Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Did you also notice how foolproof their "protective barrier" around the lake is?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is there any end to this snow/ice in sight at all people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I walked across the UCD lake on more than one occasion, back in the day when weather was weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Paully D wrote: »
    Is there any end to this snow/ice in sight at all people?
    The experts around here are saying that there will be a thaw from Thursday to Sunday, after that it looks likely we will return to colder weather again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hovering between -7c and -8c due to fog... might go lower if the fog clears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Past two days have seen snowfalls of 75-150 cms in streamers coming off Lake Huron (snow squalls would be the more common term used) into the region around London, Ontario, which is a city of about a quarter million people.

I've seen some pictures today on our news and the 150 cms looks realistic, there is level snow about up to the tops of cars in Lucan which in this case is just north of London (this is what happens when you mix up geography, I guess).

I've seen this once or twice when I used to live in the "snow belt" of Ontario, the most snow I've seen level is about six feet but drifts of 20-30 feet after the wind got busy with that. Some places get snowed in for days or even weeks at a time in extreme conditions, despite much more snow removal equipment than you'd have in Ireland or the U.K. And of course it gets a lot colder after a snowstorm there, can drop to -25 or -30 C on a clear night after lake effect snow. Only about -15 C in this case, so about the same as some places in Ireland, but even more snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Past two days have seen snowfalls of 75-150 cms in streamers coming off Lake Huron (snow squalls would be the more common term used) into the region around London, Ontario, which is a city of about a quarter million people.

I've seen some pictures today on our news and the 150 cms looks realistic, there is level snow about up to the tops of cars in Lucan which in this case is just north of London (this is what happens when you mix up geography, I guess).

I've seen this once or twice when I used to live in the "snow belt" of Ontario, the most snow I've seen level is about six feet but drifts of 20-30 feet after the wind got busy with that. Some places get snowed in for days or even weeks at a time in extreme conditions, despite much more snow removal equipment than you'd have in Ireland or the U.K. And of course it gets a lot colder after a snowstorm there, can drop to -25 or -30 C on a clear night after lake effect snow. Only about -15 C in this case, so about the same as some places in Ireland, but even more snow.

20 to 30 feet - now that's what I call a decent sprinkling of snow M.T.! :eek:

When will it get here? I have my shovel at the ready to dig my way out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wow !! No posts since 2:48am. Things must be getting back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

woke up to -1c at 7am, temps now on the rise and everything is dripping. 3.2c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

-2 this morning and light drizzle

road surface through to tarmac along significant stretches (well tarmac covered in ice felt slippy as i tanked down it at warp speed - not really, joke)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah was down town and actually stood on tarmac for the first time in a week... weird feeling !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

In our office here in Carlow it was -10.8C this morning. Picture here: carlowtemp.jpg

It now reads -8.1C and the fog has somewhat cleared and I'm seeing blue sky for the first time in I don't know how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi... it's -6.8 here in Cavan at the moment and was much lower overnight but my station went dead so missed the max low (idea for santa, new station).

I see cloud building from the NW at the moment, is that likely to fall as rain or snow??

Also I see in the long range there is snow for Thurs/Sat next week, any ideas on how much we might get??
    weatherod.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sounds like a proper country, not like this stupid bloody rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Met.ie are showing that at 9am, Belmullet registered 8° and Oak Park at -10°

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I was only saying to a friend that id love to get a picture of the lake in this weather!,

Is it completly frozen over?

not completly but fairly bad it was worse in Jan/feb probably adding to problems with dublin water supplies it was -3 at 9am which is much warmer than it has been -8.5 yesterday at 9 am. Not much of a thaw yet. Hope forecast for next week is wrong and cold not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

snubbleste wrote: »
    Met.ie are showing that at 9am, Belmullet registered 8° and Oak Park at -10°
    irelandsweather.com shows Finner camp, Co Donegal at +7 yet Castlederg Co Tyrone about 50 miles away -7. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Maybe it's time to close this thread given it's outdated, and open a new one for the temporary milder spell followed by the return of the cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Does a return to cold next week mean snow or could it just be a return to very low temperatures?

How is it looking, I know it is someway out but are there any early (rough) indications?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

there is talk of very bad weather Christmas week is this true people sayin 6 inch of snow and temps as low as minus 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    there is talk of very bad weather Christmas week is this true people sayin 6 inch of snow and temps as low as minus 20

"Tidings of comfort and joy" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Maybe, however we don't usually get hit with the extremes. If it says -20º we can expect it to be very cold for sure, we might get -5º as example. Christmas week is ten days out and prediction usually only becomes 'accurate' three days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Brian Gaze, of weatheroutlook, who along with M.T and positive weather solutions, predicted a cold and snowy December, has said he expects it to stay cold till after Christmas, but that there would be a breakdown, at least temporarily, close to the new year. There could of course be a breakdown before then, because to sustain 9/10 days of cold twice in one month would be utterly freakish. It would be a real kick in the solar plexes if it turns mild on Christmas day, or before it, but unfortunately that is a real possibility. The dreaded atlantic doesn't even need to have that much energy to throw a spanner in the works:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Whatever else lies ahead this has been a phenomenal cold spell not even taking into account how early in the season it occured. Snow lying at sea level in Waterford for the 13th consecutive day is a very usual occurance indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

white christmas. the holy grail :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thawing, thank **** :D

I gotta go to Dublin at least twice next week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=themorningshow&tv3_preview=&video=30180

Go to around 21 mins of the morning show, and you can see photos of the cold spell, some from one of our own posters.
    Also talks about a meteor shower on monady night and a eclipse on the full moon this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

greendom wrote: »
    "Tidings of comfort and joy" ;)

Unitl you realise you have no xmas dinner as butchers cant get turkey or hams in!!

Also cant go out on the beer as no taxis running!!

Comfort of Joy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

The thaw is officially on here in Dublin 15 and I'm a happy bunny. They are actually starting to clear the paths/roads/car parks properly in and around Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭briany

9 degrees in Belmullet.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

magnum-pi-hawaiian-shirt.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement