Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The happy thaw thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, some rural areas lower down in the east and south east have so much snow now that i think there won't be a complete thaw, unless the milder spell lasts longer than expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

lashing rain in shankill now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lads make the most of this weekend (Thaw-wise). Models showing plenty more cold on the horizon (Pre-Christmas). Blitz the shopping and stock up the freezer. Better be safe than sorry. All assuming we have any money in our pockets after this evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Lads make the most of this weekend (Thaw-wise). Models showing plenty more cold on the horizon (Pre-Christmas). Blitz the shopping and stock up the freezer. Better be safe than sorry. All assuming we have any money in our pockets after this evening :(

Have to agree with Jerry, round 2 could be on the way by the end of next week, the charts will change very hard to pin down when its going to happen but the building blocks are falling into place im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jaysus,i may as well mothball the motorbike for the winter at this rate!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I have about 100,000 trees to plant on a number of sites but the earth is like granite. Bring on the thaw!!!

Although Im bracing myself for a big fall today.

Same here. although all the mounding is done the trees are just sitting in bags waiting. Luckily I got most sites done before the freeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I fear the upcoming thaw won't last long enough.

I know last winter some of the thicker snow round here took near two weeks to thaw when it was all gone lower down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Went out for a walk around 2pm in Blanch. There was a tiny weeny bit of heat from the sun which melted a very small bit of path ice for example in that i was able to break up some with my shoe unlike before. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

thaw? what thaw?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

jim_royle_0810.jpg

Thaw My Arse!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

The Happy Thaw thread? Ok........

john-thaw-1.jpg

The Thaw is dead. Long live the Thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

- .... . .... .- .--. .--. -.-- - .... .- .-- - .... .-. . .- -..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I'd thay thith ith the only thawing we're going to thee.

ice+saw+closeup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The snow thawed off the roof only to freeze on contact with the pavement around the house. So now have sheet ice. The dog nearly broke his neck when he came running to the back door and cracked his head off the door jamb in a skid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

sooner the better the ice melts, no snow left here just stupid ice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I need this thaw to happen soon pls. I've just driven back to Ashbourne from Trim and between fog and snow and black ice it was one of the scariest journeys I've ever undertaken.... And I have to do it again Friday night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Well even if there is a thaw this weekend, i heard there is more snow forecasted for next week up until xmas:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Rain forecast tomorrow, thank fcuk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like the 'thaw' might last out to next friday now, models still promising a snapette of the could after that but christmas day is showing warmer after that again :)

Its just after 3pm and no thaw yet and probably won't be today, temp at 3C. Looks like we have to wait till tomorow for the ice to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i like snow and all, but i don't like this ice.......(my skates are in canada :()
    it may be 3C out but our drive is still covered in thick slippy ice!
    melt damn you, melt!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

I really need to get myself a shovel or something. Chipping away at this ice with the poker from the fireplace just isn't cutting it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

problem now is theres puddles of water from melted ice sitting in the frozen ice which will freeze over again tonight-treacherous conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It was incredibly difficult to walk home this evening. If its that bad tomorrow, will either get a taxi or lift into work tomorrow, as its next to impossible to walk out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

wes wrote: »
    It was incredibly difficult to walk home this evening. If its that bad tomorrow, will either get a taxi of lift into work tomorrow, as its next to impossible to walk out there.

Same here, it was near impossible to walk this evening. It was quite amusing with everyone sliding all over the place but it took me twice as long as usual to walk home. Probably need to get a taxi in the morning

Quite a considerable thaw here today, still a couple of inches of snow everywhere but I can see the majority of it being gone by the weekend at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I really want this thaw to happen now. We haven't had water since the 1st December!!! Filling and carrying buckets to flush the toilet and having to go to a neighbours house to fill bottles of water. I'm just sick of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

happy happy thaw thaw here 5 degrees and can see lanes of tarmac drive pretty clear as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Very slight thaw on the grass here at home, almost nothing in kk city. Road is a bit better as thaw combined with traffic cleared some of the snow.

8.5C reading in the car, snow practically gone, just lumps of wet ice left here. Think the light rain shower is helping now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Slippy as fook out there though. I'd nearly want a slight dusting of snow to put a bit of grip onto the top of it.

Sorry - forgot it was the thaw thread :P

Advertisement