Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you new to running? Helpful guides and plans here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Don't go from zero to 100 mph in 1 week. You'll be out for weeks with injuries. Take it from the voice of experience.

A properly done rowing workout does significantly work the upper legs, and running the next day on tired legs is a good way to get injured when you're starting off.

Take it easier and build up more slowly than you feel you can handle. Add in the rowing machine bit by bit over time.[/QUOTE]
    So,are you saying that the 3 sessions per week are enough for now? I am going to do them on tue,thur and sats,would that be an appropriate spacing to do them? Cheers again in advance

Have just started the c210k,second session of week 1 complete.Just a couple of quick questions.The program is 13 weeks,3 sessions per week.Im doing them on tue,thur and sats.My questions are-
    1.Are the 3 sessions weekly all i should be doing?
    2.Can i do other light excercises on the non session days ie.walking or i have a rowing machine
    3.Should i be taking i complete rest day?
    4.What are some basic stretches i should be doing before and after? Ive looked them up but theres so many,wouldnt know where to begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

1.Are the 3 sessions weekly all i should be doing?

At first yes, key to running is slow consistent progression. Doing too much to soon is a recipe for loss of motivation, injury, ilness. You need to let your body adapt to the new stresses without overdoing it and breaking down completely. Think of it like weights you wouldnt go for the heaviest weights on your first day you build up to that starting smaller and increasing as you build strength

2.Can i do other light excercises on the non session days ie.walking or i have a rowing machine

Yes but see above. Listen to your body is the best advice I can give you not to over do it. If you are constantly tired as a result of training you are doing too much

3.Should i be taking i complete rest day?

Yes. Your body needs time to recover. As you progress and develop you can slowly phase this out but this would be a more long term phase out (few years of consistent training. Even when its phased out you still neesd to recover. The rest part is when we actually improve. Stress and adapt (recover) you wont improve without both elements

4.What are some basic stretches i should be doing before and after? Ive looked them up but theres so many,wouldnt know where to begin

Focus on major muscle groups common to running. Hamstrings, Glutes and calves are the Big 3 which need to be addressed. These are common areas of problems for runners which should be addressed. ITB strecthes can also be beneficial

Cheers for that sir,very informative.Ill stop asking all these niggly little questions now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Cheers for that sir,very informative.Ill stop asking all these niggly little questions now:)

its what the thread is for;)

• Advertisement

Any tips on proper breathing techniques while running? Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Any tips on proper breathing techniques while running? Cheers in advance

You don't have to teach a baby how to breathe, so why would a runner have to learn a 'technique'.
    In short if you are out of breath, it's normal. If you don't want to be out of breath, run slower/less distance. As you improve you will be able to run furhter/faster without getting out of breath.

Hi guys,as ive already posted in here,doing the C210k. First week went handy enough,no problems. 2nd week is a different story altogether. The first session increased the running bit 100% from 1 min run 2 mins walk to 2mins run 2 mins walk.The 2nd half of this session was painful.That was last tuesday. On wednesday,went for a 30 min walk,felt every bit of it.Yesterday,did 2nd session of week 2,run 1 min walk 2 mins x7 times.Everything that could go wrong DID. Got a knot in my left calf,pain in my right groin and a bloody stitch!!!! I dont feel as if im over doing it,but my body is telling me different i guess.My next session is due saturday evening,run 2 mins walk 2 mins x6 times.Should i be ok to do this??? Is it ok/normal to have some pain at this early stage and work through it or should i leave it until im totally pain free? All suggestions greatly appreciated.Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

edit: got my answers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Hi guys,as ive already posted in here,doing the C210k. First week went handy enough,no problems. 2nd week is a different story altogether. The first session increased the running bit 100% from 1 min run 2 mins walk to 2mins run 2 mins walk.The 2nd half of this session was painful.That was last tuesday. On wednesday,went for a 30 min walk,felt every bit of it.Yesterday,did 2nd session of week 2,run 1 min walk 2 mins x7 times.Everything that could go wrong DID. Got a knot in my left calf,pain in my right groin and a bloody stitch!!!! I dont feel as if im over doing it,but my body is telling me different i guess.My next session is due saturday evening,run 2 mins walk 2 mins x6 times.Should i be ok to do this??? Is it ok/normal to have some pain at this early stage and work through it or should i leave it until im totally pain free? All suggestions greatly appreciated.Cheers in advance

You will note that all of our responses to you focussed more on injury than anything else!

Are you doing the additional rowing sessions you asked about?

How fast are you running during the run portion of the session? Or rather, on a scale of 1-10 how much effort is it? What is your warm up like?

Static stretching before a workout is generally more likely to give you an injury, while a warm up is less likely.

Err on the side of running injury free until you have many miles under your belt. Especially if you get a pain in your knee, don't run through it! You are unlikely to get a true groin strain from jogging.

What pain did you experience in the first session of the second week, and in the 30min walk?

• Advertisement

Nwm2 wrote: »
    You will note that all of our responses to you focussed more on injury than anything else!

Are you doing the additional rowing sessions you asked about?

How fast are you running during the run portion of the session? Or rather, on a scale of 1-10 how much effort is it? What is your warm up like?

Static stretching before a workout is generally more likely to give you an injury, while a warm up is less likely.

Err on the side of running injury free until you have many miles under your belt. Especially if you get a pain in your knee, don't run through it! You are unlikely to get a true groin strain from jogging.

What pain did you experience in the first session of the second week, and in the 30min walk?
    First of all,cheers for reply. Im not doing any rowing,decided to give it a miss until im ready for it.As for running speed,havnt a clue.Prob more jogging than running i guess.Warm up is a 4 to 5 min walk to my start point. Is this sufficient? I dont do any stretching before but do some gentle stretches after my cool down,which is also a 4 to 5 min walk back home.In the first session this week maybe pain was the wrong description but every muscle in my legs were screaming to stop.It was more of the same on the walk-sore legs. Maybe i shouldnt have walked and rested them?
    On the 2nd session this week(Thur),got what i can only describe as a very bad cramp in my left calf and a twinge in my right groin.Could this be due to the camber in the road?
    Did my 3rd session tonight(Sat),2 mins run 2 mins walk x6 times.Wasnt too bad, calf felt a bit tight but groin was still twingy. Next session isnt till next tuesday,Run 3 mins walk 2 mins x7 times.Should i not do anything till then? All suggestions greatly appreciated and again,cheers in advance.
    P.S. Is it normal to get all these aches and pains at this early stage.?Is it the case that 'it has to get worse to get better'?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

I was just wondering is adding some extra speed into one/or two of my runs each week essential? I'm not training for any specific race but I would like to get faster and hopefully improve my 10k time of 57mins (which I know is slow but personally I was thrilled with it as I really wanted to get under an hour). I'd also like to run a half marathon at some point in the next year or so. Basically is introducing speed into one of my runs essential/benificial?

I really only started running to get fit and lose a couple of lbs but now I've found that I love it and want to get better at it..

Hedwig wrote: »
    I was just wondering is adding some extra speed into one/or two of my runs each week essential? I'm not training for any specific race but I would like to get faster and hopefully improve my 10k time of 57mins (which I know is slow but personally I was thrilled with it as I really wanted to get under an hour). I'd also like to run a half marathon at some point in the next year or so. Basically is introducing speed into one of my runs essential/benificial?

I really only started running to get fit and lose a couple of lbs but now I've found that I love it and want to get better at it..

They say that to run fast in a race, you need to run fast in training. A traditional training plan will have a mix of long runs (slower than your 10k pace), shorter runs close to your 10k pace (tempo runs) and shorter faster runs done at 5k race pace and faster. These latter speedwork sessions will be done as an interval session. You need to incorporate some of these speedwork sessions, though usually not immediately. Typically for 10k runners, you will be running some longer intervals at 5k race pace, and shorter intervals at an even faster pace.

Pick a 10k training plan from somewhere, appropriate to your fitness level and goals, and it will have some speedwork sessions in it.

Check out http:/www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm for a calculation of the various paces you should be running at. These will be based on your current ability (ie your most recent race).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

Thank you!

And I have another question (sorry :P) but I love to run in the morning cause I find that I don't do it if I say I'll run in the evening but my problem with running in the morning is when to eat for breakfast or having breakfast at all before I run. I find if I have breakfast I get stitches really quickly even if I wait about 30 mins before my run and if I don't have breakfast I sometimes get light-headed or feel nauseous.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Are there any nutritious foods that would give me energy but wouldn't cause stitches or a sluggish feeling?

Hedwig wrote: »
    Thank you!

And I have another question (sorry :P) but I love to run in the morning cause I find that I don't do it if I say I'll run in the evening but my problem with running in the morning is when to eat for breakfast or having breakfast at all before I run. I find if I have breakfast I get stitches really quickly even if I wait about 30 mins before my run and if I don't have breakfast I sometimes get light-headed or feel nauseous.

Does anyone know how to get around this? Are there any nutritious foods that would give me energy but wouldn't cause stitches or a sluggish feeling?

There's a lot to be said for running in a fasted state, various studies show the benefits for losing weight.

If you can run at the pace required and for the time required without breakfast, then you can just use a banana + water maybe. Or energy gel + water. Experiment. But make sure you drink, as you will be dehydrated when you wake up.

This is fine for the shorter/easier runs (2-3 per week). For the harder sessions (the weekly long run, or speedwork sessions) it does require some mental fortitude, and it might not be possible to complete the session at the required intensity without fuelling. These sessions might need to be scheduled at another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Hey everyone, Im starting running. I used to do a little cross country about ten years ago but injury has prevented me from enjoying running since and I have taken up swimming and cycling instead. I have decided to start running again in the hopes I will do some sort of triathlon at some point. I have decided to run late at night at around 11 or so. There are several reasons to this logic including hopefully knackering myself out to sleep earlier then I am and also it fits in better with my day at the moment.

What sort of increment of an increase in distance would be reccomended and would you reccomend eating after if so what would you reccomend

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Murty Boy

Hi all . . did my first 10km race last week at 37yrs of age . . now I want to do a half marathon, can someone recommend a good training program, website or android app to help me . . thanks in advance . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

hi, I jog a circa 6km circuit a couple of times a wk but never stretch/warm up as I don't really know what routine to follow.
    Could someone offer very general/basic stretching/warmup/warmdown advice/links?
    Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You don't need to/shouldn't stretch before you run, but here are some stretches you could try afterwards

RayCun wrote: »
    You don't need to/shouldn't stretch before you run, but here are some stretches you could try afterwards
    I think you've just contradicted yourself there;)This is an excerpt from the link you posted

[SIZE=+2]Warm Up and Cool Down:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1] Stretching is important during your warm-up, before you run, because it increases blood flow to the muscles. But stretching during your cool-down may be even more important. "After running, stretching helps to remove lactic acid from the muscle, which in turn reduces muscle soreness," says Pitchford. "That promotes better flexibility." Stretching afterwards also will help you relax.[/SIZE]

• Advertisement

Well, you should be warmed up before you do any stretching, because otherwise you could injure yourself. You could warm up, stretch, and then run, but I don't see the point.

Hi guys,as ive posted in here before,just started c210k.Into week 3 now,had good days and bad days,as to be expected i guess.The last couple of times ive been out,my knees have started at me.I get sore under my kneecaps i.e. not in my kneecaps,but under them.Is this normal and to be expected as part of the whole' getting used to it' thing? If not,anysuggestions as to what it could be?
    I'll add that i do 3 sessions per week,nothing in between except for the occasional walk,and when i am out,i dont push it or over do it.
    My first session this week was Run 3mins,Walk 2mins x7 times.Didnt find this too bad,but my 2nd session,Run 2mins,Walk 2mins x6 times,even though it should have been a doddle in comparison,was actually tougher!!! Is this also normal? Cheers in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Murty Boy wrote: »
    Hi all . . did my first 10km race last week at 37yrs of age . . now I want to do a half marathon, can someone recommend a good training program, website or android app to help me . . thanks in advance . .

Hi Murty Boy,

Hal Higdon is a name you will hear a lot about with regards to training plans.

He has a number of half-marathon plans here so you can pick your level (i.e. beginner, intermediate or advanced).

Hope this helps,
    Dev

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Murty Boy

Thanks Dev . . just what I was looking for . . starting the novice one on Monday . . :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Murty Boy wrote: »
    Thanks Dev . . just what I was looking for . . starting the novice one on Monday . . :eek:

Best of luck with the training.

If you have any questions you can drop into the Half Marathon Support Thread where you should find some helpful responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on going from threadmill to outdoors? Been running for past 1.5 yrs on threadmill, can do 5k fairly comfortably although a series of niggly injuries have slowed me down lately, currently resting due to a calf strain.
    Anyway i'd love to run outdoors but am worried about taking the step, mainly worried about it being too hard, getting half way around the route and not able to go anymore! A fella recently told me it was easier run outdoors.

Anyone got sany tips?

It usually is easier to run outdoors - it's cooler for one thing, and you can slow down when you like without worrying about falling off the back.
    Find a park nearby, run on the grass, and if you have to stop and walk, so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Murtinho wrote: »
    Anyway i'd love to run outdoors but am worried about taking the step, mainly worried about it being too hard, getting half way around the route and not able to go anymore! A fella recently told me it was easier run outdoors.

Anyone got sany tips?

As Ray says, you have to walk for a bit, so what? There are no rules or Walk Police. If you're concerned about what people will think I assure you they've got other things to be worrying about.

Get outside, start off slowly and 'let the run come to you'. Look around at your surroundings, take an interest, say 'hi' to other people. Make running more than just a mechanical exercise and you'll learn to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

started running on a treadmill about 5 weeks ago afrter giving up the cigs to try and stop wight gain.Starting weight was 178.5 lbs now weigh 156 pounds. I run a 5k 6 to 7 nights a week and then do 8k on an exercise bike afterwards 6 to 7 nights a week. First 5k was 32mins now running them in 30mins.
    My question is am i overdoing it? I feel fine and am suffering no pains etc.I dont want to risk injury and all my progress goes for nothing.SO im now running 5k @ about a 5mins 50 second pace.What would be the correct goal times to set so i dont over do the pace?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

gearoidol, nowhere in your post do you state a goal, aim or target. Do you just want to continue to lose weight/gain fitness? If so then you're doing remarkably well as it is. You probably don't need to change too much.

Running/cycling every day is pretty good. I know that the excellent Tergat (where he go :confused:) advises runners to train every day. However in your position I'd be inclined to drop down to 4-5 days and make one of those runs longer and one of your 5ks a faster effort. That way you improve but allow time for rest/recovery.

But it's all back to targets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement