Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

Hi All,

I currently have a case open with Philips about this same issue on a 32pfl5405h/05. They are also 'looking at this at head office'. Perhaps a unified approach can help them, if anyone would like to PM me their Support Case reference with Philips I will forward a list to them of the known cases.
    Details of my case Here

You know, help them with a little joined up thinking and maybe focus their efforts.

Just a thought.

Good idea. Everyone on the forum with a Philps TV should get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I have the Samsung PS50C6900 plasma TV
    It is Freeview HD compatible

Saorview works perfectly including:
    MHEG5 ttext with thumbnail preview of currently selected channel, RTE2HD, country set to Ireland

This set is identical to the PS50C7000 except for additional screen filter so that should work as well.

Samsung PS50C7000

• Registered Users Posts: 9 frankkall

Does sony kdl 46 ex713 works with saorview?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

frankkall wrote: »
    Does sony kdl 46 ex713 works with saorview?

I think so, it is DVB-T2 and Freeview HD, so it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

Just tried to log a ticket via the philips site and got an error message, will try again tomorrow. I know the lads at the Philips store, richersounds and harvey normans in airside in Dublin are chasing up on it too,
    Satdog wrote: »
    Good idea. Everyone on the forum with a Philps TV should get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

My LG 26LD350 is working fine with MHEG5.

my parents are thinking about getting the LG 22LD350 for the kitchen, so it will work fine with saorview, as in its integrated, so turn it on, connect to standard aerial and the digital RTE service will appear? my 32" samsung is working fine alright.

EDIT: oh and I own a 2008, Sony KDL-32L4000 tv, which i think doesnt pick up the rte saorview (pick-up...i mean decode :) )....at least i dont think it can...i dont have it connected to my aerial in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hi folks. I bought a Philips 32PFL5604H/R last summer and had no trouble getting RTE digital when it came on in October. However I had no joy with the EPG / MHEG. I read this thread during the weekend and saw the tip about changing to UK settings. I tried it today and it worked a dream. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭thayes

i have the pioneer krp 500a and it receives all the channels currently beinf broadcast in dtt here in ireland. i am usinfg a one4all flat aerial. Signal strength is 100% and quality is about 80%, I have line of sight to the wicklow mountains from the city centre. The aerial has its own power supply, and I do not have 'aerial power' turned on on the tv for the digital tuner. The TV is setup with UK selected (no ireland option).
    MHEG5 seems to work fine.

I have 2 questions:

I have no EPG, can anyone suggest why the EPG is not working?

Also every so often, the picture gets pixelated and sometimes reception drops completely for a few seconds. Is this a problem with the TV?

Any suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Have a SonyKDL40s5500 bought from Power City in Dec 09. It was sold as Full HD but only receives sound plus menus with a "no video" message at top of screen. Anybody think that I have a comeback with Power City as surely in DEc 09 everybody knew that Irish Digital would be Mpeg 4 standard. Advice please fellow Boarders.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Hi guys I just got that new tele in Lidl and just after finding out about this mheg-5 business. Does this have it? It says in the opening post that it's unconfirmed. The tv says something about having "With MHEG5 Capable Receiver" in the description.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110203.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_TV

I'm just wondering how important mheg-5 is for the future of DTT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes
    see http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

and http://www.wattystuff.net/2011/01/money-back-if-it-isnt-a-tv/

M&S, Tesco, Currys, Aldi, Lidl, Power City, Argos and others have changed TVs from a few weeks old to nearly 2 years. The longer you leave it the harder it is.

You can't get refund or exchange if they specifically labled it "Digital part is incompatible with Irish System, Analogue only reception most of Ireland." or similar. A "no Freeview" disclaimer doesn't count.

The "industry" (Manufacturers, retail and distribution) was informed in March 2008 about the issue of UK format incompatible. It was known to anyone paying attention back in 2007!

The current spec is essentially the same as published in February 2008. They should have labelled TVs properly!
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/for-retailers/

and http://www.saortv.info/2011/01/05/aso-in-less-than-two-years/

watty wrote: »
    yes

M&S, Tesco, Currys, Aldi, Lidl, Power City, Argos and others have changed TVs from a few weeks old to nearly 2 years. The longer you leave it the harder it is.

You can't get refund or exchange if they specifically labled it "Digital part is incompatible with Irish System, Analogue only reception most of Ireland." or similar. A "no Freeview" disclaimer doesn't count.

The "industry" (Manufacturers, retail and distribution) was informed in March 2008 about the issue of UK format incompatible. It was known to anyone paying attention back in 2007!

The current spec is essentially the same as published in February 2008. They should have labelled TVs properly!

Many thanks Watty .I don't have the box, the set was bought online from PCity but I have a credit card statement as proof of purchase. Should this be suffucient? Or have retailers generally been accepting liability for this mess up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I just got a Samsung LE37c650 a few days ago. I was assured by the salesman that saorview would work. I checked the specs and it has DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-T2 (uk only) and has MPEG4 and H.264/AVC. Reading the 1st post in this thread though it might not be compatible? I'm getting quite confused here.

Unfortunately I have no proper aerial either here at the moment so I cant actually pick up analogue tv atm to test whether the DTT is working. I have UPC (digital) cable only. Any concrete info on this TV?

you only need to prove purchase.

If you are firm and polite, maybe print suitable web pages then they will likely offer a replacement.

If not the Small Claims court is €25 and you are highly probable to win unless the shop can prove they re-labelled the TV as "Analogue Only" or similar disclaimer

Sale of Goods Act: Packaging comprises part of contract unless otherwise stated by retailer. The TVs on display and Packaging all claimed "Digital" as well as "freeview". Many compatible TVs are also Freeview sets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Boro wrote: »
    I just got a Samsung LE37c650 a few days ago. I was assured by the salesman that saorview would work. I checked the specs and it has DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-T2 (uk only) and has MPEG4 and H.264/AVC. Reading the 1st post in this thread though it might not be compatible? I'm getting quite confused here.

Unfortunately I have no proper aerial either here at the moment so I cant actually pick up analogue tv atm to test whether the DTT is working. I have UPC (digital) cable only. Any concrete info on this TV?

have the 40" version, already posted in the thread that it works fine. haven't bothered with mheg5 though...seems it only works when region is set to uk, which you can't on my model which came from pixmania and is an eu model

Boro wrote: »

It should work.

DVB-T2 (UK) is "Freeview HD". That supports DVB-T and MHEG5 and MPEG4 as required in Ireland, if it doesn't work fully with Ireland as Country, it will work with UK selected as Country. It might not do TV3 and TG4 EBU Teletext with UK selected, but will do the newer MHEG5 interactive Teletext.

Excellent, thanks guys. Need to get some sort of aerial then to get it working. Any recommendations for an inside aerial?

http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

146610.jpg

This generic type €5 to €14, worth €6 to €8

124740.jpg

Don't buy Argos, "one for all", Tesco or spend more than €15

Amp only if you need and extension cable.

Location is everything. Unless there is a good signal and a window faces transmitter, indoor is a waste of money and time.

Thanks Watty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

Guys, if any of ye have any advice about this box i'd really appreciate it.

It's listed in the Saorview section of the satelliteTV.ie website, but how can i be sure this unit will work post 2012 for recieving rte??

http://www.satellitetv.ie/shop/index.php?controller=product&path=54&product_id=279

Is a 45 cm dish size good enough for clear reception etc.

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭zu

lukeeman wrote: »
    Have a hannspree 19 inch sj model picks up digital tv with an old fashion indoor ariel, but when i turn on teletext on rte1 its the regular text no video in corner. Am i doing something wrong

Same here with 25" (SJ25DMAB).
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

I've a Samsung P2370HD in the bedroom.

Digital text working on RTE2 - only normal text on RTE1. (I'm 99% sure it is this way around - I'll check again tonight)

Is this right / expected - or the sign of an incorrect country profile for MHEG5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Mheg 5 text on my philips tv.
    RTE1
    RTE2
    RTE NEWS NOW.

Yes - I forgot I also get Digital Text on RTE News Now. So it's just RTE1 where I get standard text only.

watty wrote: »
    yes

Watty finally made contact with Powercity today and they asked me to email them my problem. On phone the "Manager" informed me that there was no HD TV when I bought the set and that the HD feature only related to Gaming,Blueray etc. I told him it wasn't a "Monitor" I had bought and that Manual clearly described it as a "Digital TV". He initially undertook to email me his position but later called me back asking me to state my problem by email. I have a draft of my position ready to go. What do you think. Would you mind vetting it for me if I PM it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Martin_F wrote: »
    I've a Samsung P2370HD in the bedroom.

Digital text working on RTE2 - only normal text on RTE1. (I'm 99% sure it is this way around - I'll check again tonight)

Is this right / expected - or the sign of an incorrect country profile for MHEG5 ?

Yes, some Samsungs display teletext as you've described. My brother has one that works this way.

A Saorview certified receiver gives priority to MHEG-5 text over traditional analogue text, when MHEG-5 text available for a particular channel.

In the case of some Irish DTT compatible Samsung models priority is given to traditional analogue text over MHEG-5 text as is the case for your RTÉ 1. Your Samsung displays MHEG-5 text for RTÉ 2 and RTE News Now because neither channel carries traditional analogue text.

TV3, TG4 and 3e will only display traditional analogue text by default as they have no MHEG-5 digital text service.

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes, some Samsungs display teletext as you've described.
    A Saorview certified receiver gives priority to MHEG-5 text over traditional analogue text, when MHEG-5 text available for a particular channel.

Does anyone know if RTE plan to carry only Digital Text or if if they plan to always carry both (or just both on some channels)?

You would think long term RTE would prefer to mothball the analogue text service... even if just to save money.

Seems to me either way some folks will be disgruntled - either stuck with no text because no MHEG5 support - or stuck with analogue only even though the TV can do MHEG5.

It's a bit daft for any tv to default to analogue if digital text is present.

Only very incompatible sets will default to EBU teletext instead of MHEG5 text. It is carried in blank lines on Analogue TV, but it's actually Digital Text too. There should be a menu option on sets with non-UK country options for default data source. The problem is usually the other way round, inability to get TV3/TG4 EBU teletext because MHEG5 is working.

Freeview/Freeview HD UK sets likely will ignore the EBU teletext and only show MHEG5 based Text, so when are TG4 and TV3/3e going to add MHEG5 based text? (Some Freesat HD boxes and Sets will not display the TV3 and TG4 text as it's EBU only and the RTE MHEG5 based text is detected)

Also MHEG5 is an integral part of DTT compatibility in Ireland (link). Other things will need it too. It's not an option like Teletext was/is on Analogue only TVs.

EBU Teletext is a fixed format of service. MHEG5 is an "engine" like Java on PC or Davik on Android phone. There is no "built in" fixed MHEG5 text, the "text" is data and an MHEG5 based application to have a GUI to display the text. The GUI form of it, unlike Teletext can be changed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Does anyone know if RTE plan to carry only Digital Text or if if they plan to always carry both (or just both on some channels)?

You would think long term RTE would prefer to mothball the analogue text service... even if just to save money.

Seems to me either way some folks will be disgruntled - either stuck with no text because no MHEG5 support - or stuck with analogue only even though the TV can do MHEG5.

"Analogue" teletext is part of the Saorview spec and there is no official information regarding its end. Considering the amount of non MHEG-5 equipment out there I'd expect it to be around for a while yet.
    It's a bit daft for any tv to default to analogue if digital text is present.

The TV isn't Saorview certified.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    The TV isn't Saorview certified.

Most of us are in the same boat re certification (unless you have a walker tv) - doesn't change the stupidity of a TV's firmware.

Got to the bottom of it last night anyhow.

The P2370HD I think is a late 2009 samsung Monitor/HD TV (bought early 2010).

It has separate country profiles for Irish Analogue / Irish Digital.

It also has an enable/disable setting for digital text (this option alone makes the default to analogue text stupid). No other setting I can see other than language preferences for text.

To get digital text to work on RTE1 - I had to select UK for my Digital profile. Of course that screws up the channel location etc.

Selecting 'Other' for country - disables digital text.

The TV is good though in that it allows me to completely reorder / number the channels after a scan - so I can use UK profile and still get the normal channel order - with a few minutes work.

So - the answer to my original question was - it should work on RTE1 - and the reason it wasn't was the country profile. Before that I had assumed digital text was only on the other 2 RTE channels.

Advertisement