Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Up beside phoenix park . You can realy see the iom shadow .
    Massive clouds to the south headding south west . Lighter clouds to the north doing likewise got a light dusting last night maybe 5mm - 10mm . Dam iom shadow .

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrioolis

M4 is terrible down to one lane. took me 55 minutes to get from maynooth (moyglare hall) to JFK ind est Dublin (usually its only 25 min).
    just wondering what is worse women on icy road or icy road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Tut tut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Yay Balbriggan Snowed in :)

Go Me!!!!!

Finally got our bloody snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I just drove from Rathfarnham to the City Centre. Very little treatment to roads in places but some were suprisingly good particularly around Rathmines. Stick to the main route even if you have to deal with serious traffic as some of the less travelled roads have a few cm of compacted ice on them that you can barely walk across let alone drive.

We got a few cm of snow last night in Dublin 16 which covered all of the tyre tracks that were there from the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

No school!! Whoo thank you snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

nothing in cork, but our road still looks lovely and white. apparently the kids put water on the road. good thing very few cars venture up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

There's a few big streamers developing out at sea now. More snow in the way.

I see that they are tracking into the "shadow zone" so maybe there has been a change in wind direction. City Center should be fun in an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The snow is really doing its utmost to avoid here!

The latest batch i was watching near Angelessey looks promising at first but winds have seemingly pushed it more southwest and aligned to skirt around 3 miles to my south and into the South of the City.

While the northern streamer is bashing Baligriggan area again!

Glad to hear alot of people got alot of snow last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just text my boss to say I wouldn't be in :D Lovely snow in Dunshaughlin! Probably could make it if I REALLY tried but got a big fright driving home yesterday evening and don't want to risk it again. If it clears in a few hours I might try.

Are we looking at getting anymore today?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Trim got pasted last night, haven't seen so much snow since I was a young lad. Clouding up again now. Pics later.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Still snowing here and the temp has dropped from +1 at 7am to 0c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Very similar to yesterday in that there's a bucket load of fresh snow. Temps seem to be lower as well. Very dark clouds to the nothwest of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Seems like nothing fell in the fecking city centre. I'm moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

We got another dumping ni the town lat night. Anyone know what the M3 is like? I have to drive to work in Blanchardstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Starting to snow heavily in D13... Big band of dark clouds headed straight for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Defcol wrote: »
    We got another dumping ni the town lat night. Anyone know what the M3 is like? I have to drive to work in Blanchardstown

It's in bits. Just heard it mentioned on the radio. However aVoid back roads at all costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Defcol wrote: »

Hey, I'm supposed to be driving from Dunshaughlin to Blanchardstown but I'm staying put :o My road is pretty treacherous though. It's only about 4 miles from my house to the motorway but I'm scared to drive it.

Someone posted this a short time ago about the M3:

vibe666 wrote: »
    good few inches in Navan again last night and still on and off this morning.

i ventured out in the jeep to see what the M3 was like and drove between the Navan South Exit & the Delvin one and it was passable, but the roads connecting to it were fairly bad. if you took it careful and could get to the motorway safely then i reckon you'd be okay, but you'd want to be keen on going to work as it was moving pretty slowly and there's differences of a couple of cm's to a foot of snow reported on here and you never know what's between where you're at and where you're going.

not sure if the M3 has been gritted or not (doubt it would make much difference on a day like today anyway) but the grupals were coming down fast enough that the tracks from the car a few hundred yards in front of me were starting to get covered up before i got there.

all the other roads i drove around navan were packed snow and ice and you wouldn't want to be doing more than 10-20km/h at most and maybe 5km/h in places, if that.

frankly, if its not a life or death drive then stay at home because its going to be chaos and there's more to come from the sounds of it, so even if you could get to where you're going, you'd want to be very sure you'll be able to get back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Made it pretty easily from D11 to D1, only the odd corner of concern. And the last two mornings, the snow has protected the car from freezing over...

Decent showers heading for Dublin CC in next hour i reckon.

• Advertisement

The snow is really doing its utmost to avoid here!

The latest batch i was watching near Angelessey looks promising at first but winds have seemingly pushed it more southwest and aligned to skirt around 3 miles to my south and into the South of the City.

While the northern streamer is bashing Baligriggan area again!

Glad to hear alot of people got alot of snow last night.
    I was awoken by insane snow and thunder around 4am,theres drifting here,snow is deeper than the wellingtons in the yard now.
    Sky is black to the east here,that welsh streamer is heading this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Newsflash: TODAY HAS BEEN CANCELLED !! try again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Seems to be a nice big shower headed for Dublin, maybe 1-2cm in the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

At last , it looks northside dublin coming out of the shadow, about bleedin' time !

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Drove from Swords (only a little extra frozen hail) to Sandyford (looks like a dump of snow dropped here) in about an hour this morning.

Decided to avoid the M50 because of the situation with the slip roads at Dundrum and Sandyford, so took the port tunnel and east link instead. Roads around Swords are mostly okay except in the estates. M1 was very slow. Was surprised to see snow along the coast road at Sandymount. Blackrock and up to the N11 are very bad. Traction control kicked in a fair few times there.

If you have to drive this morning, take it very easy folks. Now to mentally prepare myself for the commute home this evening :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

About 6 to 7 inches of snow here in Waterford city last night, The heaviest snow i have ever scene. Massive flakes. Looks kind of dark off to my East so we are not finished with the showers yet. I will post my clip of last night snow again as it got lost in the 1000s of posts last night. Here you go

Looking south i see big Anvils heading into Dublin Bay.

The Showers looks like kicking into South Dublin and north Wicklow, again, and some decent radar echoes too.

Say from Howth southwards will get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Starting to snow up by the O2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Carlow is a winter wonderland. Dont think I have seen this much snow here in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Firhouse got about another 3cm last night, thankfully no problems getting into work this morning on the bus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement