Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

a dusting of snow here , very cold though

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's strange coz the snow is melting here quite fast now, been dripping all day and the drips are now heavier and it's not frezzing outside at all. At least 2 inchs of snow melted since this morning. My confidence of snow falling from the atlantic front is fairly low because of this.

wow snow here didnt melt much today

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

wcc have 2 snow ploughs operating out of local yard but cant keep up with snow. can't fault them just too much snow. Have family in Switzerland and they had snow day yesterday as roads not cleared after 1 day of snow so its not just here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Cold front for the south tomorrow night? :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Will that precipitation in the Irish sea hit Dublin? I presume it'll fall as snow if it does reach us, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG She specifically said the SOUTH!!!!! YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! ABOUT FREAKIN TIME!!:D:D

I think we will have snow in the morning, but the 2nd I think will bring rain. I hope not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we had almost unbroken sunshine all day long since 10am so thats propably why some of ours melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Can anyone give a synopsis of the forecast for those of us that missed it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

ragg wrote: »
    God Bless America

They collect rubbish every day in NYC so those roads would be cleared every day. Good idea, trouble is ours in the UK get collected once a fortnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Great forecast. Hope Cork gets it. You deserve it after listening to the East harping on about it for the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Any snow comin to roscommon?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Great forecast. :D

Double snow fronts tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Great effort put into these on Leinster Rd.

162966_182771831737074_100000127746988_709671_3836819_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

-11 forecasted and snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

errlloyd wrote: »
    I hear dripping too, I think its just cause obviously my house is warmer then air temp, so snow on my roof is probably melting. Need better insulation.

Or you have a burst pipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cormacp6

Is swords going to get snow today had heavy snow today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

9kc76v.jpg

Just negotiated a loan with Anglo Irish Bank to build 200 of these boys in the local village as well as 10 commercial Igloo units.. The first phase of the residential Igloo units have fully sold out off-plan already. Guaranteed 5% yield per annum*

(* Igloos may melt if current arctic conditions do not persist permanently)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

smokin ace wrote: »
    you would be far better listening to the experts on here and never mind the weather on the rte news i learned that the hard way a few days ago and the boards.ie experts have not been to far wrong up to now

maquiladora is one of the experts on here , well in the few years I have been here I found it to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Cormacp6 wrote: »
    Is swords going to get snow today had heavy snow today!

Dont think there will be any more snow until sometime tomorrow morning / afternoon for the east coast.

Folks, I missed the RTÉ forecast,, can someone give a summary please??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

cabot wrote: »
    They collect rubbish every day in NYC so those roads would be cleared every day. Good idea, trouble is ours in the UK get collected once a fortnight!

No I don't think it works like that. The impression I have is that the garbage trucks are 'comandeered' when needed for use as dedicated snow plows, nothing to do with the rubbish collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

hopefully there is a turn in the weather for the better.. hopefully the temperaure starts to rise and melts away the snow.. its getting hard to get to work everyday.. people have to work to keep a roof over their head's, judging by the comments by some people on this site, they don't have that worry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Great forecast. :D

Why?

Because it plummets the country into losing even more money due to reduced productivity?

I get the weather loving and use here for up to date info, but try and understand the difficulties this weather causes as you delight in perlonged ice age like conditions.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

spockety wrote: »
    RE : earlier discussion about lack of investment in snow plows etc, and the prohibitive cost of buying things that will hardly ever be used.

Check out what they do in New York and Canada. Garbage trucks with attachment slots at the front to take a plow...

In a lot of the smaller townships in the US where they can't afford to have much municipal snow gear, they just pay an hourly rate to any private citizen or company that buys its own & clears roads when needed.

Save the taxpayer having to fork out for equipment that generally is only needed once in a blue moon !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

DDigital wrote: »
    Why?

Because it plummets the country into losing even more money due to reduced productivity?

I get the weather loving and use here for up to date info, but try and understand the difficulties this weather causes as you delight in perlonged ice age like conditions.

Thanks.

We dont cause the weather...we just enjoy it noting wrong with that:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Why?

Thanks.

If we delight in it or not , it makes no odds to what is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

spockety wrote: »
    No I don't think it works like that. The impression I have is that the garbage trucks are 'comandeered' when needed for use as dedicated snow plows, nothing to do with the rubbish collection.

Ah I see, trust be to be a bit naive lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

GavinH wrote: »
    I think we will have snow in the morning, but the 2nd I think will bring rain. I hope not.

Well Jean said snow so i'm listening to her! (mainly because that's what i want to hear:D!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why?

Thanks.

Chill out man.

hehe puntastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Dow99 wrote: »
    Dont think there will be any more snow until sometime tomorrow morning / afternoon for the east coast.

Very cold tonight.

Rain/sleet on west coast as front arrives.

Snow inland and in the east as it passes. 5-10cm more possible.

Tomorrow, temps of 0 or -1 in the midlands and east. 6 or 7 on west and southwestern coasts. It had the front over the east at 12.00pm.

There's a second front approaching from the west on saturday. They more glanced over this, it wasn't clear how confident they were of this bringing more snow. It, again, would be rain/sleet as it arrives in the west, but turning to snow. Like I say though, they didn't go into much detail on this. edit - though as musicman notes, they did specify the south as being more at risk.

Clearance then to wintry showers for north/north western coasts, with a northerly wind.

Said there'd be a gradual rise in temperatures but not much recovery until later in next week at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Dow99 wrote: »

Basically a front pushing across the country tomorrow bringing widespread snow, apart from the south west and west coast, then a cold front pushing up from the south Friday night giving snow in the south

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement