Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people even smoke cigarettes?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Promac wrote: »
    Try walking down Henry street this christmas without having to breathe in some f*ckers smoke or count how many bins have a pile of smouldering butts in the ashtray on top causing a huge cloud of smoke in the area so that you have to hold your breath for a good 30% of the time.
    Can someone in Dublin take a quick walk down Henry street to prove there's no HUGE CLOUD'S of smoke billowing from dustbins and that you don't actually have to hold you breath for 30% of the time it takes you to walk the entirety of the street. It shouldn't take 5 minutes.
    elekid wrote: »
    I think the problem is that cigarette smoke affects some people more than others (like 3D movies!). I know people who don't smoke and have no problem being around smokers, but I have always found the smell of the smoke makes me quite nauseous and I can't endure it for long. Even a whiff on the street can turn my stomach but I can usually avoid it by holding my breath and speeding up for a few seconds to get past. Car fumes are disgusting too but they don't have that immediate effect on me so they don't bother me near as much.
    Well your not told car fumes are toxic and are killing you on a daily basis like you are with tobacco smoke. If I was to tell you car fumes kill a few times a day for ten years I think you'd be just as repulsed by it. But fair enough some people probably do have a hyper sensitivity to cigarette smoke and even though that their problem just as someone that's lactose intolerant has to look out for their own welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

liah wrote: »
    You say the only enjoyment you got out of it was because of addiction. What, then, do you think the reason was I smoke? I'm not addicted, have never experienced withdrawal and cravings, have smoked for a week then none for months with no problems.

Clearly I'm not the only smoker like this, but you still choose to label me as stupid because the only reason must be addiction.

I find branding a quarter of the population as "stupid" because of a bad habit stupid, to be frank. Everybody has their flaws, but it's no reason at all to write them all off and insult them in one sweeping blow.

Stupid or foolish - take your pick. You don't seem stupid as you can articulate yourself fairly well so you must simply be foolish or a coward. Since you can stop any time you like you must be a fool.

Only a fool would smoke cigarettes when they have no need to.

If you don't think you're addicted then never smoke again. If there's no addiction there it won't bother you. Unless you're implying there's something amazing you get from smoking that makes you keep doing it when you're not addicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

ScumLord wrote: »
    Can someone in Dublin take a quick walk down Henry street to prove there's no HUGE CLOUD'S of smoke billowing from dustbins and that you don't actually have to hold you breath for 30% of the time it takes you to walk the entirety of the street. It shouldn't take 5 minutes.

You've never been to Henry Street have you?

positron wrote: »

Nasty stuff.
    Seriously, your cigarette intake doubles for the sake of 60c?Do yuo really smoke 60 cigarettes a day?

I was on 60 a while back.. Creepin towards it again unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Now that I realise it though I can see what an utter wanker I was for doing it
    liah wrote: »
    So wait, you realised you were being a wanker before
    I'm just joining in on a thread about smoking on AH - if you think I'm a wanker for it, good for you.
    You said you were a wanker before, she said you realised you were a wanker before, and then you get offended that she said that you realised you were a wanker before :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

Stupid or foolish - take your pick. You don't seem stupid as you can articulate yourself fairly well so you must simply be foolish or a coward. Since you can stop any time you like you must be a fool.

If you don't think you're addicted then never smoke again. If there's no addiction there it won't bother you. Unless you're implying there's something amazing you get from smoking that makes you keep doing it when you're not addicted?

What a ridiculous post.

I'm in the same boat as liah, just enjoy the odd cigarette now and again - maybe 20 cigarettes total in an entire year.

Definitely not addicted. I just enjoy the social aspect, and the novelty of it. Do you understand what the word "addiction" actually means? Or are you just assuming anyone who does anything is "addicted" to it.

In that case I'm "addicted" to wearing clothes, eating food, living in a house, driving a car, watching movies, listening to music, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

"Only a fool would smoke cigarettes when they have no need to"
    So everyone who ever drank alcohol is a fool? Anyone who had a takeaway is a fool? People have no need to drink Coca Cola but they still do! They must be idiots! :rolleyes:
    Your logic is flawed.

Advertisement