Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Ta, tried that already huggs2, though TV is Freeview only, not Freeview HD.

Teletext issue was still present, it stuck the RTE's in the 800's as expected.

Must be a menu option to turn interactive on/off. Have a look in the manual/on screen menus.

Their tech support is in Holland via email.

http://www.aoc-europe.com/en/company/european-offices.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

What has me somewhat confused is why the TV will deliver traditional analogue Teletext/Aertel on all RTE1,TV3,TG4 channels but not on RTE2, where 'no teletext' notice is flagged onscreen.

Is there a connection between that and it not displaying digital interactive Aertel despite MHEG in the TV's spec?

What has me somewhat confused is why the TV will deliver traditional analogue Teletext/Aertel on all RTE1,TV3,TG4 channels but not on RTE2, where 'no teletext' notice is flagged onscreen.

Is there a connection between that and it not displaying digital interactive Aertel despite MHEG in the TV's spec?

RTÉ 2 doesn't transmit EBU teletext at all, which is why you get the 'no teletext' error.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Karsini wrote: »
    RTÉ 2 doesn't transmit EBU teletext at all, which is why you get the 'no teletext' error.

What happens with Subtitles?

Elmo wrote: »
    What happens with Subtitles?

Hmm, just turned MHEG-5 off on my TV to test. 888 works. So there's obviously some EBU text but subtitles only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Samsung UE40C7000 Working perfect with built in tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭championc

I bought a Pansonic G20 S model from pixmania earlier this year. Apparently is has:

• DVB-T
    • DVB-T (MPEG4)
    • DVB-C
    • DVB-C (MPEG4)

Any idea if this will work with saroview?

Also is it actually broadcasting now?

Thanks

Pity you didn't get a G20 B. This would have worked with both Saorview - DVB-T and DVB-T2 and allowed you to connect a dish for FTA satellite channels (FreesatHD) - SVB-S & DVB-S2

Is DVB-C some sort of Cable system ?

championc wrote: »
    Is DVB-C some sort of Cable system ?

Yep, it's what UPC use over cable, and also over MMDS in ex NTL areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Sony KDL40W5500 works with Irish digital and is MPEG4

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Just got a good technology Guide - (sales brochure) from Harvey Norman recently where their Sony and Samsung sets are shown as Saorview approved : http://www.harveynorman.ie/catalogues/201415-technology-guide

Spotted that they have been added to the Saorview website as well"

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

Apologies it that has been mentioned already ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nice spot Bob. LOADS of approved Sammys to add to the first post

SAORVIEW Approved iDTV:

(SW version v409.1 and above)
    PLASMA TV
    Series 4
    PS43D450
    PS51D450
    PS43D490
    PS51D495
    Series 5
    PS51D550
    PS59D550
    PS51D6900
    PS59D6900
    PS51D8000
    PS64D8000
    Series 6
    PS51D6900
    PS59D6900
    Series 8
    PS51D8000
    PS64D8000
    LCD TV
    Series 4
    LE19D450
    LE22D450
    LE26D450
    LE32D450
    Series 5
    LE32D550
    LE37D550
    LE40D550
    LE46D550
    LED TV
    4000 Series
    UE19D4000
    UE19D4010
    UE32D4020
    UE32D4000
    UE32D4010
    UE32D4020
    5000 Series
    UE22D5000
    UE22D5010
    UE22D5020
    UE27D5000
    UE27D5010
    UE27D5020
    UE32D5000
    UE37D5000
    UE40D5000
    UE46D5000
    UE32D5520
    UE37D5520
    UE40D5520
    UE46D5520
    6000 Series
    UE32D6000
    UE37D6000
    UE40D6000
    UE46D6000
    UE32D6100
    UE37D6100
    UE40D6100
    UE46D6100
    UE55D6100
    UE32D6510
    UE32D6530
    UE37D6510
    UE37D6530
    UE40D6510
    UE40D6530
    UE46D6510
    UE46D6530
    UE55D6510
    UE55D6530
    UE60D6505
    7000 Series
    UE40D7000
    UE46D7000
    UE55D7000
    8000 Series
    UE40D8000
    UE46D8000
    UE55D8000
    UE60D8000
    9000 Series
    UE46C9000
    UE46C9000
    UE55C9000
    UE55C9000
    9500 Series
    UE75D9500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FROOTPUDDIN

Hi all, I`m new to Boards..so apologies in advance if I make mistakes or bother anyone!
    I was just wondering if my tv will be able to recieve saorview,haven`t seen any mention of it here yet.It`s an LG...far as I know the model is 37LF66.
    All I have at the moment is an ancient antenna in the attic that picks up less than perfect rte1 and net2,a very snowy tg4 and no sign at all of tv3.
    Appreciate any help you guys can give.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

I was just wondering if my tv will be able to recieve saorview,haven`t seen any mention of it here yet.It`s an LG...far as I know the model is 37LF66.
    I doubt it. The LG37LF66's integrated 'Freeview' digital tuner appears to be DVB-T (MPEG2). You will need a set-top box (STB) to receive Saorview on that TV. Have a read HERE and HERE to see what's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hi all, I`m new to Boards..so apologies in advance if I make mistakes or bother anyone!
    All I have at the moment is an ancient antenna in the attic that picks up less than perfect rte1 and net2,a very snowy tg4 and no sign at all of tv3.
    Appreciate any help you guys can give.Thanks.

Welcome to the boards.

No TV3 could indicate your aerial is pointing at a relay transmitter not carrying TV3.

Less than perfect RTÉ1 & 2 (hasn't been Network 2 since 2004) and snowy TG4 could indicate wrong (ancient - VHF?) aerial in the attic and/or the received signal is attenuated (reduced) becauce the aerial is located in the attic (external aerial is generally better).

Can you post a picture of the aerial or link to a similar one on the internet?
    What are the UHF channel numbers or frequencies of the channels you are receiving, this would indicate which transmitter you are receiving analogue TV from and if this transmitter has been upgraded for Saorview DTT.

As PressTheButton posted if the TV isn't MPEG-4 compatible you will require a STB to receive the digital channels with that TV otherwise an iDTV is required.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question,appreciate it. Somehow I knew my telly would be one of those "not working" ones!!...I must be jinxed when it comes to stuff like this!! Looks like i`ll be in the market for a magic box one day soon so! Thanks again.

Thanks for replying.Sounds like it would be a good idea to get myself a decent aeriel and stick it outside...looks like I`ll be needing it anyhow. I think I`ll be pointing at Cnoc An Oir in order to get Saorview,that would seem to be the nearest anyway. Think you might be right about the aeriel in the attic..probably a vhf.Never had any luck with tv reception here anyway...although my approach has been far from scientific to be honest..mostly a lot of running up and down ladders and lots of shouting! Thanks for taking the time to reply to me,I`ll keep an eye on things here and see how it goes.
    Actually...thanks to all of you for all the information on the whole Saorview "thing"...not much help to be had elsewhere..least of all on the official Saorview site...so big thanks all `round.

If the telly is less than a year old then bring it back to the shop that sold you a pup UK TV that would not work here and get a refund.

Cnoc an Óir is a group C/D aerial polarised vertical or a wideband polarised vertical. Your pup will confirm a signal and strength reading on Channel 47 even if you can see nothing. Cnoc an Oir should be testing now or shortly, I have not heard TBH.

Read Wattys Guide .

http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

The top picture is a wideband polarised HORIZONTAL. Polarisation refers to the orientation of the x shaped elements which must be on the transmitter side with the mesh on the far side.

The second picture is a simple UHF aerial polarised horizontal ( the teeth)

Get a €10 c/d aerial from tvtrade.ie if you are close to Cnoc an óir and try it in the attic first.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If the telly is less than a year old then bring it back to the shop that sold you a pup UK TV that would not work here and get a refund.

SB,

Unlikely to be under a year old unless it was seriously lurking out the back of some stock-room - that TV was a finished line about 3 years ago now - it was actually quite a decent unit to be fair (and pretty pricey to boot) (ie not a pup :-) ) but AFAIK it def won't work with MPEG4

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Cnoc an Óir is a group C/D aerial polarised vertical or a wideband polarised vertical. Your pup will confirm a signal and strength reading on Channel 47 even if you can see nothing...
    Get a €10 c/d aerial from tvtrade.ie if you are close to Cnoc an óir and try it in the attic first.
    Cnoc an Óir: Channel 47. V Polarization.
    SB, please clarify aerial recommendation:
    Green Group CD UHF Aerial: Channels 48-68
    or
    Yellow Group B UHF Aerial: Channels 35-53.

CH47 Group B not C/D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hi guys, seen this for sale in DID and it looks the part, it has mpeg4 and mheg5, does this mean its good for Saorview
    http://www.did.ie/Product/HANNSPREE-32andquot-FULL-HD-LCD-MPEG4-SJ32DMBB/18194/500

Yep it works ok, picture and epg, sweet

Cnoc an Óir is a group C/D aerial polarised vertical or a wideband polarised vertical. Your pup will confirm a signal and strength reading on Channel 47 even if you can see nothing. Cnoc an Oir should be testing now or shortly, I have not heard TBH.

Read Wattys Guide .

http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

The top picture is a wideband polarised HORIZONTAL. Polarisation refers to the orientation of the x shaped elements which must be on the transmitter side with the mesh on the far side.

The second picture is a simple UHF aerial polarised horizontal ( the teeth)

Thanks for this SpongeBob.Guess I must have this tv about two or three years now...so no point in taking it back to the shop I`m guessing.Still,I`ve no other complaints about the tv so I`ll probably just get a box and be done with it...couldn`t afford a new tv anyway!! Thanks also for the tips on aeriels.Whatever I decide i`ll let you guys know how well it works out.Big thanks again.

SB,

Unlikely to be under a year old unless it was seriously lurking out the back of some stock-room - that TV was a finished line about 3 years ago now - it was actually quite a decent unit to be fair (and pretty pricey to boot) (ie not a pup :-) ) but AFAIK it def won't work with MPEG4

ATVB,

John Mc

Yeah,must be about that long since I made the journey to Harvey Normans and brought her home...I`d hate to part with her now after all the time we`ve spent together...
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me out..much appreciated.

I see that LG has been added to the approved Saorview Sets now ...

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/lg/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laisvis

Anyone know if the Samsung PS42B451 is working with Saorview?

It's not on the officially approved list, but this model is : PS43D450

Full List of Samsungs is here:

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/samsung/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laisvis

Ive tried it but it dosent find any "digital channels", maybe it dosent have mpeg4. I think it works for freeview tho

laisvis wrote: »
    Ive tried it but it dosent find any "digital channels", maybe it dosent have mpeg4. I think it works for freeview tho

Doing a quick search it appears to be MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) and this from the manual
    Digital TV (DVB-T) Notice

1. Functionalities related to Digital TV(DVB) are only available in countries/areas where DVB-T (MPEG2 and MPEG4 AVC) digital terrestrial signals are broadcasted or where you have access to a compatible DVB-C(MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC) cable-TV service. Please check with your local dealer the possibility to receive DVB-T or DVB-C signal.

Where are located and what type of aerial are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

Would a Saorview box work on an all-in-one pc monitor which has an integrated tv tuner? Particularly, the Sony Vaio VGC-LV1S?

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    Would a Saorview box work on an all-in-one pc monitor which has an integrated tv tuner? Particularly, the Sony Vaio VGC-LV1S?

A Saorview box has the tuner built in, the monitor only displays the output from the receiver. A scart or HDMI connector required.

Advertisement