Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you new to running? Helpful guides and plans here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Here are some additional running resources (BarryP's running plan from Slowtwitch).

Basic Running Recommendations:
    1. Run 6 days a week (yes!). Run frequency is the key.
    2. 3 short, 2 medium, 1 long
    3. Use a 1:2:3 ratio for time for the above (medium is twice as long as a short, long is three times).
    4. Example: starting off, with 10 mins for short run (3 times per week), 20 mins for medium run (2 times per week), 30 mins for long run (once per week). (Or 5 min, 10 min, 15 min if you prefer).
    5. Increase by 10% per week

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2434248;search_string=barryp%20basic;#2434248

There are more advanced plans for more advanced athletes, with different phases of the season (eg adding tempo runs instead of a medium run etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Thanks nwm2.I'll get around to going to a physio very soon:).Heading out for a short 5km run now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Aiel wrote: »
    Is there a thread for advice on injuries?I have bad tendon problems which just wont go away.After every run i usually need to use Diclac anti-inflamatory gel,i also have to keep them raised with ice on them.How do i get rid of the problem.I know resting them is the thing but am currently training for a 10km on Inis Oirr in a few weeks time.Im trying to train smarter by doing quality not quantity but ideally i'd love the pain gone.

More than likely your tendon problems won't go away if you're still training, especially if you're getting inflamation. RICER (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevation, Referral), with an emphasis on the two R's. I bet you know this already though;) Might be an idea to skip the 10k, get better, and focus on another in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Help me get started please:

I know almost anything I ask here is already answered somewhere on this forum but I hope you'll agree there's a bit of an information overload here and excuse me for looking for easier answers.

I'll be 39 this year :eek: I've never been seriously out of shape but have been (am?) shockingly unfit. Never a heavy drinker but up until 2 months ago I was smoking between 10 and 20 cigs a day. Off them two months now and doing ok. I figured, with my fairly relaxed lifestyle, the noticable health benefits of quitting would not be enough to keep me off them, so decided to get back to using the gym in work, with the focus on treadmill, rower and bike to get the aerobic fitness to a decent level.

About four years ago I had health problems which resulted in a pretty serious chest operation and complications which left me with lung capacity about 25% down. No reason not to enjoy recreational running though once I get a bit fitter. Short term, I have a romantic notion in my head of sneaking out for a run at 5am before the family get up and get the endorphins flowing before school runs and work. Longer term, I'd like to do a marathon before I'm 50.

I try to spend ~30 mins per gym session on the treadmill. So far, I think my best distance in that time was about 4km and my best unbroken run was about 1.5 - 1.7km. Generally it's something like run 1.2, walk .2, run 1, walk .3, run .8, then .5k walk to cool down and finish.

One of the problems I have is finding a pace I'm comfortable with. (I'm not even sure what measure of speed the treadmill uses, I'll guess km/h). Some days I'm happy jogging along at 9kmh, other days I can hit 13/14. The obvious trouble with the treadmill is the fixed speed and having to deliberately choose, raise and lower it, but would your advice be to set myself a time goal, or distance, or speed?

Or would I be better getting off the treadmill altogether and going outside?

Any pointers for developing a more efficient stride? I now find myself looking at runners when I'm in the car and thinking "he/she looks like they could keep that pace up all day long". When I look at myself running in the gym I look like somebody who is putting an inordinate amount of effort into jogging!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Here are some basic tips on running form.

I think you should switch to running outside (especially if you are in Milltown, you have a great path along the Dodder to follow). It lets you find your own comfortable pace, rather than following a treadmill, and I find it much more relaxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What would be reasonable 5k time for a beginner to aim for? I'd have a moderate level of fitness from soccer. 5'10" about 150 lbs. I dont run much at the moment but looking to get into it.

What would be reasonable 5k time for a beginner to aim for?

Everyone always asks that question (and 'will I finish last?'), but there's no such thing as a 'reasonable time'. It's different for everyone, it depends on how fit you are starting off, how much training you put in, and how well you run on the day.
    (you most likely won't be last)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

RayCun wrote: »
    Everyone always asks that question (and 'will I finish last?'), but there's no such thing as a 'reasonable time'. It's different for everyone, it depends on how fit you are starting off, how much training you put in, and how well you run on the day.
    (you most likely won't be last)

That's what they told me too. I was last :(

What would be reasonable 5k time for a beginner to aim for? I'd have a moderate level of fitness from soccer. 5'10" about 150 lbs. I dont run much at the moment but looking to get into it.

What age are you? How often do you play soccer and what do you do outsde it?

If I had to pick numbers I'd say 30 mins is slow, 25 mins is respectable. 20 mins is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hey, I am a super unfit guy but lately I have started running for the past few weeks in the gym on a treadmill and now I could run about 3km on the treadmill straight without any breaks. Though I got sick of running on the same spot for 20+ mins and I went for a run outside and could barely manage 1km before my lungs gave up (my legs could go further but my lungs couldn't!).

So from monday onwards I'm gonna start running outside. I got myself a Garmin GPS watch to help me and keep track of my training. My ultimate plan is to be able to run the Dublin marathon this year. But I need smaller short term goals to reach there.

I'ld like to be able to run at least 5km by the end of this month.

What would you guys suggest would be the best training plan for me so that I can achieve my goal of being able to run at least 5km by the end of this month?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Hey, I am a super unfit guy but lately I have started running for the past few weeks in the gym on a treadmill and now I could run about 3km on the treadmill straight without any breaks. Though I got sick of running on the same spot for 20+ mins and I went for a run outside and could barely manage 1km before my lungs gave up (my legs could go further but my lungs couldn't!).

So from monday onwards I'm gonna start running outside. I got myself a Garmin GPS watch to help me and keep track of my training. My ultimate plan is to be able to run the Dublin marathon this year. But I need smaller short term goals to reach there.

What would you guys suggest would be the best training plan for me so that I can achieve my goal of being able to run at least 5km by the end of this month?

Thanks!

Would you considering doing a c25K plan? You could just jump in to whatever week you feel your ability is at.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Thanks!

Is the marathon not a bit much to aim for this soon in the game? Why not do the half marathon and go for a full one in the spring or next year's Dublin Marathon. There's plenty of 5 and 10k races to do between now and September too so you shouldn't have trouble finding mini goals to aim for.

Hey, I am a super unfit guy but lately I have started running for the past few weeks ... My ultimate plan is to be able to run the Dublin marathon this year.

It's not impossible to do, but you are really asking for an injury. Marathon training involves several hundred miles of running, and there are plenty of people fitter than you, with more running experience than you, who have gotten injured in that training. (And if you don't do the training then the marathon itself could be a very painful experience)

As the others have said, you would be better off starting with something like the couch25k running plan (there are other people following it in this thread) and aiming for some shorter distance races this year. That would put you in a great position to do a marathon next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well, I made a stupid bet with my friend (who is super fit) last year that I'ld beat him in this year's Dublin marathon which he's planning on running. I was supposed to start my training at the beginning of the year but I didn't really get running till a few weeks ago so I guess I'll ultimately have to put off the bet till next year. Still it would be nice if I can be able to do atleast a half-marathon by winter time. Aside from the bet thing (which I'm using as something to motivate me to get off my ass and start runing!), I wanna get fit myself.

Since the past 4 weeks (except for the last week), I have been running around 4 days a week and have been pushing myself to about 90% of what I can do on a treadmill increasing the time and distance I run everytime I get on the tredmill. I liked how it was easy to keep track of your progress on the tredmill with the time, speed and distance in front of you but running on the same spot for more than 20mins is mindnumbingly boring and hence I wanna start taking my training outdoors.

Although I'ld like to know what my "baseline" is. Like I know I can run for around 20mins straight on the treadmill and good speed and that would be at around 90% of my capacity (which I like to 'push' myself to everytime I'm running). Though I'm not really sure what my baseline is when running outside and how I can figure out where my fitness level currently is to be able to determine where I can jump into the c25k program in as I feel I can do the week 1 workout easily and I would like to push myself to the usual 90% (or what it feels like 90% to me!) as I do on the treadmill, when I'm running outside.

I guess I could start from around week 3 of the c25k program and see how it goes...

Thanks for the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

after a few pints at the week end afew of the lads decided to try for a half marathon this year and like fools some of us who havent run in years agreeded.

Im not fit havent run since i was about 17 (23 years ago) would it be possible to get in some type of decent shape to be able to attempt it. I dont mind if I have to walk some of it as well. If it is possible am I better of joing a gym or buying a treadmil of just walking and running on the roads around me.

Also could any one recommend a decent pair of runners.

Thanks a million for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gudgeoon

Hi everyone

I am 39 and I have never run since I was a kid but I walk an hour a day. As I am reaching middle age - :( - I notice I am getting less fit and putting on a little weight (a small amount on my back and midriff, I am naturally thin). So I am going to run.

From what I can see I should be doing 30mins of high intensity aerobic exercise, 3/4 times per week with a rest every second day. Is this right? It seems like very little. Can I use a rowing machine in addition? Does that help running?

I want to do a 10km during the summer to have something to work towards. Is 50 mins an achievable time to aim for? How about the Docklands 8km fun run in 40 mins?

Will doing weights help me and can it be done in addition to the running without overdoing it? I have never lifted weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Gudgeoon wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am 39 and I have never run since I was a kid but I walk an hour a day. As I am reaching middle age - :( - I notice I am getting less fit and putting on a little weight (a small amount on my back and midriff, I am naturally thin). So I am going to run.

From what I can see I should be doing 30mins of high intensity aerobic exercise, 3/4 times per week with a rest every second day. Is this right? It seems like very little. Can I use a rowing machine in addition? Does that help running?

I want to do a 10km during the summer to have something to work towards. Is 50 mins an achievable time to aim for? How about the Docklands 8km fun run in 40 mins?

Will doing weights help me and can it be done in addition to the running without overdoing it? I have never lifted weights.

Welcome

Training can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Unfortunately there is no magic number in terms of how much to do and how much time.

The reason that 30 min is recommended by some beginner plans is that your body has to adapt to the extra work load. Running is a weight bearing sport and as such it takes your body a while to get used to the pounding. As your body gets used to it you can increase the mileage and time you run.

If it is not that much you can suppliment it with cross training (rowing etc) or other non weight bearing sports (swimming, cycling, elliptical trainer). As your aerobic base develops and your body gets used to running you can start increasing mileage and frequency of running and even pace (though one at a time as increasing all three or even two at same time is a recipe for injury)

Regarding weights I would say that as a beginner there is no need. Many athletes use this to develop power but without the strength its trying to build a house without putting down foundations....... it will all fall apart

There are many beginner plans available here that will help you get started and from there you can progress and build up. Good idea to have a goal race to keep you motivated but I asy get out and run and only start thinking about time when you come close to your race when you are more aware of your capabilities. Set your targets to match your fitness not the other way around you may suprise yourself

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi all,

I've decided I'd like to take up jogging as the walking just doesn't seem to having an effect on fitness and weight loss for me!

I have a few questions regarding what to wear.

First of all the footwear - I have just recently bought a new pair of adidas runners - just regular ones, don't think they are specifically for jogging or anything. Would it be best to buy another pair that are specifically designed for jogging and If so could you recommend some (not too expensive if possible!)

Regarding the clothing - I'm not sure what to wear but I'm thinking I'd roast in a tracksuit pants but I've never worn leggings so I don't want to be poured into them(!) but im thinking they may be better for jogging - recommendations?

I'm female, 26 btw:)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oops sorry about that mod - was so excited about my new venture I failed to notice this thread! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Hi guys,totally new to this forum. Im 47,reasonably physically fit but probably not very aerobically fit.Im starting the 13 week couch to 10k this evening.Ive taken advice from some of the threads here and have gotten myself some pretty decent runners,socks ,shorts etc.My question is,the program im using is for 3 days per week.It recommends not doing any more even if you feel you can.Im wondering is it ok to use a rowing machine on the days im not out pounding the roads? Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi guys,totally new to this forum. Im 47,reasonably physically fit but probably not very aerobically fit.Im starting the 13 week couch to 10k this evening.Ive taken advice from some of the threads here and have gotten myself some pretty decent runners,socks ,shorts etc.My question is,the program im using is for 3 days per week.It recommends not doing any more even if you feel you can.Im wondering is it ok to use a rowing machine on the days im not out pounding the roads? Cheers in advance

Many plans would include cross training and there is no reason why you shouldnt do non weight bearing sports such as cycling, swimming, rowing, elliptical machine to help suppliment your training. For a beginner I say this is a very sensible approach as even though it is not event specific (which will come into play the more experienced a runner you are) you will still see general benefits in your performance.
    The plan you are using is as it says "Couch" to 10k as such it is designed for someone without any previous sporting experience so the not doing any supplimentary work is a safety precaution to ensure you arent overdoing it however if you have some physical fitness your body should cope with it just fine

One more quickie. What part of yor foot should strike the ground first?

Hi guys,me again. Sorry for being a pain with all the questions.Did session 1 of couch to 10k last night.Was going to do the 3 sessions mon,wed and fri but think tue,thur and sat might suit me better.Im going to use a rowing machine on the days in between.How long should i use it,suggestions please!!! Also,should i use it every day that im not doing a session or should i be taking a rest day? Again,sorry for all the silly questions,but im determined to do this right.Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

Hi,
    I have never really ran anything competitive.. Supposingly I am doing a 10k run in 20 days time. I was wondering if anybody knew of a plan online somewhere that I could follow, or even a link to another thread?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If you're able to run 10k right now, you'll be fine.

If you're not able to run 10k right now, you won't be able to do it in 20 days either.

One more quickie. What part of yor foot should strike the ground first?

I would use your natural running gait for now. You are probably landing heel first, like the vast majority of other runners.

There is a lot of talk about forefoot and midfoot striking. Elite long distance runners usually (though not exclusively) land with the midfoot.

See my thread here for examples:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056269546

Some of the newer 'packaged' running styles (Pose method, Chi running) advocate midfoot landing (amongst other changes) as a way of reducing injuries. Not conclusively proven either way.

Check this out:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Hi,
    I have never really ran anything competitive.. Supposingly I am doing a 10k run in 20 days time. I was wondering if anybody knew of a plan online somewhere that I could follow, or even a link to another thread?
    Cheers

To do 10k you'd really need a baseline of fitness to begin with, if you can run 5-6km already you might make it over the finish line without too much trouble.

However if your starting from scratch, i'm afraid its a bit late now to start a training plan, but if you plan to run one further down the road then they're plenty of training plans to work from, such as the Hal Higdon plan - recommended by lots of Boardsies here:

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

Alternatives would be to join a Fit4Life group, most running clubs have them and accomodate for all levels of fitness, they can help you with getting you up to a target if thats what you're aiming for.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,me again. Sorry for being a pain with all the questions.Did session 1 of couch to 10k last night.Was going to do the 3 sessions mon,wed and fri but think tue,thur and sat might suit me better.Im going to use a rowing machine on the days in between.How long should i use it,suggestions please!!! Also,should i use it every day that im not doing a session or should i be taking a rest day? Again,sorry for all the silly questions,but im determined to do this right.Cheers in advance

Don't go from zero to 100 mph in 1 week. You'll be out for weeks with injuries. Take it from the voice of experience.

A properly done rowing workout does significantly work the upper legs, and running the next day on tired legs is a good way to get injured when you're starting off.

Take it easier and build up more slowly than you feel you can handle. Add in the rowing machine bit by bit over time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement