Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The happy thaw thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

A view of Ireland from space today (NASA)
    139110.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Still 100% snow cover here, not even a blade of grass showing yet, not even tracks in the road yet. How is it all gone in kilkenny. All the fields are still pristine white here.

Higher areas have some left and theres plenty in really sheltered areas, north facing slopes and behind hedges. Wexford got a lot more than we did though . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Higher areas have some left and theres plenty in really sheltered areas, north facing slopes and behind hedges. Wexford got a lot more than we did though . .

We still have about 2 inches of snow on the ground while in wexford town the thaw is complete, that sat image above shows it well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

looking at that image, it looks like i should be still snowed in, in north meath, but all i see is green green grass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lots of severe black ice in my estate this morning. Took the motorbike out to go to work and made it 5 minutes down the road before losing it on black ice.:(

Hope this 'event' at the tail end of the week doesn't materialise!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The NRA has issued instructions to stop gritting many of the main roads that WERE on the gritting program so far. Good luck trying to find out why Noel Dempsey was all over the telly claiming we had plenty and with plenty more on the way.

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/treatment-of-roads-reviewed-as-salt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's horrible my fellow thaw fans, horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

dsmythy wrote: »
    It's horrible my fellow thaw fans, horrible.
    Victory will be ours, ,................ eventually! :D

GSF wrote: »
    Victory will be ours, ,................ eventually! :D

April not too far away I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

dsmythy wrote: »
    April not too far away I guess :(
    well they days are getting longer from tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

Some models seem to show a small area of high pressure moving west to east late on Wednesday. Hopefully it dries things out and drags some milder air behind it but looking at what is said about the dogged persistence of a cold airmass I'm not so confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It looks like it is going to be a happy St Stephen's day thaw, lovely mild air and heavy rain to wash away the bitter and cold weather.

I can't wait as it will greatly reduce my work load.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Don't mind the thaw but dreading the wind and rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Sorry Jerry Seinfeld....but I will NEVER complain about the rain again, NEVER again.....so sick of this weather. It was lovely the first few days but now we have no water and the electricity has gone 20 miles down the road from our little village, which means we could be next!

Nope, bring on the rain and even the wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Cant wait for the thaw - apparently its starting on St Stephens Day!!!:D

As for the wind and the rain - we are Irish - we are used to that stuff!!!

Things are looking up - oh happy happy thaw!:D:D:D

BUMP!

Bring it on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

It is definitely here in North Cork. Started last night around 22.30 and went from about -6 to around 0 in the space of 2 hours. Now at 5.1 degs. Getting very breezy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Since the end of November I've been rubbing my hands with glee watching the temps plummeting and the snow falling, now after being with no water for a week and spending all afternoon sorting out a flood (with the help of a friend who is a plumber, thank f***) and getting ready for some serious house drying, I feel the time has come to post in the "happy thaw" thread.
    The rain is belting down now and the lovely Atlantic wind is battering the house, it feels cosy (squelchy carpets and all) and safe, back to reality and familiar ground.
    That Siberian weather is grand for a bit of fun for a little while but now it's time to relax, open another beer and listen once again to the real weather.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wind and rain, wind and rain, wind and rain bring it on in waves of wetness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

bloody miserable dampness comes back. everything is grey and wet. mouldy looking country now. come back snow, all is forgiven

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

kenmc wrote: »
    bloody miserable dampness comes back. everything is grey and wet. mouldy looking country now. come back snow, all is forgiven

Ahh.....you need a house out in the wilds to appreciate a night like this.

Floods on the way i'd say!!! pouring here for ages . . . . . . . .:(

Snow come back! all is forgiven! I didnt really mean it when i said i was sick of it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

I'd rather this than have the snow along roads eventually turn filthy and brown much like happens in NYC. If I didn't live in the city I would miss it more. It's generally a cold pattern this season so we may have another round or two yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Can't believe how quickly that melted! But I'm so happy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Its lashing rain all day here in Co Wexford, but there are still a few icy spots on the back roads - be careful driving out there!

Some beautiful new potholes to avoid too - some full of water so you wont see them till youre in em!

Drive slowly, take your time, we are not out of the woods yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

the Thaw came in the early hours of the morning. It was white ice/snow was still there @5 in the morning. woke up at 10 and it gone. Now I have to wait for the water come back from the mains so I can have a shower :D and then the washing of three days worth of dishes :(. Thank god I had Christmas dinner elsewhere. I did help out honest....... I distracted my relations kids with their toys, I think I had more fun than they did, since they could not go out in the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Lovely day here. So cold and dry. 4 inches of snow down. Went for a long walk and loads of people playing on sleighs. More on the way.

So nice in munich this christmas. I just hope this thaw stops my pipes bursting in Galway while im away.

Think its due to get to -17 tonight here in the city(munich, not galway).

This snow is crap though. Its impossible to make a snowball. Powdery dry snow. Ill take the snow at home anyday!

Solyad wrote: »
    Lovely day here. So cold and dry. 4 inches of snow down. Went for a long walk and loads of people playing on sleighs. More on the way.

So nice in munich this christmas. I just hope this thaw stops my pipes bursting in Galway while im away. Think its due to get to -17 tonight here in the city.

This snow is crap though. Its impossible to make a snowball. Powdery dry snow. Ill take the snow at home anyday!

-17 . . .thats mild . .:P

The snow here was like that though the last few weeks . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

-17 . . .thats mild . .:P

The snow here was like that though the last few weeks . . .

Thats the funny thing. -17 doesnt seem that extreme anymore:;

oh as for tales of frozen pipes, you'd swear id told the germans id found life on mars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Snow come back! all is forgiven! I didnt really mean it when i said i was sick of it!!!!

Be careful what you wish for!

Advertisement