Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people even smoke cigarettes?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Because they are retarded.

Flame inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Now I have smoked a few cigarettes in my time but only for reasons to fit in with a group maybe on a night out when I was absolutely hammered, don't know why I felt the need to fit in that way, I was young but even then I didn't enjoy it. There are so many reasons not to do it and not enough reasons to do it so why do people smoke cigarettes when:
    • Cigarettes are very expensive.
    • Smoking causes cancer and can kill you.
    • Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink, not attractive.
    • Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.
    • Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up.
    • Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.
    • You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.
    • Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette.
    • Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette.

So even after all these reasons why do people still smoke?

Couldn't agree more. Especially people starting off nowadays when they know all the risks. It doesn't make sense. And it doesn't look cool.
    It's mainly guys that smoke, they seem to think girls will think they're cool, but in reality most girls hate them. Who wants to kiss smoker breath :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Why do people drink alcohol when we know it's bad for us?
    Why do people eat unhealthily when we know its bad for us?
    Why do people partake in dangerous sports/activities when we know its bad for us?

etc.
    etc.

Answer: Because they enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I'm an ex-smoker. But I do own several e-cigarettes, big and small. And about 30 different flavors of liquid.

Why do people smoke? Because its wonderful. Its a stimulant.

Same reason I enjoy a cup of coffee and a pint and some chocolate.

It is also very social, usually, I will meet several people while out smoking somewhere and end up chatting thru the night with them, I wouldnt do that if i wasnt. Call me introvert but I dont think thats true.

Life is short, and it will kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Now I have smoked a few cigarettes in my time but only for reasons to fit in with a group maybe on a night out when I was absolutely hammered, don't know why I felt the need to fit in that way, I was young but even then I didn't enjoy it. There are so many reasons not to do it and not enough reasons to do it so why do people smoke cigarettes when:
    • Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.
    • Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.
    • You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.
    • Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette.
    • Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette.

Cause combined with a liter of coffe it keeps me awake when working in gale/storm force winds in the Nort sea.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Star Bingo wrote: »
    bill would immerse himself in cigarette smoke just look at that still at 1:20 its no surprise he died from cancer. wonder if some form of karma was at play here, just i don't recall if he was cracking those puns prior to the discovery as he was after it

Karma? Was he such a terrible person that he deserved pancreatic cancer at a ridiculously young age? He had actually given up smoking by the time he was diagnosed but apparently, because he punned and made jokes about smoking, it was karma. Bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Who wants to kiss smoker breath :pac:

who wants to kiss eater breath. who wants to kiss drinker breath. particularly w/ the dehyration factor in my experience the worst cause of bad breath

tbh i don't wanna kiss cigarette breath either, am convinced they stink more than rollies n not really suprised they got banned indoors as most seem favour them n they give out lots more/nastier smoke.. i mean it really does pour out of the things til they've burned emselves out.. 3min or thereabouts? by which time you're expected to have smoked it all n moved onto the next.. a rollup lasts about an hour for me with very little air pollution in comparison, almost non existent. but we're not allowed smoke them either :( i still have a sneaky puff. undetected thus far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Star Bingo wrote: »
    who wants to kiss eater breath. who wants to kiss drinker breath. particularly w/ the dehyration factor in my experience the worst cause of bad breath

tbh i don't wanna kiss cigarette breath either, am convinced they stink more than rollies n not really suprised they got banned indoors as most seem favour them n they give out lots more/nastier smoke.. i mean it really does pour out of the things til they've burned emselves out.. 3min or thereabouts? by which time you're expected to have smoked it all n moved onto the next.. a rollup lasts about an hour for me with very little air pollution in comparison, almost non existent. but we're not allowed smoke them either :( i still have a sneaky puff. undetected thus far!

You're not allowed to smoke rollies? :eek:

I smoked a lot of rollies in pub/club smoking areas. Whoops. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Couldn't agree more. Especially people starting off nowadays when they know all the risks. It doesn't make sense. And it doesn't look cool.
    It's mainly guys that smoke, they seem to think girls will think they're cool, but in reality most girls hate them. Who wants to kiss smoker breath :pac:
    According to the WHO, the proportions of male and female smokers in Ireland are 34% and 28%, so your assertion that men make up the significant majority is well off.

And please tell me who I'm trying to impress when I go out the back garden of my empty house to have a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i demand dedicated smoking emporiums, free of pork and alcohol where people can congregate and smoke their brains out!!

we are ****ing backwards here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My story:

Did not smoke until I was 18 in 1971, within a week of my first sig, I bought my first pack.

I could go a week, two, three or even a month without a smoke. Rarely smoked before lunch and never considered myself addicted.

One day I got a chest infection, a bad one, I insisted on smoking, in the bus home I lit a pack of ten sigs and violently coughed, angrilly stamping a full fag out on the floor.

My chest was heaving and there I was insisting on smoking. Incredible, I never thought I was addicted, this proven that I was. Those were my last fags, but more than thirty years on, I still look for a fag ~ weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sisko wrote: »
    Well I thought the euphoria and relaxation part was from the satisfaction of satisfying the addiction.
    It's believed to be due to increased levels of dopamine in "reward" areas of the brain.
    I'll stick to my cuppa tea anyways.

Good aul caffeine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

an impressive list Challengemaster. Though i doubt that there is much Ambergris Tincture in cigs though. Considering the number of sperm whales vs number of cigs smoked planet wide each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hmm, must be "abuse the smokers" day. I smoke for 2 reasons:

1. It seems to annoy you OTT anti-smoker opinionists that I enjoy a smoke. Your google "facts" aren't going to instantly make us go: "Hang on a minute................you're right!!!!"

And

2. It's none of your goddamn business, go pester some fat people on why they eat so much.

Since you're high up on that horse let the rest of us know when it starts raining, I'll be able to have a quick smoke before hand :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

What a stupid answer. NOBODY smokes because they want to.

Jesus I almost choked on my cigarette from laughing so much at this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

comprehensive explanation for OP re:smoking .....quite funny too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Originally Posted by fakearms123 View Post

* Cigarettes are very expensive. So is alcohol
    * Smoking causes cancer and can kill you. Drink can cause many more problems
    * Cigarettes taste horrible and make your breath stink, not attractive. Drink smells like piss and makes you act like a fool
    * Cigarettes leave your fingers and teeth a yellow colour, again not attractive.Wine leaves your teeth/lips dark red/purple
    * Smoke can stink up your clothes, lynx does not cover it up. Drink smells just as bad if not worse
    * Cigarettes give you a digusting horse voice, it's what I'd imagine a cabbage to sound like if it could talk.Drink makes you stupid
    * You have to go out into the cold or rain if your smoking on a night out, unless the beer garden is heated, even then its still cold.Drink makes coldness less bitter
    * Smokers can't enjoy a bus/train/plane journey without getting all twitchy over their next cigarette. depends on person
    * Smokers can't enjoy a meal in a restaurant without heading outside for a quick cigarette. depends on person

so why do people drink? Because people enjoy it and see it as a pleasure.

These threads have been done and done and done to death.

Notice that this thread is called "why do people even smoke cigarettes?" not "why do people even drink alcohol?", changing the subject doesn't win you the argument, in reality you didn't even answer any of the questions so I don't know why your being thanked. Trying to justify that drinking is just as bad as smoking doesn't even touch on any of the questions above. You actually come across very childish here.

ScumLord wrote: »
    No they're not, they're heavily taxed, there's a big difference.

Everything causes cancer and your going to die regardless.

These are purely subjective, you've had the anti smoking propaganda burnt into your brain and now find smoking repulsive when really it shouldn't mean anything to you either way. When smoking was cool everyone found it very attractive. Your dealing in fads and fashion.

I'd rather smell of smoke than rancid chemical spray.

Complete nonsense, the smokers deep voice is regarded as sexy. This is just fact.

I don't have to I'm forced outside by nonsense like this.
    There's nothing enjoyable about being stuck on a plane. Bus and train are slightly more enjoyable because there's something to look at out the window but public transport is not enjoyable.
    :confused: I can enjoy an meal and go out and smoke what's your point?

I smoke purely to annoy people like you.

Again I don't know how you got so many thanks for these answers, they are rubbish answers. From saying they're not expensive they're just heavily taxed is just stupid, your still paying a lot of money for a pack of the stuff in the end. Then you go on to say everything causes cancer... do lollipops cause cancer?? :confused: what about fruit, does fruit cause cancer?? Then you say that we're going to die regardless, i'll tell you what I'd rather, i'd rather die at the age of 90 and being alive to see my children and my grandchildren grow up and achieve their dreams and be there for them in the dark times as a guide.

