Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conway_1

Hi, new here but have read alot of this thread. I recently bought a philips led tv model 26pfl3405 from harvey norman asked will it pick up saorview told it would so proceeded to purchase a wide band aerial later. Set up tv and a new aerial in Lahinch, Co. Clare tried full installation on ireland and uk setting but can only pick up analogue channels so just wondering if saorview signal is strong in this area or is problem on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

I had a quick look on the spec and I could see no mention of Digital Terrestial Tuner???

A tv has to have DTT tuner as well as the old analogue.

You were sold a pup as they say, and that's a bit mean.

good luck

gb

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If at all possible see it working in the shop with Digital Text , RTÉ News Now etc.

26pfl3405 - http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pfl3405_12/26pfl3405_12_pss_aen.pdf

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I had a quick look on the spec and I could see no mention of Digital Terrestial Tuner???

A tv has to have DTT tuner as well as the old analogue.

You were sold a pup as they say, and that's a bit mean.

good luck

gb

GB,

....not correct - The 3405H range DOES have an MPEG4 tuner included - I have a 22" version myslef and use it in both the ROI and the UK frequently and it receives DTT in both areas no problem.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

@Conway 1

What are the analogue channel numbers and do you receive TV3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

Hi all,

A quick question. My Sony Bravia KDL-32V5810 has an MPEG 4 tuner and picks up the Irish DTT stations through Channel 54 (3 Rock) with no problems.

However I notice that with a Walker Saorview box RTE +1 comes in but I cannot see this through the Sony tuner.

Does this mean that MPEG 4 compatibility is not necessarily Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

You will need to retune when RTE1+1 starts broadcasting at 7pm.

Verso wrote: »
    A quick question. My Sony Bravia KDL-32V5810 has an MPEG 4 tuner and picks up the Irish DTT stations through Channel 54 (3 Rock) with no problems.

However I notice that with a Walker Saorview box RTE +1 comes in but I cannot see this through the Sony tuner.

Does this mean that MPEG 4 compatibility is not necessarily Saorview?

I own the W5810 version and any changes to the multiplex requires a retune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conway_1

@Conway 1

RTE 1,2 and TG4, no TV3. Was just back in harvey norman and they said it was 26pfl3405H and that it should work on uk setting and gave me philips technical number and philips cust care so I will try a few more angles with aerial and run another installation again next time I'm there, then I will be looking for saorview approved tv if that fails

Now I am never wrong so follow this link from philips

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pfl3405_12/26pfl3405_12_pss_aen.pdf

and then this one

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pfl3405h_05/26pfl3405h_05_pss_eng.pdf

The op said said the first one and no H.

If I was him I would look very closely at the model details, usually on the back, when he gets home. If it has the H then its ok but no H no DTT.

This is bordering on sharp practice H on one model and not on another!!

Getting TG4 and not TV3 is a bit of a worry.

at the cush, check that model link, no dvb t in spec

gb

• Advertisement

Conway_1 wrote: »
    @Conway 1

RTE 1,2 and TG4, no TV3.

That could indicate you're pointing at the local Lahinch transmitter, no TV3 and no Saorview DTT from there ever.

Analogue UHF channels 40, 43, 50.

You may have to reorientate your aerial to another transmitter and maybe upgrade your aerial.

Use the coverage checker to find your nearest DTT transmitter - http://coverage.rtenl.ie/

Can you post the full model no. of the TV, does it have an H at the end?

He should be fine with a rooftop and MAGHERA. CH48. Thats about 40 miles from mast.

gb--

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Now I am never wrong so follow this link from philips

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pfl3405_12/26pfl3405_12_pss_aen.pdf

and then this one

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/26pfl3405h_05/26pfl3405h_05_pss_eng.pdf

The op said said the first one and no H.

If I was him I would look very closely at the model details, usually on the back, when he gets home. If it has the H then its ok but no H no DTT.

This is bordering on sharp practice H on one model and not on another!!

Getting TG4 and not TV3 is a bit of a worry.

at the cush, check that model link, no dvb t in spec

gb

Not sharp practice!

Philips (like most TV manufacturers) manufacture several versions of most TV dependant on which territory they are sold in.

Philips Ireland only import the 'H' MPEG4 version of each model into the ROI and the 3405 has only ever been imported into the ROI in 'H' designation.

I would respectfully suggest that the OP is in a poor reception area or is not tuning in correctly or needs to upgrade their antenna - if there is any doubt in the OP's mind we are happy to assist as a Philips retailer - they can give us a call on 01.474.0788 and we will do our very best to assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & The Philips Shop Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

Thanks DigiDec and The Cush.

I carried out a retune on the Sony and all in order. After retune RTE + 1 came through.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Colin Rogan

Am looking to get a 32" good value Sony, Samsung, or LG full HD TV that will work for Saorview (obviously since I am posting here!!).

There is a Samsung LE32C530 for €359 in Power City. I see from the first post that this works for Saorview but it is not 'approved'. I also see that the more recent and more expensive D series is fully approved.

My question here - is there anything I would miss out on by going for the C model or should I go for the D?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Am looking to get a 32" good value Sony, Samsung, or LG full HD TV that will work for Saorview (obviously since I am posting here!!).

There is a Samsung LE32C530 for €359 in Power City. I see from the first post that this works for Saorview but it is not 'approved'. I also see that the more recent and more expensive D series is fully approved.

My question here - is there anything I would miss out on by going for the C model or should I go for the D?

Im using the 40C7000, works smashing with saorview I don't even use an external aerial the tv's one works perfect. Receives rte HD and the new teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I see that Saorview have added some new product groups to their approved product listings ...

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/
    They have added Akura and Nordmende to their list. But unfortunately, they do not specify which specific products, but just link to their complete websites ..

This is a bit slack by Saorview,as it is implying that all products on their websites are approved, which they clearly are not.

I couldn't find any specific reference to Saorview on the Nordmende site and just 1 Product, the Lidl freeview box, on the Akura website ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Doylers wrote: »
    Im using the 40C7000, works smashing with saorview I don't even use an external aerial the tv's one works perfect. Receives rte HD and the new teletext.

im using the LED 40C6000 series, Soarview works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

bob11 wrote: »
    ...I couldn't find any specific reference to Saorview on the Nordmende site and just 1 Product, the Lidl freeview box, on the Akura website ..

Just be aware not Lidl but Aldi selling the Akura Saorview STB (from today). The box is featured on Akura's website. Link:
    http://www.akura.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=431&category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89

Aldi/Akura Saorview STB has its own thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056277418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Hi all,
    Have an lg 'pq6000' at home, saorview & mheg5 txt works great (except no rte1 +1).

Have an lg 'pq3000' at work, just get sound

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

bodonnell wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Have an lg 'pq6000' at home, saorview & mheg5 txt works great (except no rte1 +1).

RTE1+1 is part time, after 7pm so you need to check after 7pm or may need to "Update" the scan rather than "Add channels"

bodonnell wrote: »

Sound and no picture would indicate a non compatible MPEG-2 TV but I've read elsewhere on the boards that the PQ3000 has a compatible MPEG-4 decoder and should work. Its from the same range as the PQ6000.

Manual here - http://www.lg.com/uk/common/product/support.jsp?localeCd=uk&productId=42PQ6000&uri=/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasm-tv-42PQ6000.jsp#

Could it be the earlier PG3000, which isn't compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Anybody know if the sony kdl-46ex713u is working ok?

The newer model is listed on the saorview site kdl-XXex723.

benmeade wrote: »
    Anybody know if the sony kdl-46ex713u is working ok?

It should be OK. The tuner is DVB-T2/MPEG-4 which is backwards compatible with the Irish standard DVB-T/MPEG-4.

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4180171141.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Colin Rogan

Thanks for the responses on this. Nobody has really answered the question though - is there anything the 'approved' TVs have that the non-approved do not!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

Thanks for the responses on this. Nobody has really answered the question though - is there anything the 'approved' TVs have that the non-approved do not!

Good question
    I'd like to have a bit of clarity on this also.

Thanks for the reply cush, what about mheg5?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

- is there anything the 'approved' TVs have that the non-approved do not!

As far as I can see, no, except a certificate. If approved boxes have summertime issues, then the certification process is suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Is there anything the 'approved' TVs have that the non-approved do not!

The answer to your question is Yes and No. Some non-certified TV or Set Top Boxes may work 100% currently but things may change if for example RTE decide to use AAC audio or series link. Some non-certified TV or Set Top Boxes may work but will not display the correction time on the EPG during summer, it will be out by an hour. Some non-certified TV's or Set Top Boxes may work but the channels may start in the 800's. Some non-certified TV or Set Top Boxes may work but without the ability to display the new digital MHEG5 text and interactive service.

benmeade wrote: »
    Good question
    I'd like to have a bit of clarity on this also.

I'm afraid you can't get clarity when the water is muddy smile.gif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

AFAIK Serial link got nothing to do with the time on the TV or STB, it received a start signal and stop signal from the broadcaster and then a new time and date with a new command code.
    for example. if a program is set for say, RTE1 tonight at 10pm but something come up, maybe a newsflash so the program is delay, the box will not record on time at 10pm but wait till it received the start command.
    So it does not matter if the time is an hour off or not
    I see this happening to my LG and I set to remind me when the program is to start
    even the time from RTE DTT is still GMT and we are in summertime, the guide show the time start and hour before it should but infact did start ontime for me

Advertisement