Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget day discussion thread. Your budget chat goes here.(Rules and links first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

oh....well in that case....ill just return to the dark corner from which i eminated from :(
    I was going to say 'This isn't AH' but it is, so I can drool if I want over him!! [Metaphorically speaking!!]

Oh and he told Miss Mary to 'close her mouth and listen' & was pulled up on it, so repeated it with 'Mary Coughlan should close her mouth and listen', or something to that effect. Perhaps I shouldn't have used quotes, as I'm not 100% that was word for word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Well said by Pearse, no waffle just straight talking logic. Considering the importance of this day to our little nation, the amount of empty seats in the house was a disgrace. Those bast@rds should be there until midnight if need be.

I agree. Do they have to sign out? If so, some journalist could surely highlight the times they left. Or maybe a FOI request by any of us could get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I was going to say 'This isn't AH' but it is, so I can drool if I want over him!! [Metaphorically speaking!!]

Oh and he told Miss Mary to 'close her mouth and listen' & was pulled up on it, so repeated it with 'Mary Coughlan should close her mouth and listen', or something to that effect. Perhaps I shouldn't have used quotes, as I'm not 100% that was word for word :D

yeah this thread has been so serious i thought it was the political category or something!

on the quote front, you got it pretty spot on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

irish-stew wrote: »
    He was warned a few times re his conduct and how he address individuals including may.

Cant quite remember what he said to her, but was quite blunt, he simply repaeted he self word for word only changing how he addressed her.

The house speaker seemed to allow him a bit of leeway based on his recent entry to the house following his election win.

Well my comment was based on conjuring with the idea of Biggins giving Pearse Doherty one..doubt he'd be given much leeway.
    Anyway, you're right regarding the whole 'Doherty's conduct' situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Dionysus wrote: »
    hehe. Some funny feckers on this thread.
    I hope you mean me haha :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

8 euro off the dole..lol

Should have been about 20 if we want to fix things in the long term. We'll be back again next year with another so-called "harshest budget in the history of the state" :rolleyes:

There probably will be more off next time, cuts are gradual as part of the 4 year plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

11.5% reduction in min wage

only 4.1% reduction in dole.

encouraging people to get back to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

11.5% of 8.65 is alot less than 4% of...whatever figure the dole is. aint it?
    im on minimum wage myself

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Minimum wage workers are exempt from the tax net now though.

Reduction in minimum wage could also open more job opportunities... it's all about competition.

The problem is, as long as we have the people around thinking they're entitled to loads of money for free from the state, nobody will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The really interesting stat is the low number actually earning the minimum wage. Like the inflated live register figures alot of lower wage earners hourly wage are probably rounded up to the nearest euro, so statisically, they are not on the minimum wage.

(if that makes sense)

• Advertisement

11.5% of 8.65 is alot less than 4% of...whatever figure the dole is. aint it?
    im on minimum wage myself

on 25 hours is -25 quid, on a full week its -39. dole is -8

min wage workers are probably on average taking 3-4 times the cut :mad: and have to be working for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Does anyone else not think pierce Doherty behaves like a big Fascist Dictator - everyone here seems to love him - Speeches like that are great - hitler used to do it all the time. Be careful at the next GE....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jaysus.. any excuse for a Godwin

Heavens forbid a politician displays any sort of passion in what they say!

:D

May as well get it out of the way

Heavens forbid a politician displays any sort of passion in what they say!

No, just an observation from his 43 minute tirade!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Have they said how they intend to tax internet bookies? They do realise that Joe Bookies Inc of the Cayman Islands couldn't care less how much tax Ireland tries to levy on them? This will hurt Irish bookies and push punters towards those overseas, stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OisinT wrote: »

The cuts for Married couples seem proportionate. Poor single lad on about 25k is going to see a 5% cut or so.

http://yfrog.com/1gsinglepersonp

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ardinn wrote: »
    No, just an observation from his 43 minute tirade!
    It was far better than Lenihans time of waffle of excuses, PR spin and bullschite!

I know which one I preferred.

K-9 wrote: »
    The cuts for Married couples seem proportionate. Poor single lad on about 25k is going to see a 5% cut or so.

Single self employed people like me are getting raped :(

I should basically work less and make the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

K-9 wrote: »

Married Couple, 1 Income, no children:
    http://img227.imageshack.us/f/married1income.png/

Married Couple, I Income, 2 Children:
    http://img508.imageshack.us/f/married1income2children.png/

Single Person:
    http://img52.imageshack.us/f/singleperson.png/

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Whoa. The motion was barely passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

F'n Hell only 8euro off the Dole?! I thought/was hoping they were going to halve the thing FFS. Sure they'll have to buy Foster's with their dole now instead of Heineken the poor feckers :rolleyes:

Tell me they at least mentioned bringing in that scheme were they must provide a public service to collect their dole like sweeping the streets/painting walls/picking up shit etc.

There'll be a load of smug fuckers on the dole tonight toasting another budget well done. Whilst honest workers like me pay the price, every single dole scrounger gets away scot free.....oh sorry i mean they lost 8 quid :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Does anyone else not think pierce Doherty behaves like a big Fascist Dictator - everyone here seems to love him - Speeches like that are great - hitler used to do it all the time. Be careful at the next GE....

You smoking crack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I wonder was Bertie Ahern there to listen to the state he has left the country in? Bet he wasn't.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I wonder was Bertie Ahern there to listen to the state he has left the country in? Bet he wasn't.
    I'm pretty sure he was.

flahavaj wrote: »
    He was there but he was mute and keeping his head down.
    As soon as Lenihan had finished, he (and a good few) scarpered.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    You smoking crack?

I was but its gone up 8%, cant afford it any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rodin wrote: »
    Presumably this budget means very little, as any incoming government in January will put their own in place fairly quickly

Probably not. Michael Noonan said on the 6 o'clock news that basically there was very little room for manoeuvre if they did get in. There won't be any radical changes to the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Biggins wrote: »
    He was there but he was mute and keeping his head down.

As well he should. I actually hate him and blame him for everything.

• Advertisement

I was but its gone up 8%, cant afford it any more :(
    Thats the increased transport fuel charges for you!
    Smuggling it in the back of a dodgy van isn't cheap ya know! :pac:

Advertisement