Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Still snowing here.. looking at radar looks like we are in for a little break. :D

Biggest heaviest flakes of the day so far here !! woooohoooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Light snow just started around Thurles...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

damoz wrote: »
    snowing in north cork.

what part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Not a small affair!

0800.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but is that yellow/rusty cloud that seems to be coming from the West - Snow or Rain?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but is that yellow/rusty cloud that seems to be coming from the West - Snow or Rain?

Thanks

Mostly snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

that front looks like it will only bring a few hours of precip! looks to be about an hour or so away from us at the moment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

No snowfall this morning in Waterford but grey clouds everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

The heaviest band of snow (in yellow) seems to be on its way towards Dublin/Wicklow region..looks like Dublin is in for another bashing...

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Snowing in Athlone -yesss!!:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can anyone tell me if the ferries have been affected? I've had 3 flights cancelled, so i'm taking the ferry at 2pm instead. Just hoping there's no issues with it. Nothing mentioned on the site, so hopefully it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

IFSC - Dublin

Just saw a girl being put into an ambulance on a back board, head and neck fully strapped. Doesn't look good, she was on the ground for at least 10mins and didn't. Doesn;t look like your usual broken ankle/wrist

Terrible, hope its not too serious. You can hear a lot more ambulances since the snow I've noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nothing at all here no rain no snow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Eventhough I love MT's style of forecasting and enjoy his read he suffer from one disadvantage - Local knowledge!
    When you've lived through many years of snow falling up country and not in Cork you quickly realise that you need everything in your favour for snow in Cork
    Leahyl, upper atmosphere temps is why it's raining at -3
    Lethal roads and paths though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

atlantic i'm afraid - its a front coming from warmer waters from my amateur view. i think there is a cold front following behind so it may turn back to sleet/now later as MT predicted...eternal optimist am i!

Thanks Munsterlegend! I usually am fairly optimistic but i just can't keep it up much longer!! I hear from a work colleague that it's snowing VERY HEAVILY in Castlelyons and Fermoy.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    The heaviest band of snow (in yellow) seems to be on its way towards Dublin/Wicklow region..looks like Dublin is in for another bashing...

We could really do without that, tbh! Have never seen as much snow in my life as I did last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 garimac

Raining in Clonakilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Just back from my morning deliverey to Dublin city centre. The roads are letal in places even with the snow chains on the truck. Cars all over the place. With more snow on the way i'd avoid going out in the car at all unless you like walking in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: Current -7.6 °C High -7.6 °C Low -12.0 °C
    Dew Point: Current -7.9 °C High -7.9 °C Low -12.8 °C

It has started to snow lightly, but is getting heavier little by little.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Yes!!! It's snowing!!! At sea level :eek:

It's light at the moment but it is settling very easily - looks like a dusting of icing sugar at the moment - we might get a few cm out of this

I can't remember the last time I saw proper frontal snow here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

19b9e433.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

has anyone noticed on raintoday.co.uk that the large area coming toward dublin is developing a trailing tail??? or stream if you like??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Sleety rain in Donegal Town now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Getting heavy now in Athlone with huge flakes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Just my luck,will miss the heavy stuff.snow shield powered up again.
    I feel sorry for those especially in Cork waiting all this time and only to be disappointed again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Lol, there might be a bit of a flaw with T2 Dublin airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQ429ajrEU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking out the window the sky is mostly blue to the west.
    I have NEVER in my entire life seen an Atlantic front that didn't turn to rain eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

trying to snow just south of Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What about that other system that Jean mentioned in last nights weather thats moving up from the South - she said that would bring snow to southern areas? Is that still on course?

I'm clutching at straws here!:o:)

has anyone noticed on raintoday.co.uk that the large area coming toward dublin is developing a trailing tail??? or stream if you like??:D
    Thats not a stream like you had from the irish sea though.
    It's moving west to east-so the people it affects as it passes through only get the narrow width of it not the length of it.
    A stream from the irish sea moves through from one length to it's other length unlike a front which moves width to width.

Sometimes you get a ripple along a front which slows it down but this also entails heavier precip.
    This is not the case in this tail-it's just a line of lighter precip.
    If you like snow you don't want to be under that tail as it means less precip and not lasting long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Statistically speaking Nice in the South of France gets more snow than Cork does although Cork is generally a lot colder in Winter. I read this in Wikipedia and I can well believe it. The snow occasionally comes down from the Alpes Maritimes and covers Nice but the snow then melts within a day or two max.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement