Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mark200 wrote: »
    The point of what Oisin is suggesting is simple:

Dole money should only be used for the purpose of the dole.

What is the purpose of the dole? Why do we have a system where the Government takes money off working people, and gives it to those who need it? The purpose is to ensure that people don't go hungry. That they have a safety net. The point of a welfare card that Oisin describes is to ensure that the Government isn't taking money off other people so that useless crap can be bought with it, instead of what it was intended for.

You can moan on all you want about the rights of those receiving the 'benefits', but ultimately it's not their money that they're spending*.

* = Of course, I'm talking about the medium/long-term unemployed.
    Thanks - you put it very simply and perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

What is the purpose of the dole? Why do we have a system where the Government takes money off working people, and gives it to those who need it? The purpose is to ensure that people don't go hungry. That they have a safety net. The point of a welfare card that Oisin describes is to ensure that the Government isn't taking money off other people so that useless crap can be bought with it, instead of what it was intended for.

You can moan on all you want about the rights of those receiving the 'benefits', but ultimately it's not their money that they're spending*.

So why penalise those who are not medium/long-term unemployed because others milk the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

OisinT wrote: »
    I dislike the idea that people are "entitled" to the dole and that it should be given to them without question or restriction on how the money is spent.

PRSI contributions are paid into the Social Insurance Fund, it is from this fund that the dole is paid from. So if you have being paying into this fund, why would you not be "entitled" to get something back from it if you become unemployed?

Rubik. wrote: »
    PRSI contributions are paid into the Social Insurance Fund, it is from this fund that the dole is paid from. So if you have being paying into this fund, why would you not be "entitled" to get something back from it if you become unemployed?
    Ok, so then when you don't pay in or have taken more than you have paid in then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Thread has gone askew. The Budget happened today and screwed us all.

Petrol, Diesel, tax bands, reducing dole and carer's payments, took money from children yet no TD will take a pay cut.

• Advertisement

Ok, so then when you don't pay in or have taken more than you have paid in then what?

BOI ATM?

Nope they ain't giving nowt.

Kasabian wrote: »
    Thread has gone askew. The Budget happened today and screwed us all.

Petrol, Diesel, tax bands, reducing dole and carer's payments, took money from children yet no TD will take a pay cut.
    The point is, IMO, that this budget has barely hurt those on the dole and is really bashing self-employed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

that this budget has barely hurt those on the dole and is really bashing self-employed people.

we GET it. your pissed bruv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

You will eventually be employed again and will be paying into that fund again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't necessarily agree. As I said in a previous post, I'm just "spitballing" the idea.

I'm not sure it would work, but IMO something drastic has to happen to cut down on fraud and to stop people from using allowances they are given (i.e. child) for getting their hair and nails done and buying smokes.

If the dole is 190.

Person a likes to eat like a pig on foods that approved by your card system, doesnt smoke doesnt drink, buy my god, he eats 150 euros worth of food per week pays 30 for a room in a crappy house and 10 on utilities.

Person b is person a's twin brother - lives in the next room, same rent and same utility bill, but eats like a sparrow, 8 euro on a bag of rice and rummages the skips for thrown out meat and he has 102 euro left over fo his one single passion - smoking.

By your card system person a is eating like a pig waaay more than he needs and is still wasting money given to him by the state - so is person b, but because its on the approved card list its ok?

Look, my examples are being very extreme, but they are clear, the dole is plenty for some, and not enough for others, its just how one chooses to spend it - the state arent even able to spend their own money efficently - so trying to get them to make other people spend money in an efficent or "approved" manner aint gonna work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

But how do you structure it? What if someone on the dole needs a new toaster is that ok? Can they have 2 ply toilet roll? What if their fridge breaks can they save some of their money on the card to buy an approved replacement? Can they buy second hand off someone else (brand new is tough on the dole) - how do they get the money out if they can?

The point is, IMO, that this budget has barely hurt those on the dole and is really bashing self-employed people.

I get your point, but i think the biggest shameful move today was the reduction in child benefit and reducing carer's income while a sitting TD will still get 92K.

There was an oppurtuinity to totally change the child benefit allowance to make sure the most in need receive it. Also reducing carer's allowance is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

55 pages is far too much to read through so apologies if this has already been asked.

