Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

STB wrote: »
    Moville DTT is not on yet afaik. Ch 45 (H) in the summer from what I hear.

Holywell Hill is Channel 30 now.

STB, Many thanks for your posts here ,You are a wealth of knowledge and a great help. (You and others, of course).
    Would you know if Fanad, Moville and Letterkenny transmitters will definetly broadcast dtt signals in future. Will be a great help to Inishowen if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

jonnygee wrote: »
    STB, Many thanks for your posts here ,You are a wealth of knowledge and a great help. (You and others, of course).
    Would you know if Fanad, Moville and Letterkenny transmitters will definetly broadcast dtt signals in future. Will be a great help to Inishowen if they do.

As far as I know by later this year there will be 1 main TX and 7 smaller transmitters on in Donegal including the 3 you named.

Magheraroarty, Arranmore, Malin and Glencolmcille being the others that may be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Thats great news STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

LG LE5300

just bought this from Argos,
    is recieving Irish digital, EPG, and radio.

not recieving uk tv on dvt, only on analogue.
    will we get them on dtv? or need a box?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I mentioned before that my Sony KDL 22BX200 was numbering the Irish channels from 800
    I have updated the firmware and they now start from 001

All functions - RTE 2 MHEG5 etc are fine

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

I mentioned before that my Sony KDL 22BX200 was numbering the Irish channels from 800
    I have updated the firmware and they now start from 001

All functions - RTE 2 MHEG5 etc are fine

Wish Philips would do a firmware update to address this issue:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

benmeade wrote: »

Watty mentioned recently to select UK as country and you will have Mheg5.
    Also to rename and reorder channels on philips.

Home button>user manual> setup>channels>rename and reorder.Follow on screen instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

benmeade wrote: »
    I've been in touch with Philips support (I have the model 32pfl5405h/05) and initially got the disappointing response:
    With regards to your query I have checked the specification sheet for this set and it simply does not have MHEG5 capability built in, and hence our sets simply will not pick up the altered EPG and teletext format for Ireland.

However, I pointed out a that setting the country to the UK enables MHEG5 support (Using a number of threads from this forum for evidence also that multiple users and models have had the same experience). Also showing that previous Firmware updates have corrected the MHEG5 functionality, it was a bit clearer to them that the TV does have MHEG5 support. I got the updated answer
    I have spoken to my manager regarding to your issue and we will need to escalate your case to head office, in order for me to do so could you please provide me with the following information:

Once I get this information (Serial Number, Software version, etc.) I will escalate your case to our head office for a solution for this MHEG5 issue in Ireland.

Let's see what comes of it, but until then I can run with the country set to UK and enjoy the MHEG5 enhanced Aertel, and the EPG info.

I've been in touch with Philips support (I have the model 32pfl5405h/05) and initially got the disappointing response:

However, I pointed out a that setting the country to the UK enables MHEG5 support (Using a number of threads from this forum for evidence also that multiple users and models have had the same experience). Also showing that previous Firmware updates have corrected the MHEG5 functionality, it was a bit clearer to them that the TV does have MHEG5 support. I got the updated answer

Let's see what comes of it, but until then I can run with the country set to UK and enjoy the MHEG5 enhanced Aertel, and the EPG info.
    Good work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

It is all fine and dandy saying set your location country to the UK to get Saorview teletext but the reality is that you loose all the digital radio stations doing this.
    When I rang philips support the best they could do is quote the 2009 broadcasting act and tell me to take the TV that I bought a few days ago back to the retailer.
    Why cant Philips simply update their firmware to comply with Irish digital TV standards.
    How many retailers realize that they are selling Philips TVs in 2011 that dont meet minimuim Saorview requirements.
    When I contacted Philips tech support they had the nerve to suggest that it was a signal issue that was stopping the tv from broadcating Saorview teletext eventhough I can get a good enough signal for Saorview by using rabbit's ears on my Sony TV with the country location set to Ireland.
    This is a major fault on Philips TVs and they need to resolve it promptly by ugrading their firmware.
    Their tech support guys should not be trying to suggest that it is the customer that it is at fault

• Advertisement

56lcd wrote: »
    It is all fine and dandy saying set your location country to the UK to get Saorview teletext but the reality is that you loose all the digital radio stations doing this.

I raised that with them, too and had all the threads of info from here and the Saorview Spec sheet from RTÉ NL to show them all that is needed for Saorview compliance. From my very basic understanding, it appears to meet most criteria and a firmware update should (hopefully) resolve it.

Again, I'll see what comes of it and update here if I hear anything more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Philips 32PFL8404H
    Philips xxPFL8404H
    [HTML]
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/philips-32pfl8404h-32pfl8404-20100105162.htm
    [/HTML]
    This model has the LED ambilight and not to be confused with the new LED TV's. This is a LCD television in case anyone mistakes this. Ambilight is brilliant and not a gimmick.
    Bought in August 2009 off Komplett.ie

Confirmed as compatible for Saorview.
    Scan setting must be set to UK to pick up all channels and features including MHEG5.
    Confirmed as having MHEG5 also.
    If on Ireland setting, it will only pick up the channels.

By the way the radio stations recently disappeared about a month back, any reason why??? They were found in the initial scan and saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I raised that with them, too and had all the threads of info from here and the Saorview Spec sheet from RTÉ NL to show them all that is needed for Saorview compliance. From my very basic understanding, it appears to meet most criteria and a firmware update should (hopefully) resolve it.

Again, I'll see what comes of it and update here if I hear anything more.

Good man. I previously raised the issue with the John McDonald MD Richer Sounds and more importantly the Phillips Shop Dame Street directly via PM.

If you have more contact with Phillips you might mention that the MHEG5 engine is actually on board for UK profile, but turned off in favour of MHP for Irish setup option. MHP is another which is used on the continent and is useless here. MHEG5 just needs to be enabled in Irish firmware. It is a simple fix and would enable the Phillips H range to be compliant with Saorview as MHEG5 is a basic requirement per specs first published in Feb 2008. Perhaps it might be worth mentioning that LG Samsung and Sony have managed to allow open use of MHEG5 by default in Irish country profile.

This mess can be cleaned up very quickly.

There is previous discussion thread set up on this already: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056123899
    If Marc wants to move these Phillips related posts.

Thanks STB, I've provided these details to Philips support and they appear to be taking it on board.
    I have assigned your case to our technical support team for further investigation, I have chosen your email as a prime example as I am sure head office will some your work around solution very useful, I will get back in touch as soon as I hear back from our head office on this issue.

Again, I'll keep the thread informed if there is any outcome of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good one Fingleberries and STB, at least Phillips listen to their Irish customers...unlike Panasonic who are in deep denial :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 blueflag

Well done STB and Fingleberries. Seems like movement at last from Philips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Samsung PS42C450B1WXXU Saorview working and MHEG5 OK set to Ireland biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I connected a basic rabbit ears aerial tomy Panasonic TX-P42G10L last night and ran a scan. I was delighted when all the Irish digital channels appeared with great reception. Analog was not so good.
    Teletext on the digital was old school so that means no MHEG5, right?
    Is there a firmware upgrade or hack available to make it MHEG5 compatible?

Ta,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

moz wrote: »
    Is there a firmware upgrade or hack available to make it MHEG5 compatible?
    No, contacting Panasonic is useless too, they don't even answer emails from Ireland any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Good one Fingleberries and STB, at least Phillips listen to their Irish customers...unlike Panasonic who are in deep denial :(

I'm not so sure unless I aproached it the wrong way.

I sent an EMail to Philips Customer Care today indicating that I have a 32pfl5604/h and when installing channels with the country setting set to "Ireland" MHEG5 does not work (digital teletext and EPG) but it works when set to "UK", also mentioned channel numbering. I asked will there be a firmware update to resolve the issue. This is the response I got - "Thank you for your email.
    In regards to your query I can inform you that this is an issue that is being addressed with our 2011 TV models but unfortunately it is not possible to develop a firmware upgrade because this is hardware and not a software issue, meaning it is actually the components in the TV which is the issue.
    The only way is has you have said, to set the country to the UK in order to use the full benefits of the TV.
    You can rearrange the channel list on your TV by following the link below and following the instructions detailed on page 35"

Not satisfied with the response I sent another EMail as follows -
    Jonathan,
    Thank you for your prompt response.
    I'm wondering how it is a hardware issue? MHEG5 is a specification and is already on board for the "UK" setting. The Irish specification - as far as I'm aware - is UK Profile, v1.06 which should be the same whether "UK" or "Ireland" is selected. Or is it that each country has its own PCB.
    Release Q5431_0. 26.38.14 enabled DVB-C for Switzerland and Austria. Is this not something similar? I'm still waiting for a response and will post the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No, contacting Panasonic is useless too, they don't even answer emails from Ireland any more.

Well that's a bit of a pisser. Just read up on the thread TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder about Panasonic and their pathetic attitude. I have always been a big fan with 3 tv's, dvd player and a hi-fi in recent years. Thats the end of that. I will be going to my local Panasonic centre to lodge a complaint.

timmydel1 wrote: »
    Samsung PS42C450B1WXXU Saorview working and MHEG5 OK set to Ireland biggrin.gif
    This tv seems to be great value too.
    Can you cofirm that rte2HD is working before i buy it?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timmydel1

Hi benmeade, yes RTE2HD working fine,looks great !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Anyone know if the Samsung le40c750 is compatiable with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

seen this on argos.ie earlier
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296527/Trail/searchtext%3EFREEVIEW+HD.htm
    not sure about mpeg5, think offer ends friday

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

"Freeview HD" means it must have MHEG5. But may only work properly on UK country setting.

But better with LG series nnLD450 where nn is size. Properly compatible.

Argos supposed to have a new catalogue last week Jan 2011 with Irish Compatibility clearly indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

I don't have first hand knowledge of the Walker saorview Tv's but would guess they are of the cheap & nasty type,...I notice that powercity don't offer the extended Guarantee on these tv's, a telling point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goonstriss

Hi All,

I have a Sony KDL 32W4000, bought in late 2008. The specs I can see only mention MPEG 2. I'm assuming I can't get Saorview on it. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

lensman wrote: »
    I don't have first hand knowledge of the Walker saorview Tv's but would guess they are of the cheap & nasty type,...I notice that powercity don't offer the extended Guarantee on these tv's, a telling point IMO.

Vestel, made in Turkey. As was the Mitsubishi "black diamond" and Silvercrest CRTs. Walker is the Management Buyout of the Irish Mitsubishi distribution outfit.

Many well known brand name TVs and set-box of UK High Street are Vestel. Almost all Software development is in UK and some HW R&D is in California. So many actually work better than Chinese boxes/TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

goonstriss wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a Sony KDL 32W4000, bought in late 2008. The specs I can see only mention MPEG 2. I'm assuming I can't get Saorview on it. Am I right?

If I remember correctly, that TV has MPEG 4.

Advertisement