Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think any collector (especially a 32x collector) should go into the hobby with full knowledge of the limitations to what he may get within his budget.

I really don't think the high prices of Darxide mean people should make repros. If people cant afford the game and want a complete set then there's a much easier solution - NTSC US.

All repros do is make buying legit games for collectors an absolute minefield, especially when it comes to rare ones. It's awful :(

Totally agree, but isn't the NTSC US version kinda hard to come pay & very pricey too?

I've no problem paying for games/collectables, but only within reason. I won't pay artificially high prices

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Totally agree, but isn't the NTSC US version kinda hard to come pay & very pricey too?

I've no problem paying for games/collectables, but only within reason. I won't pay artificially high prices

There's no such thing as an NTSC Darxide - PAL is it! So you don't need to worry about it with an NTSC only collection.

The hardest NTSC US one to get is Spiderman, Web of Fire (not released in the PAL region). Usually come in about 100 dollars cart only. Here's one here -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spiderman-Spider-Man-32x-Web-of-Fire-Sega-Game-Nice-/120676086941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c18daf49d

You'd be paying that much for a repro anyway.

That is literally the very limit for NTSC US 32X games. Everything else falls well below that figure. It's a really good one to go for a complete collection.

The problem is, when I say a complete set, I don't just mean one region. If I were to collect a full set of 32X games...that'd be primarily all NTSC, & then whatever I can get in PAL.

Mixing regions doesn't bother me at all, so a complete set to me is every game that was released...albeit I'd only collect one example of each game.

Master of the Universe

Ahhh right. Well in that case you also need the Jap only release, Sangokushi IV - good luck finding that one! :D

Ahhh right. Well in that case you also need the Jap only release, Sangokushi IV - good luck finding that one! :D

You see my point! To me, a complete set is every game that was released on the system...not just a particular region. So, when it comes to the likes of Darxide...what do you do?

1) Buy it at outrageously inflated priced
    2) Don't buy it, & have an incomplete set
    3) Use a flash card, not bad, but it hardly stands up as a collection in that case
    4) Buy a nice fancy repro, again at stupidly high but affordable prices
    5) Make your own repro...hmmm

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It takes a specific kind of OCD person (!) to want to own a complete set of games. Someone who puts collecting in the same league as playing - as you'd have to buy a lot of crap games to get a complete set.

I think if you're one of those people, then knowing you have a repro in your set won't cut it at all. When it comes down to it - it's not the game. You don't own the game. You don't have a complete set. You basically have a flash cart with a fancy label.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

When it comes down to it - it's not the game. You don't own the game. You don't have a complete set. You basically have a flash cart with a fancy label.

This is true, but I'd never profess to owning a complete set really. It's more a case of the gamer in me wanting to play the game on original hardware [cart excluded but I can live with that].

I'm no lover of repro's as you know, they're essentially worthless...but do they hold any value to a person who wants to play said game outside of an emulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whatever you spend on it is money down the toilet. Repros aren't worth the price of the eeproms they are burnt on to.

Ah ok, cheers for the advice. I only buy original copies, I wasn't aware there was a repro and hack market out there too :o

Master of the Universe

This is true, but I'd never profess to owning a complete set really. It's more a case of the gamer in me wanting to play the game on original hardware [cart excluded but I can live with that].

I'm no lover of repro's as you know, they're essentially worthless...but do they hold any value to a person who wants to play said game outside of an emulator?

I guess everything can hold value to the person who has purchased it - I just worry about the future of that object, as if it's a 1:1 replica with no differentiation from the real one, well, you can probably imagine where I'm going!

For me it's always boiled down into two different areas -

Owning the original and playing it on original hardware
    Owning a flash cart and playing it on original hardware

Owning a pirate made to look like the original to play on original hardware just seems odd to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Achilles wrote: »
    Anybody have a decent price for the Everdrive for Mega Drive?

Seriously thinking of giving that a purchase...

The cheapest place is to get them is direct from the man that makes them in the Ukraine:

http://shop.retrogate.com/Mega-EverDrive-MEGA-ED.htm

Stone Age Gamer seem to be out of stock anyway, and you'll be hit by custom fees by buying from them.

You will need to cut out your own case though.

Does the Everdrive do 32X as well yeah?

Master of the Universe

I wasn't hit with customs fees buying from them. I doubt you would be on an item like that either. Anything customs have hit me on tends to be big and draws attention.

The sold out thing is a definite problem though. Their stock seems to fly off the shelves.

Master of the Universe

It does indeed!

Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Been itching to though. Be great to try out that unreleased XMen proto on real hardware.

It does indeed!

Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Been itching to though. Be great to try out that unreleased XMen proto on real hardware.

From our discussion earlier, I think I'd be happy enough having an Everdrive there to take up any slack on a 32x collection

Yeah but you need to plug it into a 32X as it doesn't emulate it.

But you probably already knew that! ;)

waveform wrote: »
    Yeah but you need to plug it into a 32X as it doesn't emulate it.

But you probably already knew that! ;)

I had an inkling yeah :rolleyes::p

Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He he, RARE Saturn games....
    Actua Soccer,
    Virtua Fighter?
    Hardcore 4x4?
    Seriously, Adverts would want to put a definition of the word RARE into the rules...

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-saturn-month-deal-7-rare-games-2-controllers/1684433

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He he, RARE Saturn games....
    Actua Soccer,
    Virtua Fighter?
    Hardcore 4x4?
    Seriously, Adverts would want to put a definition of the word RARE into the rules...

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-saturn-month-deal-7-rare-games-2-controllers/1684433

I daren't look...the temptation to troll would kill me. Actua soccer, seriously?

I had an inkling yeah :rolleyes::p

Would be cool if it did actually, although it would drive up the cost of the internals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ah nice one , glad it worked out in the end.
    and ahyeahok, did you check the infideals site , they had it with no manual but boxed fairly cheap.
    I luff Gynoug, I still have my original Jap version.
    Heres me playing it and dying repeatedly

I changed my mind... :rolleyes: :D
    YOINK!
    Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I need to get that Mega Drive out if my gf's attic. My original MD2 died years ago.

I haven't found a decent emulator yet that gets the MD's sound chip quite right. When you spin that end level pole in Sonic 2 especially... No emu seems to get it right.

Also FYI the Everdrive can play Master System games on the MD too just like the power base converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Anybody have a decent price for the Everdrive for Mega Drive?

Seriously thinking of giving that a purchase...

I've recently ordered a Mega Everdrive along with an SD2SNES from Krikzz, so when they come I'll be flogging one of my old Everdrive MD's and Super Everdrives as I'll have 3 of each. With the Everdrive MD, I have one for the Nomad (v1) and one for the MD/MCD/32X (v2) itself. The two Super Everdrives, one has a DSP1 installed (v2) and the other doesn't (v1).

I'll probably stick the two v1's on Adverts at fairly cheap prices when I get the new ones and they're tested and working fine if you or anyone else is interested in a good cheap flash cart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't found a decent emulator yet that gets the MD's sound chip quite right. When you spin that end level pole in Sonic 2 especially... No emu seems to get it right.

Most developers don't know how it worked either. For a sound chip that gets so much flak it was quite complex and I also don't think any emulator has gotten it right either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Relikk wrote: »
    I've recently ordered a Mega Everdrive along with an SD2SNES from Krikzz, so when they come I'll be flogging one of my old Everdrive MD's and Super Everdrives as I'll have 3 of each. With the Everdrive MD, I have one for the Nomad (v1) and one for the MD/MCD/32X (v2) itself. The two Super Everdrives, one has a DSP1 installed (v2) and the other doesn't (v1).

I'll probably stick the two v1's on Adverts at fairly cheap prices when I get the new ones and they're tested and working fine if you or anyone else is interested in a good cheap flash cart.

Got a Mega Everdrive today :) Will stick up a detailed post when I get a bit of time to try it out.

Will be interested in one of those Super ED's alright, let us know when the ads go up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement