Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Im actually sickened by this budget :mad:

Im paying out 60+ euro a month in Tax now and social welfare only gets cut by 8euro a week to get it back, and more, with the fuel allowance @ 40e a month!!! hows is this fair?!!

Ive work since I was 16 put myself through college for 4 yrs and am now worse off then people on the dole!!

This is crazy?? Whats the point in working my butt off in a job I hate to get less then someone can sit at home all day and do as they please lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

This is crazy?? Whats the point in working my butt off in a job I hate to get less then someone can sit at home all day and do as they please lovely

so you can feck off to germany with a good education and experience, just like i plan to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As a single working man can someone explain to me how the income tax falls for me!...seriously I don't get it from the speech today. They are doing away with the income levy but not really...they are calling it something different and increasing it...so how much is that?

Is the income tax 2006 levels or not...I'm really confused. The only thing I see for sure is the feckin petrol. I think they did a good job or making it difficult to figure out by releasing the 4 year plan first and then only mentioning some taxes but not going into great specifics today.

Any help out there guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Im paying out 60+ euro a month in Tax now and social welfare only gets cut by 8euro a week to get it back, and more, with the fuel allowance @ 40e a month!!! hows is this fair?!!

Ive work since I was 16 put myself through college for 4 yrs and am now worse off then people on the dole!!

If you're only paying €60 a month you're not doing too bad. The budget wasn't bad news for everybody, I'll actually pay €50 less per year thanks to the changes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

so you can feck off to germany with a good education and experience, just like i plan to :)
    Aber nicht alles kann gut Deutsch sprechen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Wompa1 wrote: »
    As a single working man can someone explain to me how the income tax falls for me!...seriously I don't get it from the speech today. They are doing away with the income levy but not really...they are calling it something different and increasing it...so how much is that?

Is the income tax 2006 levels or not...I'm really confused. The only thing I see for sure is the feckin petrol. I think they did a good job or making it difficult to figure out by releasing the 4 year plan first and then only mentioning some taxes but not going into great specifics today.

Any help out there guys?

Impossible to say unless you tell us how much you earn, if you have health insurance, pension contributions, children, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I've worked since i am 13, during the boom (5 years) I was working 65 hrs a week and paying €300/€350 a week in tax, €15 a week isn't alot, that if you do become unemployed at least you'll have the credits to get benefit

http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-calculator-2011/

This handy tool will hely people find out what the changes mean for them. Choose the advanced option for more tools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Any help out there guys?

Income Levy + Health Levy = Universal Social Charge

Income tax TAKE will be the equivalent of 2006 levels (apparently) not the amount each person pays

Lower rate band reduced by 10%, to roughly €13,500 and tax credit reduced by 10% (roughly €350 IIRC)

Check out tax calculator here:

http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-calculator-2011/#advanced-calculator

If you're only paying €60 a month you're not doing too bad. The budget wasn't bad news for everybody, I'll actually pay €50 less per year thanks to the changes :)

60 plus 60 is the bare min I will be down this my travel to work for the month thats half of my esb bill money I dont have it to spare??

oh by the way cheers for rubbing it in?

If 60 isnt alot then why not take that amount off welfare....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pearse Doherty

I had to laugh listening to him on drivetime this evening, bemoaning the fact that this budget would mean less guards on the street. Short memory this man must have, considering not too long ago his ilk were doing their damnedest to reduce the number of guards themselves, albeit by different means.

Move on please, don't dwell on the past. Ian Paisley moved on, so did Peter Robinson and Tony Blair. It was called the Peace Process and it's the only good legacy Tony Blair left behind him. The politics of vindictiveness left this country in the quagmire for long enough.

P.S. - Fianna Fail entered Dáil Eireann with guns in their coat pockets, guns that were never decommissioned I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-calculator-2011/

This handy tool will hely people find out what the changes mean for them. Choose the advanced option for more tools :)

Snap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I cant afford any of these cuts
    let the fat fcukers try and take blood from a stone :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Prime time on now. Feat. Mr. Lenihan and Noonan apparently.

OisinT wrote: »
    Aber nicht alles kann gut Deutsch sprechen.

do a night course like i am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fairplay to ya, the guy's not even a TD for two weeks and you can come to this learned conclusion....wow!

Hes been a Sinn Fein Representative for some years now.

Move on please, don't dwell on the past. Ian Paisley moved on, so did Peter Robinson and Tony Blair. It was called the Peace Process and it's the only good legacy Tony Blair left behind him. The politics of vindictiveness left this country in the quagmire for long enough.

P.S. - Fianna Fail entered Dáil Eireann with guns in their coat pockets, guns that were never decommissioned I might add.

thank you sir!

snyper wrote: »
    Hes been a Sinn Fein Representative for some years now.

Obviously, how else would he have been nominated to run for the By-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

less then someone can sit at home all day and do as they please lovely

You are missing a key point.

These people don't have a CHOICE.

I.e, Give your job to someone you know who is on social welfare?

Would you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

do a night course like i am:D
    Good on ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Got it but I'm not sure this thing is accurate....

60 plus 60 is the bare min I will be down this my travel to work for the month thats half of my esb bill money I dont have it to spare??

oh by the way cheers for rubbing it in?

If 60 isnt alot then why not take that amount off welfare....

Sorry if I don't appear sympathetic, but I pay 5 times the amount you do in tax and I don't consider that a lot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Liking the dimly lit darth vader vibe studio for the Lenihan interview on prime time, very fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Obviously, how else would he have been nominated to run for the By-election.

Then please dont assume i form my opinion on him based on 2 weeks in the dail

Grievous wrote: »
    You are missing a key point.

These people don't have a CHOICE.

I.e, Give your job to someone you know who is on social welfare?

Would you do it?

I dont have a choice but i have to get on with it?

I stated earlier there are jobs in call centres 200+ and they are employing ever second month, while jobs in my area accountancy there are a few

there are certainly people on the dole who have been on it their lives and have no intention of working

while some may not seem like alot to pay, I sure do when I cant pay for heating in my rented property? when social are getting money for things like this.

Not sure if some may be confused I will be paying an extra 60+ euro a month in tax I already pay 350 a month in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Does anybody else not have a feckin clue what is going on like I dont?? Economics confuses me at the best of times but my head is spinning with all of the conflicting commentary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Got it but I'm not sure this thing is accurate....

If it is accuarte I am €400 a month worse off :eek:

snyper wrote: »
    Then please dont assume i form my opinion on him based on 2 weeks in the dail

Who's assuming? Your post was pretty clear wasn't it? Was it the global role he played as a Donegal County Councillor that so damaged him, that he failed to deliver? Because he hasn't really had an opportunity to let the nation down, unlike most of the twits populating the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I dont have a choice but i have to get on with it?

I stated earlier there are jobs in call centres 200+ and they are employing ever second month, while jobs in my area accountancy there are a few

there are certainly people on the dole who have been on it their lives and have no intention of working

I fail to see your point, if you have one.

You have a job.

Lots of people don't have jobs; check the stats and talk to some local people and you will find many have being made redundent or lost their positions somehow or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

yermandan wrote: »
    Does anybody else not have a feckin clue what is going on like I dont?? Economics confuses me at the best of times but my head is spinning with all of the conflicting commentary...

AH anwer= we are all screwd

Serious answer - go to politics / Economics forum

Advertisement