Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you new to running? Helpful guides and plans here.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Here you go http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

Jump in at Week 3. Use it as a rough guide, not a prescriptive programme. Personally I'd have another running day in place of one of the 'cross' days. At this stage don't worry too much about pace, though it will stand to you if you can step it up a little towards the end of each run. Speed/endurance work will be useful in the future but get your first 10k safely under your belt first.
    Excellent,thanks very much. Ill keep you posted if thats ok

So,did the 8k yesterday,time was 46:58. Was a bit of a cock up at the start,no marshal at the first turn off,everyone went astray,putting about an extra 2:30 on us. Came in 20th out of 79,so was pleased out.Down side is,have a very sore groin and sore foot this morning:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So,did the 8k yesterday,time was 46:58. Was a bit of a cock up at the start,no marshal at the first turn off,everyone went astray,putting about an extra 2:30 on us. Came in 20th out of 79,so was pleased out.Down side is,have a very sore groin and sore foot this morning:(

Well done.......you finished high up the order,fair play.

Have just marked out my first venture beyond 5k today,7km 26th August,with a slower pace i should finish ok,way down but finish it i hope to do

dahat wrote: »
    Well done.......you finished high up the order,fair play.

Have just marked out my first venture beyond 5k today,7km 26th August,with a slower pace i should finish ok,way down but finish it i hope to do
    Best of luck with it. Id imagine 40 mins or a little less should be very doable for you.

40-42 maybe though not really going to set a target just run it relaxed.
    Going to try find someone to run with as more often than not i end up racing solo which is no help really

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    40-42 maybe though not really going to set a target just run it relaxed.
    Going to try find someone to run with as more often than not i end up racing solo which is no help really
    I run alone too and even in the race yesterday I ended up in no mans land.Was keeping tabs on the watch at the markers,so at least I had that to keep myself in check

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Running the Kildare mini marathon on the 28th which is going to be my first race at any distance. I've been training at the 10k for a while now. Times are around 55mins. I know I'm not going to post much better than this, but what would be a respectable time to aim for longer term? Running isn't a competitive thing for me but I'd like to improve solidly too.

I would think our times are more or less the same. I have a 10k in mind for May 2012 for which im aiming for 45 mins.Doable,im not sure,but thats the goal.At the moment,im just happy to finish,speed will come in time i guess

Just completed my first 5 mile run this morning,44.38.pure delighted with this.
    Gives me a great base for 10k runs in time,felt really comfortable between mile 3 to 4.5,tired alittle after that but last 400 yards to my home is up a tasty hill..

Feel really confident going into my 7k race next week.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Hi,

Gmap recently updated their website. You can map runs, save your routes and log your workouts.

Link

• Advertisement

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi,

Gmap recently updated their website. You can map runs, save your routes and log your workouts.

Link

Great link,will find this really usefull,thanks!!

1.What would be considered" heavy" for a runner? (as in the person,not the shoe)
    2.What is a LSR? ie distance,pace etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

1.What would be considered" heavy" for a runner? (as in the person,not the shoe) Well you're not going to win races unless you're an ectomorph - light and lean. Unfortunately you don't get to choose your body type. I think that most 'social' runners consider themselves overweight to a greater or lesser degree. Look at the 'lose weight challenge' thread on here for example. I never hear of runners trying to gain weight! I'd say if you feel heavy then you probably are, but each of us needs to decide on how much action we take to lose the extra in order to run better.

2.What is a LSR? ie distance,pace etc
    Any run that is longer than your normal training runs, done at a slower pace. Can't be more precise.

Cheers for replies.In regards to the "heavy" question,was from a shoes perspective.Im 5'10-11",13 1/2 stone.Would this be considered heavy and therefore need shoes for a heavier runner,in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Cheers for replies.In regards to the "heavy" question,was from a shoes perspective.Im 5'10-11",13 1/2 stone.Would this be considered heavy and therefore need shoes for a heavier runner,in your opinion?

I'd say I'm 'heavier' than that but I run happily in lightweight shoes. Unless you're a real clumper and need the extra cushioning I wouldn't go for 'heavier runner' shoes. Better to practise good running form in normal shoes.

Others may advise differently.

At the minute,have Asics 1160's but aint happy with them.Cant quite put my finger on it.They seemed fine from new but have changed.They are far from worn out,only have them a couple of mths,not huge mileage on them.They feel funny in the middle,narrow maybe,have a sore arch from one.Was thinking on going on to either Lunarglides or Pegasus.Any thoughts anyone?( Had gait done and was told in most,have a neutral gait with a very slight tendancy to over pronate).Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

At the minute,have Asics 1160's but aint happy with them.Cant quite put my finger on it.They seemed fine from new but have changed.They are far from worn out,only have them a couple of mths,not huge mileage on them.They feel funny in the middle,narrow maybe,have a sore arch from one.Was thinking on going on to either Lunarglides or Pegasus.Any thoughts anyone?( Had gait done and was told in most,have a neutral gait with a very slight tendancy to over pronate).Cheers in advance

I wouldn't go to pegasus, they offer next to no support (except cushioning). Lunarglides will give you a bit of support if you need it. I am neutral but also tend to pronate a little on long runs, which caused a few ankle/foot injuries when I was wearing pegasus. Since I have switched to Lunarglides those injuries have disappeared.

Cheers for that,was going to take a look at +3's.Are these what you're using? If so,how do you rate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Closing this thread... the point was to sticky the information in the first page, random questions just get lost in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement