Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, the graphics were stunning! 1 of the many many examples was on the ship and the camera zoomed out to show the ship on it's side and you, a tiny dot. And then inside, the huge ballroom with the water leaking in through the huge glass window. Still, not close to GOTY.

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you have mentioned Batman and Gears 3 possibly being better considering they are both using an old Unreal engine at this stage and certainly don't have the same level of polish that UC3 has.

I'd agree in part that unreal engine is certainly starting to show its age, even when it was as heavily customised as it was in batman. I think I just enjoyed the level of detail that was present in those games,
    Helix wrote: »
    its not really about single textures, or character models, its about the overall art direction of the thing. its phenomenal

I would agree that UC3's art direction was very good, as usual, it was like watching a very well photographed movie. I guess the term "graphics" covers a lot of bases, but to me it means the technical stuff, which I think it's difficult these days to find a standout in. Best art direction to me would be a separate category.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Battlefield 3 on PC would have to take the crown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When there's games like Battlefield 3 on the PC that are technically ahead of everything else and Rayman Origins for art there's no way Uncharted 3 should be winning best graphics. As for game of the year, Dark Souls imo, but that's just me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    When there's games like Battlefield 3 on the PC that are technically ahead of everything else and Rayman Origins for art there's no way Uncharted 3 should be winning best graphics. As for game of the year, Dark Souls imo, but that's just me :)

Would of agreed with ya bout dark souls and probably still do but skyrim is one beast of a game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know I'll love Skyrim but I feel it won't beat Dark Souls, just found it to be one of those great games that only comes around every few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Although I'm still early in Skyrim, it is not a batch on Dark Souls, and Uncharted 3 would barely scrape the top ten of the year (which goes to show how fantastic a year it was). Child of Eden, Spacechem, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Death Smiles, Jamestown, Skyward Sword, Portal 2 and Catherine are all easily Skyrim and Uncharted beaters out of the ones I've played.

And while Uncharted certainly looks like millions of dollars, Child of Eden remains the most eye-meltingly pretty game of the year by a longshot. Made me fall for HD all over again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just finished it there. I ended up knocking the difficulty down to Very Easy. The superhuman guys and the spawning enemies are just too annoying.

Excellent graphics, great story, fantastic cinematics, let down by poor and outdated gameplay with some seriously dodgy controls. I'd rather watch this game than play it. The previous two games had similar problems, but they never overwhelmed the overall experience like they do in this game. I think ND just got a bit complacent. UC2 was so well received that they didn't think there was anything to improve on.

I still enjoyed it, but more as an interactive movie than as a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Anyone else have a problem with this game not loading up?
    All my other games are working fine, but when i put this in, i just get the spinning ring in the corner and it doesn't do anything then

weird everyone having gameplay issues with swarms of enemies and heavy armored elites since i bet the game in crushing under 4 hours
    i must be the best gamer on boards :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theres no bloody way that game is beatable in under 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I finished it myself yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I played it on normal difficulty and there was a couple of occasions that I was tempted to drop the difficulty level. The sequence in the ballroom on the ship was quite frustrating. As was the moment in the sandstorm when you need to find the RPG to take out the heavy guns. Had to restart those checkpoints so many times.

I tend to agree with those saying that it is not quite as good as Uncharted 2. I don't think there was a sequence in this game as good as the train level in Uncharted 2. The graphics are very, very impressive and the cinematics are terrific yet again. Also it still has the best voice acting of any game.

I don't believe it is possible to beat this game in under 4 hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

weird everyone having gameplay issues with swarms of enemies and heavy armored elites since i bet the game in crushing under 4 hours
    i must be the best gamer on boards :pac::pac:

pic or gtfo.

theres no bloody way that game is beatable in under 4 hours

Tis when ya skip all cutscenes :pac:

nah, still not buying it

ive played through it twice and its my job to play through games as quickly as i possibly can (which im not a fan of) and there's no way it can be done in 4

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Completely agree with points that I would rather watch this game than play it.

The gameplay actually felt like something you wanted to fly through to get to the cinematices sadly.

By the way,
    I think they really chickened out at the end. I really thought Sully was dead and the sequences after that with Drake's rage, the hallucinations etc were some of the best moments in the game that were slightly spoiled by the revelation he didn't actually die.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

BTW the developers said they could complete the game in 3 hours.

Hard to believe you did it in crushing though.

Believe what you will but it was bout 4 hours i completed it ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You guys don't appreciate it :confused: Bloody fantastic games, don't understand hardly any of these complaints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

cloud493 wrote: »
    You guys don't appreciate it :confused: Bloody fantastic games, don't understand hardly any of these complaints.

It's merely sensible criticism. If there's one thing the gaming community is guilty of, it's an embarassing inability to allow for an open and varied discourse. I think with Uncharted 3 there were enough flaws with the design - from silly enemy design to the game's supposed-to-be-hidden inner gears revealing themselves one too many times - to irk very many passionate Uncharted fans. I think there's a lot of people that think Uncharted 3 is a disappointing step-back - or not enough of a step-forward - compared to the last game.

