Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

DDigital wrote: »
    Why?

Because it plummets the country into losing even more money due to reduced productivity?

I get the weather loving and use here for up to date info, but try and understand the difficulties this weather causes as you delight in perlonged ice age like conditions.

Thanks.

Lol, I think someone needs a coooooookie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

carlmwan wrote: »
    We dont cause the weather...we just enjoy it noting wrong with that:D

looks like someone let the village idiot near a keyboard...:P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

fishfoodie wrote: »
    In a lot of the smaller townships in the US where they can't afford to have much municipal snow gear, they just pay an hourly rate to any private citizen or company that buys its own & clears roads when needed.

Save the taxpayer having to fork out for equipment that generally is only needed once in a blue moon !

mr_plow_jacket.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

carlmwan wrote: »
    We dont cause the weather...we just enjoy it noting wrong with that:D

Well I don't enjoy it and would like to remind you that an already demolished economy is suffering here. I don't know your personal situation, but expect lay offs in the new year as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

No sign of snow here yet,just started to dash in to a slab of budweiser :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Dow99 wrote: »
    Dont think there will be any more snow until sometime tomorrow morning / afternoon for the east coast.

Folks, I missed the RTÉ forecast,, can someone give a summary please??

Snow, Snow and more Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    hopefully there is a turn in the weather for the better.. .
    better = more snow. get your terminology right or you won't last here for long. Actually the rest of your post confirms that you won't last here for long. Snow = good great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

fishfoodie wrote: »
    In a lot of the smaller townships in the US where they can't afford to have much municipal snow gear, they just pay an hourly rate to any private citizen or company that buys its own & clears roads when needed.

Save the taxpayer having to fork out for equipment that generally is only needed once in a blue moon !

I was in the New Super Tesco in Nass earlier on this afternoon ,

The had a lad on a quad bike with a plough on the front of it ,

After he got a good load of snow in the plough it stopped dead and started spinning .

Walking by , I realized they had not snow chains on it ! effectively pi$$ing in the wind.

Went in and done my shopping and the quad was parked outside the front door and a JCB with the bucket down flying along clearing the car park !

Surely this idea could utilized in other places too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rsom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Because it plummets the country into losing even more money due to reduced productivity?

Events like this can actually act as a stimulus to some industries, car maintenance/repairs/tyre purchases, insulation investment, fuel purchases etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Moderatesnow in Bray now - looks like we're in the streamer firing line for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Snow is deadly, tought id share it here aswell just for the people who dont check the picture thread :o
    I know its inmature, but what the hell, we only get this once a year :)

So i havent been on this thread all day and havent been keeping up with the forecast :D
    In short, would someone please be able to tell me what the forecast for dublin is tonight ? Or if someone from finglas is on here and they knew what kind of weather were expecting ( hint hint iancar92 :P ) and was able to tell me it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so limerick is just getting cold rain tomorrow? Say it ain't so! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's any amount of jcb's,teleporters etc. parked up,why not use them to clear the roads? The owners of the equipment would enjoy the work(getting paid) rather than having the machinery sitting in a yard or on a closed up site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Well I don't enjoy it and would like to remind you that an already demolished economy is suffering here. I don't know your personal situation, but expect lay offs in the new year as a result of this.

Us stopping enjoying the weather won't improve the situation or reduce impact on the economy. Many of us could be affected by such lay-offs too - but some of us choose to make the best of what we have and enjoy the interesting weather while it's here. Being miserable and bemoaning the situation will not improve the outlook.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    looks like someone let the village idiot near a keyboard...:P

I hope you are not referring to me as the "village idiot" or its finger on the report button. I'm entitled to my (non offensive) opinion and also entitled to offer it to those I think need to hear it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I've posted a poll to gauge the snow lovers vs snow haters with respect to whether it's affecting your income or not:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108320

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Why?

I get the weather loving and use here for up to date info, but try and understand the difficulties this weather causes as you delight in perlonged ice age like conditions.

Thanks.
    Your in the wrong thread.........http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108320

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

No snow all day here in Callan in Kilkenny... Although the city got quite a bit last night!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

yup in work on Monday they were using a JCB with its bucket down to clear the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I'm depressed. Was meant to be flying out from Dublin to Rome tomorrow morning. Its near perfect down here, but chances are the flight could be cancelled, and i couldn't risk driving up or getting the train up when the weather is as bad as they say it is in Dublin.
    So so depressed, but it could be alot worse i suppose. Just a pity that we are suffering the battle with ice in the morning on our way to works without the reward of the lovely snow.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

I hope you are not referring to me as the "village idiot" or its finger on the report button. I'm entitled to my (non offensive) opinion and also entitled to offer it to those I think need to hear it.

Lol the 2 borderline trolls are successfully jumped against each other :D
    You're itching to report someone, aren't you? :)

Why do you think anyone *needs* to hear your very non offensive opinion about hating snow? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

That won't have much to do with the snow, rather the politicians, bankers and developers. Look at how much more positive community spirit the snow has caused, and for the first time in 5 months the first thing on the news and papers is not the state of the economy.
    A couple of days of snow is nothing compared to 15 years of imbezzlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

Temperature has gone up a degree here in donegal -7 now

• Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

01122010040.jpg

My new lil friend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Ye i understand what you are saying but would you rather hate on the snow or enjoy it while we have it...It is not gonna go any faster

del88 wrote: »

I can follow posts. But thanks a lot Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

leahyl wrote: »
    Well Jean said snow so i'm listening to her! (mainly because that's what i want to hear:D!)

I hear you girl, just been left disappointed too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Dublin looked fantastic today, never seen so much snow in all my life. hope everyone got home allright, trains were running late but mist of them ran I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement