Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Grievous wrote: »
    I fail to see your point, if you have one.

You have a job.

Lots of people don't have jobs; check the stats and talk to some local people and you will find many have being made redundent or lost their positions somehow or another.
    Technical point: jobs are made redundant, not people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Kasabian wrote: »
    If it is accuarte I am €400 a month worse off :eek:

You sure that's not for the year? It says I'm 74 worse off a month but I don't know how much faith I have in it...plus maybe that's right for next year but will the tax credits change the following year and result in me paying more...

I'm finding it pretty feckin confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I fail to see your point, if you have one.

You have a job.

Lots of people don't have jobs; check the stats and talk to some local people and you will find many have being made redundent or lost their positions somehow or another.

I was trying to say that I dont see how someone like myself who is working getting 20k a year has to cut more then someone on social who get the money made up thanks to the fuel allowance going up I wont be getting this made up for myself so will have to continue to go without?

I may have a job but Im going to worse off then someone on the social which shouldnt be the way it is whats the point in working you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

OisinT wrote: »
    Technical point: jobs are made redundant, not people.

This is a moot point.

People made redundant don't have the ability to create their own jobs.
    They can put forward a CV to an available position, if there is one.

• Advertisement

I was trying to say that I dont see how someone like myself who is working getting 20k a year has to cut more then someone on social who get the money made up thanks to the fuel allowance going up I wont be getting this made up for myself so will have to continue to go without?

How much will a person on 188-Euro per week make in a year? I don't think it is 20 thousand euros.

I think you are in a better position than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wompa1 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-calculator-2011/#advanced-calculator

Got it but I'm not sure this thing is accurate....

im down 4.1% which is near double the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

How much will a person on 188-Euro per week make in a year? I don't think it is 20 thousand euros.

I think you are in a better position than you think.

they dont have travel expenses for work, rent allowance, no tax been paid, medical card, fuel allowance hats just the start of some entitlements
    nor do I get 20k into my hand either? thats before tax!

Ah im not goina go on about it anymore whats done is done hopefully Il come out the other end still here!!

they dont have travel expenses for work, rent allowance, no tax been paid, medical card, fuel allowance hats just the start of some entitlements

nor do I get 20k into my hand either? thats before tax!

1) They don't have travel expenses for work, because they have NO work.

2) Rent allowance? Do we not have enough people living on the streets?

3) No tax being paid: A) They don't have a job to pay tax. B) If they worked previously and paid tax, they are basically claiming their own money back. You do realise plenty of people who were made redundant had worked for 15-20 years? Think of the tax they paid over the years.

4) What has gotten in to people?
    I think as a nation we are blaming and judging the wrong people.

Use your future votes wisely, look to the guys in power for answers, change and voice your concerns. (This comment is not solely directed at you).

This is a moot point.

People made redundant don't have the ability to create their own jobs.
    They can put forward a CV to an available position, if there is one.
    It's no moot point. It is impossible for "people" to be made redundant. Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A Property Snow Tax is set to be introduced today.

Any property with snow on it (land, roof, walls etc), will be taxed at 5cent per estimated gram.

It's expected to get a rather frosty reception from the opposition parties.

When it comes to seeking help with making hard choices .................

not a peep from ISME.

It's no moot point. It is impossible for "people" to be made redundant. Full stop.

Your correction was just an act of pedantry.

It didn't further anything else in this discussion.

All this from a Mod? Show some class and standards. Please.

At least I am being civil and polite.

Is this a bannable offense?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Aber nicht alles kann gut Deutsch sprechen.

Gleichfalls:p

Your correction was just an act of pedantry.

It didn't further anything else in this discussion.

All this from a Mod? Show some class and standards. Please.

At least I am being civil and polite.

Is this a bannable offense?
    As I said, it is a technical point. Nonetheless a mistake that is commonly made - and can be very important in the larger view.

I'm not a mod of this forum, so don't know what you're on about.

I'm being perfectly civil and polite. :confused: As for standards? :rolleyes:

As for bannable offences? I'm not even sure wtf you're on about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Pearse Doherty

I had to laugh listening to him on drivetime this evening, bemoaning the fact that this budget would mean less guards on the street. Short memory this man must have, considering not too long ago his ilk were doing their damnedest to reduce the number of guards themselves, albeit by different means.
    Well said. Wonder what does Mr Doherty have to say to the family of Garda Gerry McCabe who was murdered in Adare. If Mr Doherty is the alternative to the IMF I'll take the IMF thanks very much!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well said. Wonder what does Mr Doherty have to say to the family of Garda Gerry McCabe who was murdered in Adare. If Mr Doherty is the alternative to the IMF I'll take the IMF thanks very much!!!

This is more of it! If RUC, UDR and British army widows can move on from the past. Surely it shouldn't be to difficult for yourself to do so to, should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

stovelid wrote: »
    I find it strange that people actually seem more angry about funding a social welfare system than stumping the bill for a banking bailout that has pauperised the country for a generation or two.

As a taxpayer (incidentally also at high level), I fund many societal services I'm unlikely to avail of in my lifetime but that what taxes are for: a winder societal application and not a cherry-picked list of services that exclusively benefit my lifestyle.

Its really simple, very few people know elite bankers and directors or can even fathom the enormity of what they've been screwed for by the banking sector. They do know, however, their brother in laws girlfriends mother who is on welfare and is a lazy bitch and they can't stand her and they're paying for her etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

This is more of it! If RUC, UDR and British army widows can move on from the past. Surely it shouldn't be to difficult for yourself to do so to, should it?

I believe any rational intelligent person would agree with my sentiments but I am not getting in to a debate with you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd imagine he'd want to apologise just as much as the gardai and and their masters did to nicky kelly, osgar breathnach, peter mcbrearty and the family of john mccarthy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I believe any rational intelligent person would agree with my sentiments but I am not getting in to a debate with you!!!

Likewise, I also concur that any rational, intelligent being can see my logic. If the people who suffered the most can forgive and move on, then nobody else has a justification for moral grandstanding.

Christ! I only complimented a very good speech by Pearse Doherty and the woodwork begins to crack open.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Likewise, I also concur that any rational, intelligent being can see my logic. If the people who suffered the most can forgive and move on, then nobody else has a justification for moral grandstanding.

Christ! I only complimented a very good speech by Pearse Doherty and the woodwork begins to crack open.:rolleyes:
    You guys are so cute together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Vincent Brown what a legend

To Conor Lenihan ' Can you think for god sake, everyone can think. Will you just think.. '

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Pearse Doherty, a former member of Seanad Éireann, is just being interviewed by Vinny Browne on TV3 now. He's calling for the closing of the Seanad. He's got my support for that.

He's giving Fine Gael plenty of digs now. He's like all of Donegal's arms dumps in one man, with a bottomless pit of bullets for each and every party!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Dionysus wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty, a former member of Seanad Éireann, is just being interviewed by Vinny Browne on TV3 now. He's calling for the closing of the Seanad. He's got my support for that.

It's Fine Gael policy to call a referendum on the abolition of the Senate anyway

Mark200 wrote: »
    It's Fine Gael policy to call a referendum on the abolition of the Senate anyway

Yeah - Doherty accused them of robbing Sinn Féin policy on that issue - and I agree with them. However, nobody's answered the question: how will Fine Gael reward its politicians and supporters if they, assuming they get into government, cannot give them seats in the Seanad?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

OisinT, keep the English lesson for another thread. This is for Budget 2011 discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Dionysus wrote: »
    However, nobody's answered the question: how will Fine Gael reward its politicians and supporters if they, assuming they get into government, cannot give them seats in the Seanad?

Don't know if you're being serious, but I don't see why someone would answer a loaded question based on a false premise.

Doherty is lambasting Fine Gael policy, which appears to be to privatise semi-state companies and the like. Fine Gael's Reilly is justifying it. Browne cuts them off.

Need to know more about that topic.

• Advertisement

Mark200 wrote: »
    Don't know if you're being serious, but I don't see why someone would answer a loaded question based on a false premise.

It's not actually a false premise if the Seanad is abolished. Seanad Éireann has been used by successive taoisigh to appoint their supporters to (eleven of them after each election), with a further 43 seats on the vocational panel also used to reward political bigwigs in localities across Ireland. By advocating its abolition, Kenny is denying these politicians the possibility of advancing their careers (and being paid handsomely) and in the process bringing their networks to support Kenny in exchange. The party political logic of abolishing the Seanad doesn't add up - unless he's going to invent a new highly-paid talking shop to which he can appoint his political supporters.

Advertisement