Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OisinT wrote: »
    Single self employed people like me are getting raped :(

I should basically work less and make the same amount.

Yep:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9628/singlepersonselfemploye.png

They are just loading more tax and PRSI on the self employed while PAYE workers are paying more PRSI get us closer to European norms.

While a 5% cut on 25k is tough, the rate is very low compared to Northern Ireland.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

on 25 hours is -25 quid, on a full week its -39. dole is -8

min wage workers are probably on average taking 3-4 times the cut :mad: and have to be working for it too.

apologies i thought the dole was higher. im only on 20hours a week too so im thinking part time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

K-9 wrote: »
    Yep:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9628/singlepersonselfemploye.png

They are just loading more tax and PRSI on the self employed while PAYE workers are paying more PRSI get us closer to European norms.

While a 5% cut on 25k is tough, the rate is very low compared to Northern Ireland.
    I just cannot comprehend a reason that self-employed people are paying so much contribution towards social benefits which they are unable to receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

hmmm wrote: »
    Have they said how they intend to tax internet bookies? They do realise that Joe Bookies Inc of the Cayman Islands couldn't care less how much tax Ireland tries to levy on them? This will hurt Irish bookies and push punters towards those overseas, stupidity.

They can threaten sanctions against non compliant booked such as restricting Irish banks from dealing with them or other steps that'll just make life awkward for the bookies and theiir punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

dole has barley been touched :mad:

Phew!!!

Thank Christ Cowen has come to his senses...

Fianna Fail will be getting my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

johnn wrote: »
    F'n Hell only 8euro off the Dole?! I thought/was hoping they were going to halve the thing FFS. Sure they'll have to buy Foster's with their dole now instead of Heineken the poor feckers :rolleyes:

Tell me they at least mentioned bringing in that scheme were they must provide a public service to collect their dole like sweeping the streets/painting walls/picking up shit etc.

There'll be a load of smug fuckers on the dole tonight toasting another budget well done. Whilst honest workers like me pay the price, every single dole scrounger gets away scot free.....oh sorry i mean they lost 8 quid :cool:

I patiently await dole scroungers coming on here again asking me to meet them in person to fight them & telling me they hope I lose my job as they are "honest" like the rest of us and have fallen on hard times. They are hypocrites wishing misfortune on me & thugs who only know how to fight. These are the celtic tiger wankers who were earning 60,000 for mixing cement & haven't the brains to comprehend that's over so want free money. Then have the balls to say that the real heroes of this recession, us honest workers, BETTER HOPE their dole isn't cut or they will have NO CHOICE but to break into our houses and steal from us.

Really classy people these dole scroungers :rolleyes:

I patiently await dole scroungers coming on here again asking me to meet them in person to fight them & telling me they hope I lose my job as they are "honest" like the rest of us and have fallen on hard times. They are hypocrites wishing misfortune on me & thugs who only know how to fight. These are the celtic tiger wankers who were earning 60,000 for mixing cement & haven't the brains to comprehend that's over so want free money. Then saying the real heroes of this recession, us honest workers, BETTER HOPE their dole isn't cut or they will have NO CHOICE but to break into our houses and steal from us.

hear, hear.

This joke reduction in the dole is ridiculous. I'm now paying a VERY large chunk of my income in tax now and they still get their free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dole hardly being touched is a joke. At least I won't be supporting the freeloaders. Good luck to the rest of yee.

Thought FF finally might cop on and slash welfare, they baulked as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

F'n Hell only 8euro off the Dole?! I thought/was hoping they were going to halve the thing FFS. Sure they'll have to buy Foster's with their dole now instead of Heineken the poor feckers :rolleyes:

Tell me they at least mentioned bringing in that scheme were they must provide a public service to collect their dole like sweeping the streets/painting walls/picking up shit etc.

There'll be a load of smug fuckers on the dole tonight toasting another budget well done. Whilst honest workers like me pay the price, every single dole scrounger gets away scot free.....oh sorry i mean they lost 8 quid :cool:

Dole, like alot of things are being guadually changed over a four year period.

Not every person are the dole are scrongers. Yes there are the serial dole cheats who milk the system and know every trick and loop hole out there. These changes probabaly wont hurt them. Agreed.

Then there are those who worked hard, have a mortgage, bills, etc, and were unfortunate to be made redundant, they want to work, they still have the bills and mortgage to pay, to much of an decrease may have hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Phew!!!

Thank Christ Cowen has come to his senses...

Fianna Fail will be getting my vote.

:D;)

• Advertisement

Tell me they are going to at least means test the dole more stringently and try and catch all the chancers(which is probably most of them tbf) out. It's crazy that these dickheads are on 188euro per week now when people during the celtic tiger were only on 150euro on the dole.

Why are we being punished for being honest workers? these people who say "oh i worked for 30 year now ive fallen on hard times" are taking the piss out of us, they love having their lie-ons till midday each day, maybe even get up in time to catch the end of "This Morning" whilst we're out at the crack of dawn standing in the rain waiting for the bus to do an honest days work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I patiently await dole scroungers coming on here again asking me to meet them in person to fight them & telling me they hope I lose my job as they are "honest" like the rest of us and have fallen on hard times. They are hypocrites wishing misfortune on me & thugs who only know how to fight. These are the celtic tiger wankers who were earning 60,000 for mixing cement & haven't the brains to comprehend that's over so want free money. Then have the balls to say that the real heroes of this recession, us honest workers, BETTER HOPE their dole isn't cut or they will have NO CHOICE but to break into our houses and steal from us.

Yeah.. almost as classy as yourself I'd imagine

Tell me they are going to at least means test the dole more stringently and try and catch all the chancers(which is probably most of them tbf) out. It's crazy that these dickheads are on 188euro per week now when people during the celtic tiger were only on 150euro on the dole.

Why are we being punished for being honest workers? these people who say "oh i worked for 30 year now ive fallen on hard times" are taking the piss out of us, they love having their lie-ons till midday each day, maybe even get up in time to catch the end of "This Morning" whilst we're out at the crack of dawn standing in the rain waiting for the bus to do an honest days work. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what, can I have your job

Yeah.. almost as classy as yourself I'd imagine

Well I actually hate dishonest dole cheats...on the dole are you? gonna' miss that pocket change? lol

the likes of My Name is URL sticking up for dole cheats at a time like this makes me sick, you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I actually hate dishonest dole cheats...on the dole are you? gonna' miss that pocket change? lol

Nope, I'm not on the dole.. not yet anyway. But if I ever do lose my job I'll gleefully collect my payment knowing that it pisses people like you off so much.

fwiw, I think it should have been cut by about 20% I guess even that wouldn't be enough in your eyes. Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, but it seems to be causing you some grief

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

hear, hear.

This joke reduction in the dole is ridiculous. I'm now paying a VERY large chunk of my income in tax now and they still get their free money.

Free money my arse. I've been working since I legally could and have paid my PRSI non-stop since then up until I signed on this month. It's not fair that workers are being shafted but that's no reason to sh1t on the thousands of people who are genuinely on the dole because they have to be, not because it's a life choice.

Nope, I'm not on the dole.. not yet anyway. But if I ever do lose my job I'll gleefully collect my payment knowing that it pisses people like you off so much.

fwiw, I think it should have been cut by about 20% I guess even that wouldn't be enough in your eyes. Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, but it seems to be causing you some grief
    It pisses me off that I contribute largely to the dole and yet I can never receive it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It pisses me off that I contribute largely to the dole and yet I can never receive it. :mad:

That is madness in fairness.

That is not ordinary people's fault, so stop venting your anger and hatred towards them and get on to your TD about it and try get the system changed

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    That is not ordinary people's fault, so stop venting your anger and hatred towards them and get on to your TD about it and try get the system changed

What do you mean "ORDINARY" since when has it become ordinary to sit at home on your arse and receive free money.

I could accept them getting their money when they were going to be humiliated in order to get it by having to clean the streets for me & my colleagues and pick up shit etc. I bet you would have seen a load of people miraculously return to work if they had of brought that in. The one sensible idea this government came up with and they didn't even use it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I could accept them getting their money when they were going to be humiliated in order to get it by having to clean the streets for me & my colleagues and pick up shit etc.

Has anyone got an industrial-size rolleyes for this one?

What do you mean "ORDINARY" since when has it become ordinary to sit at home on your arse and receive free money.

I could accept them getting their money when they were going to be humiliated in order to get it by having to clean the streets for me & my colleagues and pick up shit etc. I bet you would have seen a load of people miraculously return to work if they had of brought that in. The one sensible idea this government came up with and they didn't even use it :rolleyes:

Are you trolling? Seriously? There is nobody that right wing. Either you are messing or you are not understanding how PRSI contributions work. There go you but for the grace of whatever deity you wanna subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well I actually hate dishonest dole cheats..

Because there are so many honest dole cheats....

Has anyone got an industrial-size rolleyes for this one?
    I think the example quoted is extreme, but I do believe that there needs to be a system of work contribution for the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

snyper wrote: »
    If you hear a figure been touted you take that figure and half it. Then take that figure and half it again, and that is the figure that will be actually used / announced.

The media, like to stur shyte, and the government will like to look like heros for not making the cuts as painful as expected.

The reality is, socail welfare has to be cut - expect 6 euro. They may grade it 12 euro off single unemployed with no dependants and less severe off people with dependants perhaps 3- 6 euro

You can expect that the monthly ceiling on healthcare expenses to be raised from 100 - 110 or 120 per month

Expect a reductiion or removal on certain allowances from the less vunderble.
    Less likely, but possible introductions are residentil property taxes and water charges. If the water charges come in it will not be based on useage its will be a flat rate tax and you can expect it to be about 100 - 130 per year. A tax on your home is been talked about alot in the media and not denied by the government but it is unlikely to be brought in this time, there are few reasons why it wont, the government arent saying that it wont come in because, a. they dont want to burn that bridge, and b. because when they dont introduce it - the budget will appear less severe and look more palatable for the other cuts and increases

Sometimes i arouse myself - i wasnt too far off the mark in October

Suprised my second point wasnt brought in, or the 50 cent per prescription increased, but close enough with the other three

Yeah your right, thanks for those cans you paid for me last week :P

I think the example quoted is extreme, but I do believe that there needs to be a system of work contribution for the dole.

There is. It's called pay related social insurance.

Millicent wrote: »
    Are you trolling? Seriously? There is nobody that right wing. Either you are messing or you are not understanding how PRSI contributions work. There go you but for the grace of whatever deity you wanna subscribe to.

They did come up with that plan for them to provide a "community service" e.g. pick up shit etc. in order to prove they are "willing to work" but the idea was never heard of again for some reason, beats me.

I don't mind Job seekers benefit which is PRSI contributions giving people who lost their Jobs one year MAX of dole cause anyone who really wants to work would find work within a year. What I have a problem with is Job seekers allowance which is what the scroungers have been on for years :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Millicent wrote: »
    There is. It's called pay related social insurance.
    No, some work must be done to receive the dole - community service, taking a class to upskill, cleaning graffiti, etc.

Advertisement