Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Toshiba 19" combo from Argos. Crap quality TV and will not work with Irish DTT. Toshiba 19" Combo from Amazon, very high quality TV but unfortunately will not work with Irish DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The MPEG4 refers to DivX playback on DVD files. Not the decoder on the Tuner
    Forget MPEG4 label

Lots of Media Players, DVD players and Combo TVs have MPEG4 in specification. This refers to MPEG4 file playback such as DivX. Not Broadcast tuner H.264 L3 and L4 reception. No TV shop should be suggesting Irish compatibility by an MPEG4 label on TVs, It's not informative to non-technical people and misleading.
    See http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/what-aso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Anyone know if an LG xxLH4000 works with saorview? I'd like to assume it does (due to the xxLH3000 being ok) but I'd be dropping a lot of money only to find out it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

Anyone know if an LG xxLH4000 works with saorview? I'd like to assume it does (due to the xxLH3000 being ok) but I'd be dropping a lot of money only to find out it doesn't work.

I think all the lg tvs work

The "Freeview HD" UK only models are not 100%. They won't show so called "Analogue" text on TV3 and TG (really EBU Teletext), at least the xxLD490 doesn't.

Most are multi-national European and are perfect on "Ireland" setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

watty wrote: »
    The "Freeview HD" UK only models are not 100%. They won't show so called "Analogue" text on TV3 and TG (really EBU Teletext), at least the xxLD490 doesn't.

Most are multi-national European and are perfect on "Ireland" setting.
    Does this multi-national European have MHEG-5 text? Only UK and Ireland, AFAIK, have MHEG-5 in service on their DTT service
    I thought analouge text (EBU) will fade out and replace with MHEG-5 digital text

Any Multi-European set with Freeview or Freeview HD has MHEG5. Models properly profiled for Ireland (LG xxLD450 for instance) as well as Freeview do MHEG perfectly here. Only really Philips and especially Panasonic of "big name" sets have messed up.

Text is only one of a number of applications on MHEG5 and the style/format/GUI can be changed at any time unlike EBU Teletext which is fixed. Not Just UK and Ireland either.

see http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi all

Would someone be able to tell me if this tv will work for the saorview? Its says Mpeg4 tuner as a feature.

I'm finding the technical speak a bit confusing and want to buy a small bedroom telly soon. Argos seems to have a disclaimer about their televisions I've seen saying
    Please note that the digital and Freeview features of this TV are not available in the Republic of Ireland

Cheers.:)

Argos catalogue Spring / Summer 2011
    Read page 384

Only buy TV described as Irish Digital Compatible or with actual Saorview Logo

Harvey Norman instore labelling is despicable.

See this as to why
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056176393

Do not buy a TV in Harvey Norman. They are deliberately under-describing TVs so as to not hurt sales of incompatible TVs. "MPEG4" is Not a suitable description of Compatibility.

There should be NO Tech stuff. No stupid Currys "MPEG2 is OK for UPC/Sky" Rubbish.
    No MPEG4 labels.

Just simple clear labelling. But some Dealers are wanting to only sell compatible TVs to those already "in the know" and sell as much obsolete incompatible TVs as possible. In reality all the big chains and many small shops know perfectly well what they are doing!

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/for-retailers/

Not one Limerick retailer is publicly warning About Analogue Switch Off or labelling "on display" TVs properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hi all

Would someone be able to tell me if this tv will work for the saorview? Its says Mpeg4 tuner as a feature.

not sure about that one.
    I got a Finlux 22" there (model no on the box, just under the barcode is LCD22GS10FHD). It does not seem to be on the site tho.
    Happily picking up all the digital TV (incl RTE2 in HD) & radio channels. Digital text fine as well.
    All using a small indoor non-amplified antenna.

TV also has a USB input - have tried a few MP4 files & they play grand as well. Does not use usb as a pvr tho.

price €229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

not sure about that one.
    I got a Finlux 22" there (model no on the box, just under the barcode is LCD22GS10FHD). It does not seem to be on the site tho.
    Happily picking up all the digital TV (incl RTE2 in HD) & radio channels. Digital text fine as well.
    All using a small indoor non-amplified antenna.

TV also has a USB input - have tried a few MP4 files & they play grand as well. Does not use usb as a pvr tho.

price €229

Have you tried any avi, mkv files with out? Is it wall mountable do you know? Where exactly did you get it? Sounds very good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Deedsie wrote: »
    Have you tried any avi, mkv files with out? Is it wall mountable do you know? Where exactly did you get it? Sounds very good deal?

saw your query earlier but was in work so only getting to reply now...
    hope this helps

• yes it's wall mountable (4 screw holes on back for a bracket)
    • bought in HN in Waterford

tested a few files this evening ..
    don't have a lot of codec info on them - just the file extensions

File Extension: avi (xvid)
    Plays: yes

File Extension: wmv
    Plays: not even detected

File Extension: divx
    Plays: no

File Extension: mpg

File Extension: mp4 (H264 AAC)

File Extension: mkv
    Plays: Yes.
    test file (Iron Man trailer) downloaded from http://www.divx.com/en/electronics/solutions/high-definition/divx-plus-hd/video

other test file had video ok but no audio (possible hdtv rip??)
    the codec details of the file that wouldn't play are:
    Format: MKV
    Video codec: H.264
    Audio codec: AC3
    Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 29.97fps, 3 824 Kbps
    Audio: English, Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch, 384 Kbps

also plays .mp3s & jpegs

(when usb stick is inserted it opens the media browser on the telly)

here's a few screens of the epg / text etc

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've an LG M197WDP - it's a combo monitor/pc .

It works and shows RTE2 HD, has new style teletext and the EPG shows detailed info for all programs (i.e. it doesn't just show details for now/next).

I got this in PC World last summer but I seem to recall that the "newer" version dropped MPEG4..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Is a sony kdl40ex503 ok for saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Acer M230HML is Saorview Compatable heres the spec

Audio Output Type Speaker(s) - stereo Output Power / Channel 5 Watt General Display Type LCD display / TFT active matrix - WLED backlight TFT Technology TN Width 55.3 cm Depth 18 cm Height 41 cm Weight 4.4 kg Localisation Switzerland, United Kingdom, European Union Display Diagonal Size 23" - widescreen Max Resolution 1920 x 1080 Video Format 1080i Max Sync Rate (V x H) 5 ms Controls / Adjustments Bass, treble, stereo balance Signal Input HDMI, VGA Features LED-backlit, USB MP3/JPEG playback, 3D comb filter Image Image Aspect Ratio 16:9 Image Brightness 250 cd/m2 Image Contrast Ratio 50000:1 (dynamic) Image Max H-View Angle 170 Image Max V-View Angle 160 Video Input Analogue Video Format PAL-B/G, PAL-I, PAL-K, PAL-D, SECAM L, SECAM D/K, SECAM B/G Analogue video Signal RGB, S-Video, composite video, component video Digital TV Tuner DVB-T Mpeg 4
    Conditional Access Common Interface (CI) slot Digital Video Standard High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) TV Tuner Features Digital Teletext /MHEG5
    Expansion / Connectivity Interfaces 1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A ¦ 1 x composite video input - RCA ¦ 1 x S-video input - 4 PIN mini-DIN ¦ 1 x SCART ¦ 1 x component video input ¦ 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x audio line-in ¦ 1 x SPDIF line-out - RCA ¦ 1 x headphones - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x USB Miscellaneous Flat Panel Mount Interface 75 x 75 mm Features Wall mountable Power Voltage Required AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz ) Power Consumption Operational 65 Watt Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 1 Watt

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is a sony kdl40ex503 ok for saorview?

Yes. I believe any Sony model no. ending with 03 or 13 is DVB-T2/mpeg-4 and so backwards compatible for Irish DTT DVB-T/MPEG-4.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

just an (unofficial) confirmation - The issue with Philips TV's with an MPEG4 decoder whereby they could not load radio stations on the new digital platform is now resolved.

I understand RTE, working with Philips have resolved this and as of the 15th February if Philips 'H' series owners rescan TV's they should be able to receive radio services.

Thanks to all for their efforts,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Have RTE promised not to do it again John ?? And what did they change back???? Phillips TVs had worked fine for ages unlike those crappy Panasonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Cheers John, re Philips

Will check tonite after work, any other Philips TV owners checked yet!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Have RTE promised not to do it again John ?? And what did they change back???? Phillips TVs had worked fine for ages unlike those crappy Panasonics.

Sponge,

Thankfully from what I understand (and I have been external to the technical discussions) there is no blame attributable and the resolution just shows that both Philips & RTE appear to be commmitted to the success of Saorview and it appears that as ever communications can sort thing out ;)

As a retailer & a Philips TV owner - I'm just grateful to both RTE & the Philips boffins :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Regarding the above TV, from day 1 I could get the DTT TV and Radio channels on either the Ireland or UK profile, but could not get MHEG-5 on either profile. I tried the rescan - no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grealmax

I can confirm that all radio stations are back on Philips tv on UK setting.15/2/11.

Regarding the above TV, from day 1 I could get the DTT TV and Radio channels on either the Ireland or UK profile, but could not get MHEG-5 on either profile. I tried the rescan - no difference.

Pat,

The small screen 3405's dont have MHEG5 text AFAIK - all '6' series TV's have EPG/MHEG5/MPEG4 and should be working no problem from last night.

Keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc& Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It seems that Panasonic have dropped the ball in the UK as well:

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/panasonic-hold-off-on-new-product-range

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hi folks. I bought a Philips 32PFL5604H/R last summer and had no trouble getting RTE digital when it came on in October. However I had no joy with the EPG / MHEG. I read this thread during the weekend and saw the tip about changing to UK settings. I tried it today and it worked a dream. Thanks.

All the radio stations are coming through on UK setting now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Yes, the problem with Philips tv's not picking up the radio channels is now resloved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Any cheap STBs around for Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

Philips telly is now working - confirmed - now if they can fix the horrible x talk issue on the 9705 i'd be really happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Hi all
    a few weeks ago I had issues with a Sony Bravia sold as Full HD in Dec 09 and egged on by advice here I communicated the following the Bray branch Manager.

1.When I bought this TV it was described as a “Full HD Digital TV”. My advice is that the Description should have read "Digital part is incompatible with Irish System, Analogue only reception most of Ireland." This or anything like it was not stated on the box nor on any advertising associated with the TV. The description on the Box formed part of the contract of sale.

2.The TV was bought in anticipation of being able to discard my sky subscription and to access Terrestrial stations ie.RTE ,TG4 & TV3 digitally as well as accessing same in HD. You suggest that this would not have been possible and that the only use of the HD features would be for Blueray ,Gaming etc. This TV isn’t nor has it been used for gaming. At best the HD could be described as “A HD Monitor”. It was therefore not fit for purpose as a HD TV in Ireland. On the other hand HD has been provided on MPEG 2 in the UK. So as a HD TV it could work in the UK.

3. The issues surrounding MPEG 2 compatability were available to your company when you sold me this TVas the "industry" (Manufacturers, retail and distribution) was informed in March 2008 about the issue of UK format being incompatible. It was known to anyone paying attention back in 2007 apparently. Also the spec stayed the same from March 2008 to Dec 2009, as indeed it has done to this day.

4. Below is an extract from the saorview site regarding Irish “Free to Air” digital TV.
    … In December 2008 RTÉ published its Minimum Receiver Requirements. It subsequently appointed a company to test receivers for compliance with the these requirements and instigated an approval process for manufacturers. RTÉ did not add any further technical requirements beyond what was already required in the Department’s specification …
    … Key elements of the receiver specification include the following:
    1. The receiver needs to be capable of decoding both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) MPEG 4 signals. This is important as RTÉ is planning to replace its current SD RTÉ Two service with an RTÉ Two HD service on SAORVIEW. More HD services are likely to follow in the future.
    2. The receiver needs to have MHEG5 middleware to decode RTÉ’s proposed new Digital Aertel Service and other possible interactive services. …

It is clear that the Appliance sold to me would not function as a Digital TV in the Irish Republic and it was described as an “LCD Digital TV” with Full HD. It did not meet it’s description which is clearly stated on the cover of its accompanying manual.

5.At the time for about 60% of the price I paid I could have had a HD Ready TV with an analogue tuner . I opted for the higher spec of the KDL-40S5500 because it would enable me to have Free to air satellite stations while availing of Digital Irish Terrestrial free to air stations, most of which would be available in HD.

6.Below is the description of the TV in question taken today from the sony Ireland website.
    PREVIOUS MODEL
    KDL-40S5500

102cm / 40" Full HD 1080 BRAVIA LCD TV with BRAVIA ENGINE 2
    Its description as a “Full HD TV “ is inaccurate and misleading. Your description on Dec 2nd 2009 was the same.

Also below is a description of the set taken from a UK retail site today.
    [URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL]Sony KDL-40S5500 ... built in eco-settings. Watch your favourite soaps or movies in crystal clear detail. Affordable without compromising on quality, this TV offers a Full HD experience that means you don't miss an inch. The S5500 series' draw the LINE design goes one step further, by contrasting texture and form to create this simply elegant BRAVIA TV.”
    7. It is obvious from the above that Power City and indeed even Sony Ireland have failed to inform customers that this TV will not receive either digital and by extension HD TV in Ireland and that UK information was used by your company in 2009 and is still being used by Sony Ireland to this very day.

8. CEDA (part of IBEC) - The consumer electronics distributor association issued a memo to all it's members (manufactures and retailers) on 1st February 2008 warning of the dangers of making it not clear to consumers about digital TV Ceda deals with,
    Audiovisual Import, Beko, Dimpco, JVC, KAL., LG Electronics, Panasonic, Philips Ireland, Sanyo, Sharp and Sony Ireland. Your company received this memo.

The following is the reply purported to have been given to my letter(Via Power city)
    Dear(Power City Manager)
    We reviewed the issues raised by MR****** in the letter forwarded to us last week and would like to clarify as follows.
    The description Full HDTV is correct as this TV is capable of displaying a full HD digital signal from a variety of sources including PS3 HD games, blu ray players, sky HD receivers, digital terrestrial transmissionsin UK and in Northern Ireland.
    When the specification for Digital Terrestrial transmission was drafted in 2008, no manufacturers had a product that conformed to the saorview specification in Ireland. At present , there is only one manufacturer that has passed the approval process.
    Please note that Full Hd is not the same as HD ready. However both refer to the high definition signal that the TV is capable of displaying and not to the broadcast specification.
    The KDLS5500 TV can continue to be used and will display full HD digital terrestrial transmissions(subject to the transmission being in HD itself) with the addition of a HD Saorview set box, please refer to www.saorviewfor the approved models.
    Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Sony Ireland.

Advice please fellow Boards people and remember this has been going on for three weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Did they guarantee that it would work with Irish DTT when you bought it? or did they suggest it would.

Advertisement