Whats the crack with job creation?? Have they done anything to get businesses starting up and people back to work? Or is it all just cuts, cuts, cuts with lots of tax increases as I suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jaysus, I might vote SF this time around.

Think I'll be joining you, Pearse Doherty is barely elected and he talks more sense than most of those dinosaurs in the Dáil. Hugely impressed by his speech as were a lot of people I think. The you see the old guard - Mary Coughlan the sap and her old bully tactics trying to shout Pearse down, the thug! Long may she and her 'ilk' rot in opposition.

I get your point, but i think the biggest shameful move today was the reduction in child benefit and reducing carer's income while a sitting TD will still get 92K.

There was an oppurtuinity to totally change the child benefit allowance to make sure the most in need receive it. Also reducing carer's allowance is disgusting.
    Agreed. I think our TDs and public officials should have been immediately reduced to UK level income with a further 20% reduction over the next 4 years.

Also, public sector wages should have been capped at €200,000 not €250,000. They're getting off fairly lightly in the taxes, so they could have taken another 50k hit IMO.

Think I'll be joining you, Pearse Doherty is barely elected and he talks more sense than most of those dinosaurs in the Dáil. Hugely impressed by his speech as were a lot of people I think. The you see the old guard - Mary Coughlan the sap and her old bully tactics trying to shout Pearse down, the thug! Long may she and her 'ilk' rot in opposition.
    Careful: Pearse Doherty ≠ All SF candidates.

I think we will see a major swing towards the left in politics in the future of this country.

That will be a judgement I'll make myself thanks.

That will be a judgement I'll make myself thanks.
    I would sure hope so, but from your post it seems you intended on joining another poster in voting SF based on Pearse Doherty.
    Think I'll be joining you, Pearse Doherty is barely elected and he talks more sense than most of those dinosaurs in the Dáil.

I think we will see a major swing towards the left in politics in the future of this country.

Left economically perhaps but I doubt we'll see a massive swing in social attitudes.

• Advertisement

So be it, if that what it takes for real change and to destroy the established cliques.

Left economically perhaps but I doubt we'll see a massive swing in social attitudes.
    I think there is already a large social shift to the left in this country.

It seems to be the old and uneducated that are hanging on to antiquated socially right views.

If this country went economically left and socially right tomorrow, I'd seriously consider leaving.

I would sure hope so, but from your post it seems you intended on joining another poster in voting SF based on Pearse Doherty.

Am I misinterpreting this as concern on your part? Apologies if I am.

I think there is already a large social shift to the left in this country.

It seems to be the old and uneducated that are hanging on to antiquated socially right views.

If this country went economically left and socially right tomorrow, I'd seriously consider leaving.

I don't know, if you go through other threads you'll see significant opposition to cannabis use and gay marriage for example to quote two major issues. Certainly we've made leaps and bounds in the last 20 years or so but we've a long way to go.

Economically left and socially right.....shudders.

He is.

Soundbytes 10/10

Substance 0/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I find it strange that people actually seem more angry about funding a social welfare system than stumping the bill for a banking bailout that has pauperised the country for a generation or two.

As a taxpayer (incidentally also at high level), I fund many societal services I'm unlikely to avail of in my lifetime but that what taxes are for: a winder societal application and not a cherry-picked list of services that exclusively benefit my lifestyle.

I can't comment on the amount of able-bodied people who have been on the dole all their lives and don't want work as I don't know the statistics but then again I doubt I've ever seen any here despite the years of scapegoating.

snyper wrote: »
    He is.

Soundbytes 10/10

Substance 0/10

Fairplay to ya, the guy's not even a TD for two weeks and you can come to this learned conclusion....wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Pearse Doherty

I had to laugh listening to him on drivetime this evening, bemoaning the fact that this budget would mean less guards on the street. Short memory this man must have, considering not too long ago his ilk were doing their damnedest to reduce the number of guards themselves, albeit by different means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

why do you think the pension wasnt cut? FF know alot of their votes come from older generations

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I find it strange that people actually seem more angry about funding a social welfare system than stumping the bill for a banking bailout that has pauperised the country for a generation or two.

The thread is about all things budget, and the cuts in the social welfare is the big headline although not unanticipated -hence the debate.

It doesnt negate what ppl feel be it correct or not - for the banks

Advertisement