It's certainly a good game - few would have much fault with the script, setpieces or presentation - but it's far from perfect, and the flaws demand discussion as much as the strengths. Healthy, varied debate is often distressingly absent on gaming forums, so always nice to see some thoughtful criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Exactly. Far from a flawless game, and it currently stands quite a bit below the bar Uncharted 2 set.

Really love this franchise, especially it's voice acting. However, I think Uncharted 4 needs really careful attention to it's AI and combat set pieces.

Too many times I found enemies running around my position, acting the idiot. I thought the 'tanks' in Uncharted 2 were not terribly unbalanced, but jesus the bullet sponges in this one take it too far.

Anyways! Great game, but far from perfect. Very similar to my opinions on Assassin's Creed.

It's merely sensible criticism. If there's one thing the gaming community is guilty of, it's an embarassing inability to allow for an open and varied discourse. I think with Uncharted 3 there were enough flaws with the design - from silly enemy design to the game's supposed-to-be-hidden inner gears revealing themselves one too many times - to irk very many passionate Uncharted fans. I think there's a lot of people that think Uncharted 3 is a disappointing step-back - or not enough of a step-forward - compared to the last game.

It's certainly a good game - few would have much fault with the script, setpieces or presentation - but it's far from perfect, and the flaws demand discussion as much as the strengths. Healthy, varied debate is often distressingly absent on gaming forums, so always nice to see some thoughtful criticism.

its the price you pay for trying to surpass one of the best games of this generation of consoles, change too much and you lose what makes the series fun to play, dont change it enough and you're just rehashing it.

Perhaps asking too much, but an Uncharted game where they just completely removed gunplay and replaced it with more 'appropriate' content would be the step forward I'd like to see. I don't mean simply more setpieces - even Naughty Dog have limited resources - but somehow make an adventure game that doesn't break the tone with rooms upon rooms of enemy footsoldiers.

How do they do this? Haven't a clue: I'm not a game designer. But looking at something like ICO - which has very minimal combat elements - would be a step in the right direction. Provide some sort of 'overworld', perhaps, but keep the scripted sections. Have treasure that the player has to discover for themselves - not just by walking forward. Keep what makes Uncharted special, and build upon it. Variety is always going to be a problem, but where's the ambition to achieve something really special?

Exactly. Far from a flawless game, and it currently stands quite a bit below the bar Uncharted 2 set.

Really love this franchise, especially it's voice acting. However, I think Uncharted 4 needs really careful attention to it's AI and combat set pieces.

Too many times I found enemies running around my position, acting the idiot. I thought the 'tanks' in Uncharted 2 were not terribly unbalanced, but jesus the bullet sponges in this one take it too far.

Anyways! Great game, but far from perfect. Very similar to my opinions on Assassin's Creed.

there were WAY too many bullet absorbing shotgun wielding assbags in UC3, every gunfight almost. and guys throwing grenades with pinpoint accuracy to land at your feet not matter where they were, got annoying.

i'm on my second playthrough and a lot of it honestly feels like padding where the gunfights are concerned, take the tank sequence in UC2, it served a story purpose, it kept the action moving, it was a running battle through the Tibetan village where you were ducking in and out of alleys and houses to take cover, it was superb.
    Then take the ship graveyard sequence in UC3, its annoying (beautiful looking though) its a throwaway side villain and littered with ridiculous snipers, bullet sponges and grenades raining on you no matter where you are, theres no flow to it I spent most of it hanging off the side of a ship taking cover and trying to take out the harder enemies first, just wanted it to be over in the end, and I never once felt that playing through the action sequences in UC2. It reminding me of that horrid bunker level in UC1, which was an absolute chore to play through.

Anyone else feel the
    stranded on the desert walking was to make the game feel longer
    the part of the game dragged on for ages i think they ran out of ideas .. Also fighting those brutes on more than one ocassion felt tiresome and was soooo boring , u3 felt like an expansion pack than a true sequel , felt like sony came in naughty dog studios and said ya you guy we need more money you make uncharted 3 nowwww or you are fired !!!!!! :pac:

The
    desert
    sequence is the kind of thing there should have been more of. It improved the pacing of the game significantly by scaling back for ten minutes. I'm under no illusion that there's anything more involved than pressing forward while the camera pans dramatically around you, but as a spectacle it was a highlight of the game, and got across Drake's desperation in the situation hella effectively. If anything, more of it would have been nicer. It's the rare game that makes the player suffer in order to make an artistic point. I guess in a medium obsessed with achievements, that's no surprise :(

Interesting, didn't think Naughty Dog would have done a scene like that but when I saw previews of that section of the game I thought it would be good if Naughty Dog did something like that since it worked really well during a similar scene in Illusion of Time yonks ago.

Not saying the scene was bad but i feel like these days vg want to be like movies . I want more gameplay than watching a cutscene or they trying to create an artistic seneory

theres absolutely nothing wrong with telling a story though, particularly if its a good one that's well acted

• Advertisement

theres absolutely nothing wrong with telling a story though, particularly if its a good one that's well acted

this, and UC3 has some superb voice acting from all the cast. this scene in particular spoilers ahoy mateys

from 1.30 on, I think this is Nolan Norths best acting ever.

you're watching pixels act, and its better than a lot of movies these days.

Advertisement