Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jobyrne30 wrote: »

I'm afraid you can't get clarity when the water is muddy smile.gif.

Look, it is crystal clear that certification should give a box that is 100% compliant, but we hear that the Vestel boxes have some issues. Well, if it is certified, RTE NL will broadcast OTA updates so the user is automatically updated. That is a big plus, and also a guarantee.

But it will only work if the said company will produce the update for them. Are Vestel (or any other manufacturer) going to support their boxes far into the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

Just tried old Vhf aerial in Attic-Yes Vhf-receiving 18 saorview channels on ch 47-signal strength 75-

Sorry-location is north kerry-usually picking up signal on uhf from Maghera on Ch 48-

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

kevmol88 wrote: »
    Just tried old Vhf aerial in Attic-Yes Vhf-receiving 18 saorview channels on ch 47-signal strength 75-

For Saorview newbies:

Saorview is broadcasting in UHF. Your iDTV (integrated digital TV with built-in tuner) or STB (set-top box), preferably Saorview approved, should be connected to a UHF aerial.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/do-i-need-a-special-hd-digital-tv-aerial-to-get-saorview.html

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-digital-aerials.html

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/tuning-saorview/

http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

Just wondering why a Vhf aerial is picking up the signal-my uhf aerial -horizontal polarisation-is also picking up ch 47-which is vertical polarisation

• Advertisement

Vhf and Uhf aerials are NOT combined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Got a saorview set top box and it's saying no channels available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

kevmol88 wrote: »
    Vhf and Uhf aerials are NOT combined

Are you sure about that? I have a rabbit ears antenna and the sticker on the back of it says UHF/VHF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I think the other poster is referring to their own setup which consists of seperate VHF & UHF aerials which are usually combined using a diplexer (though not in this case).

Your indoor aerial will get both, if it's so labeled. The 'rabbit ear' part is usually for VHF & I suppose there's a loop for UHF if it's the usual type.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    I think the other poster is referring to their own setup which consists of seperate VHF & UHF aerials which are usually combined using a diplexer (though not in this case).

Your indoor aerial will get both, if it's so labeled. The 'rabbit ear' part is usually for VHF & I suppose there's a loop for UHF if it's the usual type.

yes that is exactly it. I also tested a rabbit ears vhf/uhf indoor aeriel and signal strength is 70-The signal from ch 47(cnoc an oir) is so strong here that a coat hangar would probably pick it up-was surprised that the 20yr old vhf aerial in attic picked it up though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Tesco ( Ireland ) have a Philips 19PFL3403/10 on sale at the moment. Can anyone tell me if its Saorview compatible as in capable of RTE2 HD and Mheg5 for digital text etc ? I would be grateful for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

thayes wrote: »
    i have the pioneer krp 500a and it receives all the channels currently beinf broadcast in dtt here in ireland. i am usinfg a one4all flat aerial. Signal strength is 100% and quality is about 80%, I have line of sight to the wicklow mountains from the city centre. The aerial has its own power supply, and I do not have 'aerial power' turned on on the tv for the digital tuner. The TV is setup with UK selected (no ireland option).
    MHEG5 seems to work fine.

I have 2 questions:

I have no EPG, can anyone suggest why the EPG is not working?

Also every so often, the picture gets pixelated and sometimes reception drops completely for a few seconds. Is this a problem with the TV?

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have a KRP-500a also and had the same non populating epg since I bought the set. Last week for the first time I hooked up a satellite feed into the media box and scanned for satellite channels, picked up all the usual FTA channels available and I was amazed to find that the DVB-T epg populated and no it's not the satellite EPG, that populated seperately. I don't have an explanation for this just wanted to let you know that at least one KRP-500a owner has managed to get the Irish DTT epg on this set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭seanin4711

approved or not I am not too bothered!
    anyone point me in the right direction?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

seanin4711 wrote: »

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=&par=10-23&keyword=saorview&action=story&image=4-webbannermiddle4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

seanin4711 wrote: »
    thanks

Check out adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

RTE Competition.
    Just noticed on RTE Aertel that they are running an MNS goal of the month competition. Nothing strange there untill you come to the prize. They are offering "A fantastic Panasonic 32" HD LCD television!". Strange then that the principal organisation behind "Saorview Approved" equipment for the Saorview service are offering an unapproved product as a prize in one of their own competitions

RTE Competition.
    Just noticed on RTE Aertel that they are running an MNS goal of the month competition. Nothing strange there untill you come to the prize. They are offering "A fantastic Panasonic 32" HD LCD television!". Strange then that the principal organisation behind "Saorview Approved" equipment for the Saorview service are offering an unapproved product as a prize in one of their own competitions

Prize may have been provided by one of the programme promoters - Phonovation, Xiam Interactive or The Irish Daily Mirror. Regardless, someone in RTE should have noticed the anomaly. Fair comment Machinehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

From the panasonic uk faq site:

Will my 2011 Panasonic television pick up Saorview when it is transmitted in my area?

The 2011 Panasonic Viera televisions have an MPEG4 H.264 High Definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Saorview channels. The 2011 models of television which have a B suffix in the model number can be used in both Ireland and Britain.

maxg wrote: »
    From the panasonic uk faq site:

Will my 2011 Panasonic television pick up Saorview when it is transmitted in my area?

The 2011 Panasonic Viera televisions have an MPEG4 H.264 High Definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Saorview channels. The 2011 models of television which have a B suffix in the model number can be used in both Ireland and Britain.

From same website:
    Will my 2010 Panasonic television pick up Saorview when it is transmitted in my area? The 2010 Panasonic Irish Viera televisions (denoted by an L suffix in the model number) have an MPEG4 H.264 High Definition tuner that is designed to receive all of the Saorview channels.

A friend's Panasonic 2010 'Irish' TV has the said MPEG H.264 HD tuner and does receive all of the Saorview channels. However, the TV doesn't have MHEG-5 middleware, doesn't receive new digital teletext and presumably will not be capable of utilizing Saorview interactive services when they come on stream. (I will find out the model number of this 2010 Panasonic 'Irish' TV over the weekend and add here.)
    The 2011 models of television which have a B suffix in the model number can be used in both Ireland and Britain.

Anybody know if the 2011 models referred to have MHEG-5 middleware? No Panasonic iDTVs are as of yet Saorview approved. Anybody know if Panasonic have submitted TVs for approval?

Model number of RTE's prize:
    "A fantastic Panasonic 32" HD LCD television!".
    would be helpful if anyone can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Toshiba 32AV713B, Mpeg 4 and Mheg 5 working perfectly. HD ready and not bad for €229 :D

just got this tv and ,i cant seem to pick up any irish digital channels on it. i dont think its mpeg4 unless i am doing something stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dvd wrote: »
    just got this tv and ,i cant seem to pick up any irish digital channels on it. i dont think its mpeg4 unless i am doing something stupid

What sort of aerial do you have attached?
    What analogue TV channels do you receive with the aerial?
    Do you know where your local TV transmitter is?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dvd

The Cush wrote: »
    What sort of aerial do you have attached?
    What analogue TV channels do you receive with the aerial?
    Do you know where your local TV transmitter is?

aerial signal is fine. have saorview on other tv's when i swap out. picks up radio fine but no tv channels ,not even the sound.
    are you saying i should have the tv channels,that the tv is compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

dvd wrote: »
    aerial signal is fine. have saorview on other tv's when i swap out. picks up radio fine but no tv channels ,not even the sound.
    are you saying i should have the tv channels,that the tv is compatible

If its new being it back, it does sound like your tuner is faulty.

Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mogsie123

hi all. i am new to this so bare with me please. yesterday i purchased a 19" Technika tv in Tesco. the operating instructions lists MPEG4 as a feature. i set it up in the kitchen and it will not pick up saorview. i tried it on a tv point where i am already receiving saorview and it still does not work. am i doing something wrong or did i buy the wrong tv. sorry if this is not the correct place to ask but i am going nuts tuning and retuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wrong TV. I don't think ANY Technika TV works.

Has it got a built in DVD player or USB stick reader? If so it's referring to PC DivX /Xvid files etc.

I think this thread is now soon going to be pointless.

1) Anyone buying a new TV should use the list here http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

2) Anyone that has a TV and gets analogue on it can quickly tell if it does Irish Digital. (Radio channels only or nothing means it doesn't). Some non-Certified TVs will not do Interactive at all, some will.

If you don't get Analogue or Digital (All Digital TVs do Analogue too, at least on UHF, if not on VHF, they should never have been sold here), then your aerial is the problem.

The best advice now is only buy a Certified TV.

it has a usb reader no dvd reader though. damn them anyway. i asked them an all if it picks up saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Return it to them and get a refund.

problem is like an idiot i hung it on the wall through the box in the bin and headed to work. box is now gone. sure i will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Worth a try anyway as its not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't need box, only proof of purchase. Yes, it will be DivX USB stick playback that is "MPEG4". Not the same MPEG4 :( as Digital TV.

Advertisement