Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Despite this cold period not even surpassing 1987 in terms of snow depths in Bray, I think its safe to say it has surpassed 1982 for most in Leinster.
    With a reboot/reload seeming increasingly likely after the imminent partial thaw, do or can the experts say whether they think this Winter could rival the most famous Winters of all, ie. 1947 and 1963??

As for streamers tonight. If they do form and Bray ends up in a gap or in the IOM shadow again, I swear to God I am going to go postal. I'm a spoilt child like in that I don't mind not getting it as long as 5 minutes up or down the road doesn't get it either. However when Greystones on the other side of Bray head or carrickmines say 3 minutes up the m50 gets snow measured in feet and Bray only gets accumulations of 3-4 inches with no significant snow since Sunday November 29th(yes, you heard that right)...well It tests my patience to the absolute limit.

Thanking you Sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    I would interpret the last one (17 December) as glaciers generally advancing from all mountainous areas into the surrounding lowlands, sea levels dropping hundreds of feet and a re-emergence of the landbridge between Ireland, Britain and continental Europe............

It does look rather bracing over Scandinavia though doesn't it!

I wonder if there was a gfs during the last Ice age would it show charts like that?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

bobby14 wrote: »
    whereabouts in letterkenny? none where i am

Glencar

It was only a light shower but theres more on the way according to raintoday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Supercell wrote: »
    Lol, good job, that is what they show!

Yes, seeing deep blue being outdone on a chart.......Brrrrrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    I wonder if there was a gfs during the last Ice age would it show charts like that?

I was always wondering what the charts would have been like during the last ice age. Probably similar to these. Irelands location in the Atlantic would have given us enough precip to sustain the ice caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A relatively mild 1.6c here in Waterford City, had some rain/sleet earlier but thats finished now. I expect temps to start dropping soon.

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Calibos wrote: »
    No, You look at them again :D

Despite this cold period not even surpassing 1987 in terms of snow depths in Bray, I think its safe to say it has surpassed 1982 for most in Leinster.
    With a reboot/reload seeming increasingly likely after the imminent partial thaw, do or can the experts say whether they think this Winter could rival the most famous Winters of all, ie. 1947 and 1963??

Sorry I completely disagree - there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that the snow depth over the last week has surpassed 1982 for Leinster. I have seen many photos from my area from 1982 and :eek: it was shocking snow - the drifts were up to 1st floor height on houses and not even tractors could get through the snow on our road. Even excluding the excessive drifting that took place the snow was measured in many feet. (I know that some areas saw over a foot over the last week but it still doesn't come close) In Dublin city the snow was 2.5 feet in depth in 82 and there were 5-6 foot drifts.

However, 1982 was only remarkable for pure snow depth, my understanding was that it wasn't actually that cold and this past week might have been a lot colder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

However, 1982 was only remarkable for pure snow depth, my understanding was that it wasn't actually that cold and this past week might have been a lot colder?

1982 was extremely cold in the week following the snow. Met Eireann give the lowest observed grass minimum temperature as -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982.

However the rest of the winter was pretty mild after this week.

from a blog on the net http://thethirstygargoyle.blogspot.com/2008/01/big-snow-of-82.html

2184998480_081d23de00_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Can I ask? What sort of temps do the colours on the chart for the 17th represent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

rc28 wrote: »
    Sorry I completely disagree - there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that the snow depth over the last week has surpassed 1982 for Leinster. I have seen many photos from my area from 1982 and :eek: it was shocking snow - the drifts were up to 1st floor height on houses and not even tractors could get through the snow on our road. Even excluding the excessive drifting that took place the snow was measured in many feet. (I know that some areas saw over a foot over the last week but it still doesn't come close) In Dublin city the snow was 2.5 feet in depth in 82 and there were 5-6 foot drifts.

Maybe this was the case in the pale, but for wexford, carlow and kilkenny at least, and maybe more this far surpasses that, in terms of temp and snow depth. Kilkenny city has more snow depth than ever recorded ( station wasn't running in 47).

Theres more to leinster than dublin, meath and kildare!!!

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    Can I ask? What sort of temps do the colours on the chart for the 17th represent?

Think of the liffey freezing over and people driving cars up and down it . . :P

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Maybe this was the case in the pale, but for wexford, carlow and kilkenny at least, and maybe more this far surpasses that, in terms of temp and snow depth. Kilkenny city has more snow depth than ever recorded ( station wasn't running in 47).

From what I've heard seeing as I wasn't around this cold spell is nothing close in terms of snow depth to 1982. In general around the county there hasn't really been more than a foot or so compared to multiple feet in 1982. I think 1982 did surpass this current spell for all of Leinster to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Absolutely. Dublin, Wicklow especially had drifts of over 20 feet in 1982 and even in the city centre/Drumcondra where I grew up the drifts were up to eight feet deep and freezing cold for 10 days. No comparison with this weather although this period has been longer. South-Eastern and Southern counties very rarely get much snow. Kilkeeny gets colf but rarely sees much snowfall. This is a non event for Dublin in terms of the massive snowfall back then.

Mmcd wrote: »
    From what I've heard seeing as I wasn't around this cold spell is nothing close in terms of snow depth to 1982. In general around the county there hasn't really been more than a foot or so compared to multiple feet in 1982. I think 1982 did surpass this current spell for all of Leinster to be honest.

On the kilkenny weather website:
    News Update: 6 inches of fresh snow fell over night in Kilkenny City. This brought the total level snow depth at 9am on Dec 7th, up to 20cm (almost 8 inches). This is another record for the city. The previous greatest depth was on the 27th Feb. 1962 (18cm). Of course the Met Station was not in operation during the great snow of 1947. A new photo gallery is now available here:

Site also mentioned a few days ago that there was 16cm in 82.

BTW i wasnt around in 82 either, but much of southern leinster more or less completely avoided the heavy snowfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Didn't the 1982 snow happen in Jan/Feb this is the first time we've had snow like this at this time of the year since 62 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

if der is a return to da cold spell will der be significant snowfall?? because im from cork and havent got a drop here lyk :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Roof of van = -13c, inside of van = -8c, measured close to sea level in town.:eek:

if der is a return to da cold spell will der be significant snowfall?? because im from cork and havent got a drop here lyk :mad:

No one will really no until the cold spell arrives at least.

On another note, i see you're new to boards. Welcome, but you should note that ''txt spk'' generally isn't welcomed here!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I reckon Lenihan put in a snow tax in the budget somewhere and the snow decided to feck off elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Nowhere near 1982 in Terenure anyway. 1982 brought a depth of 3 feet of snow in Terenure (that's first hand, I remember measuring it). The nearest we have got to that this year is a depth of 11 and a half inches last Thursday evening. So picture three times more snow in 1982. Mind you, this is the deepest since 1982 that I remember.

Had always wanted to see a 1982 event again, but last Thursdays foot has kind of reminded me I'm not a child anymore and there are practicalities I have to deal with today that I didn't have to then. So 1982, yea it was great fun then, but at this stage I just want it to stay in my memory - I dont want it back ! Cos if it comes back all I'll be doing is shovelling the stuff - no snowmen, snow tunnelling, snowball fights, sleding, etc, - just shovelling:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Can we speak english? Surely to god it's quicker and easier to type propely than to convert normal words to that utter rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tjbrosnan

I lived in Montreal for a few years and just returned a few months ago so am quite enjoying the current cold spell :D Looking at the current situation in eastern Canada especially southern ontario puts things in perspective though.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on21

Montreal itself is having to deal with its first major dump of the year which will total around 40cm. If you want to see how a city which is used to dealing with proper snow storms cleans it up you will find this interesting

http://chicagomontreal.blogspot.com/2006/01/snow-removal-in-montreal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

I would hope not for you sake mate, the last thing you need is school closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OwenC you were banned, stop opening new accounts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

ro_chez wrote: »
    I would hope not for you sake mate, the last thing you need is school closed!

Give the lad a break lyk,he's from cork lyk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Light snow shower in Castlebar, has been the first snow shower since November 26th (night of the Late Late Toy Show), hard to believe with the amount some areas have got since then...Its just a light dusting but will add a bit of grip to the ice that we've had since the last snow..Small showers coming in from the North Mayo coast now...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Ok snow must defo be over for a bit...the conversation has turned to 1982....again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I would agree, nowhere near 1982. Probably the heaviet snowfall we've had in Dublin since then. I remember the morning after the big snow and literally seeing cars completely buried in drifts.

My father said at the time to make sure and take it in as it won't happen for another 30 years. We're nearly there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the Guinness white christmas advert gets me every time:D the ever eternal optimist is hoping for a white christmas. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement