Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people even smoke cigarettes?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Now I have smoked a few cigarettes in my time but only for reasons to fit in with a group maybe on a night out when I was absolutely hammered, don't know why I felt the need to fit in that way, I was young but even then I didn't enjoy it. There are so many reasons not to do it and not enough reasons to do it so why do people smoke cigarettes when:
    • Cigarettes are very expensive.
    • Smoking causes cancer and can kill you.
    • Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink, not attractive.
    • Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.
    • Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up.
    • Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.
    • You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.
    • Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette.
    • Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette.

So even after all these reasons why do people still smoke?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Because they are addictive.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because they look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Nicotine.

And, you must be smoking something if you are picturing a cabbage making horse noises. Neeeigh.
    Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Because smoking a kipper would just look silly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

You can flick one into a dudes eye, then throw him off a building while music plays.*

How badass is that.

*Idea copyright SB movies Inc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Because we're cool, nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Smoking forum will tell you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

If you believe in Freuds theory of oral fixation, then cigarettes fit the bill. Because they're so highly addicitve, it's hard to stop.

I'm off them two weeks myself. :) Now I'm off to the coffeeshop to smoke another joint, and pat myself on the back for beating the ciggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Because either consciously or unconsciously they have low self-esteem to some extent. Who would knowingly kill themselves, while making it so obvious for the world to see?

I'm an ex-smoker, and thought the same thing when I did smoke. This isn't some born again, ex-smoker health freak rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

is that "stop smoking" ad there by coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I've never been able to get addicted! God knows I tried when I was wee :pac:

Use to always bring a pack out on a night and only smoke one or two when intoxicated. Actually ended up giving away alot of them......no wonder smokers liked to hang out with me :eek::eek::eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

• Cigarettes are very expensive.
    No they're not, they're heavily taxed, there's a big difference.
    [*]Smoking causes cancer and can kill you.
    Everything causes cancer and your going to die regardless.
    [*]Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink, not attractive.
    [*]Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.
    These are purely subjective, you've had the anti smoking propaganda burnt into your brain and now find smoking repulsive when really it shouldn't mean anything to you either way. When smoking was cool everyone found it very attractive. Your dealing in fads and fashion.
    [*]Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up.
    I'd rather smell of smoke than rancid chemical spray.
    [*]Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.
    Complete nonsense, the smokers deep voice is regarded as sexy. This is just fact.
    [*]You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.
    I don't have to I'm forced outside by nonsense like this.
    [*]Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette.
    There's nothing enjoyable about being stuck on a plane. Bus and train are slightly more enjoyable because there's something to look at out the window but public transport is not enjoyable.
    [*]Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette.
    :confused: I can enjoy an meal and go out and smoke what's your point?
    I smoke purely to annoy people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

There's a perverse enjoyment in a good smoke, I love getting sat down with a cup of tea or cofee and sparking one up, I like on a cold but bright day going out the front of my house with a chair and sitting up having a couple of fags talking to the neighbours, I like standing outside with my work collogues having a good sociable smoke, I like getting a good pint sat down in a smoking area or a beer garden, in general I like chatting to people standing outside a hotel as the conversation seems to be easier there than sat at our own tables inside, even something simple like getting a loose or a spark of a lighter when you don't have one gets the ball rolling.

I know they are doing me harm, I know they are expensive, but I enjoy them in away that's almost worth the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

biko wrote: »
    The Smoking forum will tell you :)

Sorry Biko - this type of thread is contrary to the Smoking forum's charter. Back to you.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

G'dammit

Yeah that's cool, we'll continue in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That was quick! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am off cigarettes a couple of months now and sometimes wonder the same thing. Then I remember how it feels to have one with coffee after a meal or how it feels to have one when you are stressed, or to help you concentrate etc etc. People who never smoked have no concept of this. Just don't even bother trying to understand it's a waste of time for everyone. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Hey it's thread tennis!
    Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Because either consciously or unconsciously they have low self-esteem to some extent. Who would knowingly kill themselves, while making it so obvious for the world to see?

I'm an ex-smoker, and thought the same thing when I did smoke. This isn't some born again, ex-smoker health freak rant.

