Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goonstriss

cheers. I'll be checking it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sneakee wrote: »
    Philips 32PFL8404H
    Philips xxPFL8404H
    [HTML]
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/philips-32pfl8404h-32pfl8404-20100105162.htm
    [/HTML]
    This model has the LED ambilight and not to be confused with the new LED TV's. This is a LCD television in case anyone mistakes this. Ambilight is brilliant and not a gimmick.
    Bought in August 2009 off Komplett.ie

Confirmed as compatible for Saorview.
    Scan setting must be set to UK to pick up all channels and features including MHEG5.
    Confirmed as having MHEG5 also.
    If on Ireland setting, it will only pick up the channels.

By the way the radio stations recently disappeared about a month back, any reason why??? They were found in the initial scan and saved.

Ah must try a rescan so.
    I have a 42pfl9664 but I have the country set to Ireland. I got all the channels but no guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brian0630

I bought Neotion card in my old Sony mpeg4. Work well. Bought from Ebay, cheapest listing.

So, I think it is better then additional remote.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Brian0630 wrote: »
    I bought Neotion card in my old Sony mpeg4. Work well. Bought from Ebay, cheapest listing.

I tried one in my Sony a long time ago and decided it was rubbish because of picture quality and lip-sync problems. I now have a STB that gives fantastic PQ with no problems. I have a FTA satellite STB, and only use the Sont remote to turn on the TV.

I would retire the Neotion if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Brian0630 wrote: »

See http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/
    The PCMCIA (CI slot for a CAM on a TV or set-box) is for PayTV decoder which has a viewing card slot.
    Usually an MPEG2 TV can’t see the MPEG4 channels if they are “flagged” properly, thus there is nothing for the converter that mimics a “CAM” to convert. If it’s an HD broadcast the MPEG2 bitrate is too high, so HD won’t ever work. Some Saorview channels will only be transmitted in HD.
    The “Converter CAM” has to have an MPEG4 decoder and MPEG2 encoder so even if it did work, it reduces quality, adds delay and may run hot enough to damage the TV or set-box

Neotion cards are useless for Saorview.
    The temporary SD RTE closes 18th April.
    RTE2 will then be HD signal only, even when SD content.
    RTE1, TG4 and TV3 will in the next few years be HD also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

watty wrote: »
    Vestel, made in Turkey. As was the Mitsubishi "black diamond" and Silvercrest CRTs. Walker is the Management Buyout of the Irish Mitsubishi distribution outfit.

Many well known brand name TVs and set-box of UK High Street are Vestel. Almost all Software development is in UK and some HW R&D is in California. So many actually work better than Chinese boxes/TVs.
    Aren't BEKO tv's also of Turkish origin?..Do they use good quality components & good panels ? I know you can pick up a little gem sometimes,..I bought a 37" Viewpia LCD 4yrs ago which was 2/3 the price of the big brand names,..I had the chance to compare these side by side in DID & the picture quality was as good & better than some big names,..it developed a (not powering on) problem of late & I replaced 2 caps on the psu which fixed the problem,...I had a good look around & every board inside was marked LG/Philips,..even the panel,..happy days.

Beko a million years ago WAS Philips. Their CRT Tvs used what ever tube was available (loads of component changes in a table on schematic according to tube), so you could get a really great CRT or poorer one! Those where Philips/NXP designs.

Yes, Turkish also. But no idea if any connection to Vestel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Beko a million years ago WAS Philips. Their CRT Tvs used what ever tube was available (loads of component changes in a table on schematic according to tube), so you could get a really great CRT or poorer one! Those where Philips/NXP designs.

Yes, Turkish also. But no idea if any connection to Vestel.

Arcelik is the parent company. Beko is one of the brands. The electronics arm that merged with Arcelik 2 years ago is Grundig. I have a Digifusion FVRT200 (MPEG2) and had a Sony SVR-S500 (again MPEG2). Both were the same hardware except for the look. Both were made by Beko.

Vestel are a separate Turkish Company and are a big TV/STB OEM with rebadges under Alba, Bush, Goodmans, Matsui, Mitsubishi, Techwood, Digihome, Hitachi, Sharp, Wharfedale, and Technika brandnames. They also make washing machines/white goods which end up as Whirlpool, Electrolux, Candy, Glen Dimplex etc and major chains like Tesco and Aldi.

Infact most of the T2 products out there are based on the Vestel T8300 chassis with cosmetic changes: All of these: Antiference HDSB, Bush DVB680, Digihome Freeview HD Box, Ferguson F02HD, ISIS ISI-DVBT2, Krystel DVBT2, Linsar FHDF1, Lowry GSHDTB1001, Luxor LUX-DVBT2-690, Metronic T2HD, Xenius DVB100HD, Finlux DVBT2665 and Technika STVHDV2010

It is not unusual to see component names that you could easily identify. Most tuner modules for example are made by Sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Thanks STB, I've provided these details to Philips support and they appear to be taking it on board.

Again, I'll keep the thread informed if there is any outcome of this.

Referring to my post here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70173246&postcount=156

This TV will show all TV and Radio channels when set to UK or Ireland, but no MHEG-5 capability - despite a reset or rescan. It's on current firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Midnight Rider

Having read through some of this thread, I'm getting the impression that a French SONY tv (specifically, the KDL40EX402) should be able to receive Saorview no problems, yeah? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Having read through some of this thread, I'm getting the impression that a French SONY tv (specifically, the KDL40EX402) should be able to receive Saorview no problems, yeah? :)

Things have moved on and the recommendation now is an Irish Saorview certified or Freeview-HD certified receiver which will give you both MPEG-4 and MHEG-5.

TNT-HD certified receivers will of course do MPEG-4 but maybe not MHEG-5 for digital text. Some TNT-HD certified receivers may do MHEG-5 if there is a UK country option on setup.

The Cush wrote: »
    Things have moved on and the recommendation now is an Irish Saorview certified or Freeview-HD certified receiver which will give you both MPEG-4 and MHEG-5.

TNT-HD certified receivers will of course do MPEG-4 but maybe not MHEG-5 for digital text. Some TNT-HD certified receivers may do MHEG-5 if there is a UK country option on setup.

To be honest, I've haven't seen many certified Saorview TV's or receivers. Far as I know that particular TV supports both MPEG-4 and MHEG-5 (though, don't quote me on that. :o), and yeah, it has UK setup options. I think it's worth a gamble. If it doesn't work out, I can always get a receiver box (if a good combi box ever sees the light of day. ;)).

Anyways, thanks for the reply. :)

Walker are the only certified range around at the moment but other manufacturers in the pipeline according informed speculation, Sony, Samsung, Triax.

The Cush wrote: »
    Walker are the only certified range around at the moment but other manufacturers in the pipeline according informed speculation, Sony, Samsung, Triax.

Yeah, I have a preference for Sony or Samsung, they make great TV's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I know absolutley nothing about this whole area, I'm thinking of getting this TV
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32C530-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003EEM1M4/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_2.
    Is it at all possible to get British freeview to work over here? That TV has 50hz lcd freeview, where as others have LCD Digital HDFreeview (like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32RV753B-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003FVAIF8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1), is there any advantage over one from the other? ( I have sky digital but the tv wont be connected to the box, if that makes any difference)

siblers wrote: »
    Is it at all possible to get British freeview to work over here?

Freeview and Freeview-HD are UK digital terrestrial TV services which means you must have an outside aerial pointing at a N Ireland or Wales TV transmitter if you live near the border or on the east coast.

If you are outside the range of a UK transnitter you will require a freesat or free-to-air satellite receiver to receive the UK services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Toshiba 32AV713B, Mpeg 4 and Mheg 5 working perfectly. HD ready and not bad for €229 :D

siblers wrote: »
    I know absolutley nothing about this whole area, I'm thinking of getting this TV
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32C530-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003EEM1M4/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_2.
    Is it at all possible to get British freeview to work over here? That TV has 50hz lcd freeview, where as others have LCD Digital HDFreeview (like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32RV753B-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003FVAIF8/ref=pd_cp_ce_1), is there any advantage over one from the other? ( I have sky digital but the tv wont be connected to the box, if that makes any difference)

Well, I'm no expert and I could be mistaken, but here's my thoughts...

The Freeview could very well be useless to you since UK Freeview isn't widely available in Ireland. And if the TV has Freeview, then it probably doesn't come with an MPEG4 tuner, which is what you need to receive Saorview.

I've heard you can use your Skybox to pick up Freesat? Maybe that's something you could try? :o

The Freeview could very well be useless to you since UK Freeview isn't widely available in Ireland. And if the TV has Freeview, then it probably doesn't come with an MPEG4 tuner, which is what you need to receive Saorview.

Not necessarily so, Freeview certified receivers may also include an MPEG-4 video decoder.

For any non-Saorview certified receiver (STB or iDTV) always check the product specification for video decoder MPEG-4 AVC and/or H.264 (HP@L4) before you buy.

Freeview-HD and TNT-HD certified receivers have an MPEG-4 video decoder by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cheers for the replies, we have one of those dishes where you just have a one off payment which comes with some British channels but mainly european ones, It's not really that big of a deal if it doesn't work anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

Following an earlier post in this thread I sent Philips a third Email. I pointed out that 1) the MHEG5 UK Profile is already integrated in the reveiver 2) other manufactures notably Sony, LG and Samsung were now offering TVs that are Saorview compliant 3) that the problem is not a hardware problem as indicated in my first response from Philips and 4) Philips will lose customers to the other manufacturers. This is the response I got today.

"Thank you for your recent email.

Indeed your TV does have the ability to produce digital text and an EPG when receiving digital Irish signals, yet this is not one of the TV’s specifications when it is in ‘Ireland’ mode.

The digital signal it decodes to produce text and an EPG for the MPEG4 tuner is picked up by the TV and produced, but only because the TV has searched for a UK EPG and text signal.

I understand that a software upgrade to resolve this issue would be very useful for customers with this issue, however I am not aware of any current proposals to one. I suggest you regularly check our website for any updates."

At least they have acknowledged that a software upgrade would resolve it.

Yes. but we knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

At least they have acknowledged that a software upgrade would resolve it.

Yes, well done. An acknowledgment is a start and maybe if a few more people made contact with them, something might get done. At least you got a response which is more than can be said for Panasonic :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

moz wrote: »
    Yes, well done. An acknowledgment is a start and maybe if a few more people made contact with them, something might get done. At least you got a response which is more than can be said for Panasonic :mad:

I do hope that they are working on a firmware fix but only last week a member of Philips tech support staff told me that they wont be fixing it and that I could take my TV back to where I bought it.
    Yesterday I went into a major electrical chain that sells all brands of TVs and when I asked if the Philips TV that I was looking at was Saorview compatible the sales man said yes, I asked to see if the radio channels were working on a Philips TV the salesman showed me they were, I then asked him to show me the teletext working .... at first he pretended that the remote control would not work so I pointed out there were many Philips TVs there and surely he could find a working remote control.
    Another salesman came over and pressed text button on the remote and low and behold analogue teletext came up and the original salesman tried to convince me that the text was working.
    I informed him that he was very wrong in trying to hoodwink me into selling a TV with analogue teletext, the other salesman pipped up and acknowledged that none of the Philips or Panasonic TVs in their store were Saorview compatible .... I asked him how could they try to sell such goods to the public and what were going to do with all the useless non corforming to Saorview standard TVs they had in stock, he said that he did not know and that was a matter for headquarters.
    I think the only way that Philips will resolve this issue is if they are unable to sell their non conforming TVs in Ireland, people should visit their local Philips stockist and highlight that they are trying to pawn off non conforming TVs that will lead to reputational damage for the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

56lcd wrote: »
    I do hope that they are working on a firmware fix but only last week a member of Philips tech support staff told me that they wont be fixing it and that I could take my TV back to where I bought it.
    Yesterday I went into a major electrical chain that sells all brands of TVs and when I asked if the Philips TV that I was looking at was Saorview compatible the sales man said yes, I asked to see if the radio channels were working on a Philips TV the salesman showed me they were, I then asked him to show me the teletext working .... at first he pretended that the remote control would not work so I pointed out there were many Philips TVs there and surely he could find a working remote control.
    Another salesman came over and pressed text button on the remote and low and behold analogue teletext came up and the original salesman tried to convince me that the text was working.
    I informed him that he was very wrong in trying to hoodwink me into selling a TV with analogue teletext, the other salesman pipped up and acknowledged that none of the Philips or Panasonic TVs in their store were Saorview compatible .... I asked him how could they try to sell such goods to the public and what were going to do with all the useless non corforming to Saorview standard TVs they had in stock, he said that he did not know and that was a matter for headquarters.
    I think the only way that Philips will resolve this issue is if they are unable to sell their non conforming TVs in Ireland, people should visit their local Philips stockist and highlight that they are trying to pawn off non conforming TVs that will lead to reputational damage for the store.

You should name and shame the shop as hoodwinking otherwise known as lying to the customer is well out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

Yes. but we knew that.

Thanks Watty but I was really referring to the first response I got from Philips where they stated that a firmware update wouldn't resolve the problem as it was a hardware issue.

Well, I knew that was nonsense ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Satdog wrote: »
    Thanks Watty but I was really referring to the first response I got from Philips where they stated that a firmware update wouldn't resolve the problem as it was a hardware issue.
    Hi All,

I currently have a case open with Philips about this same issue on a 32pfl5405h/05. They are also 'looking at this at head office'. Perhaps a unified approach can help them, if anyone would like to PM me their Support Case reference with Philips I will forward a list to them of the known cases.
    Details of my case Here

You know, help them with a little joined up thinking and maybe focus their efforts.

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

goonstriss wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a Sony KDL 32W4000, bought in late 2008. The specs I can see only mention MPEG 2. I'm assuming I can't get Saorview on it. Am I right?

Its a DVB-T/MPEG4 TV so it works here. You must set the country to UK though to use MHEG5 functions.

Also the Sony 26EX302 is compatible with Saorview. With country setting as Ireland, MHEG5 functions are available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Dubluc wrote: »
    Anyone using a Samsung LE32B450C4W or know if it works. Can't seem to get Digital reception. Tried UK settings etc.

Hi I don't if you got an answer to this. I have this TV and I get a perfect saorview reception with country set to Ireland. Any other Qs just ask.

Advertisement