Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The happy thaw thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Sad thing about all the thaw excitement is the cold stuff is coming back after a week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

dsmythy wrote: »
    Sad thing about all the thaw excitement is the cold stuff is coming back after a week :(

fresh snow is great! It's the ice and slush that i don't like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It actually felt warm this morning. Had to leave the hat and gloves at home and walked with my coat opened, like summer again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A nice thaw on but it will take a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Terrible in Dublin where the ice is melting, just a film of water on smooth ice. Never been on an ice rink but can't imagine it being more slippery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Thawing in Kilcullen. Keep hearing large rumbles and creaks from the roof, but no avalanche yet...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

The paths are lethal around my way, I could barely walk on them. Had to walk on the road for a little bit. Even trying to stand still on the path I was slowly sliding off! I was also immensely worried about every old person I saw :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

The paths are lethal around my way, I could barely walk on them. Had to walk on the road for a little bit. Even trying to stand still on the path I was slowly sliding off! I was also immensely worried about every old person I saw :-/

I'm sick of the state of footpaths I walk (shuffle) on the paths then give up and its the road for the rest of the journey.
    I cant wait till the ice is gone so I can walk properly I'm a fast walker and
    to walk like a eejit is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

WooHoo,
    My water is back.
    Pipe frozen since last thursday (2nd Dec)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

amacachi wrote: »
    Terrible in Dublin where the ice is melting, just a film of water on smooth ice. Never been on an ice rink but can't imagine it being more slippery.

Even Torvill and Dean would have had trouble on my road last night.:D

• Advertisement

About 2 inches of ice on my road, hope it goes in time before the freeze returns.

Thank God there is a good thaw on but still a long way to go, I was looking at some drifts of snow, the largest drift that I have seen is down to about three feet but contains a good bit of snow which I doubt will be gone before the next cold event.

I have one pipe outside that still hasn't defrosted itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Good thaw here too, although the mains water is a lovely shade of brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Darwin wrote: »
    Good thaw here too, although the mains water is a lovely shade of brown.

If it's brown drink it down, if it's black send it back.

Don't actually drink it :pac:

Nearly all the snow is gone, water for cattle is back to within 10 metres of the shed, pipe is still frozen for the last bit. :( Tomorrow hopefully things will be properly back to normal!!! And that pipe might be getting some extra insulation . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thaw is slow enough here in Kilkenny. Still bits of ice on the M9 motorway. It was lethal in the overtaking lane from Castledermot onwards to Kilcullen until just this evening when they finally cleared it. But there are still bits and ice of ice so be very careful especially in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There was a really big thaw here today, everything was still white last night but its nearly all gone already. Still snow in the garden and anywhere it was deep but its all gone on the road and the street around the house. Footpaths are still terrible though, hopefully it all goes tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i went out today with a straight edged shovel and broke up some ice on the drive. still way too much though. our gutter was leaking so much, i put a bucket down to collect the water and it'd filled up to the top in just 2 hours!
    i had hoped to get rid of all this ice before the next freeze... but i don't think it will happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Snow is completely gone here. Normal service has resumed, except for my bloody water which hasn't come back yet, it's gone since last Friday :(

No amount of staring at the kitchen tap has helped!

ALL GONE.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now for some more fresh snow . . . .:P

:pac:

A lot of snow has thawed but there is still enough around to build snowmen, igloos or gave a snowball fight.
    Not enough for sleighs...still a lot of thick ice around including on the roads.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    A lot of snow has thawed but there is still enough around to build snowmen, igloos or gave a snowball fight.
    Not enough for sleighs...still a lot of thick ice around including on the roads.
    The height makes a big difference for you, theres only a small bit in sheltered areas here and the snowmen left!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm about 50 meters from the sea and about 10m above sea level and there's still 2 inches on the grass and about a centimetre of sheet ice on every untreated bit of road and path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Still 100% snow cover here, not even a blade of grass showing yet, not even tracks in the road yet. How is it all gone in kilkenny. All the fields are still pristine white here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I have my washing machine back working. All is right in my world. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Think the thaw will be short lived

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Snow completely gone here, I've seen grass today for the first time in about two weeks :pac:

Hopefully the ice clears soon because I've got to make long trips all next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Roads are slushy now, but with ice underneath - still dangerous up here! Hope its gone by Monday cos I gotta drive to work:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

gally74 wrote: »
    Think the thaw will be short lived

Yeah, after reading M.T. Cranium's latest analysis on the Winter 2010/11 Outlook thread, I think this thread isn't going to remain 'happy' for too long. Still it is better to be forewarned amd prepared:
    Looking at the 18z GFS run, the signal continues to intensify for a very strong arctic outbreak starting around Thursday on this run ... basically what happens is that the high which gave the thaw and is now slowly chilling overhead is stretched out and destroyed by sudden events to the north where the Greenland high captures the height anomaly from the eastern Atlantic, and a huge polar hurricane (can't describe it as anything less) forms near Svalbard and drops rapidly south. This will have to be watched because as impressive as the current maps appear, if this feature were to hold together somewhat longer it would engulf Britain and Ireland in a very strong northerly of sub-freezing temperatures which is almost what the maps show now ... the only difference being that the northerly is rather strong instead of very strong.

I can't stress strongly enough that this will be a major winter weather onslaught and not just a drop in temperatures with a few local flurries.

This is like turning the eastern Atlantic into the Great Lakes, almost, when you have this much cold air rushing south this fast, it overcomes the normal tendencies of the Atlantic to modify air masses and turn streamers to mush. This setup could give blizzard like conditions even with winds somewhat west of due north, in many parts of Ireland. And we aren't that confident that the setup is perfectly modelled yet, what's probably equally likely at this point is that the polar low will drop into the North Sea and pull Siberian air across into the N-NE flow on following days. There is also a lot of super-cold air waiting to head west from central to northwest Russia and around Novaya Zemlya.

When this polar hurricane develops, winds are going to be 50-70 knots around Jan Mayen with temperatures of -12 C ... the ice margin will probably shift south in this period to reach limits not seen in recent years, and the Baltic Sea is rapidly freezing and spilling out 0-2 C water into the North Sea. All of these factors are building blocks towards what may become an epochal cold spell for Ireland and Britain in the next 20-30 day interval. :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not a happy thaw here - more like lethal black ice:(

• Advertisement

The roads are bad today on the hills, I tried to venture out with the car but after the ice and black ice decided it wanted to keep me at home or in a dyke if I continued, I decided to return home.

Please come back thaw, we miss you, the bloody ice is making it feel one lives in an open prison.

Advertisement