Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City constituency

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Another 650 jobs for cork over the last 2 days. This is what we must tell the FF canvassers. They've treated us here in limerick very very badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Who was stupid enough to pick O'Dea? *Awaits predictable response from Bacon&Cabbage*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_East_(Dáil_Éireann_constituency)#2002_general_election

Interesting to look at the actual figures from previous elections. Kieran O'Donnell's first preferences are closer to O'Sullivans than I remember. A lot will depend on whether O'Dea's transfers can drag Power across the line, if O'Dea's vote is down Power will be in serious trouble.

Still don't see anything other than O'Dea, Noonan, O'Sullivan and O'Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

RonMexico wrote: »
    Who was stupid enough to pick O'Dea? *Awaits predictable response from Bacon&Cabbage*

I've never met the man nor did I ever vote for him in an election.

A significant amount of the of the threads here turn into general WOD bashing -thats what I find predictable
    It usually spoils any rational or constructive conversation.

I've never met the man nor did I ever vote for him in an election.

A significant amount of the of the threads here turn into general WOD bashing -thats what I find predictable
    It usually spoils any rational or constructive conversation.

What if people are rationally and constructively bashing O'Dea?

People don't bash because it's suddenly cool to dislike him, they dislike him because Fianna Fail have been a disaster for Ireland and O'Dea has been a disaster for Limerick.

I have plenty of rational reasons to criticise the guy.

• Advertisement

What if people are rationally and constructively bashing O'Dea?

Really ? Whats constructive or rational about Rons latest post ?
    People don't bash because it's suddenly cool to dislike him, they dislike him because Fianna Fail have been a disaster for Ireland and O'Dea has been a disaster for Limerick.
    I have plenty of rational reasons to criticise the guy.

...and I too have criticised him when I feel it's warranted, but there's never any balance, never a word about Noonan, JOS, Power or KOD, what have they achieved ?

Remember nearly 40% of the constituency gave him first preference in 2007, up over 12% from 2002, that has to count for something.

Remember nearly 40% of the constituency gave him first preference in 2007, up over 12% from 2002, that has to count for something.

You're right it does, it raises the standards O'Dea should be judged by. A lot of people back him and that makes his failure all the worse.

I don't know what you would criticise Noonan, JOS, or KOD for? They've been reasonably strong in their opposition to FF, they personally haven't been in power so they couldn't deliver any big projects to Limerick. I've never needed to go to them as my TD so i couldn't say if they've done much for individual constituents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Stupid because the man has been a dismal failure not to mention having to resign from his office in disgrace.

And I find it odd that you claim to have no connection to the man given your posting history on boards.

Stupid because the man has been a dismal failure not to mention having to resign from his office in disgrace.

Correct.

Noonan upgraded the hospital when he was minister and also got loads of companies like vistakon in.

Power i would be fairly sure will lose his seat, and quite rightly too, because like o dea, he has been a disaster for the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

interesting poll.will we have 2fg 1sf 1ff and no labour?

• Advertisement

liammur wrote: »
    Correct.

Noonan upgraded the hospital when he was minister and also got loads of companies like vistakon in.

Power i would be fairly sure will lose his seat, and quite rightly too, because like o dea, he has been a disaster for the region.

Incorrect, the funding for the hospital was secured well before Noonan got to government, just because it was completed in his tenure doesn't mean he secured it.

and it looks like history is repeating itself...

New Critical Care Unit for Limerick Regional

New A&E dept for Limerick Regional

Incorrect, the funding for the hospital was secured well before Noonan got to government, just because it was completed in his tenure doesn't mean he secured it.

and it looks like history is repeating itself...

New Critical Care Unit for Limerick Regional

New A&E dept for Limerick Regional

Anyone that has been in the maternity hospital recently will know that Limerick has been forgotten.

Also, just watching prime time, and they are saying how well IDA have been doing in getting jobs,,,,,,,,do they know we exist here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_East_(Dáil_Éireann_constituency)#2002_general_election

Interesting to look at the actual figures from previous elections. Kieran O'Donnell's first preferences are closer to O'Sullivans than I remember. A lot will depend on whether O'Dea's transfers can drag Power across the line, if O'Dea's vote is down Power will be in serious trouble.

Still don't see anything other than O'Dea, Noonan, O'Sullivan and O'Donnell.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mossy Quinlivan pipping O'Donnell to be honest. If Limerick city/East was still a five seater he would have a right good chance I'd say.

I despair for the people of Limerick west now Limerick County if they re-elect the 2 Fianna Failure morons. I can see at least one of them getting in unfortunately

Browney7 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Mossy Quinlivan pipping O'Donnell to be honest. If Limerick city/East was still a five seater he would have a right good chance I'd say.

Don't see it. 18 months ago he got nearly 900 first preference votes in the North Ward. He'd need to find at least another 5000 votes to be anywhere near elected. Even 5,000 votes probably wouldn't be enough as SF traditionally don't get transfers. A better analyst than me could tell how each candidate will lose out due to new boundary. I've heard it suggested that O'Donnell will lose out more than the others.

In the last general election the first preference votes went as follows

O'Dea 19,082
    Noonan 7,507
    O'Sullivan 5,098
    O'Donnell 5,094
    Power 3,569
    Quinlivan got 2,081

It looks like the only way Power will get elected is if O'Dea carries Power across the line. We've no idea of how much O'Dea's vote will decrease by or his his transfers will go to FF, his is a largely personal vote I would think. It's fairly certain that FG's, Labour's and SF's vote will increase therefore even if Quinlivan's vote doubles, it wouldn't counteract the increase in FG's and Labour's vote.

With that in mind, is it likely Quinlivan will have doubled or tripled his vote in the past four years? It's possible, but is it likely?

i can understand o dea's decrease but why are people giving sf 25% of the the votes.

Don't see it. 18 months ago he got nearly 900 first preference votes in the North Ward. He'd need to find at least another 5000 votes to be anywhere near elected. Even 5,000 votes probably wouldn't be enough as SF traditionally don't get transfers. A better analyst than me could tell how each candidate will lose out due to new boundary. I've heard it suggested that O'Donnell will lose out more than the others.

In the last general election the first preference votes went as follows

O'Dea 19,082
    Noonan 7,507
    O'Sullivan 5,098
    O'Donnell 5,094
    Power 3,569
    Quinlivan got 2,081

It looks like the only way Power will get elected is if O'Dea carries Power across the line. We've no idea of how much O'Dea's vote will decrease by or his his transfers will go to FF, his is a largely personal vote I would think. It's fairly certain that FG's, Labour's and SF's vote will increase therefore even if Quinlivan's vote doubles, it wouldn't counteract the increase in FG's and Labour's vote.

With that in mind, is it likely Quinlivan will have doubled or tripled his vote in the past four years? It's possible, but is it likely?

I agree, Power is most likely to lose out to either Quinlivan or Leddin. I reckon Quinlivan will get it.

EDIT: only 4 seats... (Thanks amazo) then I'd go with 2FG 1 FF 1 Lab

I agree, Power is most likely to lose out to either Quinlivan or Leddin. I reckon Quinlivan will get it.

Only four seats this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

molard wrote: »
    i can understand o dea's decrease but why are people giving sf 25% of the the votes.

:rolleyes:
    Maby they are looking for patriot leadership that wont sell out to the IMF

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Maby they are looking for patriot leadership that wont sell out to the IMF

And take us out of the EU at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

About as likely as Norway joining the EU.

• Advertisement

and into where......africa?

Noonan, o dea, o sullivan and o donnell v quinlivan for the last seat

in limerick west, 2 fg, 1 ff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 retro2011

wipe them out ff locally are buffoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 retro2011

joe leddin to win energertic intelligent focused candidate

did u vote for him in the poll.

in limerick west, 2 fg, 1 ff

Limerick county I think its called now,
    I agree 2 FG and 1 FF, it will be interesting to see which FF will lose his seat. I'd guess Collins will lose out.

All 4 FF and FG are based in the West of the constituency

Throw in James Heffernan (lab) who has the advantage of being from the east of the constituency and former IFA pres John Dillon is going as an independent

I'm not sure who SF have put forward.

In any case slightly off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Limerick county I think its called now,
    I agree 2 FG and 1 FF, it will be interesting to see which FF will lose his seat. I'd guess Collins will lose out.

All 4 FF and FG are based in the West of the constituency

Throw in James Heffernan (lab) who has the advantage of being from the east of the constituency and former IFA pres John Dillon is going as an independent

I'm not sure who SF have put forward.

In any case slightly off topic...

o donnell fg is based in bruff, in the middle of the constituncy.

retro2011 wrote: »
    joe leddin to win energertic intelligent focused candidate

Very capable guy alright but think he's too much ground to make up to be elected, imo. Will be interesting to see if there's much of a Left/Labour vote in Limerick, it's possible Leddin and O'Sullivan will split the vote (Leddin got over 1,000 first preferences in the South Ward in 2009) and if they do they could keep Quinlivan in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

It could be an interesting contest but I do reckon that Noonan and O'Donnell should hold on.

O'Dea will have lost a lot of votes in the change over as his base is rural East Limerick i.e Kilteely, Cappamore, Doon etc - they have now been changed over to the Limerick county constituency. Also remember that last year O'Dea's sister ran for the local election and failed to get elected.

O'Dea seems not to be running for FF now - he has said he would get more votes as an independent. Sending him with Sweary Mary to meet with Michael Dell three years ago when it was well known Dell was going to close was just plain stupid and he did nothing for ex-Dell employees.

We will just have to wait and see.

and into where......africa?

you can be a European country and be outside the EU. Strange you missed that.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    o donnell fg is based in bruff, in the middle of the constituncy.

O Donovan from NCW won at the FG convention

Advertisement