Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

amacachi wrote: »
    Fcuking freezing on the quays around half 8 this morning, never felt cold like it. My fingers were in proper pain within a minute of getting off the bus.

Damart gloves for the epic win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

vibe666 wrote: »
    can anyone beat -14 in Navan first thing this morning? :eek:

(even mentioned by Damien Farrelly on 2fm)

it was so cold that when i went out to de-ice the windscreen it was actually totally clear aside from one or two tiny flecks of ice!

how cold must it be for there to be so little humidity that your windscreen doesn't ice up???

yeah i live in rathkenny outside navan, it was -15 according to the car at 5.30 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

The train in Maynooth was a bit late this morning (no disrespect to Irish Rail; they've been doing a stonking job through the cold spell, and freezing points are not something they can control). I was therefore standing in -9C for about twenty minutes longer than expected. Even with multiple layers, drinking coffee, and moving about a bit, I was really, really cold.

Now, there were a few things against me here - the train line was funnelling the wind a bit, and I don't handle cold all that well when I've just woken up. But even so - it was enough to leave me somewhat stunned and groggy for half an hour after I got into the office. I don't think I've ever felt that kind of effect in this country before.

One of those zippo handwarmer things they're advertising may be in order... and then drop it down my shirt or something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice bit of precipation coming my way now ,I can see the clouds :)
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

gothwalk wrote: »
    I was therefore standing in -9C for about twenty minutes longer than expected. Even with multiple layers, drinking coffee, and moving about a bit, I was really, really cold.

Sorry for slight OT, but why didn't you wait inside the station building? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

yeah i live in rathkenny outside navan, it was -15 according to the car at 5.30 this morning

The home place is only a couple of mile from there so ouch to that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

The train in Maynooth was a bit late this morning (no disrespect to Irish Rail; they've been doing a stonking job through the cold spell, and freezing points are not something they can control). I was therefore standing in -9C for about twenty minutes longer than expected. Even with multiple layers, drinking coffee, and moving about a bit, I was really, really cold.

Now, there were a few things against me here - the train line was funnelling the wind a bit, and I don't handle cold all that well when I've just woken up. But even so - it was enough to leave me somewhat stunned and groggy for half an hour after I got into the office. I don't think I've ever felt that kind of effect in this country before.

One of those zippo handwarmer things they're advertising may be in order... and then drop it down my shirt or something. :)

You need one of these
    http://www.jmldirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=S5780&changecurrency=EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Winger_PL wrote: »
    Sorry for slight OT, but why didn't you wait inside the station building? :confused:

After the fact thought-out answer: Well, when I got there, I was expecting the train in a few minutes. By the time there was an announcement about it being late, the station building was jammed and there just wasn't room.

Real answer at the time: However, mostly I wasn't completely awake and the fact that I was that cold really wasn't sinking in until I started to warm up again afterwards. At which point I felt a bit stupid for not pushing into the building. :p

No harm done, but I'll be more aware of it for future mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

perspective - we can all afford a good 4x4 yeah:rolleyes:
    i bought a top of the range (when it was new) 1996 Pajero for £3k in the UK a couple of years ago. you'll probably definitely get a better 4WD for €2-3k now than you would for €15-20k, they're just not made now like they used to be. :)

I towed a stuck UPC van with no bother at all up a very much steeper hill than the ones in your pics last week in the worst of the weather and i've been through much worse in it since and you'd hardly even know it was there most of the time.

if this weather really is here to stay for the next few years like they're saying, a good 4WD or at the very least some good winter tyres would be a wise investment for anyone, particularly someone living out in the country where the snow ploughs and gritters might not be doing the rounds.

you can get heated hats & gloves and also heated insoles for your shoes as well, which would help keep the warmth in you. that and plenty of layers to trap the heat in your torso. you can always take all the extras off when you get to work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a low of -11.5c on the screen at Durrow last night. Following on from the -12.7c on the screen last week, it makes for a very cold spell indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Thaw ? What thaw :confused:

Still -5 in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

On the kilkenny weather website:

Site also mentioned a few days ago that there was 16cm in 82.

BTW i wasnt around in 82 either, but much of southern leinster more or less completely avoided the heavy snowfall.

I was living in south Kilkenny back in 1982 and the snow fall was immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

bcbe1175.jpg
    3fcc67bd.jpg
    still -4 outside Dundalk no sign of a thaw yet

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Its +3 in Drogheda according to my car, that's the warmest its been since the Thursday before last.

ksimpson wrote: »
    I would agree, nowhere near 1982. Probably the heaviet snowfall we've had in Dublin since then. I remember the morning after the big snow and literally seeing cars completely buried in drifts.

My father said at the time to make sure and take it in as it won't happen for another 30 years. We're nearly there!!

There were people who abandoned cars on main roads in lower Rathfarnham who had to wait two weeks before they could even find them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I was living in south Kilkenny back in 1982 and the snow fall was immense.

