Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you new to running? Helpful guides and plans here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm not scared about putting in the hard work or really having to push myself, or have to go through hell when doing it, just anxious about injuries and the extent to which they would set me back.

I don't think you'll be able to run it, or even run most of it, but you should be able to complete it.
    • Run 3/4 times a week between now and then, don't worry about speed just about time on your feet.
    • On the weekend do one longer run, building up the distance by about 10% a week but running slower on this run. You're more likely to get injured by pushing too hard - you want to focus on consistent training, and incremental gains.
    • Run outside instead of on a treadmill, and run/walk some hills on those weekend runs.
    • Get a good pair of trail runners and get used to wearing them on your runs.
    • Get used to running in your required kit, and try out the different energy snacks that you'll be bringing.
    • If you know any better runners, preferably experienced hill runners (not your pregnant sister!), get them to do some runs with you,even do the half with you. (If you have a local running club, go along and see if anyone there is doing the same run - they may have tips)
    • Take it easy the week before the race
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't think you'll be able to run it, or even run most of it, but you should be able to complete it.
    • Run 3/4 times a week between now and then, don't worry about speed just about time on your feet.
    • On the weekend do one longer run, building up the distance by about 10% a week but running slower on this run. You're more likely to get injured by pushing too hard - you want to focus on consistent training, and incremental gains.
    • Run outside instead of on a treadmill, and run/walk some hills on those weekend runs.
    • Get a good pair of trail runners and get used to wearing them on your runs.
    • Get used to running in your required kit, and try out the different energy snacks that you'll be bringing.
    • If you know any better runners, preferably experienced hill runners (not your pregnant sister!), get them to do some runs with you,even do the half with you. (If you have a local running club, go along and see if anyone there is doing the same run - they may have tips)
    • Take it easy the week before the race
    Good luck!

This is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

mrslow wrote: »
    This is vital.

Yes, but let's not overstate the matter. Most of your running can still be done on a treadmill, but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Yes, but let's not overstate the matter. Most of your running can still be done on a treadmill, but not all.

Respectfully disagree, RayCun is correct in my view. Tready is OK for a change or if there is no alternative, but most running needs to be done away from it.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Respectfully disagree, RayCun is correct in my view. Tready is OK for a change or if there is no alternative, but most running needs to be done away from it.

Fair enough. Here is my n=1 experience. I am far from a brilliant runner, perhaps average in Boards terms (in the last couple of months I've done 19:20 5k, 41:20 10k on outside roadraces) but I do 90% of my running indoors and have done for many years.

The physics are identical (there's no difference between the ground under you moving or not as it's all relative) and the biomechanics are extremely similar. The main difference is the lack of wind. I run with a 1.5% gradient.
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    Tready is OK for a change or if there is no alternative, but most running needs to be done away from it.

If you're trying for much better times than I can achieve, then you're probably right. Just saying that depending on your goals, a lot can be achieved with the vast majority of your training done on a treadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Nwm2 wrote: »
    The physics are identical (there's no difference between the ground under you moving or not as it's all relative) and the biomechanics are extremely similar. The main difference is the lack of wind. I run with a 1.5% gradient.

If you're trying for much better times than I can achieve, then you're probably right. Just saying that depending on your goals, a lot can be achieved with the vast majority of your training done on a treadmill.

You're way faster than me but I suspect you could be faster still :) Here's an extensive thread which explores the argument - I'll read through it again and see if I can agree with you then.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056067540&highlight=treadmill

Bear in mind that the question was from a non-runner planning to do an offroad half-marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hiya, I'm a newbie when it comes to running! Have started the C25K on the threadmill at the gym and am doing ok-ish on it, have gotten through week 2 anyway. Tried doing it on the road today and couldn't even finish the second run because of the pains in my legs from running on the road. I've been getting pains in my legs a bit on the threadmill but managed to work my way through it, but on the road today I had to stop or I was going to crumple in to a heap.

I know I've got crap runners, and I'm hoping to go & get a gait analysis and a suitable pair of runners in the next week or two, but should I still expect some pain when running on the road for the first while until my legs get used to it? By pain I mean moderate that I can run through, rather than agony that makes me pull up.

You should join in on this thread, everyone is on the same plan.

You're putting more pressure on your legs that they're used to, so they are going to complain. Better runners will help, as will running on softer surfaces, like grass. You could also do some stretches after your run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 newbeerunner

I'm new to running, and after five months of training, I've just done my first half marathon in 2.22. I really want to do a half in under two hours. Am I being completely unrealistic? If not, can anyone recommend a training plan. I've no races planned for the future, apart from the same race again next year. So basically, I've got a year to knock 23 minutes off my half marathon pace. I'd really appreciate any views on whether it might be possible if I work hard - but of course I'm not getting any younger (late forties). Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

<mod> Hi newbeerunner, there's been quite a few "new runner" threads lately, they are just dropping off the front page and lost after a few replies, and many are asking the same questions. So I've moved your thread here, where it should get a longer shelf-life, and be of benefit for all to see.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

What kind of training are you doing now? How often do you run, how far and how fast? You should certainly be able to get under 2 hours after another year of training.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm new to running, and after five months of training, I've just done my first half marathon in 2.22. I really want to do a half in under two hours. Am I being completely unrealistic? If not, can anyone recommend a training plan. I've no races planned for the future, apart from the same race again next year. So basically, I've got a year to knock 23 minutes off my half marathon pace. I'd really appreciate any views on whether it might be possible if I work hard - but of course I'm not getting any younger (late forties). Many thanks.

Hey newbeerunner, I took a similar amount off my time between my first and second halfs (2:17 -> 1:58). The difference for me was straight-up mileage - I did the second half while pretty much at the peak of marathon training. If your next half is going to be a year away, I'd advise you to build up the base mileage and work on some speed in the meantime (a few 5k, 5 mile and 10k races would help with that), then look at picking up a plan closer to the time of the race (most HM plans are about 12 weeks long). I certainly think it would be possible for you to go under 2 hours if you put the work in.

RayCun wrote: »
    What kind of training are you doing now? How often do you run, how far and how fast? You should certainly be able to get under 2 hours after another year of training.

Dear RayCun,

At the moment, I'm resting up after Sunday's half - an also I've got a stinker of a cold! My plan is to run three times a week with one longer one (say six or seven miles) and two shorter ones (probably four). The fastest I ever ran was four miles which I did at 9.25 minute miles, and if my training log is to be believed, it nearly half killed me! I've got no access to a track, but I have got a bit of traffic free road close to me which is on a moderate slope which I try to belt up as fast as possible, as many times as I can - I quite enjoy that sort of training.

Many thanks for encouraging me to go for under two hours - it's great to hear that it should be possible.

Hey newbeerunner, I took a similar amount off my time between my first and second halfs (2:17 -> 1:58). The difference for me was straight-up mileage - I did the second half while pretty much at the peak of marathon training. If your next half is going to be a year away, I'd advise you to build up the base mileage and work on some speed in the meantime (a few 5k, 5 mile and 10k races would help with that), then look at picking up a plan closer to the time of the race (most HM plans are about 12 weeks long). I certainly think it would be possible for you to go under 2 hours if you put the work in.

Dear Rainbow Kirby

Many thanks for the encouragement - its great to hear that it can be done, and very well done on your half marathon improvement. Don't think I've got a marathon in me though, I really admire the mental stamina needed.

Thanks also for the advice, I'll look into local races to encourage me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Last year was a disaster for me, I dropped out of college and piled on the weight. So in January I made the decision to get fit.
    I'v being swimming and going to the gym at least a couple of teams a week and eating healthier, no major life changes just little things and I'm making steady progress.

