Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Rafloution wrote: »
    Can one of ye copy up the facebook photo please? Im not a member...yup in the 3% who are not.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The upper air temps will rise as the front moves over the country so in some places at least the temps will be risky for snow.

Would that make it more marginal for the east then seen as the air temps would have more time to modify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Ah '82 remember it as if it was yesterday. Remember my dad opening the front door of our bungalow and the snow drift was higher than the front door it was perfectly formed with just the impression of the door knob in it....."don't think you'll be going to school today" he said :D

When we eventually got out a gang of us built a bob sleigh run in the field opposite. Myself and my brother had sleighs made out of fibre glass made by my dad.....lethal speeds were achieved

We were off school for a month as the school roof buckled under the weight of snow and in the 80's money for repairs was hard to come by....shame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Don't forget to watch the forecast on RTE 1 after the 9 news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Rafloution wrote: »
    Can one of ye copy up the facebook photo please? Im not a member...yup in the 3% who are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

you would get a more accurate forcast here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

channaigh wrote: »
    what part of kilkenny are u in

Near thomastown, right beside mt juliet. Mt. juliet has a climatological station, last year they got -16.3 in the cold spell.

Kilkenny city info available here . . http://www.kilkennyweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnsturking

Is there going to be snow in longford?? There was some of Sunday but it wasn't too bad so all the schools were still open for the week but there's still snow around and it hasn't snowed at all since sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The facebook photo:

156833_10150100287823783_778983782_7390628_6353619_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Bloody nightmare here today in north Kilkenny.
    Couldn't go to work due to the snow on the roads,called in to my elderly neighbour and asked if he wanted any supplies from the shop.

We have had over 1 foot of snow here since Saturday,it is freezing hard at the moment.the news says there's more snow for the the southeast tonite.
    Anyone know what time I should exspect to see it here ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I love the way the economy has been relegated to lower down the running order of the news. Maybe they should start off with the forecast these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Got these delivered at the end of last week, they can also be bought in outdoor shops like Trespass, Base Camp and Great Outdoors. Makes a huge difference walking on snow/ice

http://www.vikingdirect.ie/1/1/12934-yaktrax-walker-traction-footwear-m-uk-size-6-9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

furtzy wrote: »
    in the 80's money for repairs was hard to come by....shame ;)

Just like now, I would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

Snow in here, thankfully we are set with food and heating! Fun times!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Near thomastown, right beside mt juliet. Mt. juliet has a climatological station, last year they got -16.3 in the cold spell.

Kilkenny city info available here . . http://www.kilkennyweather.com/

Wow 4c difference between Waterford and Kilkenny -5.7c V -1.7c

Detail here www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Heyes wrote: »
    you would get a more accurate forcast here

you would be far better listening to the experts on here and never mind the weather on the rte news i learned that the hard way a few days ago and the boards.ie experts have not been to far wrong up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Tazpm wrote: »
    Snow in here, thankfully we are set with food and heating! Fun times!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jaysus, have you beer :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

I'd totally go a chips and curry sauce right now but the snow is up to my middle outside .....what to do......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

While I really love reading all yer posts, this one has hurt deeply for Corkonians. I mean Waterford and Bandon got heavy snow yet eventough Cork is in between we got very little. I really thought a strong Easterly would have blown them further inland. The worst thing is if warm seas didn't spark convection what hope have we when seas get colder.
    Even tomorrow it's a non runner for Cork with a Southwest wind.
    All in all delighted for the dubs but for Cork it might as well get mild and at least be easier to get out and about.

By the way amazing solidarity shown in Dublin, considering the extremity of the weather ye all coped exceptionally well:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Our chipper delivered....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

wow -6 here and its only 9.20

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Ginny wrote: »
    Our chipper delivered....:D

Number? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Great move from EsB, Bord Gais, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Looking at Ice Road Truckers here.

Pffft - that looks easy. Let them try drive from Dublin to Wexford. That'll learn 'em.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Great move from EsB, Bord Gais, etc

Suspending disconnections?

No, a really great move would have been for them all to drop the price of a unit for the period of this snow event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Nicki123 wrote: »
    Number? :)

Your in Firhouse call top tops!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Just gonna catch the rte weather now and see what's in store for us in north KK.
    But I'm in the best place for reliable weather,us boardies stick together :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement