Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner suggestions?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Anyone any quickfix food suggestions that they fall back on that are somewhat healthy? When I plan ahead to make leftovers I usually eat well.. but I fall into the trap of m&s readymeals, take aways and such when work gets busy. I'm looking to get a bit better at avoiding this.

For example:

Boil pasta and mix with a couple of spoons of pesto when its cooked, at the same time grill a chunk of salmon. Seems to take about the same time to grill the fish as boil the pasta. Put them together and hey-pesto you're done, and its quite tasty. (15mins onto your plate if you get in from work after a run).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Could you cook batches of stuff on your day off work and freeze or refrigerate them. I often cook up a big shepherds pie and just have the same dinner 3 days in a row - whack it in the oven when you're leaving for your run and it'll be ready to go when you're back, or make extra spag bol and heat it up when you get in, cook a whole chicken/turkey/joint of ham etc and make salads, hearty sandwiches when you get in.

I can be very good and do the above, or, very bold and come in and just have toast and orange juice. I try to eat a big lunch to make up calorie wise for my lack of nutrition later in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Dice chicken breast and marinate it in chilli powder and sweet chilli sauce.

Boil pasta (brown if possible)

While the chicken is marinading dice peppers, red onion and garlic

put chicken into skillet or wok and allow to start cooking after 2-3 min add veg and more sweet chilli sauce

Prepped and cooked in about 20 min. Healthy and the sweet chilli give a boost to the blood sugars perfect after or before a run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Omlette packed with as much veg as possible - any combination of the following: onion, mushroom, tomato, sweetcorn, peppers, garlic, brocolli, olives, baby corn, cold boiled potato, and whatever else might be lurking in the fridge like cooked chicken/ham/rashers etc

Cooks in bout 15 - 20 min, super filling, reasonably balanced and also great for using random stuff in the fridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I used to make big batches of Chilli Con Carne with rice at the weekends and then froze it and would have it for 3 or 4 days straight during the week. Just had to throw it into the microwave to heat up and that was it.

Mince
    Fresh Chillis
    Chilli Powder
    Coriander
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Onion
    Garlic
    Beef Stock
    Red Kidney Beans
    Tin of Chopped Tomatoes

Basically fry the onion and garlic, then add the mince and cook it, drain off the fat, add the rest of the ingredients and once it's heated through, you're done. I used to boil basmati rice and have it with it but I guess Uncle Bens Wholegrain rice might be a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

kingQuez wrote: »

For example:

Boil pasta and mix with a couple of spoons of pesto when its cooked, at the same time grill a chunk of salmon. Seems to take about the same time to grill the fish as boil the pasta. Put them together and hey-pesto you're done, and its quite tasty. (15mins onto your plate if you get in from work after a run).

Where`s your veg? :confused:
    For emergencies, like a 30mile run before work, I have a shower and drink a MaxiMuscle MaxiMilk, apple and banana on my way into work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Large tin of tuna, glug of olive oil, some grated lemon zest, couple of tbs of lemon juice, a garlic clove crushed, couple tbs of capers, parmesan, some cooked pasta. Mix! Tastes great, very healthy and only takes as long as it takes to cook the pasta. Feeds four (if you cook enough pasta).

Roast some chopped veg (courgette, peppers, red onions, diced carrots) in the oven for 20 mins with a little garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper and salt. In the meantime cook some couscous with some lemon juice and chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you're a veggie). Mix together.

Poach some chicken breasts (immerse in a flavoured stock on a gentle simmer, allow to simmer for a two minutes (don't want to boil the chicken), and then turn off the heat and allow to stand in the liquid for around 10 minutes). Make a Bang Bang chicken sauce with some Soy, peanut butter, chilli sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. Serve the sliced chicken topped with Bang Bang sauce on a bed of noodles, with some raw cucumber and shredded carrot.

Smoked salmon, parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and zest, creme fraiche (or cream if you're not worried about the fat). Fry the garlic, add the creme fraiche, lemon zest, parmesan, chopped smoked salmon, mix with tagliatelle. Done.

Beans on toast. yum.

Magnet wrote: »
    Where`s your veg? :confused:
    For emergencies, like a 30mile run before work, I have a shower and drink a MaxiMuscle MaxiMilk, apple and banana on my way into work.

I love how you make a 30 mile run before work sound so casual and normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

creme fraiche (or cream if you're not worried about the fat)

:confused: Creme fraiche is about 30% fat!
    Not that it actually matters, low fat stuff is a scam as far as weight loss is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Make some dal in advance, actually tastes better after a few days and you can chuck in, steamed veg or potato cubes to change it around a little and it's cheap as chips (well in the 80's).
    Ingredients
    1.5 cups of dal (I use the green), you can chuck in a few diff types and chickpeas - whatever takes your fancy.
    1.5 tsp of garlic paste
    2.5 tsp of ginger paste
    pinch of salt
    chilli power - as much as you want a kick (start with 0.5 tsp)
    1 tsp of cumin seeds
    large onion
    tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tsp of garam masala
    fresh corriander

Add the dal, garlic, ginger and salt to a large pot of boiling water and cook for about 1hr.
    In a frying pan with oil add the cumin seeds until they splutter and start to darken, then chuck in the onion (finely chopped) fry off and add the tin of tomatoes, continue to fry and then add the garam masala and corrinader and mix in with the dal.
    You can serve with sour cream and naan or for a lighter option low fat natural yoghurt with finely chopped tomato and cucumber.
    Nyom - now I'm hungry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

I use the BBC good food magazine website (its free). You can search food by category (e.g. low fat, hi carbs etc.) as well as by preparation time (usually select <30 mins).

Shop for the ingredients at the start of the week and you are ready to rock.

• Advertisement

:confused: Creme fraiche is about 30% fat!
    Not that it actually matters, low fat stuff is a scam as far as weight loss is concerned.
    You can substitute the creme fraiche for water and rice crackers, or just water. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Jesus Christ lads if some of those recipes are basic I must be a feckin' caveman. Heres some of my elaborate recipes:

Noodles + can of tuna + frozen vegatables

Quite a complex preparation procedure though, takes a massive 2 minutes to whip up.

Or you could go for

Instant rice + frozen veg + tofu

Sounds fancy with the tofu and all, but I just eat the tofu raw, no cooking involved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Very impressive contributions lads and ladies.....We really should get this list published in an upcoming edition of Irishrunner :)

For the record here's mine.. Salmon, potatoes, fresh veg and now the best bit....Nuke 420g of Batchelors Baked Beans and pour all of it over the top of the plate and bobs ur uncle..

For some reason my OH looks away in disgust but it tastes fab :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

tunguska wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads if some of those recipes are basic I must be a feckin' caveman. Heres some of my elaborate recipes:

Noodles + can of tuna + frozen vegatables

Quite a complex preparation procedure though, takes a massive 2 minutes to whip up.

Or you could go for

Instant rice + frozen veg + tofu

Sounds fancy with the tofu and all, but I just eat the tofu raw, no cooking involved there.

I have to agree with this post. The poster wanted a simple recipe they didnt want the most fancy dinner one could come up with. A lot of these sauces are dangerous to athletes whether their high in fat or of the exotic variety which does not suit the distance athlete. I cannot come with a recipe as one of my other halfs cook it usually icon12.gif

I have to agree with this post. The poster wanted a simple recipe they didnt want the most fancy dinner one could come up with. A lot of these sauces are dangerous to athletes whether their high in fat or of the exotic variety which does not suit the distance athlete. I cannot come with a recipe as one of my other halfs cook it usually icon12.gif

Fat is good for the long distance athlete...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Niceone folks, that lot should see me through another few years :)

Oh, for the record... my two other secrets:

fry some lardons (or chopped up rashers), add a fist or two full of frozen peas, a big blob of creme fraiche, half a teaspoon of dried mint, and mix in some cooked pasta. noym. tastes great, and takes about 15mins.

and my chili that i cook and freeze by teh bucket is from jamie olivers 'ministry of food' book. its incredible. it must be bad for you :D

Fat is good for the long distance athlete...

Not saturated fats which those pasta sauces are full off. Dont see them on the dinner menu in Kenya I can tell you

Any meal that you can cook for four people in 20 minutes using healthy ingredients is about as simple as it gets. The simplest food sounds challenging unless you're willing to give it a try.

Ugali? Not that hard to make, could be done in the morning if one has maize in abundance

Ugali? Not that hard to make, could be done in the morning if one has maize in abundance
    Sounds good. Post a recipe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Not saturated fats which those pasta sauces are full off. Dont see them on the dinner menu in Kenya I can tell you

Bodyfat is saturated fat. Should we not get the body used to using that as a fuel source?
    You'll actually find those sauces are not full of saturated fats, more like trans fats. those are the bad ones.

Sounds good. Post a recipe.

