Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people even smoke cigarettes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Smokers enjoy the camaraderie they can share with other smokers. Going out for a fag.

There is a camaraderie alright but smokers tend to be very cliquey.

As soon as I produce my crack pipe in the smoking area at work they all disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,910 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They can really cap off a good Session. And since I rarely ever go on a serious "session" I rarely ever smoke, so win: no addiction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I find people with yellow teeth and bad breath more tolerable than those who sit there judging people who are doing nothing to anyone else but themselves.

Superiority complexes are far more off-putting, imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

liah wrote: »
    Superiority complexes are far more off-putting, imho!

And, as we all know, superiority complexes give you Face AIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I started smoking because I was a dumb kid who thought it was cool.

I have not smoked in 4 years now . From 20 a day to nothing.

Its still there sometimes. But once you get a smell of them again I soon come to my senses.

People smoke because they dont have the will power to quit. Nearly every smoker I know would like to be off them but just cant do it. They like(like I did ) to put it off to a far away date.
    I know why. The addiction is like is like a hunger.

I would recommend quiting to anyone who does smoke. It really is the way to go. Hard as hell though and I would not yet class myself as one who has kicked the habit just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Freud :rolleyes:

I'm afreud so.

What's it feel like to be addicted to something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

ScumLord wrote: »
    No they're not, they're heavily taxed, there's a big difference.

But your paying it in full you moron!
    If not your supporting the crim's!

Everything causes cancer and your going to die regardless.

Yes very true, but if you dont smoke thats one less thing to give you cancer!

These are purely subjective, you've had the anti smoking propaganda burnt into your brain and now find smoking repulsive when really it shouldn't mean anything to you either way. When smoking was cool everyone found it very attractive. Your dealing in fads and fashion.

Nope, I'm off smokes two months now and happy out! I still miss it the odd time and think it looks cool still but it stinks and is rank and is something to do if your bored!

I'd rather smell of smoke than rancid chemical spray.

Really? If you give up smoking you will get your sense of smell back and you will smell how rank tobacco smells off people and of course a stronger smell of lynx lol

Complete nonsense, the smokers deep voice is regarded as sexy. This is just fact.

Yes it is but thats only on women, on men its fcukin disgusting! Dont forget all that hackin up you do (I used to do) in the mornings...

I don't have to I'm forced outside by nonsense like this.

Your forced outside because it makes the pub stink!

There's nothing enjoyable about being stuck on a plane.

Thats true, but its easier when you are a non smoker:D

Bus and train are slightly more enjoyable because there's something to look at out the window but public transport is not enjoyable.

This is very true!!!!

:confused: I can enjoy an meal and go out and smoke what's your point?

You need to go out for a smoke after eating, thats every meal you have had and every meal you will have untill you die! Thats the point!

I smoke purely to annoy people like you.

Lol lovely, well done you!!!

Bitter smokers, I used to be like you, non-smokers are sh!theads who dont know what they are missing!
    I couldnt give a flying fook if you smoke but you should brush up on health issues on smoking love.

Have you never been in love?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Reminds me of a pacifier (or whatever they're called in Ireland, I forget) for adults. Soothing.

Damn, yeah, what do they call those soothing things that are used to soothe babies with their soothingness? :P

• Advertisement

Pookah wrote: »
    Have you never been in love?

I have. I just figured addiction to something like cigarettes would be a bit different to the experience of love.

EDIT: @pickarooney, Are they called soothers in Ireland? I remember some other name for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You know when you're faced with the prospect of doing two things, such as either doing some housework, or sitting on the couch watching TV.

And you know when you in your head you're saying to yourself, "Need to do the housework, Need to do the housework, Need to do the housework, Need to do the housework, Need to do the housework", but you absolutely cannot muster up the strength, so instead you say, "Ah fnck it. Housework can wait. TV."

That's what addiction is like. Half the time you're not really aware that you're doing it (though you are enjoying it) and the other half of the time, you don't really care that you're doing it, because doing it is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I dont scab people for cigarettes
    I dont blow smoke in children's faces
    I dont insist on smoking in a non smoking house
    I dont smoke in the middle of a crowded bus shelter

In fact, i do my very best to keep my habit to myself.

So why can't you anti smoking bellends do the same with your opinions? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Not to your pocket there's not!
    There is when I have my cigarettes sent over from Spain because of the tax. €50 for a months supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Darraghnormal

Because smoking weed is illegal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have. I just figured addiction to something like cigarettes would be a bit different to the experience of love.

EDIT: @pickarooney, Are they called soothers in Ireland? I remember some other name for them.

Yeah, there is another name but only stupid people use that. Morons, idiots, half-wits and shop-window mannequins.

Well, I suppose there are some differences.

...but longing for a cigarette, I get that same feeling in my chest that you get longing for your lover, and it builds and builds until you can't think of anything else, and the only relief is when the cigarette holds you in it's warm embrace, until you part and the cycle continues.

Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I never understood how someone could get addicted to cigarettes. I used to always smoke every now and then on nights out just because my friends would hand them to me. And sometimes on breaks from work. Never craved them. Can some people just not get addicted to them..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I never understood how someone could get addicted to cigarettes. I used to always smoke every now and then on nights out just because my friends would hand them to me. And sometimes on breaks from work. Never craved them. Can some people just not get addicted to them..?

