Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

John Dough wrote: »
    Funny that as the Toshiba 19DV713B is NOT mpeg4 on Amazon??

For sure its not. I had one and sent it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Dear(Power City Manager)
    We reviewed the issues raised by MR****** in the letter forwarded to us last week and would like to clarify as follows.
    The description Full HDTV is correct as this TV is capable of displaying a full HD digital signal from a variety of sources including PS3 HD games, blu ray players, sky HD receivers, digital terrestrial transmissionsin UK and in Northern Ireland.
    When the specification for Digital Terrestrial transmission was drafted in 2008, no manufacturers had a product that conformed to the saorview specification in Ireland. At present , there is only one manufacturer that has passed the approval process.
    Please note that Full Hd is not the same as HD ready. However both refer to the high definition signal that the TV is capable of displaying and not to the broadcast specification.
    The KDLS5500 TV can continue to be used and will display full HD digital terrestrial transmissions(subject to the transmission being in HD itself) with the addition of a HD Saorview set box, please refer to www.saorviewfor the approved models.
    Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Sony Ireland.

Advice please fellow Boards people and remember this has been going on for three weeks now.

First off, its a little unfortunate that you bought that specific model in 2009.

Timing. When Sony say that the spec was published in 2008 and that no manufacturers had a model that conformed to these min specs, this is rubbish. Most of their own KDL series have MPEG4 and MHEG5 even going back to 2008! The model you bought was released in Feb 2009. You say you bought it in December 2009. Most unfortunate. I have MPEG4 DVB_t gear going back to 2007.

The digital tuner in the 2009 model would never have worked here in ROI and was redundant due to the minimum spec openly published in Feb 2008. The DTT service in MPEG4 has actually been on since 1 August 2008.

The claim that the integrated tuner would receive Full HD "digital terrestrial transmissions in UK and in Northern Ireland" is nonsense. Why ? Because the UK and NI didnt and dont have HD services using MPEG2 on DVB-T. The UK DBook which specifies the Freeview standard specifies that MPEG2 will be used for SD services only.

Regardless of all that ROI is not the UK nor NI and have had a seperate DTT service since 1 August 2008 as ALL CEDA members were fully briefed on.

Best of luck, unfortunately you have bought the wrong product more suitable for use in the UK. Punters will continue to be mugged with old UK warehoused stock until CEDA actually do something in the interests of the consumer rather than the retailers that they seem more concerned about. Irish people should not be second guessed as to what they intend to use the TV for. Basic tuners should work without question.

Power City have actually been one of the more informative and trustworthy sources for Saorview type compatibility although probably using this as a good selling point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Zero information on Saorview in the Sony shop on O'Connell St in Dublin. A glance at the list in the OP shows they have a few sets that are compatible. Grr! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

While many Sony sets were compatible, the website for Sony is based in the UK as are the staff, and the UK site has denied that any sets had MPEG 4 receivers, including those that did have MPEG 4. It was necessary to go to the French Sony site to check compatibility. Sony UK are not alone in this. Many major manufacturers see Ireland as a sub-office for the UK, and an appropriate place to dump old stock.

While many Sony sets were compatible, the website for Sony is based in the UK as are the staff, and the UK site has denied that any sets had MPEG 4 receivers, including those that did have MPEG 4. It was necessary to go to the French Sony site to check compatibility. Sony UK are not alone in this. Many major manufacturers see Ireland as a sub-office for the UK, and an appropriate place to dump old stock.

Eh, why do they do this? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Probably to avoid public confusion in the UK with Freeview-HD spec TVs i.e. DVB-T2/MPEG-4. Our DVB-T/MPEG-4 standard is not used there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think they are legally required to assume that the British public are stupid, and could not understand the complexity of digital TV.

Maybe they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

it is not hard to write on the spec sheet,
    DVB-T2/MPEG-4 suitable for UK Freeview HD DTT
    DVB -T/MPEG-2 Suitable for UK Freeview DTT
    DVB-T/MPEG-4 suitable for Ireland Saorview HD DTT

Souriau wrote: »
    it is not hard to write on the spec sheet,
    DVB-T2/MPEG-4 suitable for UK Freeview HD DTT
    DVB -T/MPEG-2 Suitable for UK Freeview DTT
    DVB-T/MPEG-4 suitable for Ireland Saorview HD DTT

It was quite stupid of them to pick a name for their new service that included the old name. Also to add to the confusion by including the term 'HD' in the title. We already have the confusion caused by terms like 'HD Ready' and 'Full HD' which relate to the TV resolution, not its receiver. If they had used FreeHDview, it would cause less confusion, or even omited the space between 'Freeview' and 'HD' and had FreeviewHD.

Also, I think the mention of 'Saorview' would cause an appoplectic reaction among certain members of the British establishment.

I have been onto the UK based Sony 'Helpline' and was told that sets that I knew would work, would not as the 'service in Eire' was MPEG 4, and these particular sets will not receive it.

This topic is made more difficult by the fact that the UK 'D Book' is a private publication for members only. It is difficult to argue with manufacturers if the standard they manufacture to is secret. I thought the EU was meant to stop this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I

Also, I think the mention of 'Saorview' would cause an appoplectic reaction among certain members of the British establishment.

Ha :D

I think all politicians from that era are dead.

What about Saorsat in Eire vs Saorstát Éireann

Is anyone mentioned here still alive? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Free_State

Google claims "Irish Free Satellite" = "Satailít Saor in Aisce na hÉireann" OR alternative is "Satailít Saor na hÉireann"

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Ha :D

I think all politicians from that era are dead.

I do not think so. They just do not jump up and down and shout as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I know its been said before, but just wanted to say again because I only got it working yesterday and I'm really happy with it :D

Samsung LE32C530 this -> http://www.currys.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-LE32C530-32andampquot-Full-HD-LCD-TV/297258/339.0

and a cheap little indoor aerial out of argos, this -> http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5345595/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevision+aerials+and+boosters%7C14419536.htm

Work perfectly for Saoview, rte 2 hd, and mheg5 in Clondalkin anyway.

Chuffed with it :)

That exact type of Aerial is €2 in bargain stores. Some €50 "One for all" aerials are no better.

Most people do need outdoor aerial. The Indoor reception is vulnerable to interference.

The Govt. is getting appointed tomorrow. All eyes on who is Minister for Communications I suppose? Not that it matters that much since it's the civil service that runs the joint. Still though, maybe someone who likes a challenge will take this up and take on the retailers...

The Govt. is getting appointed tomorrow. All eyes on who is Minister for Communications I suppose? Not that it matters that much since it's the civil service that runs the joint. Still though, maybe someone who likes a challenge will take this up and take on the retailers...

Simon Coveney or Leo Varadkar maybe, both held the spokesperson position in the last Dáil.

And take on Humphrey.

Eventually the "Minister" did learn how to beat Humphrey and have some real victories. A few pyrrhic ones also!

Who/what is Humphrey?

I think Rabbitte got Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Who/what is Humphrey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes_Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

And take on Humphrey.

Eventually the "Minister" did learn how to beat Humphrey and have some real victories. A few pyrrhic ones also!
    That's Sir Humphrey, please:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 suites

does that mean we will be getting rabbites ears lol lol

• Advertisement

We do hope he will be getting up to speed on Broadband issues though.

All the best Minister Rabbitte fighting the vested Interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

We do hope he will be getting up to speed on Broadband issues though.

All the best Minister Rabbitte fighting the vested Interests.
    Side note: did anyone else notice that they translated his name as Pádraig Mac Coinín when listing out the members of the new Cabinet 'as Gaeilge'. Now, technically 'Coinín' is the Irish for Rabbit, but his name is Rabbitte ... They didn't try to translate Joan Burton, or Leo Mac Vrakdar, did they? :)

(Sorry, didn't want to distract too much from the topic, just tought it amusing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I don't think he will take much nonsense, but I don't know how up to speed he is with technology.
    Side note: did anyone else notice that they translated his name as Pádraig Mac Coinín when listing out the members of the new Cabinet 'as Gaeilge'. Now, technically 'Coinín' is the Irish for Rabbit, but his name is Rabbitte ... They didn't try to translate Joan Burton, or Leo Mac Vrakdar, did they? :)

(Sorry, didn't want to distract too much from the topic, just tought it amusing)

It's quite possible they were just using what would have been his original family surname, son of Coinín, which had nothing to do with rabbits. At some point though, somebody decided to do a ham-fisted translation, came up with Rabbit and stuck an 'e' on the end for effect.

Surely the translation of a name is done with the consent of the person involved. He must have been asked before how his name should be represented in the first language, and so that is what was used. He has been in the Dail a long time.

How do you guys rate Power City for info? Their little spec cards they have are miles better than the atrocious non-information you get say in a Sony centre.

Do you only get a 7-day prog/planner with a Saorview Walker?

Who/what is Humphrey?

What's his record in the Dáil on DTT?

3 questions in approx 7 years is all I can find.

2 Dec 2008 http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2008/12/02/00048.asp#N3
    12 Mar 2008 http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2008/03/12/00055.asp
    21 Nov 2006 http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2006/11/21/00061.asp#N2

When he asked this question in 2008 did he ever think he would be the Minister 18 months before ASO?
    114. Deputy Pat Rabbitte asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the position regarding digital terrestrial television; his views on whether preparations for the switch over in 2012 will be complete; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Is it just me or has this stickey gone well off topic, i taught it was just for tv's working with saorview!

apope8 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has this stickey gone well off topic, i taught it was just for tv's working with saorview!

Now we are talking about TDs working with Saorview.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Now we are talking about TDs working with Saorview.:D

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭applewoodgo

liamtech wrote: »
    Philips

32pfl5604h - I own This one
    37pfl5604h
    42pfl5604h - Friend owns this one
    47pfl5604h - Have seen it fully functioning

32pfl7604h
    37pfl7604h
    42pfl7604h - Friend owns this one
    47pfl7604h

32pfl9604h
    37pfl9604h
    42pfl9604h
    47pfl9604h - friend owns this one - lucky sod

32pfl5605h
    32pfl3605h MPEG4 Version
    32pfl7605h

All current philips models excluding the 3000 series basic non mpeg4 version - not available anymore -

Given the main bulk of the philips units all support mpeg four and ive seen at least one from each series i think there a safe bet - For best functionality set to UK and upgrade the firmware - MHEG5 compatable with digital teletext and EPG functional -

Just bought a Techwood 22" FHD MPEG IDTT from Harvey Normans. According to the salesman, it wasn't MHEG5 compatible but that didn't matter as it was a second TV for the bedroom. I took it home and installed it and these are my findings:

It displays the new Aertel teletext service as per my LE 40" Samsung C530 which is MHEG5 compatible. However, the loading time for all pages is about 35 seconds approximatly - very slow.
    Shows full EPG after pressing EPG followed by the options button.
    So, I take it, unless I have missed something, that this TV is MHEG5 compatible.

Advertisement