I forget some of the small ingredients as its been a while since I made it although Kiwirunner may have posted it on his blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Poach some chicken breasts (immerse in a flavoured stock on a gentle simmer, allow to simmer for a two minutes (don't want to boil the chicken), and then turn off the heat and allow to stand in the liquid for around 10 minutes). Make a Bang Bang chicken sauce with some Soy, peanut butter, chilli sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. Serve the sliced chicken topped with Bang Bang sauce on a bed of noodles, with some raw cucumber and shredded carrot.

This sounds awesome. I woke up at 4am this morning thinking of this, I cursed you into hell and back at 4.15 Krusty when I couldn't go back asleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

do most supermarkets stock sesame seeds and sesame oil?

do most supermarkets stock sesame seeds and sesame oil?
    Yes, but they charge a lot for sesame oil, and the quality is crap. Better off heading to your local Asian super-market and buying a good roasted sesame oil, for around €4 (I'm sure Shels4ever can recommend some good brands. I keep buying the same one, because I recognise the shape of the bottle!). Roasted sesame oil is very strong flavoured and has a low smoking point, so you just use it for flavouring rather than cooking (but you knew that already!). If you want an Asian cooking oil, peanut oil is the one with the right favour, but it's not terribly healthy, so you can use sunflower oil, which is slightly less evil (less saturated fat), but also less tasty.

If you roast the sesame seeds (give them a quick dry-fry in the frying pan), it brings out the seed's oils and flavours. I usually roast a number of types of seeds together (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, pine nuts) and throw them into a plastic tub, and then lash some into the morning porridge. Crunchy, tasty, healthy.

Luverly, pucker, my old chum, mate. <- my best Jamie Oliver impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

1. Seal chicken breast, apply a layer of chorizo, cook for 20 mins @ 200C, apply a layer of mozzerella cook for a further 5 mins, serve with your choice rice/pasta/baked potato.

2. Create a mixed salad, dress with balsamic dressing, fry fillet or striploin steak pieces and pine nuts drop onto salad with Cashel Blue cheese and serve with baked bread (split a clove of garlic and rub it just a little on the hot bread for the garlic bread taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

1. Bake a potato in the microwave. Soften some sliced onion in a pan, add a tin of tuna and warm through. Put potato under grill for a few mins with some cherry tomatoes. Stuff potato with tuna mix, and sprinkle with tomatoes and feta cheese

2. Quesadillas - get a wrap/tortilla. Sprinkle on grated cheese, spinach, spring onions, chilli, whatever you like. Put another one on top like a sandwich and warm through in a pan. Make some guacamole by blitzing avocado, chilli, de-seeded tomato, lime juice, coriander leaves, spring onion in food processor (or buy some). slice up quesadilla and serve with guacamole

3. Cook pasta. While its cooking, soften spring onion and tomato in pan with some grated ginger and butter/olive oil. Add sprinkle of suger and a spoon of creme fraiche. Mix with hot pasta. Sounds strange but tastes good

4. http://vegetarianrecipes.wikia.com/wiki/Mee_Goreng sounds like a lot of ingredients but very simple and takes literally 10 mins. I don't bother with the fried shallots and use prawns (frozen) instead of tofu - still yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you want an Asian cooking oil, peanut oil is the one with the right favour, but it's not terribly healthy, so you can use sunflower oil, which is slightly less evil (less saturated fat), but also less tasty.

Peanut oil is a hell of a lot healthier than crappy processed Sunflower oil. The American food Pyramid (and fad diets like weight watchers that follow that pyramid) has a lot to answer for making us all believe that saturated fat is *the big enemy*. It is not.
    Remember just a few decades ago when people used to do all their frying in lard. Guess what? There was a hell of a lot less heart disease and obesity back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I fry with coconut oil - major saturated fat but exsessivly nutririous. It's a medium chain fatty acid which means the body uses it for energy like a carb and its stable at very high temps unlike most plant oils and some nut oils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Any meal that you can cook for four people in 20 minutes using healthy ingredients is about as simple as it gets. The simplest food sounds challenging unless you're willing to give it a try.

I wouldnt have to cook for four bodies to often so maybe you're right about that Krusty. I do know for a fact though that if you're just whipping up dinner for yourself, its possible to prepare healthy meals in less than 10 minutes. I do it all the time. Theres no need to complicate things with a long list of ingredients, I mean if you have the time, by all means go for it, but if somebody is pushed for time, keep it basic.

Advertisement