Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The happy thaw thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

DDigital wrote: »
    But Ken, they weren't necessarily useless posts. Some of us were just trying to guide you guys down from the obvious high by quoting the social reality. Think of us as drug counselors.:D

Shouldn't we be going cold turkey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

irish1967 wrote: »
    Shouldn't we be going cold turkey. :)

No, you should be out defrosting water pipes, it will get you over it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Water fine. Me fecking gas is frozen !! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thaw well and truly on hold here,temp hasn't risen above -3c all morning.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Cleavage1970

I went to move the car away from the house in case some ice/snow fell off the roof of house and damaged car only to find 'steering fault' come up on dash - left it run for a bit and turned engine off - started it back up again and fine - fecking frost/ice froze the steering!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We miss you thaw, please come back, there are ice queens on this site but we know what happened to the ice queen in Narnia :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Has thawed very little here, I'm a snow lover but having snow on the roads for over a week turns me into a snow hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think we should ask Aslan for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

No thaw today here in Dublin . Temperature has not risen above - 1 all day in Dublin City centre. I believe it is up to 6 and 7 degress in the West, South West and parts of the North West od the country though. We only had a very sligh tthaw yesterday. Tons od snow around still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Bloody thaw has stopped and roads are a nightmare. horrible fog and temp hasnt risen above 0 all day . .:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

**** all sign of a thaw around here outside of the sunlight. Local amateur weather station is down so can't be sure of the temperature unfortunately.

Most likely it'll thaw a little then freeze smooth and make me late for college again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Have to agree: Dundalk is still gripped with snow on footpaths and fields, and half the town's main roads have black ice (ramparts and castletown/ecco rd especially bad).
    My thermo is showing -0.6...but the car was showing about 1-2C earlier (about 2pm).
    Not a cloud in the sky and anything that has thawed slightly since this mroning is just going to turn to glass in a few hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wertz wrote: »
    Have to agree: Dundalk is still gripped with snow on footpaths and fields, and half the town's main roads have black ice (ramparts and castletown/ecco rd especially bad).
    My thermo is showing -0.6...but the car was showing about 1-2C earlier (about 2pm).
    Not a cloud in the sky and anything that has thawed slightly since this mroning is just going to turn to glass in a few hours...

Castletown Road is a disgrace. Was saying elsewhere last night that in a 10 year old Almera with a bad clutch we were getting wheelspin at under 10mph in second gear.
    The da's thermometer seems to be an average of ~4 degrees higher than the weather station in Toberona, I'd say 1-2 of that is explained by being that bit closer to the coast, leaving roughly the same error you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Has anyone else noticed how many times Gerry Murphy says the word 'thaw' in recent forecasts? He loves it.

So much for a thaw!!! No sign of my snowmen's lives ending prematurely yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

wheres this thaw ?

"I thawt I thaw....... ":p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

wheres this thaw ?
    Dunno, certainly not here as it's just hit minus 7c

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

soccerc wrote: »
    Dunno, certainly not here as it's just hit minus 7c
    here in sandyford its -8 so much for a thaw as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

snow ghost wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how many times Gerry Murphy says the word 'thaw' in recent forecasts? He loves it.

Also it's the worst thaw ever, what ever happened the good old thaws in the 80's when a front pushed in from the south west with temps in the 10-12c that would just wash it all away. At this rate they'll be ice hanging around at christmas.Another snowfall would make it so much more bareable :pac:

• Advertisement

His favourite word is "sleet" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

His favourite word is "sleet" ;)

Is it me or does he sometimes say "shleet"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

They're always saying it on TG4 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Well it's going to be a slow and short lived thaw, next week we'll be back to very cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I have about 100,000 trees to plant on a number of sites but the earth is like granite. Bring on the thaw!!!

Although Im bracing myself for a big fall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

-15c on the N81 Baltinglass, yep that's some thaw alright.

jprboy wrote: »
    Is it me or does he sometimes say "shleet"? :)

He sure does, i think when he says shleet it's as good as snow.

Anyway should be a decent thaw by next weekend for those who need to get to the shops to stock up on beer for next cold spell.

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Loving that chart ^^^^^

This thread seems to have died a premature death . . although it is due to be resurrected by thursday. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

It can snow like crazy after say 9pm tonight.

I need to get to the Gym tonight.
    Going Bonkers...

Advertisement