No not the ex-smoker health freak rant. It is the superior ex-smoker rant.

Pfft, know your rants. :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Smoking in the immediate term helps you concentrate, control anxiety, and stay rational. It also stimulates you, and relieves constipation.

However it makes you more anxious and less rational when you stop smoking (within hours - the more addicted you are, the shorter the time). If you stop for longer (days to weeks) your concentration level might be non-existent for a while too.

So you smoke more.

I disagree with the villification of smokers. Smoking helps stay rational and controlled. You might just as well villify people for not smoking: "How dare people not smoke - they are liable to lose control and hurt people, they can't concentrate properly or remember things as well, so they are unable to contribute as much to society." etc

If you're not blowing smoke in people's faces, then the only person whose business it is whether you smoke or not is you yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    No they're not, they're heavily taxed, there's a big difference.

Not to your pocket there's not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Used to smoke and can understand why people do. It's rather a sociable habit while being anti-social.... If that makes sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Cigarettes are very expensive. So is alcohol
    • Smoking causes cancer and can kill you. Drink can cause many more problems
    • Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink, not attractive. Drink smells like piss and makes you act like a fool
    • Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.Wine leaves your teeth/lips dark red/purple
    • Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up. Drink smells just as bad if not worse
    • Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.Drink makes you stupid
    • You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.Drink makes coldness less bitter
    • Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette. depends on person
    • Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette. depends on person

so why do people drink? Because people enjoy it and see it as a pleasure.

These threads have been done and done and done to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I can't seem to get addicted to them. They're very much something I can take or leave.

I'm pretty sure for me it's an oral fixation (calm yerselves :p) thing when I do smoke just fags though. Reminds me of a pacifier (or whatever they're called in Ireland, I forget) for adults. Soothing. I used to grab a long piece of string and tie knots in it using my tongue to keep me busy, or have a big bowl of sunflower seeds at my desk while working at the computer.. smoking seems to fit the same bill.

That said, I only have fags when I'm with people, or really stressed out (which is incredibly rare). A pack could sit in front of me for weeks and I wouldn't touch it. Weed I have daily but have never had addiction issues with that either.

The smell does piss me off though, my housemate's a regular smoker and it's impossible to keep clothes smelling nice in this damn house.

Everything can kill you these days, smokes are just another on a long list. I doubt it'll be what kills me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Because they trigger reward centres in the brain and I need them to stop me killing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i smoke cos when it's windy and cold and i've my collar up, and i squint in just the right way i look like james dean. :cool:

now, come on, tell me seriously that's not worth lung cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Pookah wrote: »
    If you believe in Freuds theory of oral fixation, then cigarettes fit the bill. Because they're so highly addicitve, it's hard to stop.

Freud :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They can go for breaks from work as often as they like. I used to work with a girl who did practically nothing all day and went for a cigarette break every half hour. I got sick of it one day and said "I'm going to take a break for a few minutes". The manager said "OK" and gave me a weird look. He had no problem with the girl disappearing every half hour though.

They also get to litter the environment by throwing butts all over the streets. If anyone else threw their rubbish around the streets they'd be seen as disgusting. When a smoker does it it's alright though because they feel they're entitled to "smokers rights".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I smoke and I wouldn't start a thread about it, why have you such an interest in other people’s habits?

Your "reasons not to smoke" are nothing new, all smokers know these things, and – for me personally- in regarding to the health risks, I’ve thought about them and decided that I enjoy smoking enough to take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

People smoke because they enjoy it. Non-smokers think that it's just because they're addicted but that's not the case (at least not for everyone). Many savour the smell, relish the taste and enjoy the buzz that it gives.

Smokers enjoy the camaraderie they can share with other smokers. Going out for a fag. Sneaking out for a quick smoke. It's a sociable thing, it's no secret that generally the smoking section is the liveliest part of a pub.

Even when alone, people enjoy smoking as it gives you an excuse to go outside, get some fresh air (along with some fresh smoke) get away from it all, just for a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Because they look cool.

Super Cool with Yellow Teeth, Smelly Breath and Black Lungs. Hi my name is NICO!

Advertisement