I'm going by the kilkenny met station figures (doesnt include drifts) which were 16cm i think ( it was somewhere between 15 and 18, cant remember and cant find the figures again) compared to a max depth this time of 20cm (also in kk city).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We had huge drifts in 1982, I remember it as a child, the road was blocked with enormous drifts of snow.
    The only time Kilkenny county council ever came out to remove snow from the road, I don't think we will ever see them out with a snow plough again, they don't care about rural people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I'm beginning to think that Farmville may not accurately reflect the hardships of rural life :confused::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

By equating people enjoying the cold and snow with them wanting hardships and miseries to continue you have just confessed that you are here to troll. Welcome to the ignore button. Way too much demagogy for my tastes anyways.

You called me a troll for caring about people and for saying we should be aware of others.
    So far four elderly people have died from the bad weather, the latest being an elderly person who seemed to have slipped on ice and froze to death in Galway.
    In the neighbouring county of Carlow we had a young enough person who died when his van skid on ice and hit a bridge, the poor man didn't know his van was hanging over the bridge and when he got out he fell to his death.
    Of course you aren't reading this as you have me on ignore.

I don't mind people reporting on the snow, reporting on the conditions in their area, I don't mind if people want more, just as long as we are all aware of the good and bad, I don't want to be preaching but being called a troll by someone because I cared was not acceptable.
    It made it a pleasure that you put me on your ignore list, the decent people here who like snow will read it and accept it for what it, just be aware of others who might need help and the dangers of this weather.
    Oh forgot you won't be reading this :pac:

.....and yes I am still fed up of the snow and ice, just have to :D and bare it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    You called me a troll for caring about people and for saying we should be aware of others.
    So far four elderly people have died from the bad weather, the latest being an elderly person who seemed to have slipped on ice and froze to death in Galway.
    In the neighbouring county of Carlow we had a young enough person who died when his van skid on ice and hit a bridge, the poor man didn't know his van was hanging over the bridge and when he got out he fell to his death.
    Of course you aren't reading this as you have me on ignore.

I don't mind people reporting on the snow, reporting on the conditions in their area, I don't mind if people want more, just as long as we are all aware of the good and bad, I don't want to be preaching but being called a troll by someone because I cared was not acceptable.
    It made it a pleasure that you put me on your ignore list, the decent people here who like snow will read it and accept it for what it, just be aware of others who might need help and the dangers of this weather.
    Oh forgot you won't be reading this :pac:

.....and yes I am still fed up of the snow and ice, just have to :D and bare it.

Very good point!

but the real reason i quoted you is so that the person who has you on ignore will see your post. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

After a low of -3.2c last night now its +1.5c but the wind from the NW is making it feel a lot colder. Slight thaw only in sunny spots. Such a clear day though, fantastic blue sky.

Webcam and live Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Sjy News are reporting a mild spell followed by another big freeze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I don't mind people reporting on the snow, reporting on the conditions in their area, I don't mind if people want more,

I'd just like to remind you that this is in fact a weather forum.

I'd also like to bring to your attention that we have a humanities forum, where, I suspect your posts would receive the sort of response that you wish.

Nature is cruel, winter kills, ironically, that's life, it's necessary too but that's for another thread in another forum too. ;)

Not wrote: »
    Thaw ? What thaw :confused:
    the thaw i lent you months ago, now give it back or i'll thlap you thilly you thneaky boy! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

big cloud back coming from the northwest just passed over looks like its raining south of donegal town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

You called me a troll for caring about people and for saying we should be aware of others

That's not true, you strongly implied that people who enjoyed this snowy weather didn't care about other people. Which is completely different to what you are now claiming.

And that I believe is why the other poster posted what they did in response to those ridiculous sentiments you expressed.

Are you seriously trying to claim that someone called you a troll for 'caring about people'? Nice spin, but completely specious.

Some people like snow for various reasons and others don't for various reasons - the difference is I rarely see the people who like the snow complaining about those who don't like it not caring about people when the thaw comes and floods their land, etc.

gbee wrote: »
    I'd just like to remind you that this is in fact a weather forum.

I'd also like to bring to your attention that we have a humanities forum, where, I suspect your posts would receive the sort of response that you wish.

Nature is cruel, winter kills, ironically, that's life, it's necessary too but that's for another thread in another forum too. ;)

And is hardship caused by the weather not weather related ??:confused:

Maybe to have some clarity of purpose for certain contributors to the forum we should change the name of it from the weather forum to the 'Snow worshippers only and everyone else f$ck off' forum :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Not wrote: »
    Maybe to have some clarity of purpose for certain contributors to the forum we should change the name of it from the weather forum to the 'Snow worshippers only and everyone else f$ck off' forum :rolleyes:

As far as I can see everyone whether they like snow or not are welcome on this forum.

But then you get the imbeciles that criticise people for adverse weather as if it is their fault for being interested in it or enjoying it.

Of course it is legitimate for someone who doesn't like the snow to come here, but they shouldn't blame others or imply they don't care about others - that is ridiculous and beyond contempt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement