do any races for 6 months as i needed a good base before i took on a race.

It will be hard and its a gradually thing but many others will give you advice on here better than me. All the best with it formerrunner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Marathon Mad

Hay,

Glad I found this post very useful for me as I'm looking to start running/training this month... Would you also happen to know of any site that details/list all runs, marathons etc in Ireland for 2011?

Thanks

Glad I found this post very useful for me as I'm looking to start running/training this month... Would you also happen to know of any site that details/list all runs, marathons etc in Ireland for 2011?

Don't think there is a completely comprehensive one, but keep an eye on the Events subforum. Also there's a thread in there where people list the profiles of races they've run. This is a good list of races that took place in the past, and since most races this year are repeats of previous races...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭formerrunner25

lads, i am only 22 years of age, however i have not ran in3/4 years. i have had a very unhealthy lifestyle due to college. i sarted back in the new year. my immediate goal is the great ireland 10k with dubllin marathon 2011 the long term goal. do i have enough time? is a target of 40mins for 10k and 3:30 for marathon unrealistic? anyone have any advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Hi all, Iv just this very day returned to the fitness world with the aid of Nike

plus, I am "amazed" by it!!!! I am currently going from doing Zero.. to

attempting a programme to get me up to 5k over 12 weeks. I also wish to lose

weight, so I'm wondering whats the best foods to eat to fuel my training and

shed a few pounds. What should I avoid i.e potatoes?..pasta??..Bud ice cold?? ;)

Thanks a million for any input!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hi all, Iv just this very day returned to the fitness world with the aid of Nike

shed a few pounds. What should I avoid i.e potatoes?..pasta??..Bud ice cold?? ;)

mod
    Hi,

I merged your thread in here since its a beginner question. You will get good recipes here as well.
    /mod

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Great thread :)

Well first, congrats on getting started! :D

At the moment I'm using myfitnesspal.com to track my food and exercise. You input some information after you register like age, height, weight and how much you aim to lose over a certain amount of time. It will come up with a daily quota of calories, carbs, proteins and fats to get you there. It's really very handy for keeping on track! You'll still need to figure out what to eat yourself, but it will tell you how you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Fiddler

Hay,

Thanks

http://www.runireland.com/ is a great place to get all forms of running/walking events in Ireland! Hope it helps you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Here's the info on the race: http://cooleylegendshalfmarathon.wordpress.com/about/

I'm considering putting myself forward for the Cooley legends half-marathon, but a bit wary about it. I wouldn't be hugely unfit- very few 20 year old girls would be- but I'm not playing any sport or doing any form of training at the moment. The race is on the 24th of April and if I do it I'd be starting my training now for it.

In case anyone is wondering why I want to take on this wee bit of a feat without much training yet, it's cos this is with the purpose of raising money for charity. I'm teaching in Calcutta pretty much all Summer and need to raise at least €3000 to go, hopefully more so the school I go to gets more resources. I figured that if I do something big and requiring more effort than a road race, I'll get the sponsorship.

So people who've done the run or who are used to mountain races- does this sound like something a beginner could do? How much injury risk would I be running if I'm only starting training now? Alternatively I could do the road race option for it, but I think it'd be better for me to aim higher, but also more sponsorship with more effort, I hope!

Thanks for reading this and the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Here's the info on the race: http://cooleylegendshalfmarathon.wordpress.com/about/

I'm considering putting myself forward for the Cooley legends half-marathon, but a bit wary about it. I wouldn't be hugely unfit- very few 20 year old girls would be- but I'm not playing any sport or doing any form of training at the moment. The race is on the 24th of April and if I do it I'd be starting my training now for it.

In case anyone is wondering why I want to take on this wee bit of a feat without much training yet, it's cos this is with the purpose of raising money for charity. I'm teaching in Calcutta pretty much all Summer and need to raise at least €3000 to go, hopefully more so the school I go to gets more resources. I figured that if I do something big and requiring more effort than a road race, I'll get the sponsorship.

So people who've done the run or who are used to mountain races- does this sound like something a beginner could do? How much injury risk would I be running if I'm only starting training now? Alternatively I could do the road race option for it, but I think it'd be better for me to aim higher, but also more sponsorship with more effort, I hope!

Thanks for reading this and the help :)

I'd walk it if I were you, 9 weeks is not enough time to go from 0 - 13.1 miles running, especially over rough terrain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it was flat id say maybe but again 9 weeks is far from ideal regardless

You mention your not really fit but you dont mention if you've done any running.

If you have done any running how much/what distance and how recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

mod Hi Acid Violet,

I moved your question into this thread, so more will see it. Have a look around at some of the training plans. There's good advice on mountain-running on this thread, but being honest, 9 weeks is hardly ideal prep for a 21k hill run.

Best of luck
    -donothoponpop
    /mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Cabaal wrote: »
    If it was flat id say maybe but again 9 weeks is far from ideal regardless

You mention your not really fit but you dont mention if you've done any running.

If you have done any running how much/what distance and how recently?

Heya- whenever I was running, which is about 2 weeks ago, I was doing a few k on the threadmill, about 5-6 in 30 minutes. This was just me starting up, as you might've guessed. I found it reasonably easy to come from doing no training to going to 5/6/7k or so, mainly cos it's fúck all distance! I will be able to train probably 5 times a week from now on, for the most part, and also my sister is running the connemara half-marathon (and will be 22 weeks preggers when running!) so I can do some sorta terrain training with her.

I'm not scared about putting in the hard work or really having to push myself, or have to go through hell when doing it, just anxious about injuries and the extent to which they would set me back.

I think 10 k would be something I could run now- not necessarily well, but I could do it, so I figure if I work on it I would like to think I could build up to 20 k decently enough.

Thanks for moving this thread to somewhere I'd get more responses!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement