Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City constituency

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

osarusan wrote: »
    What would you suggest they should have done?

Nothing is the simple answer. And anyone arguing otherwise is extremely limited.

Bertie ahern knew how to play the electorate, unions and public sector. Throw them a few crumbs while he ate the cake. A large % of people still faill to grasp this most basic point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ninty9er wrote: »
    I will. To be honest with my experience of him he is a good legislator, I know that he is up against it, but he is someone who I believe could constructively hold the next government to account.

He has been a part of an administration that presided over this, but it is unfortunate that younger members of the parliamentary party will lose their seats whilst the older tainted people will languish on the opposition benches for 10 years and then **** off to leave the electorate with no choice in the election then.

There is a guy in Louth called James Carroll who I've known for a number of years who should be allowed a clear run without the threat of Dermot Ahern standing for election and taking a seat that the people of Louth would be better served if James was in it.

There is a guy in Donegal called Brian O'Domhnaill who I met last weekend who is not happy with what has happened and is hell bent that politics needs fighters not observers.

There is a guy in Mayo called Dara Calleary whose seat is under threat but not necessarily from Beverly Flynn.

There is a guy in Cork called Michael McGrath who is shares his constituency with Micheal Martin and is under threat.

With all due respect to Micheal Martin, Brian Cowen, Mary Coughlan et al, they will not be seeking election in 10 years time, they should go now and allow people a better chance for election that have not been party to causing this crisis (or were on the periphery) the chance to sit in seats that they can utilise to hold the next government to account POSITIVELY and look to form a government in the future with different people to those who have been there.

An opposition is ALWAYS needed, and whilst there are certain things I would disagree with the opposition on, they are necessary and were they any good at it there would have been a change of government in 2007.

Politics should be positive not negative and it is the younger generation of politicians who can credibly provide this positivity that is so common overseas.

So without giving you a party political broadcast, that's how I see it.

I fundamentally disagree with your choice of party, notwithstanding the possibility of there being good people in it. I'm pretty sure Peter Power is honest and capable, but I'd like to know why he remains within a party that has inflicted so much damage unto Ireland.

However good Peter Power might be as individual, he has stood by while his party failed to regulate the banks/financial services and has since stood by while senior FF members lied repeatedly to the public about the State of the Nation's finances.

If neither of these events (and there's more I could list) are enough to make Peter Power leave FF, what would?

Really considering canvassing in this election, not for FF obviously (probably FG), just can't believe FF have managed to mess things up this badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

I will. To be honest with my experience of him he is a good legislator, I know that he is up against it, but he is someone who I believe could constructively hold the next government to account.

He has been a part of an administration that presided over this, but it is unfortunate that younger members of the parliamentary party will lose their seats whilst the older tainted people will languish on the opposition benches for 10 years and then **** off to leave the electorate with no choice in the election then.

There is a guy in Louth called James Carroll who I've known for a number of years who should be allowed a clear run without the threat of Dermot Ahern standing for election and taking a seat that the people of Louth would be better served if James was in it.

There is a guy in Donegal called Brian O'Domhnaill who I met last weekend who is not happy with what has happened and is hell bent that politics needs fighters not observers.

There is a guy in Mayo called Dara Calleary whose seat is under threat but not necessarily from Beverly Flynn.

There is a guy in Cork called Michael McGrath who is shares his constituency with Micheal Martin and is under threat.

With all due respect to Micheal Martin, Brian Cowen, Mary Coughlan et al, they will not be seeking election in 10 years time, they should go now and allow people a better chance for election that have not been party to causing this crisis (or were on the periphery) the chance to sit in seats that they can utilise to hold the next government to account POSITIVELY and look to form a government in the future with different people to those who have been there.

An opposition is ALWAYS needed, and whilst there are certain things I would disagree with the opposition on, they are necessary and were they any good at it there would have been a change of government in 2007.

Politics should be positive not negative and it is the younger generation of politicians who can credibly provide this positivity that is so common overseas.

So without giving you a party political broadcast, that's how I see it.

Give up the ghost buddy, they are all just a bunch of rats trying to get off the ship before it sinks.

Fianna Fail wont be in power after the next election for a very long time, and your only fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. The younger generation politicians think that if they get out now/oppose they may save face and hopefully get back into power with FF, not going to happen because the damage done is irreparable. Any FF member, no matter how good or bad they are, will be generalised and tarnished with the brush of being a thieving lying **** in my mind, because they stood by and watched the damage being inflicted by the other muppets in the government.

I suggest putting away your FF banner because your wasting your time going canvassing next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

99er

you mentioned all the able TD's in other parts of the country who will lose their seat while the established FF TD holds on his ...... surely you must count Peter Power and Willie O Dea into this

As the previous poster has said Peter Power has stood by and watched his party ruin the country .... for this reason he's toast and deserveably so

TheProdigy wrote: »
    Give up the ghost buddy, they are all just a bunch of rats trying to get off the ship before it sinks.

Fianna Fail wont be in power after the next election for a very long time, and your only fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. The younger generation politicians think that if they get out now/oppose they may save face and hopefully get back into power with FF, not going to happen because the damage done is irreparable. Any FF member, no matter how good or bad they are, will be generalised and tarnished with the brush of being a thieving lying **** in my mind, because they stood by and watched the damage being inflicted by the other muppets in the government.

I suggest putting away your FF banner because your wasting your time going canvassing next time around.

FF could easily end in power in 5 years time depending on how bad things get. You have to remember this is the third time FF have bankrupted Ireland (1930's, 1970/80's) and they've bounced back every time.

We know some form of FF will be about in 5 years time, let's hope it's neither the corrupt wing (Haughey, Aherne etc) or the idiot wing (Cowan, Lenihan etc) in charge by that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

He has been a part of an administration that presided over this

An Administration.

A random Administration of which you have heard is it?

- Peter Power is an Accountant or something mind numbing like that, he prefers being on treble the wage for a fifth of the effort, in my opinion, and will not swap paper cuts for political stardom, even though he is, in my opinion, utterly vacous in public office.

How he was ever elected is beyond the thinking Man and the Dogs in the Streets, I mean obviously Lying McTash Rash got the actual votes but surely there was some other Idiot to slot in there?

Personally I think Wayne Dundon should be considered as the next Prick in FFs repertoire - keep the standard consistent and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

FF could easily end in power in 5 years time depending on how bad things get. You have to remember this is the third time FF have bankrupted Ireland (1930's, 1970/80's) and they've bounced back every time.

I wouldn't feel that past circumstances are relevant to future elections because all are very different circumstances. Firstly none of the above situations were so devastating in such a modernised society where we are coming off a great deal of prosperity, which will never be witnessed again to the same extent. I would say that the reinstatement of them in 1930 was due to a high loyalty and affiliation to them after gaining autonomy, in the 70's/80's we were not in such a critical situation now as the IMF were never needed, and you can thank your lucky stars for that because if they were needed then we would probably be a very underdeveloped country like what happened to Brazil.

Nobody likes regression and the fact that Ireland will be going back to a non-prosperous society will stick with alot of people imo.

Saying that I do feel that there is one option to which FF could be re-elected, and that is if the current f**k ups attributed to them carry over to the next government and thus people would want further change. So technically the only chance FF have of getting re-elected imo is if they f**k up the country badly enough for the incoming government, and the scum look like they are doing an excellent job at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

liammur wrote: »
    No IDA jobs for Limerick since FF got into power in 1997 = No votes.

They deserve to be particularly hammered in both Limerick East and West.

I agree not enough jobs have been created in the region

but to say "No IDA jobs for Limerick since FF got into power in 1997" is completely untrue

after a quick search:

http://www.independent.ie/business/dell-confirms-3000-job-boost-for-limerick-and-bray-457876.html

http://www.idaireland.com/news-media/press-releases/75-new-jobs-for-limerick-/

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10007208.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

but to say "No IDA jobs for Limerick since FF got into power in 1997" is completely untrue

after a quick search:

http://www.independent.ie/business/dell-confirms-3000-job-boost-for-limerick-and-bray-457876.html

That is like two men in the desert, one of whom has a flask full of water and the other is dying of thirst. The man with the water is taking a leak and says to the man dying of thirst - "Crouch down there with your mouth open and..."

Yeah guess which one represents FF and which one represents Limerick. Of course as a long time Shill for FF I fully expect you will be back with more useless drivel from the party hymn sheet. Good to get a heads up on what O'Dea will be spluttering at the door soon though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Im looking forward to slamming the door in the face of anyone from FF trying to campaign :D

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    That is like two men in the desert, one of whom has a flask full of water and the other is dying of thirst. The man with the water is taking a leak and says to the man dying of thirst - "Crouch down there with your mouth open and..."

Yeah guess which one represents FF and which one represents Limerick. Of course as a long time Shill for FF I fully expect you will be back with more useless drivel from the party hymn sheet. Good to get a heads up on what O'Dea will be spluttering at the door soon though. Thanks.

:confused:

What are you on about ?
    Liam came out with statement that was untrue - I'm simply pointing out that fact.
    Are you saying Liam was correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Yeah, Cian Prendiville.

Nice guy who's sincere but not sure he has enough experience to be a TD.

http://en-gb.facebook.com/cian.sp

please explain, not enough experience ?, jeeze at least he is honost, now that is a rare complaint in a td, have you seen how quick they get their snouts in the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Raiser wrote: »
    An Administration.

A random Administration of which you have heard is it?

- Peter Power is was an Accountant solicitor or something mind numbing like that, he prefers being on treble the similar wage for a fifth of the a hell ofr a lot more effort, in my opinion, and will not swap paper cuts for political stardom, even though he is, in my opinion, utterly vacous in public office.

How he was ever elected is beyond the thinking Man and the Dogs in the Streets, I mean obviously Lying McTash Rash got the actual votes but surely there was some other Idiot to slot in there?

Personally I think Wayne Dundon should be considered as the next Prick in FFs repertoire - keep the standard consistent and all that.
    Have you looked around. Have you ever taken not of what goes on inside Leinster House? Do you think there's just Dáil and Seanad chamber and a bar? You need to seriously wake up to how our political system works. Quite a lot of proposed legislation comes though committee stage with representatives from ALL parties on them. He has been on The Transport Committee and chaired the Justice Committee as well as the Child Protection Committee reviewing the legislation surrounding statutory rape after the CC Case.

Calling someone who was deemed capable enough of that vacuous sugests you could look elsewhere to cast your aspersions.

He's been a legislator for just over 8 years. There are people there longer that you could accuse of doing much less. I'm not going to attack anyone, it up to them and their supporters to sell them to you, but you should look at the facts and not your own ill-informed idiocy in making your decisions.
    mitresize5 wrote: »
    As the previous poster has said Peter Power has stood by and watched his party ruin the country .... for this reason he's toast and deserveably so
    One of the problems that has been obvious over the past few weeks is that even the 4rd most senior minister in government isn't in the loop of power, how do you expect it from someone who has been a backbench TD for over 50% of their time in the Dáil. It's not an excuse, he should have been doing more, but in organisations decisions to support or not support what is beind done are taken by majority, in Fianna Fáil's case and other democratic parties in the Oireachtas this happens at Parliamentary Party meetings.

4 seats have to be filled before March. The list of candidates is relatively obvious at this point. Of them who would you have fill the seats and why?

I'm not going to attack anyone as being vacuous or useless without even going to the basic bother of finding out what their background is, but there are reasons to elect all candidates, but some outweigh others. There are reasons not to elect all of them, but negative politics has broken our political system so forget why people shouldn't be elected, tell me why others should be elected above them without using negative descriptors or positive descriptors that convey a negative message.

You'll find it difficult, but I reckon it's a worthwhile exercise.

after a quick search:

The funny thing is, a quick search or a thorough search will yield the same results - virtually nil. The only link there of any significance is the 3rd one, and it is on this basis we can say under 14 years of FF governance we got 300 IDA jobs, less than what many small towns got. What a disgrace.

The funny thing is, a quick search or a thorough search will yield the same results - virtually nil. The only link there of any significance is the 3rd one, and it is on this basis we can say under 14 years of FF governance we got 300 IDA jobs, less than what many small towns got. What a disgrace.

As I said it was a quick search, I know that Vistakon (2nd link) has more than tripled in size in the last 14 years and now employs nearly 700 people directly.

You've admitted that your original post was false, which was my point - thanks

As I said it was a quick search, I know that Vistakon (2nd link) has more than tripled in size in the last 14 years and now employs nearly 700 people directly.

You've admitted that your original post was false, which was my point - thanks

No, what I'm saying is this current government can't take any credit for jobs where a company that was already in the region prior to 1997 expands. Dell announced 50 jobs in 2008, surely we shouldn't be bowing to FF because of this? And we haven't seen any jobs since.
    They brought Northern Trust into the region, but unfortunately these companies were few and far between over 14 years of unprecedented growth, whereas Galway got companies like SAP/IBM/Boston Scientific (thousands alone)/Cisco/ etc.

Galway/Cork are booming, and above is the reason why.

flutered wrote: »
    please explain, not enough experience ?, jeeze at least he is honost, now that is a rare complaint in a td, have you seen how quick they get their snouts in the trough.

I just think anyone going for the Dail in their earlier 20's is massively short on real world experience, tbh. How is a guy in his early 20's really going to understand what it's like to be 50 and unemployed, or 40+ and unable to pay your mortgage etc.

No offence to Cian Prendiville, who I'm sure will give it every thing he has to do a good job, but at some point experience does count.

Like I said, I'd love to see him on the council gaining that experience.

I just think anyone going for the Dail in their earlier 20's is massively short on real world experience, tbh. How is a guy in his early 20's really going to understand what it's like to be 50 and unemployed, or 40+ and unable to pay your mortgage etc.

No offence to Cian Prendiville, who I'm sure will give it every thing he has to do a good job, but at some point experience does count.

Like I said, I'd love to see him on the council gaining that experience.

It's a double edged sword, the likes of willie o dea has all the experience in the world and we can honestly say he did nothing for middle class limerick. There have been practically no jobs for graduates in Limerick since 2000.
    I believe if you are good enough, you are old enough.

It's a double edged sword, the likes of willie o dea has all the experience in the world and we can honestly say he did nothing for middle class limerick. There have been practically no jobs for graduates in Limerick since 2000.
    I believe if you are good enough, you are old enough.

Maybe, the failure of Willie O'Dea is a mystery because he's (despite appearances) a very intelligent guy. I've no idea why he's been such an awful TD for Limerick.

Maybe, the failure of Willie O'Dea is a mystery because he's (despite appearances) a very intelligent guy. I've no idea why he's been such an awful TD for Limerick.

Does he even know he has been an outrageous flop?

But experience is certainly preferrable. I'd like to see Noonan and O Donnell get in, J O' Sullivan and whilst it would be great if FF got no seat it won't happen. I'd go for Power over O Dea.

• Advertisement

No, what I'm saying is this current government can't take any credit for jobs where a company that was already in the region prior to 1997 expands. Dell announced 50 jobs in 2008, surely we shouldn't be bowing to FF because of this? And we haven't seen any jobs since.
    They brought Northern Trust into the region, but unfortunately these companies were few and far between over 14 years of unprecedented growth, whereas Galway got companies like SAP/IBM/Boston Scientific (thousands alone)/Cisco/ etc.

Galway/Cork are booming, and above is the reason why.

I agree not enough jobs have been created in the region, that was the very first thing I said in this thread.

You started with
    No IDA jobs for Limerick since FF got into power in 1997

and then came out with
    we can say under 14 years of FF governance we got 300 IDA jobs,

The only point I was making was that what you originally stated was completely incorrect and you have confirmed that yourself.

I agree not enough jobs have been created in the region, that was the very first thing I said in this thread.

You started with

and then came out with

The only point I was making was that what you originally stated was completely incorrect and you have confirmed that yourself.

Limerick is a city of roughly 90,000 to 100,000, do you think the IDA have done enough to combat unemployment in Limerick? Lets be honest, 300 jobs for a city that size is a small number.

Imo, the IDA and FF have been a disaster for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick is a city of roughly 90,000 to 100,000, do you think the IDA have done enough to combat unemployment in Limerick? Lets be honest, 300 jobs for a city that size is a small number.

Imo, the IDA and FF have been a disaster for Limerick.

in fairness, all he's saying is that the post claiming that no IDA jobs had been created was wrong. Nothing else. He's not claiming that the IDA has done enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Have you looked around. Have you ever taken not of what goes on inside Leinster House? Do you think there's just Dáil and Seanad chamber and a bar? You need to seriously wake up to how our political system works. Quite a lot of proposed legislation comes though committee stage with representatives from ALL parties on them. He has been on The Transport Committee and chaired the Justice Committee as well as the Child Protection Committee reviewing the legislation surrounding statutory rape after the CC Case.

Calling someone who was deemed capable enough of that vacuous sugests you could look elsewhere to cast your aspersions.

LOL.

Do you think that People on here are that stupid? Your arguments are insulting not to me but to the People you were too slack to think up a decent piece of spin for.

- I understand Irish politics Junior - I understand that a bollock licking Spaniel could have gotten into power on Willie the Pub Grappler/Brothel Speculators free Ticket.

I am horrified to hear that FF has been legislating - I thought it was all bribes and dodgy dealing - Do you think that there will be a separate IMF bill to cover the cost of reversing their half arsed utterly botched legislation?

You started with

and then came out with

I know, but I didn't mean literally 'no' jobs, but for limerick city and county we've got practically no jobs. The county may literally have not got 1 job?You are correct in saying it isn't enough, all I want to do is highlight this issue to people who may not be aware of it. These are the jobs that all other sectors of the local economy are dependent upon.

Can the Mod's add a poll to this thread, will be interesting to see the votes go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can the Mod's add a poll to this thread, will be interesting to see the votes go.

Give me a list of options and I'll sort out a poll for ye. :)

Ok, going by parties.

Fianna Fail (O'Dea, Power)
    Fine Gael (Noonan, O'Donnell)
    Labour (O'Sullivan, Leddin)
    Sinn Fein (Quinlivan)
    Socialist Party (Prendiville)
    Independant
    Other

Or if there's space, just list all the candidates named so far.

(alphabetical)
    Leddin (Lab)
    Noonan (FG)
    O'Dea (FF)
    O'Donnell (FG)
    O'Sullivan (Lab)
    Power (FF)
    Prendiville (SP)
    Quinlivan (SF)

Other (name)

Looking at it, it'd probably be more instructive to have the individual rather than the party in the poll.

I don't know who's running for the green party, i thought it was going to be James Nix but heard he mightn't be going. (Pity imo, whatever about the green party, he'd be an excellent TD for Limerick)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Poll added, as per request: Leddin (Lab)
    Noonan (FG)
    O'Dea (FF)
    O'Donnell (FG)
    O'Sullivan (Lab)
    Power (FF)
    Prendiville (SP)
    Quinlivan (SF)

Other (name)

• Advertisement

Poll added, as per request: Leddin (Lab)
    Noonan (FG)
    O'Dea (FF)
    O'Donnell (FG)
    O'Sullivan (Lab)
    Power (FF)
    Prendiville (SP)
    Quinlivan (SF)

Other (name)

Good ideas folks. I like to post on the politics forum, but also local is good.
    We don't have high calibre canditates, but I'll go for labour i think.

Advertisement