I'd also rather smell like lynx "rancid chemical spray" than cigarette smoke but that's just me I guess :rolleyes:, I wonder why armani haven't come out with a tobacco scent :confused:

And yeah there's nothing sexier than a nice deep coughy smokers voice :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And if you smoke purely to annoy people like me, then you are a giant tool and a douchbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

weemcd wrote: »
    There's a perverse enjoyment in a good smoke, I love getting sat down with a cup of tea or cofee and sparking one up, I like on a cold but bright day going out the front of my house with a chair and sitting up having a couple of fags talking to the neighbours, I like standing outside with my work collogues having a good sociable smoke, I like getting a good pint sat down in a smoking area or a beer garden, in general I like chatting to people standing outside a hotel as the conversation seems to be easier there than sat at our own tables inside, even something simple like getting a loose or a spark of a lighter when you don't have one gets the ball rolling.

I know they are doing me harm, I know they are expensive, but I enjoy them in away that's almost worth the cost

I think this what they call an oxymoron

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

And if you smoke purely to annoy people like me, then you are a giant tool and a douchbag.

/Gets popcorn

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<rambling bull****>

Why do you care if people smoke?
    I don't know why non-smokers like you rant constantly about smoking, but guess what?
    I don't give a crap

Plenty of smokers on here claiming that their habit does no harm to anyone but themselves and therefore is no one else's business but theirs.

This is true in the short term.

Every day I see hospital wards full of people suffering from smoking related diseases, which btw are more than just the various cancers that smoking causes. A brief list off the top of my head would include coronary artery disease, cerebral arteriosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease, COPD and many more too numerous to mention.

Treating these patients costs millions and consumes limited hospital resources.

If you want to smoke in your own home to ensure that it's noone's business but yours that's fine, but when the toxic effects of smoking eventually catch up with you, you'll have to die in your own home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

If you want to smoke in your own home to ensure that it's noone's business but yours that's fine, but when the toxic effects of smoking eventually catch up with you, you'll have to die in your own home too.

Hey, I'll die wherever I want to die!:mad::pac:

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Why do you care if people smoke?
    I don't know why non-smokers like you rant constantly about smoking, but guess what?
    I don't give a crap

I don't care if people smoke, I just want to know the true answer to why they smoke, a lot of people aren't actually answering the question instead they are telling me how other things are also bad like "yes, smoking can kill you but so does sky-diving and rock climbing"... that's the real bullsh*t, no one rock climbs 20 times a day, it like saying "well yeah smoking can kill you but so can stabbing yourself in the face with a butter knife, so I guess I'm allowed to take the risk", trying to justify smoking by comparing it to something extreme is the bullsh*t, I just want to know the real reason why people smoke...
    is it to be cool, to fit in, to relieve stress...they're the real answers i want to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Treating these patients costs millions and consumes limited hospital resources.
    How lucky that smokers have paid all that extra tax then.

kylith wrote: »
    How lucky that smokers have paid all that extra tax then.

Studies in the U.S. have found that the healthcare costs per pack of cigarettes sold can be as high as $41 per pack, far outstripping any tax revenue generated.

Although arguments have been made that by dying so much younger, smokers save the state money by not drawing a pension for very long.

So well done smokers, do the state a service and keep dying young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I don't care if people smoke, I just want to know the true answer to why they smoke, a lot of people aren't actually answering the question instead they are telling me how other things are also bad like "yes, smoking can kill you but so does sky-diving and rock climbing"... that's the real bullsh*t, no one rock climbs 20 times a day, it like saying "well yeah smoking can kill you but so can stabbing yourself in the face with a butter knife, so I guess I'm allowed to take the risk", trying to justify smoking by comparing it to something extreme is the bullsh*t, I just want to know the real reason why people smoke...
    is it to be cool, to fit in, to relieve stress...they're the real answers i want to hear

Plenty of people have answered that question if you had bothered to read the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Because, taking them out for walks, bathing them, and stroking them is crap!

just not the same enjoyment, so I smoke em!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Plenty of people have answered that question if you had bothered to read the thread

I posted the thread so yes I have read it, notice that I said "a lot of people" and not "every person", your grasping at straws there Kaiser Chief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Hate everything about cigarettes, and I pity smokers as I see them as people who need help!

</ end of random offensive post
    < start feeling better>

Nice! :D

Advertisement