Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

And for those just joining who have bypassed Post #1

[size=+2]After you scan, if your TV has sound but No Pictures (or maybe nothing at all) - it's then a UK Freeview TV and your TV will NEVER work with Irish Digital and you'll need a Set Top Box or new TV with an MPEG-4 Tuner

And if you know already that it's a Freeview enabled TV, then possibly no point in even bothering to try scanning for Saorview
    [/size]

The only Freeview kit that MAY work is FreeviewHD Only. Freeview HD is only a year or so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Apologies, can't remember if my telly is Freeview certified or FreeviewHD (it's at home and I've no idea where the manual is). The specs on the LG site are useless unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

CorkMan wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Samsung le40c750 is compatiable with Saorview.

Anyone ever find an answer to this?
    thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mathie wrote: »
    thanks

c650 works (mhegs is country dependant, so i imagine the c750 should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laisvis

The Cush wrote: »

Where are located and what type of aerial are you using?

Im in South Tipp (Cashel), have no idea what aerial im using. I can recieve TV3 and TG4. Tried doing a quick search but nothing found. Any ideas :confused:
    Also on the Saorview website it says I should be able to recieve it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

laisvis wrote: »
    Im in South Tipp (Cashel), have no idea what aerial im using. I can recieve TV3 and TG4. Tried doing a quick search but nothing found. Any ideas :confused:
    Also on the Saorview website it says I should be able to recieve it

If you get all 4 analogue channels with that TV (Samsung PS42B451) connected directly to an aerial it should receive the digital channels no problem. Is there a separate digital tuning menu in that TV? Try a full reset of the TV and install with Ireland as the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭xlogo

That's analogue UPC cable.

You require a TV aerial for the Saorview channels, outdoor or attic for the 3 Rock transmitter SE of you .

You could try a cheap set top aerial just for fun and see how you get on.

All sorted, thanks to all.

Is there a recommeded Aeriel for this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 laisvis

If you get all 4 analogue channels with that TV (Samsung PS42B451) connected directly to an aerial it should receive the digital channels no problem. Is there a separate digital tuning menu in that TV? Try a full reset of the TV and install with Ireland as the country.

In its menu I go into Automatic Search (or something like that) > Aerial > Digital
    I think im doing it right. Tried changing the country to UK, Italy and "Other" but still nothing. I think its the aerial. Maybe I should do an update on it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

can anyone recommend a 22inch tv that will support mpeg4/5 parents are looking for something for a holiday home

xlogo wrote: »
    All sorted, thanks to all.

Is there a recommeded Aeriel for this ??

This one for Three Rock Ch 54 (Group CD UHF aerial) - http://www.tvtrade.ie/green-group-cd-uhf-aerial.html

• Advertisement

laisvis wrote: »
    I think im doing it right. Tried changing the country to UK, Italy and "Other" but still nothing. I think its the aerial. Maybe I should do an update on it? :confused:

Could be the wrong group aerial for DTT.

If you are receiving analogue TV3 (Ch 26)/TG4 (Ch 23) from Mt Leinster with a Group A UHF aerial you may have to upgrade your aerial for DTT (Ch 45) from there to Group B (35–53) for DTT only.

If you both want analogue and DTT from there a Group K (21-48) or Group W (21-69) would be required.

Kilduff (Ch 52) may also be available in Cashel.

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/coverage-map/

http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-and-radio-aerials/uhf-aerials.html

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

mathie wrote: »
    thanks

Mathie,I have theSamsung [le40B750]and everything works fine with Saorview including MHEG5 when it is set to UK,puts the channels in the 800s though.So the le40C750 should work fine as it is the model that replaces the B one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Have you tried the text on all channels? My brothers Samsung (different model) displays digital text on some channels and analogue text on others.

Do you get any text on RTÉ 2, RTÉ News Now, RTÉjr?

Ya, a page comes up for them all but no writing or anything so I'm assuming its not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

championc wrote: »
    Just checked my G20B - RTE2 and all's OK. The audio automatically goes to Eng. RTE1 also has the default as Eng.

C

Cheers. All seems OK now. Must have been a temporary glitch. Stream is now on eng again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi lads, not sure where I would ask this so I just put it here.....
    I'm using an aerial with my hd tv and receiving all the channels at the moment but this mean I will recieve them in the future? Not sure if my tv is compliant or whatever
    Thanks

I'm using an aerial with my hd tv and receiving all the channels at the moment but this mean I will recieve them in the future?

Yes, the service is now fully operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Yes, the service is now fully operational.

Thanks. I thought it would switch off sometime and that then I would have to invest in a set top box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Folks,

I have a toshiba 40RV733F. From googling it looks like it has an mpeg4 decoder/tuner. When I do a scan for digital channels I get nowt. Thoughts?

Am in the IFSC in dublin btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

I thought I had posted in here already but I'd jus like to post that the LG M2762D 27" TV from Dixons work with Saorview perfectly with MHEG5 and every single feature necessary works fine as well. It's a 1080p TV as well so RTE 2 HD looks amazing on it. I think it's actually sold as a computer monitor on some sites which I also use it as but it's sold as a TV in Dixons.

I have a toshiba 40RV733F. From googling it looks like it has an mpeg4 decoder/tuner. When I do a scan for digital channels I get nowt. Thoughts?

Am in the IFSC in dublin btw.

What sort of aerial do you have attached to the TV?

• Advertisement

I just stuck in the ntl/UPC cable from the wall point. I assume it'll have the Rte channels for free or am I being naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I just stuck in the ntl/UPC cable from the wall point. I assume it'll have the Rte channels for free or am I being naive?

Misinformed maybe ... RTE's new digital platform Saorview requires an Aerial, it has nothing to do with SKY or UPC. If you are lucky you'll get the signal on a cheap rabbit's ear aerial that you can find for 4 euro in any Euro-saver shop.

Deadly, sure I can always repurpose a coat hanger!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Picked up a LG 32LE4900 in Currys

No country setting (that I could find) but switching off Automatic Numbering before a scan will put Saorview channels starting at position 1, otherwise it starts at 800.

GMT time offset is changeable so no problems with EPG times etc

MHEG5 teletext works fine on RTE though don't seem to have "normal" text on other channels - not really a problem for me but just be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Picked up a LG 32LE4900 in Currys

No country setting (that I could find) but switching off Automatic Numbering before a scan will put Saorview channels starting at position 1, otherwise it starts at 800.

GMT time offset is changeable so no problems with EPG times etc

MHEG5 teletext works fine on RTE though don't seem to have "normal" text on other channels - not really a problem for me but just be aware of it.
    If you can not get normal teletext, EBU, then also you will not get subtitles for the hard of hearing as RTE use Teletext for subtitle, UK use DVB for subtitles, hence that why my LG does not access Teletext or subtitles.
    able to get MHEG digital text...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Ok. Not sure what my problem is, I have a Panasonic P42G10B bought in the North about 18 months ago. With an internal aerial plugged in I can get all the digital radio channels but no TV channels at all. I used to be able to get the digital TV channels, the RTE news channel etc. up until a couple of months ago. Are the digital radio channels on a different system? My instructions say I have DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T. have I lost the Saorview channels now that the system has "launched"? I thought the fact that I used to have them meant I would have them for good?

Oops. Signal quality on my radio stations has dropped to zero. There go my radio stations as well.

And now back again. Sheesh

ankles wrote: »
    Ok. Not sure what my problem is, I have a Panasonic P42G10B bought in the North about 18 months ago. With an internal aerial plugged in I can get all the digital radio channels but no TV channels at all. I used to be able to get the digital TV channels, the RTE news channel etc. up until a couple of months ago. Are the digital radio channels on a different system? My instructions say I have DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T. have I lost the Saorview channels now that the system has "launched"? I thought the fact that I used to have them meant I would have them for good?

Oops. Signal quality on my radio stations has dropped to zero. There go my radio stations as well.

And now back again. Sheesh

Loss of the radio channels is probably down to inadequate signal strength/quality from the internal aerial, outdoor or attic type may be required.

Loss of the TV channels could be down to the Panasonic 0x16 / 0x19 Service Type problem - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72048195.

Do a search here on the boards for your TV model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find anything on it, I have the Philips 32PFL7694H/12, although it is not on the list I was told in store that this is compatible with saorview, can anyone clarify this? If it is do I just need to download an update?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find anything on it, I have the Philips 32PFL7694H/12, although it is not on the list I was told in store that this is compatible with saorview, can anyone clarify this? If it is do I just need to download an update?

Thanks,

Everything you need to know is here including the latest firmware update.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=32PFL7694H/12&slg=en&scy=IE
    It will get you Saorview but you need to select "UK" as you country setting before tuning.You will probably have the guide times out by one hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

huggs2 wrote: »
    Everything you need to know is here including the latest firmware update.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=32PFL7694H/12&slg=en&scy=IE
    It will get you Saorview but you need to select "UK" as you country setting before tuning.You will probably have the guide times out by one hour.

Just did everything there and it worked a charm, thanks a million.

Watching the Cork match in HD now its great.

Thanks again.

Advertisement