Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City constituency

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

allimac wrote: »
    What's outlandish or embarrassing about Keily's starements?There are a lot of working class Limerick people who agree with the sentiments of his statement that foreigners are abusing the social welfare system and I hope that they come out to support him in numbers.He was forced to withdraw his remarks by Enda Kenny and that is probably why he is running as an independent. "The people I am talking about are the people who are abusing our lucrative social welfare system and who are flying in here from EU countries and who have no interest in obtaining employment here. I have no issue with those who have been in this country for a number of years and who are entitled to claim benefits" I for one cannot see anything either outlandish or embarrassing about this statement.

Those comments were extremely embarrassing. I couldn't believe someone could be so stupid but that's water under the bridge now and I think he learned his lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

liammur wrote: »
    Those comments were extremely embarrassing. I couldn't believe someone could be so stupid but that's water under the bridge now and I think he learned his lesson.
    You mean so stupid as to say what he and most Limerick people and politicians I suspect,think but are afraid to utter for fear of being branded racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You mean so stupid as to say what he and most Limerick people and politicians I suspect,think but are afraid to utter for fear of being branded racist?

The system is fairly impossible to abuse. Those who think it is being abused need to research more before speaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

What's outlandish or embarrassing about Keily's starements?There are a lot of working class Limerick people who agree with the sentiments of his statement
    What's outlandish or embarrassing about Keily's starements?

I presume you also agree with his wish for people to sweep the streets for their social welfare payments?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfauojcwaukf/rss2/

or the restoration of the death penalty?

Publicity grabbing statements that have little to do with the most serious issues now affecting our country.

Its like he is trying to make policy out of pub talk down in Kinsella's bar.

What have all his statements got in common.....answer....there is not a snowballs chance in hell that they will ever happen. Its much easier for Kiely to come out with this top of the head stuff than try work out plans on how to deal with things such as unemployment, the health service, emigration etc.

BTW I am a working class Limerick person and you should not automatically assume that we will fall for populist pub talk masquerade as serious political policy.

If Kiely has an issue with social welfare abuse he has only to look around at some of the Irish in his own constituency, some of them having never worked a day in their life. I know as I live in the constituency. But of course its much easier for Kevin Kiely to blame "Dem Foreigners".
    He was forced to withdraw his remarks by Enda Kenny and that is probably why he is running as an independent.

Ammm No.

Read tonights Limerick Leader. FG had to decided to run two candidates in Limerick City. Kiely put his name forward to compete against the two sitting FG Tds. On the day of the convention Kiely failed to turn up & sent a letter withdrawing his application. Then weeks later Kiely started demanding that FG add him as a third candidate to the the FG ticket. FG refused to change the plan and add him. Thats why Kiely is now running as an independent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

RonMexico wrote: »
    I don't get why I was quoted above Liam?

Because of the reference to Maurice Quinlivan and the way it tied in to O'Dea's despicable tactics, which hopefully the Limerick voters won't forget.

I can't stand SF, but I like dirty tricks and people getting away with them even less.

No reflection on you or your post intended.

I presume you also agree with his wish for people to sweep the streets for their social welfare payments?

or the restoration of the death penalty?

Publicity grabbing statements that have little to do with the most serious issues now affecting our country.

Its like he is trying to make policy out of pub talk down in Kinsella's bar.

What have all his statements got in common.....answer....there is not a snowballs chance in hell that they will ever happen. Its much easier for Kiely to come out with this top of the head stuff than try work out plans on how to deal with things such as unemployment, the health service, emigration etc.

BTW I am a working class Limerick person and you should not automatically assume that we will fall for populist pub talk masquerade as serious political policy.

If Kiely has an issue with social welfare abuse he has only to look around at some of the Irish in his own constituency, some of them having never worked a day in their life. I know as I live in the constituency. But of course its much easier for Kevin Kiely to blame "Dem Foreigners".

Ammm No.

Read tonights Limerick Leader. FG had to decided to run two candidates in Limerick City. Kiely put his name forward to compete against the two sitting FG Tds. On the day of the convention Kiely failed to turn up & sent a letter withdrawing his application. Then weeks later Kiely started demanding that FG add him as a third candidate to the the FG ticket. FG refused to change the plan and add him. Thats why Kiely is now running as an independent.
    "populist pub talk" Well god forbid that a politician in this country would consider doing what the electorate might want them to do.Concerning the issue of people working for their dole payments and the death penalty issue I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there that are in agreement with Kiely's sentiments even if you are not.Finally I don;t have any idea how the selection process for political parties works,I had just assumed that Kiely had fallen out with fine gael over the immigration issue

"populist pub talk" Well god forbid that a politician in this country would consider doing what the electorate might want them to do.Concerning the issue of people working for their dole payments and the death penalty issue I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there that are in agreement with Kiely's sentiments even if you are not.Finally I don;t have any idea how the selection process for political parties works,I had just assumed that Kiely had fallen out with fine gael over the immigration issue

Swamping pints for Ireland.

wife: "your drunk again"

Self: "It was for Ireland. We were formulating policy down in Kinsella's"

Give people what they want? hmmm, lets see now ....I'd like full pay for working three days a week, a pay increase , an extra weeks holidays, deportation of any body over six feet tall & what ever you are having yourself. Oh, & I'd like the guy who stole my car publicly flogged.

But sure look, maybe when Kevin is finished with the deportations, hangings, forced labour etc he might ask the lads down in Kinsella's pub what their views are on the health service, unemployment, emigration, reduction in the minimum wage etc. You know, the little things that affect most of us on a daily basis. I am really, really loking forward to reading Kevin's election manifesto and I would walk on broken glass just to hear him debating with the other politicians. :)

Swamping pints for Ireland.

wife: "your drunk again"

Self: "It was for Ireland. We were formulating policy down in Kinsella's"

Give people what they want? hmmm, lets see now ....I'd like full pay for working three days a week, a pay increase , an extra weeks holidays, deportation of any body over six feet tall & what ever you are having yourself. Oh, & I'd like the guy who stole my car publicly flogged.

But sure look, maybe when Kevin is finished with the deportations, hangings, forced labour etc he might ask the lads down in Kinsella's pub what their views are on the health service, unemployment, emigration, reduction in the minimum wage etc. You know, the little things that affect most of us on a daily basis. I am really, really loking forward to reading Kevin's election manifesto and I would walk on broken glass just to hear him debating with the other politicians. :)
    Ok,so you object to the notion of people doing some work for their social welfare payments(forced labour as you call it)but you also have a big issue with people who never worked a day in their life?As for hangings,If you gave me a choice between looking at murderers walking the streets of Limerick or the death penalty then there would be no choice at all.Hopefully we'll hear soon what Kiely's policies/manifesto are as I would also like to hear him in a debate.

Nowhere in the article you linked to does it mention abuse by foreign nationals. I fail to see how anyone would be branded racist for giving out about welfare abuse in general, however, Kiely specifically targeted the grossly exaggerated myth of foreign national welfare abuse.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    Nowhere in the article you linked to does it mention abuse by foreign nationals. I fail to see how anyone would be branded racist for giving out about welfare abuse in general, however, Kiely specifically targeted the grossly exaggerated myth of foreign national welfare abuse.

+1

Setting one group of people against another by race has often ended in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is it too late for Mods to change the gen election poll? The Limerick City consitituency is called Limerick - East and is also over the wrong section of the county. And the Limerick County is called Limerick - West and is also over the wrong section of the county.

Gwan the blueshirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I overheard someone today saying that they were going to vote FF as were all their friends because they don't want Labour in power. :eek:

I tried to reason with them that they would be better off voting FG then in the hope that FG would get an overall majority.

They just didn't get it. Christ almighty.

Democracy just doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

ff and fg are the same who are they fooling,only difference is labour will get mre votes and sin fein,thats it,this same as foundation of irish state for last 90 years,all in it for there pockets,i have a sign at my place,if you leave leaflet here,then auto no vote,they can miss it,it in big black print on a sign :D i dont want too hear there crap

Too many foreign nationals were brought into this country imo. However, we can only blame ourselves for that. In places like Canada, they will issues visas for the people they need. We were probably looking for people to fill the houses, that's the difference. The mayor should have realised this.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is it too late for Mods to change the gen election poll? The Limerick City consitituency is called Limerick - East and is also over the wrong section of the county. And the Limerick County is called Limerick - West and is also over the wrong section of the county.

Gwan the blueshirts

I believe the Mods are right. Limerick East and Limerick West are gone, 3 new constituency names now?

ff and fg are the same who are they fooling,

What I'd like to know is who fooled you?

What I'd like to know is who fooled you?

bud,im never fooled by what they say,same old same as they say from them all

Too many foreign nationals were brought into this country imo. However, we can only blame ourselves for that. In places like Canada, they will issues visas for the people they need. We were probably looking for people to fill the houses, that's the difference. The mayor should have realised this.

foreign nationals specially from euro zone have nothing too do with the mess here,outside euro zone foreign nationals some affect

• Advertisement

Who are you going to vote for Kelticknightt, if you don't mind me asking?

foreign nationals specially from euro zone have nothing too do with the mess here,outside euro zone foreign nationals some affect

The problem is not to do with the foreigns nationals, but it was the government. There were never all these jobs that the government was pretending/thought there were. So they should never have been brought over.

Who are you going to vote for Kelticknightt, if you don't mind me asking?

the choice is poor as always as they all the same,havent made my mind up too be honest,will see what happens over next few weeks, and you

The problem is not to do with the foreigns nationals, but it was the government. There were never all these jobs that the government was pretending/thought there were. So they should never have been brought over.
    the problem is poor choices and what with banks and developers etc and bailing them out after wards,doesnt matter who gets in,will take along time too sort out

the problem is poor choices and what with banks and developers etc and bailing them out after wards,doesnt matter who gets in,will take along time too sort out

It will. But that's not the comparison you should be making.

What about the ones who let things get this way ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It will. But that's not the comparison you should be making.

What about the ones who let things get this way ?

do you really thing theres a difference between the 3 main party s ,i dont and many dont but just want a change
    only way there might have been a difference ,a real difference if all came together as national goverment for a year or 2 ,then,there be a change ,but not just swapping sides, this same as it was for last 50 years or more

do you really thing theres a difference between the 3 main party s ,i dont and many dont but just want a change
    only way there might have been a difference ,a real difference if all came together as national goverment for a year or 2 ,then,there be a change ,but not just swapping sides, this same as it was for last 50 years or more

I'd have no objection to the non-objectionable parties coming together, but I wouldn't have incompetents like FF in a national party! I mean, given that they completely blew the boom and supported corruption, what could they possibly bring to the equation ?

Anyone who hasn't condoned unacceptable stuff deserves a go; yes, we need better than that considering the mess, and yes, it's debatable as to whether it's on offer, but the least that we need is to get the most incompetent ones out and get rid of corruption.

What would make you think that FF have any talents that would make them useful at the table ?

And if they have those talents, why didn't they use them for the past 10 years ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd have no objection to the non-objectionable parties coming together, but I wouldn't have incompetents like FF in a national party! I mean, given that they completely blew the boom and supported corruption, what could they possibly bring to the equation ?

Anyone who hasn't condoned unacceptable stuff deserves a go; yes, we need better than that considering the mess, and yes, it's debatable as to whether it's on offer, but the least that we need is to get the most incompetent ones out and get rid of corruption.

What would make you think that FF have any talents that would make them useful at the table ?

And if they have those talents, why didn't they use them for the past 10 years ?
    dont agree,think from all party's should be involved,in a national government, otherwise ,be same old same old for last 60 years,ff,fg and labour,even other partys but aint going too happen ,so dont see any difference weather ff or fg or fg and labour,i left ireland in 80's because of fg/labour over taxing and bad policys then,even now ,dont see much difference,maybe a slight different slant on what each others says,but
    as soon as waht ever partys or party get in,they wont deliver,just more excuses and do different things,will either say it worse than we thought it was crap and do something else
    ,so for me there no difference,fooling yourself if you think 30 years on ,there will ,dont see any of other partys doing better at least right now,maybe in 10 years maybe
    hasn't changed sense the foundation of irish state,why would it change now because some new faces in each party.
    wait and see

dont agree,think from all party's should be involved,in a national government

You might not agree but I cannot see any logic in putting the crowd that caused this in positions where they can do further damage.
    dont see any of other partys doing better at least right now,maybe in 10 years maybe

Given the size of the mess, you could be right. In that case the important thing is to ensure that they don't do any worse, and logic would dictate that the ones that cause the mess would be - at least - more likely to do that.

• Advertisement

only way as has been said in media is politics in ireland needs too change for things too really change here,i dont see it in my life time,in all the partys i dont see it,,and if michael noonan is over finance again like in 80's when i had too leave when he crew up,then we all doomed again,also remember around that time too,the media and everyone was asking for national goverment then too as was no jobs ,beleive me it was worse in different ways then and got same answer from all then as now,i dont trust them now either ,if they pulled together too help the country as they claim,then there hope,i dont think it matters waht goverment is in,they would all jump too tune of banks and big business,simple greed and money is too much in irelands politics

Advertisement