Smoking every now and then is a lot different to smoking every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Most people's reason for smoking is describing the physical affects of addiction to smoking. That's just a bi-product of what's going on deep within your noodle. It's like being in love my hole. Sad man to compare it to love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Smokers are jokers.

True story.

I think so. I've smoked more than every now and again for the last 2 years and even still I could drop them without any problems whatsoever and have done so for months at a time since then..

I've never been addicted to anything though, really. Some people just don't have addictive personalities? I really don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Most people's reason for smoking is describing the physical affects of addiction to smoking. That's just a bi-product of what's going on deep within your noodle. It's like being in love my hole. Sad man to compare it to love.

maybe his bird is Smokin Hot. :D

coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

• Cigarettes are very expensive.
    So are quite a lot of things I enjoy. If I couldn't afford going to music gigs, I wouldn't but I can and I enjoy them so I do. Same with smoking. If I couldn't afford it I wouldn't do it, but I can so I do.
    [*]Smoking causes cancer and can kill you.
    This is true. Surfing and rally driving could also kill me. If I was to avoid doing anything that could kill me I would be very very bored. I'm aware of the risks of the things I do, some I am willing to except.
    [*]Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink, not attractive.
    I quite enjoy the taste of nice tobacco. I did even when I haven't smoked. Taste is subjective. I find the taste of Coca-cola disgusting for instance. It doesn't seem to negatively effect me in the attractiveness stakes. I do ok for myself. But again it's subjective, I find 'curvy' girls very unattractive for instance, others love them.
    [*]Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.
    My teeth or fingers are not yellow and I smoke everyday. The way I hold the smoke means the smoke doesn't run along my fingers and my toothpaste seems to do a perfect job of keeping my teeth pearly white.
    [*]Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up.
    It can, but I only smoke outside, so it doesn't.
    [*]Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.
    I find that gravelly voice quite sexy on girls. Presumably some girls have no problem with it on guys. Back to taste being subjective.
    [*]You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.
    I have no problem with the cold. It rarely gets that cold in Ireland. Try living in Northern Canada for a while, you'll know all about cold. But on most nights out I find it's the non-smokers that end up outside with all the smokers. Let's be honest, they know where the fun crowd are gonna be hanging out.
    [*]Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette.
    I can, with no problems whatsoever. For people that can't there are nicorrette style products.

[*]Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette.
    I can, with no problems whatsoever. But I also really really enjoy having a smoke after a nice meal in a restaurant, I find it adds to the experience as a whole and really missed it in times when I didn't smoke. I find it breaks up the experience quite well. The most enjoyable smoke is just after a nice meal in a restaurant. "MMmmmmm satisfying"

So even after all these reasons why do people still smoke?

Well I have explained how these reasons don't really come in to it for me. Why do I smoke, probably for the same reason some people eat chocolate cakes, or drink alcohol or do any other number of things that have downsides. I enjoy it. It gives me pleasure. I hope this has been educational for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

To become physically addicted to any substance you need to take it consistently – like on a daily basis – for several weeks, though you could develop a psychological addiction before this.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    To become physically addicted to any substance you need to take it consistently – like on a daily basis – for several weeks, though you could develop a psychological addiction before this.

Is nicotine addictive to literally everyone? (Genuine question btw.)

I have smoked consistently on a daily basis for a few months at a time and still had no problem going cold turkey for months without thinking about it. I wonder why some are seemingly immune and others aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

From personal experience, no.

I'm a smoker, and have been smoking for 5 years. At times I’ve gone well over a week without a cigarette but I’ve never experienced any feeling of withdrwal.

It’s purely a psychological thing for me but, unfortunately, this is by far the harder part of addiction to get past.

I have smoked consistently on a daily basis for a few months at a time and still had no problem going cold turkey for months without thinking about it. I wonder why some are seemingly immune and others aren't.

You may lack the nicotine receptors, in your brain, necessary for addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

*Cigarettes are very expensive

yup.. also full of chemicals n rather disgusting once you develop a taste for roll yer own

*Smoking causes cancer and can kill you

yes, it can cause cancer. which can kill you..

*Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink

suppose..

*Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour

as smoke pours out of em due to the arsenic they burn quicker so you'll smoke another one asap i suspect - n likely buy more sooner rather than later.. theyre disgusting alright. my fingers n teeth are fine. rollies ftw

*Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up

non-smokers are way too sensitive to smells. which worries me! lynx is much more toxic i reckon.. if someone's been using it tend to spray smoke around, to mask the smell.

*Cigarettes give you a disgusting horse voice

a night out's all that has ever had that effect on me

*You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out

yup, sucks. 10yr ago and beyond smoking was very much a part of pub etiquette.. why can't we have smoking areas or something akin to hookah bars? or some sort of public house dedicated to smoking

*Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette

really?! i should quit! wouldn't want to spoil my enjoyment.. of that bus journey

*Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette

meal's done; dusted. enjoyed - time for a quick burn.

So even after all these reasons why do people still smoke? i think people get turned on to cigarettes in their early teens for the most part when offered one by a friend.. resistance training will combat the effects some whilst reminding you how they've reduced that capacity of ur lungs. but when yer fit as a fiddle otherwise then **** it eh? look at all em premiership players who smoke, rooney cole berbatov lampard to name a few.. its the done thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Sure why does anyone want to do anything that they know is bad for them?

Addiction, boredom, habit, various other definitions....

Advertisement