When I started using the treadmill back in January I couldn't run for 2 minutes without stopping, now I can run 3k in about 20 min, and I wouldn't be too bad after it.

If I pushed myself for the next month and half would it be possible for me to run a 10k run. If so how much training would ye reccomend to achieve this. Thanks for any responses..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Novice 10k training program here, 8 weeks long. Do you think you would be capable of jumping in on week 3? If so, go for it. If not, choose a later race.

Train for it, and if you can't run it all, run as much as you can and walk the rest.

thanks for that, yeah I reckon I might be ok for week 3, shur i'll train for it anyway. See how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good work, you have done well so far!

You should remember, a lot of the change is going to have to come by changing you diet...

Getting fit is great, but it will be far easier on you [and your body] if you reversed that "piled on the weight" trend :)

If you wanted to post up what you ate on an average day, there are plenty of "armchair experts" here, who could give you pointers on that kind of stuff.

Good work, you have done well so far!

You should remember, a lot of the change is going to have to come by changing you diet...

Getting fit is great, but it will be far easier on you [and your body] if you reversed that "piled on the weight" trend :)

If you wanted to post up what you ate on an average day, there are plenty of "armchair experts" here, who could give you pointers on that kind of stuff.

Well iv lost a bit of weight since xmas, about a jean size, so thats a start! Should I post it up on this thread or start a training log?

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Well iv lost a bit of weight since xmas, about a jean size, so thats a start! Should I post it up on this thread or start a training log?

I've moved your thread into this beginners sticky, so that others will read it to for the same advice. <mod>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I started getting back into jogging a few months ago with a couch to 10k program.......I started it, then got sidetracked by something else but have been back at it for the last 4-5 weeks....playing indoor soccer and cycling helps but it can still be tough......I have a few queries

1) How do I increase speed, I am gradually increasing the distance being run and the time spent running without stopping to walk but my speed remains just over 7 miles an hour on average, i'd like to up that a bit but as I increase distance and time being run I am just able to maintain the same level of speed.

2) headwinds, ughh, I hate these, they are a nightmare when cycling but now I have to contend with these basterds when running too...very demotivating to run into a long long straight with a massive unrelenting headwind in your face - on top of that my eyes get all watery too so what's the best way to cope with headwinds? Mind you, running with them at your back is quite nice....problem is I do some running on salthill promenade and more often than not there's a strong gust going in one direction or another, it can be quite annoying and disrupt rhythm one way or another, i find myself thinking, this is quite hard/quite easy depending on what way the wind is blowing, maybe I should change routes?

3) does anyone have the sensation of trying to swallow back saliva while they are running or is this just some weird habit of mine, it disrupts my breathing as I try to swallow it back and sometimes my throat is too dry and well I'm swallowing away and nothing is going down.......any easy way to bring water with you while you run?

4) stitches, got one today for the first time in a few weeks, i blame the massive effing headwind for almost killing me and I ran on with it for a while but the pain was excruciating, is there any way to run these utter b******ds off or do you simply have to stop when you get one? I tried to keep going, I'd say I ran for about a kilometre with an awful side stitch but I had to stop eventually, about 2 minutes before the scheduled end of my program, quite disappointed with that as it was my first failure

5) what foods are best for a runner to build stamina?

thank you if you can help with any of these queries

donfers wrote: »
    1) How do I increase speed, I am gradually increasing the distance being run and the time spent running without stopping to walk but my speed remains just over 7 miles an hour on average, i'd like to up that a bit but as I increase distance and time being run I am just able to maintain the same level of speed.

If you haven't been running long, then you will get faster naturally just by continuing to run. Running longer distances will make the shorter distances seem easy, and you will improve without noticing it.

If you really want to speed up, try doing shorter bursts at a faster pace. If you're going out for a 5 mile run, for example, don't try to run the full 5 miles at a faster pace. Instead warm up for a while and try
    • strides - run for about 15 seconds at about 80% of a sprint. Try to keep a good running form throughout. Slow down, recover completely, and go again. Do about ten of these over the course of your run
    • 5k pace intervals - run for about 400 metres at the pace you'd run in a 5k race. Recover for about the same amount of time as your interval. Do 4 or 5 of these over your run, and try to keep the same pace in each one. (As you progress, do more/longer reps)
    • Tempo pace runs. 1 mile easy, 1 faster, 1 recovery, 1 faster, 1 easy. Pace should be your 5k pace plus 10-15%
    • Fartlek training - random distances, different paces. Basically, pick a target and run as fast as you can to that target without slowing down until you reach it. If the target is quite close, you run faster, if it's further away, you run slower

1) How do I increase speed... what Ray says

2) headwinds, ughh, I hate these training isn't meant to be easy, a headwind adds resistance and will ultimately help you run faster

3) does anyone have the sensation of trying to swallow back saliva while they are running or is this just some weird habit of mine, it disrupts my breathing as I try to swallow it back and sometimes my throat is too dry and well I'm swallowing away and nothing is going down.......any easy way to bring water with you while you run? water holders, camelbacks, etc. Most male runners I know spit, hock, fart, puke, (unless a chick is running with them)

4) stitches, got one today for the first time in a few weeks, This is your diaphram fighting for blood with your gut. Will get better when the breathing gets easier, in time. Try taking long slow deep breaths, the stitch may go away

5) what foods are best for a runner to build stamina? None at this stage, if you're just started jogging, concentrate on increasing speed/distance. Lowering your fat intake will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

OK I have caught the running bug and it has me hooked .

I enjoy a 5k run and find myself hitting my comfort zone and autopilot around 2k into it .
    I have been doing this same 5k course in my local park now most evenings for the past couple of weeks .

But my questions is how many breaks from this 5k run should i be taking in a week ?

I would go every evening but im afraid i am over doing it .

Ta In Advance.
    M

I think your body will tell you when you need to take a break, better than anyone on here. One or two days a week could be enough, maybe even fewer than that.

I do think you're more likely to improve if you take more rest days, so that on the days you do run you can push yourself a bit more, by running further, or faster. But then again, if you enjoy doing the same loop and you're not worried about times, why change?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Is there a thread for advice on injuries?I have bad tendon problems which just wont go away.After every run i usually need to use Diclac anti-inflamatory gel,i also have to keep them raised with ice on them.How do i get rid of the problem.I know resting them is the thing but am currently training for a 10km on Inis Oirr in a few weeks time.Im trying to train smarter by doing quality not quantity but ideally i'd love the pain gone.

• Advertisement

Aiel wrote: »
    Is there a thread for advice on injuries?I have bad tendon problems which just wont go away.After every run i usually need to use Diclac anti-inflamatory gel,i also have to keep them raised with ice on them.How do i get rid of the problem.I know resting them is the thing but am currently training for a 10km on Inis Oirr in a few weeks time.Im trying to train smarter by doing quality not quantity but ideally i'd love the pain gone.

The single most controversial topic on ART!

Have you seen a good physio? This is a must.

The root cause of these problems is too difficult to diagnose over the internet, as a good physio will look to see what the underlying cause is (muscular imbalances or flexibility issues or other biomechanical problems) and give you the exercises needed to address the problem.

Yes, it's going to cost you 2 x €50 at least, but it's worth it. Physios can be a bit hit and miss however, but still better than diagnosis on a forum. For example, an ongoing groin strain I had turned out to be more of a symptom of a hip impingement problem, only discoverable by the physio (and I think could have been missed by others).

One bit of advice I would give (although I have never done it) would be for people to get a proactive going over by a good physio before launching into a season of training, especially if you're a beginner. There's nothing like a large run volume to brutally expose imbalances, weaknesses or poor running form. Ideally a physio would spot these beforehand.

I know in some of the pricier training camps there is a one on one session with a physio for this purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement